Chapter Two: Lilac

Flowers in the desert
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Momo exited her fourth house, making a mental list of what she found so far that morning: five granola bars, a plastic water bottle and a flashlight. She cursed under her breath, upset she didn't find any ammunition or any other useful weapons. Looking up at the bright sun, she estimated she had about two hours to walk around before she had to rest. It was too hot outside these days to keep walking at noon and keeping her stamina was crucial in case she had to escape walkers.

 

Before she could even make her way to the next house, she heard the familiar high pitched voice.

 

"Hey stranger! Wait for me!"

 

Momo froze, looking at the blonde girl who was running towards her. She traded her pajamas for a bright yellow shirt and booty shorts. The only thing she had with her was a pink baseball bat, the paint scratched off in a few places, black tape around the handle. When the blonde reached her, she swung the bat on her shoulders before pouting.

 

"I woke up and you were gone" she said playing with her foot. Now that Momo looked at it, she noticed the girl was wearing sandals. Was she even real?

 

"I know you have to go places, but you could have waited for me!"

 

Momo shook her head. "I told you I had to leave" she replied in a stern voice. "And you should too."

 

The blonde smiled widely. "That's what I'm doing! Let's go!"

 

"Sorry sweetheart, but you're not coming with me."

 

She then started to leave but the sound of sandals clapping against the asphalt meant the blonde was following her. Momo turned around, unimpressed. She crossed her arms, raising an eyebrow.


The blonde acted like she didn't do anything and kept walking, looking over her shoulder when she passed her.


"Are you coming? We have places to go!"


Momo walked closer to the other girl. "I have places to go" she said in a calm voice. She pointed at the blonde "and you won't go anywhere dressed like this."

 

"What's wrong with my outfit?" she asked offended.

 

‘’What’s your name again? Sana, right?’’ Momo asked in a tired voice. ‘’Look Sana, I...You know what? You can come with me on one condition.You're putting different clothes on."

 

Sana squealed, jumping up and down and clapping her hands. Momo shook her head, half annoyed and half amused. The pair went back to Sana's house where the latter ran up the stairs. Momo walked slowly around the first floor, stopping by the kitchen table when she saw something that caught her attention. It was a small note displaying a short text.

 

Hey Mom and Dad,

 

I'm going to try and find shelter at the nearest military base. Don't worry, I'm with a nice friend.

I love and miss you,

Sana

 

Momo was surprised to say the least. First, the girl really believed her parents were still alive. Second, she said she was her friend when the pair haven't even known each other for twenty four hours. Shaking her head, she walked up the stairs and went into Sana's room.

 

"Jesus Christ!" Momo screamed, covering her eyes with one arm. "What the hell are you doing?"

 

Sana shrugged. "Changing. You told me to."

 

Momo grunted. "At least put a bra on."

 

The blonde chuckled, but did as she was told and turned around, hands on her hips.

 

"I need your help because I have no idea what to wear."

 

Momo nodded, mumbling something that sounded like I can see that. She then proceeded to look through the other girl's closet, somehow managing to find an appropriate neutral shirt and jeans amongst the bright colors that most of her clothing consisted of. She threw the new outfit on the bed, motioning Sana to change before she left the room. She slid down the hallway’s wall, putting her head between her hands. She invited a complete stranger to come along with her. She broke her number one rule which was to stick to her original plan: get to the army base and don’t talk to anyone. Momo decided one thing: as soon as the other girl would cause any kind of trouble, she was going her own way.

The blonde came out a few minutes later, swirling to show Momo her clothes. She was now wearing jeans and a dark t-shirt. Nothing too warm considering the temperature outside, but clothes that wouldn’t reveal too much skin in case of bites or scratches. Momo noticed once again just how small the other girl looked in her clothes. She was almost floating in the shirt and her jeans bunched up around her knees.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter