I/III

I Like Me Better
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Mina and parties don't go well together most of the time. She enjoys the company of her friends and the memories they create together during the parties but sometimes she just rather be in her house and just confine herself in her room.

But tonight is not that kind of night where Mina will just be in her bedroom because her friends have better plans than that.

(It's Friday and Mina was planning on binge watching an American series when Sana texted her.

"Come to my house asap. It's an emergency!"

She got worried right on the spot halfway the message and bolted towards their main door and opened the gate hastily then headed to the household of Minatozaki family which is fortunately just beside their own. Mina didn't waste any time and proceeded to press the doorbell button repeatedly.

The gate swung open after a few seconds and Mina stopped her finger from pressing the button.

"WHAT'S YOUR PROBL-" The person who opened the gate was about to curse at the 'annoying' person behind the gate but stopped in mid sentence when she realized it was Mina, the best friend of her daughter.

"-Oh Mina! Sweetie, what's the problem? Why were you assaulting our doorbell button?" The creases on the forehead of Mrs. Minatozaki are suddenly gone because come on, it's Mina in front of her and that kid has always been nice to her family especially to her daughter.

"I'm very sorry for what I did. I'm just really worried because of what Sana texted me. Is she alright?" Mina's voice drips with concern as she was talking to the older woman in front of her.

"Sana? We were just talking earlier in the kitchen before she said she'll take a bath." Sana's mother widens the opening of the gate and gestures Mina to get in.

"Can I go to her room now?" Mina asks before proceeding on going to Sana's room.

Mrs. Minatozaki's head tilts in confusion because she and her daughter were just having a nice conversation earlier and is sure that there wasn't something off.

"Go ahead, sweetie. Tell me if she's fine okay?" Mina nodded and managed to give a small smile despite the fact that she's deadass worried about her best friend.

Mina went straight to Sana's room and knocked, actually she was banging the door while saying 'Sana, open this door now!' and 'Faster or I'll kick this open!'

Mina was about to slam her palm on the door again when it suddenly opened and was welcomed by her best friend's grin.

"Minaring! I'm glad you're finally here. We'll be late to the party so just wear the clothes I prepared for you" Sana grabs Mina's hand and leads her inside the room after gently kicking the door to close it.

Okay, what? Why is Sana in full makeup and dressed in her usual party outfit?

Mina thought.

"Wait, what's going on? I thought there's an emergency?" Mina's face screams confusion. "Yes, there is an emergency! We will be late to the party that Jackson is throwing tonight." Sana states in a matter of fact tone while still leading Mina towards her bed where the clothes are neatly placed.

Mina sighs in relief and in exasperation after finally grasping what's going on. Relieve that her best friend is fine and exasperated at the fact that she's being 'forced' to attend another party.

Party is fun but Mina had plans tonight of watching the series that her brother recommended but looks like she has to do that next time. With a defeated sigh, Mina didn't have to question or protest anymore because Sana will only give her a pouty face and start sulking and Mina can't resist that, never.)

Mina should be in the living room to dance with her friends, talk to strangers (who are not totally strangers since they're all her schoolmates), get drunk and hook up with a cute guy... or a girl that she can be with until the party ends.

But Mina being Mina, she's currently in the kitchen island and seated on the counter while munching on the bowl of chips which is placed beside her.

It's not like she doesn't want to be with her friends or meet new people. It's just that she feels like she doesn't belong out 'there' most of the time, so with earphones plugged into her ears, she hums along to the song that is currently playing while bobbing her head to the rhythm.

With the volume at its highest peak, the person who walked inside the kitchen went unnoticed and unseen since Mina's back was facing the door.

Mina takes a sip from the red cup which only contains orange juice that she managed to find inside the fridge behind her. It wasn't the best orange juice she had but it was better than the beer that Sana offered her earlier. She drinks but she gets picky at times and her taste buds don't like bitterness that much.

The song just ended when the stranger called for Mina's attention by saying 'hey' multiple times.

As much as she wants to have the entire place for herself, she knows that from time to time someone will enter and grab something to eat or drink from the fridge. So she wasn't surprised when she looked over her shoulder and found a girl who's wearing a white crop top beneath her red flannel shirt and ripped jeans to match her upper wear.

Mina didn't mean to look at her for too long or appear like she was checking her out but she guessed that was what it looked like to the person behind her because the right corner of the latter's lips raise upward and was looking so proud or like she expected for Mina to 'look' at her like that.

Actually the person behind her isn't really a new face to Mina. She knows her. Not personally but she always see her because they're basically in the same section.

Yoo Jeongyeon

She never got the chance to talk to her despite being classmates this school year. It's not like she's afraid to talk to her or something. It's just that Jeongyeon and her don't belong in the same sphere or to put it simply, it will be weird to see them talking to each other.

Should I say hi?

Mina brings her gaze back to the wall she was looking at earlier then begins to contemplate whether she will say hi or just look back again to wave.

But before Mina can even look over her shoulder again, Jeongyeon walks around the counter then halts in front of her with a small smile lingering on her face.

"Hi–

"Which one do you think is tastier?" Jeongyeon didn't mean to cut Mina's words and she wasn't able to hear Mina, obviously.

"This one..." Jeongyeon raises a green canned beer with a little red star on the middle of it. "... or this one?" Jeongyeon raises a gray can this time with four letters printed on the surface of the can.

Mina squints her eyes to get a better look of the two cans that Jeongyeon was holding and tries to read the name of the two beers.

Heineken.... Cass…

She knows that those two brands of beer are popular and have seen it in the other parties she attended before but she never got the chance to taste any of the two. So with a shy smile, she scratches the back of her head before opening to give her answer.

"Actually... I never tasted those and uhm you shouldn't ask for my opinion since I'm only drinking an orange juice in this kickass party." Mina raises the red cup beside her before looking down to hide her flushed face that's caused by the embarrassing situation she's currently in.

Mina wouldn't get mad if the girl in front of her will laugh or mock her for drinking a freaking orange juice in a party. She will actually laugh with Jeongyeon if the latter will make fun of her because who the hell drinks an orange juice while all your friends are getting lit with beer in their hands.

It's Mina, she's that one person who drinks an orange juice instead of a beer in an awesome party. She was ready to be made fun of Jeongyeon but few minutes have passed and she didn't get a response from the other girl.

Great, now she thinks I'm a weirdo and I left her speechless.

Mina takes a peek of Jeongyeon and the latter is actually smiling at her. Not the kind of smile that makes Mina feel like she was being mocked but Jeongyeon's smile is actually genuine. The very first time Mina sees Jeongyeon smile. It's not like the latter doesn't smile, she does but she never smiled for Mina. They never exchanged greetings before nor smiled to each other.

"That's cute. I think I will have what you're currently having." Jeongyeon takes a step closer to Mina before she places the cans of beer on the counter. She hoists herself up then settles beside Mina who's still confused at the fact that Jeongyeon just said that.

"Do you mind?"

"H-huh?" Mina blinks in confusion with the sudden question from the other girl.

Jeongyeon lets out a chuckle before speaking again. "Do you mind me sitting beside you?"

Mina realizes that Jeongyeon is indeed beside her and Jeongyeon is not exactly far from her. Their elbows are just inches apart and are bound to rub one another if someone will move a bit from their place.

"No... Uhm I don't mind."

"Wait, how rude of me to not introduce myself." Jeongyeon offers her left hand for a handshake and Mina hesitantly reaches for it but eventually grips on Jeongyeon's hand and starts shaking it gently.

"I'm Jeongyeon, Yoo Jeongyeon."

I know. You're actually my classmate.

"You know?"

Screw it. Did I say that out loud?!

Mina was about to defend herself when Jeongyeon starts to speak up again.

"Are you like my schoolmate or something?"

"We're actually in the same section. I'm Myoui Mina."

"Nice to meet you Mina. I'm sorry for not recognizing you. It's just that I rarely attend my classes and I'm bad at remembering faces."

Yes, Jeongyeon is often missing in some classes. The teachers have stopped caring why she's always cutting classes or why she's absent for the whole day. It's not like Jeongyeon tells them the reason why and sending her to the guidance office is futile since she just keeps on repeating her misconducts in the school. There are rumors that she often cut classes because she goes to the nearby pub to drink with her friends but was never proven. It's just the students' assumptions so they have something to believe in. Jeongyeon didn't clear up the 'rumors' about her because it's not like she needs to please everyone. Basically, she doesn't care if almost everyone in their school sees her as the student who will fail in life.

She believes that you won't be happy in life you'll keep on caring about what people think about you.

Mina never judged Jeongyeon because of two reasons. First, they don't know each other and she's not in the position to judge her and lastly, Mina is not the kind of person who believes in rumors. She's the 'to see is to believe' type of person.

"It's okay. I'm not really expecting everyone to remember me anyway." Mina didn't mean to sound like she was sad about it but it's not like she lied when she said that.

Mina is just there.

She doesn't feel like she's fully living her life which hinders her from meeting new people, so she understands why most of the people around her don't remember her or maybe it's the fact that she's having a hard time opening up to strangers or acquaintances. She thinks that her friends are enough for her and she unintentionally closes the door for some people who want to be part of her life. It's not about trust issues. It's about letting other people get to know her. She's not really fond of feeling exposed to many people, so she confines herself with her family and friends only.

Jeongyeon's head turns towards Mina's direction and she stares at her, checking if Mina's words are mirroring her facade. And Jeongyeon's intuition is right. The girl beside her is indeed unhappy with her situation. Jeongyeon's not the type to interfere with other people's life but Mina is different. It's like she's unknowingly asking Jeongyeon to talk to her or just simply make her open up. Jeongyeon thinks that there's more to Mina and she will not just be the girl that she met in a party who drinks an orange juice instead of a beer.

Mina will be more than that for her.

"Well expect me to remember you, Myoui. Don't forget me too okay?"

Jeongyeon gives Mina a huge smile and the latter can't help it but also reply with a smile. A more genuine and comfortable smile unlike the other one she did a while ago.

"So... May I know why you're here by yourself?"

Mina plays with the brim of the cup she's holding with her fingers, currently thinking what she will reply to the girl beside her. She raises the cup and brings it to her lips to take a sip before speaking up.

"I... I just feel like I belong here."

"Not out there where you can have fun and meet new people?"

"Yeah... Just right here."

Jeongyeon continues to look at the girl beside her, listening intently to whatever she is saying when suddenly an idea pops in her head. A playful smile suddenly lingers on her lips then she reaches for the cans beside her.

"Well let's not give a damn about them then. Let's have fun here. Just the two of us."

Mina's brows furrow in confusion before she faces the girl beside her. "Do something fun here? Like what?"

"We will play a game but don't worry it won't be 'truth or dare' this game is more fun. Are you in?"

"Well as long as it won't involve me dancing in this kitchen, I guess I'm in." Mina ended her words with a giggle before nodding her head to urge Jeongyeon to introduce the mechanics of the game.

Jeongyeon reaches for the cans of beer she was holding earlier and places it between her and Mina. After doing so, she asks Mina to sit properly by facing her and crossing her legs while her feet are place on the opposing thighs. Jeongyeon did the same and she started to talk about the game.

"The game is easy but it's really fun I promise you. We will state something and if you already experienced or did it, you will take a sip of the beer here." Jeongyeon teases while slowly waving the can of beer.

"Hey! I don't think that's fair. I feel like you will ask me things that I already did and you'll make me drink the beer all by myself."

Jeongyeon shrugs her shoulders rather confidently before speaking up again. "Well don't blame me if I will state something that you already experienced."

"But-"

Mina was cut short when Jeongyeon shushed her. "Before you complain Myoui, let me finish the mechanics."

"Fine."

"Alright, so as I was saying, you will take a sip of this beer if you already did what I stated or you already experienced it. The game is really simple and I don't want dares to be part of it. There are no boundaries in this game. If your statement for me will be too personal, I won't mind. But since I'm nice, I will ask you if I can be too personal or if you don't want me to. What do you say?"

Mina thinks thoroughly if she'll let the girl she just talked to few minutes ago to invade her personal matters and she knows to herself that she's not real

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter