one

i can show you the world

Jihoon was three hours away from home and two seconds away from sobbing. He was on a plane to go to a nice music school, and though he had told his parents that, yes, he would be fine going to school so far from home, and yes, he could ride the plane on his own, he was beginning to doubt himself. The panic had set in just as the plane took off the ground, and the deafening pops made his ears feel like they were exploding. He considered slamming the emergency button, but it would be quite unfair for the other passengers (not to mention it would probably stress him out even more). 

He was sandwiched between the window and a snoring man with the body of a grizzly bear. His backpack was on his lap, mostly because he forgot to put it on the rack above his head (which was just as well, seeing as the man beside him was not planning on moving any time soon). Jihoon wasn't very fond of tight spaces, much like the one he had been sitting in for the past three hours, and would be sitting in for another two if everything went fine. 

He leaned his head on the window, which only made his stomach more queasy. The man to his left was an immovable wall separating him from the tiny airplane bathroom. "Excuse me?" he asked quietly. The man didn't budge, even when he shook his shoulder. "Excuse me?" he asked a little louder. He sighed and braced both hands on the man's shoulder to try and shake him awake, but he wasn't strong enough to make much of an impact. 

Jihoon groaned and closed his eyes. Maybe a nap would do something good for him. An hour later, he woke up and decided that a nap was definitely not the way to, since he now had a terrible urge to pee. He peered at the man who was snoring comfortably beside him and bounced in his seat for a few minutes. 

"Excuse me?" he asked, shaking the man with all the force his flimsy body could manage. He growled when the man didn't wake up, and decided that he would just have to climb over the grizzly bear. 

He sighed at the man's undignified manspreading and stepped over one leg. So far so good, he thought, leaning dangerously close to the stranger. He was about to cross his other leg over when the plane jumped with turbulence. Too many things happened at once: the pilot warned the passengers of their bumpy ride a little too late, Jihoon's knee found its merry way between the man's legs, and said man howled out in pain, now clearly awake. 

"What the hell?" he screamed, catching everyone's attention. 

Jihoon silently cursed his bladder.  "I–I needed to pee," he explained meekly. 

The man didn't give his explanation any thought. "Get off of me—" And then he called Jihoon something he hadn't heard in a long time— "you !" 

He stumbled back towards his seat, eyes watery. He knew the man was just cranky, and he knew the man knew nothing about Jihoon's uality, but it still hit him in all the wrong places. 

A flight attendant stomped over, hands balled into fists on her hips. It would have been comical if Jihoon hadn't been the one she was marching towards. "What is going on over here?" 

"This was trying to make a move on me in my sleep." 

"You're not exactly my idea of a good time," Jihoon said, automatically regretting opening his mouth. 

The man was fuming by now. "I want this creep out of the plane now." 

The flight attendant huffed. "Sir, that's impossible." 

"Then let me move!" 

She shook her head. "All the seats are booked. You two will have to wait just a little longer." 

Jihoon crossed his arms and chewed his lip nervously. "I'm very sorry, sir. I know it looked bad, but I assure you, I wasn't trying to hurt you." 

The man grunted and turned his head the other way. Jihoon sat, hugging his backpack, and trying to keep himself from wetting his pants (and further embarrassing himself). It was going to be a long hour. 

When the plane stopped, Jihoon shoved past his rude seat mate and through the crowd on the plane. He dashed across the lot, his backpack excruciatingly heavy. Despite his efforts to go as quickly as possible, he was still met with a traffic jam of people trying to squeeze through the doors of the airport. He bounced on his toes. Dry deserts, he thought to himself, trying to take his mind off of the fact that he desperately needed a restroom.   Blazing sun. So hot. Need water—no! He groaned and hopped up and down, earning some strange looks from the people around him in line. 

The moment he got inside the building he sprinted to the bathroom, any dignity he still had left leaving as he burst through the door and ped his pants. 

He had just gone on the longest plane ride of his life, sat near a grumpy man, held his pee for an hour, and now made an entire bathroom full of men stare at him in shock. It was safe to say that things couldn't possibly get worse than that. (If they did, though, he knew he could handle it.) 

After his pit stop, he dragged himself over the the creepy conveyer belt that spat out people's luggage like a portal to another dimension. Jihoon stared awkwardly, waiting for his scuffed blue suitcase to appear from behind the curtains. People around him came and left while he waited. 

Maybe someone else took his luggage? 

He checked the time on his phone. 6 pm. It had been move-in day at the school, and he had already been scheduled to arrive late. Now, he was likely to be the last one moving his belongings into the dorms. Not that he had a lot, but it still bothered him. His roommate had probably chosen his side of the room already, and his dorm would be well acquainted with each other already. 

Maybe things would get worse. 

It took another hour to get Jihoon's bag (which had gotten mixed up with luggage from another flight) and around forty five minutes to hop in a taxi and arrive at the music school. From there, he was directed to four different people, the last one being a student who lead him to the dorm he would call his home for the next six months. 

The student who lead him to his room was nice. His name was Jung Sewoon, and he was the RA. "If you ever need anything, I'm in room number one." 

Jihoon nodded, looking forward to resting in his room after a long and torturous day. After showing that he had no trouble unlocking the door, Sewoon patted him on the back and walked back down the hall. 

The room was small, with a bunk bed against the wall to the left and two desks on the right. Nothing was unpacked, and no bed was chosen, but there were three suitcases placed under the window. Whoever his roommate was must have left the room, maybe to hang out with other people. He sighed, disappointed that he hadn't been there earlier to give a good impression. 

Since his roommate had so graciously waited for him to arrive to unpack his stuff, Jihoon decided that he would wait for the boy to come back. He sat patiently at one of the desks until the door clicked open, a few minutes before eight. 

His roommate was handsome, to say the least. He had a lean body and delicate face. The boy held a hand out and started to shuffle towards the bed, but stopped. "Hello?" His voice was deep, and Jihoon could feel himself melting. 

"Hi, I'm your roommate. Park Jihoon." He stood up and bowed. 

The boy turned towards him, but seemed a little unfocused. "Ah, it's nice to meet you. I'm Bae Jinyoung." He bowed, then scratched the back of his neck. "Also, I'm legally blind."

 

 


a.n/ 

hi everyone! i hope you liked the first chapter. the second one will be up very soon.

to give everyone a heads up, i have researched a lot for this story, to make it as realistic as possible. its sometimes clear that authors who include disabilities in their fics have not done too much research. my goal right now is to make stories that are physical disability inclusive, and stories that portray them realistically.

as a disclaimer, i do not know any young blind people! if you ever feel the need to point something out, i happily take criticism. not much has happened yet, but if i mess things up in the future chapters, please tell me!

anyways, thank you for reading!