Oneshot

The memories, the pain.

“The number you have dialled,,,,,,” It was almost 12 in the midnight. Jung kook still did not pick up your call. He promised to pick you up at 11:30 in front of your workplace. You put your hands inside the pocket, the wind hastily blowing with the smell of the wet rain. You made a friction between your hands to keep them warm.

A motorcycle arrived in front of you few minute after you called Jungkook. The guy on the motorbike then took off his helmet, waving his hair with his little fingers. You eyes then stuck in to his warm gaze. You took a step back thinking if he would do bad thing towards you.

“Are you Y/N ?”

He slowly pointed out towards you as if he knows that you felt little uncomfortable of his sudden present in the middle of the night. You slowly nodded.

“Oh. Hi. I’m Jimin, Jung kook’s friend. He told me he couldn’t make it tonight, so he sent me here to pick you up instead. Are you okay with that?”

You were still confused of what is happening. You wrinkled your forehead. Jungkook really hates it if someone breaks their promises. “He should have called me at first though”.  

Jimin hesitated. “Umm. He’s really busy today. that’s why…” with his little awkward laughs.

You decided to take a taxi instead. Loudly sighed in front of Jimin out of anger towards Jungkook, you then told Jimin you would want to take a taxi. Jimin tried hard to make you go home with him because if anything happen to you, it’s Jimin’s responsible. Jimin also felt sorry and concerned if you have waited for Jungkook for so long in this cold winter weather.

Jimin apologised for riding a motorbike instead of a car. The weather was cold . He was in rush that he forgot he should have riding a car.

You were so mad at Jungkook that you forgot to say thank you to Jimin for sending you home.

The next morning you woke up, you received 8 missed calls and 1 message from Jungkook. You were startled because you didn’t even hear it ringing while you were sleeping. But at the same time you were still mad at him for what happened last night. That one message from Jungkook was written,

“I’m so sorry for what happened last night. I couldn’t pick you up and didn’t even tell you before hand. Answer my call please :(“

You then decided to call him back. He wanted to meet you at a your normal dating location. His favourite cafe. You quickly cleaned up the room and dressed up in pink over sized hoodie with jeans.

The cafe takes only 2 stations from the station near your apartment. You took off from the train and checked on your phone if Jungkook texted you. None of the messages you received from jungkook. You quickly ran towards outside of the station thinking Jungkook is already there and waiting for you.

There it is. His favourite cafe.

“Babe~!”

That endearing voice you heard calling you from the corner of the cafe with a cup of hot latte in front of him as soon as you entered the cafe. Jungkook wore a dark blue hoodie with black pants. You giggled by yourself after saw how cute he was.

“You look so pretty as usual…… I miss you”

Jung kook started the conversation with his little cough. You can’t help but blushing. Jung kook then held your hand. His hands were so cold that made you felt like wrapping him with a cozy blanket. You saw his new black bracelet wrapped around his right hand. You wrapped his hands with yours and said “i miss you too”.

Jung kook kept on coughing. You were concerned if he caught cold or sick but he just ignored it and continue staring at you with his puppy eyes. You called the waiter to order a hot drink. Hot strawberry chocolate was your choice. You then continued to caress his hands and his hands caressed yours back.

“Jimin picked you up last night wasn’t it?”

You nodded.

“He’s really nice. He helped me a lot and takes a very good care of me since we were really young.”

Your face looked completely bewildered. You asked Jungkook, “You knew him since you were young?”

Jung kook smiled. “Yes. He was my best friend ever since I moved to countryside. The other children used to bully him cuz he was chubby.. “ Jungkook laughed.

Your hot strawberry chocolate arrived. You then took jungkook’s hands and wrapped them around your hot strawberry chocolate cup as it was warm while Jung kook kept on talking about Jimin to you.

“He still lives in countryside with his parents, the place where we both grew up together before i moved here. Oh he came here 3 months ago, he got an offer working under MX company. He lives with us, my family for now. Aaaah I don’t want him to leave me again..” Jung kook pouted.

You just smiled while listening to Jungkook’s story.

“Wait! So jimin was the one who picked up my call on that day? When you were taking a bath?”  You asked him.

Jung kook was frozen by your question for few seconds. “Well, y-yeahh..” Jung kook stuttered.

After a while, you enjoyed your hot strawberry chocolate. You realised jungkook’s coughing getting louder. You asked if he was okay. he nodded, ignored his coughing and cutely had his hot latte. Jungkook offered you to go outside for a walk with you. You agreed and quickly leave the cafe.

Jung kook took you left hand and put it in the pocket of his hoodie. You hugged his right arm tightly and placed your head on it.

“*cough cough*”

Jung kook coughed getting really harder this time. He seemed tired at first. You  ignored as he said he was okay. But then his steps were also getting slower and weaker. He constantly coughed while trying to hide his face away from you so you can’t see his sick face. You saw his face, his lips changed from red cherry lips to white. His eyes were red. You immediately asked him to sit on the bench nearby. You held his face.

“Babe are you okay?! Should we go to hospital?”

Jung kook held your hand from his face. He smiled and said “I’m completely okay!” You shaken your head. You quickly grabbed your phone to call a taxi.

Suddenly Jungkook’s phone rang. He picked up his phone. He then suddenly dropped his phone, his body got really weak that you had to support his shoulder. You started to cry. his name. You took his phone and saw Jimin’s name on the screen.

“Hello? Jimin ssi? I need help! Jung kook doesn’t seem fine! Please come here quickly, please!!” Your tears falling down as you told Jimin the location where you and jungkoook at in the moment. Jimin said he’d be there in few minutes. You looked at Jungkook’s face. He looked at you and wiped your tears while hardly coughing.

“Stop crying! I’m gonna be okay!” said Jungkook.

You shaken you head and cried in fear.

“Ya Jungkook!”  That voice you heard not far away from you and Jungkook. Jimin then showed up. His face looked as he is really scared and worried of Jungkook. He quickly lifted jungkook up inside his car and brought us to the hospital.

Jung kook coughed out blood. His eyes were half closed. You tried to wiped the blood with tissues. Your hands were half covered with his blood.You hugged Jungkook to calm him down. Your tears fell down on his face. Jung kook couldn’t even lift up his face, he slowly held your hand tightly. You knew he tried to tell you to stop crying, but that made you teared up even more. You told Jimin to drive as quickly.

As soon as you arrived at the hospital, jungkook was brought  in to an emergency room. Jimin and I were told to wait outside the room. You saw Jimin held his head and roughly wiped his tears. He quickly grabbed his phone from his pocket to call Jungkook’s parents. You sat down on the chair and prayed to God so Jungkook would be fine. You were still thinking of what is happening to him. He was fine until this evening. You blamed yourself for not taking care of him.

Later on, his parents came up while crying and you saw his mom’s faces really red. His parents went to Jimin and asked if he was okay. Jimin told them the doctor is checking on him inside the emergency room. You tried to calm down and greet his parents. Jimin opened up little conversation while introduce you to his parents about you.

“Oh so you’re Y/N? Jung kook always told me about you.” Jung kook’s mom sobbing.

You paused. And immediately burst into tears. His mom then hugged you. You both cried and praying that Jungkook will be conscious.

After almost an hour, a doctor then came out of the room. Everyone quickly stood up and rushed towards the doctor. You held both of your cold hands hoping that it would be a good news.

“His condition is really really weak as he’s already in 4th stage. He doesn’t have enough time.” The doctor then loudly sigh. You couldn’t even breathe properly anymore.  You heart beating faster than ever.

“Jung kook wants to meet everyone.. Please.” Doctor then pointed his hand towards the room door.

Everyone rushed inside the room. His mom hugged him followed by his dad behind his mom trying to calm them down. I stood next to jimin in front of the bed. You saw Jungkook’s cute face. His face looked clean, no more blood, his hair looked organised. You tried to smile.

Jung kook opened his eyes as soon as his mom called his name. He smiled. He greeted his parents.  

The heart monitor gave us hint about Jungkook’s condition.

But you felt a bit left out. You asked yourself, maybe Jungkook couldn’t see yourself standing there? You looked at the heart monitor. You prayed, deep in your heart to God for Jungkook.

“Babe.” Jung kook called you.

His voice sounded rough. It was not as sweet and soft as it used to be anymore. Jung kook’s mom gave you a space to sit next to Jungkook. He reached out for your hand. And called Jimin.

“Stop getting sick! I have no one to play with at home.” Jimin finished his sentence with a laughter.

Jung kook smiled. He looked at you.

“Babe. You know that I really love you right?”

You leaned forward, placed your head on his chest as you tried to hide your tears from him, Jung kook slowly kissed you head.

“Ya Jimin!” He tried to laugh but it turned into a cough. He reached Jimin’s hand.

“Please. Do me a favour.”

You got up from his chest, gave a space to Jimin to talk to Jungkook, but he held your hand, a hint to make you stay by his side.

“Hyung! I assumed you as my brother ever since we were young. You helped me a lot. I really love you as my brother.”

“Shhh. Stop talking you’re gonna get tired,” Jimin stopped him.

“Please take a very good care of Y/N if I no longer belong in this world,” Jungkook’s tears suddenly flowed down onto his cheeks. Jung kook turned to you and smiled. His breathing becoming heavier.

He told Jimin to take a very good care of you as he did before. Jimin nodded several time while holding his tears and not speaking a word. You were still holding his hand, you can feel how weak his condition is as his hand didn’t tightly grab your hand. Your tears that has been held finally you burst after Jungkook smiled at you with his white lips, his brown eyes, his warm hands.

He placed your hand onto Jimin’s hand. You finally understood the situation. Jung kook wants Jimin to replace him for you.

“*cough cough*” Jungkook hastily breathing, he wrinkled his forehead due to the pain. You tightly closed your eyes, hoping if this was a dream. You couldn’t even see his face anymore as it breaks your heart.

The heart monitor began to beep extremely fast. Jung kook remained silent. His parents came closer to see their son’s face perhaps for the last time. Jungkook had a hard time to exhale his breathe, the heart monitor showed a straight line passing with a constant beep voice. You can’t feel his handgrip anymore. Jung kook’s mom screamed in tears while was held by his dad.

And you broke down crying, was he worth this mess? After everything and that little black bracelet and his favourite hot latte. Jimin turned to his back tearing up. You can no longer feel yourself. Everything is numb.

 

~

3 months has passed, you waited for Jimin in a cafe with a hot strawberry drink in front of you. In Jungkook’s favourite cafe.

While you were busy scrolling on your twitter, Jimin showed up with a small box.

Before you and Jimin started the conversation, Jimin ordered a hot latte drink. It’s Jungkook’s favourite drink. Jimin opened up the small box filled with so many stuff. Some of them are really familiar to you.

“The first time I talked to you, was when I told you, Jungkook was in the bathroom. But, actually, he was not conscious. He was in an emergency room, but thank goodness, his body was really strong. He fought the pain.”

*speechless*

Jimin continued, “The first time we met when i picked you up in front of your workplace, by that time Jungkook’s body was really weak. He still wanted to go out to meet you, but his mom forced him to rest. So I told him I would go instead.“

Your tears flowed down without you realised it. You stared deep into Jimin’s eyes wanting him to continue the story.

“Actually, he had his illness since 4 months before he died.“

“W..What?!” You startled.

Jimin took out a black bracelet from the box. It was the bracket that Jungkook wore on that day.

“He wanted me to wear this bracelet. Sigh I kept on forgetting…. Could you please put this on for me?”

You wiped your tears. You held the bracelet. His face in his dark blue hoodie was floating in your mind. You don’t want to recall the memories. You immediately put it on around Jimin’s arm.

“I love you.”

That beautiful word came out from your mouth. You finally really in love with Jimin not because of he reminds you of Jungkook, but you realised how caring, gentle and good hearted he is. He is one of a kind.

Jimin smiled while trying to hide his blushing cheeks by looking down.  

“Me too, Y/N”