영, Zero.

Fleeting Dreams

(continued from description)

 

I looked forward to see you had stopped in front of the lake. My steps sped up, wanting to reach you quicker. The smile I imagined would bloom from your face, and your voice would call for my name. I would hand you your shoes, and we would intertwine our hands as we walked back to our home, our safe little haven.

I was a few steps away from you. Wind picked up again as my hair got blown across my face, making me shriek softly. I swiped the hair away, making my vision clear again. You still stood there, still as you faced the water. The ripples became more aggressive as the wind continued its thunderous roar. As if you heard me, you turned your head. My steps faltered as I skidded to a stop. My feet seem to want me to reel backwards and bolt. But I was stuck between hesitation and fear.

My feet slowly started moving. You stood there, your face directed towards me. I didn’t know what I was scared of in this moment. Whether is it you, or of me. You slowly grew further as my feet took me back, down on the path. I was still facing you, my eyes still fixated on your face. Searching for something, that one thing that would take my fear away..

I found none, but I knocked into something hard. Closing my eyes on instinct, I braced myself to fall. Yet I was still standing as I pried my eyes open upon feeling someone’s hand on my skin. I turned back to see you. My head whipped back to see you gone from the lake and right in front of me. I resisted the urge to scream in shock. How had you been..so fast?

“Darling, what’s wrong?” You asked. Your voice was enough to make me melt and spill all my fears.. No. I can’t trust you, yet.

“N-Nothing is wrong.” I stuttered a little, my cheeks blushing. It was hard to deny my body’s attraction to you. It was too strong to be suppressed. The fact that you are so close didn’t help my case either when I kept telling myself to not fall into the spell of you. My eyes kept fluttering, a dangerous sign I was not holding up well. “Honey..” you uttered again, concern lacing your tone. I once again resisted as I pushed myself away, breathing heavily.

“Who, are you.” I paused in between your breath to say these words. Instead of phrasing it as a question, I chose to made it come out as a statement. There was no use questioning as lies after lies may come out of your mouth. “Jagiya, it’s me. What are you saying?” Those words just felt like a slap to my face. I don’t know why, but it didn’t feel that way when I was with you. Those words you uttered, sound so foreign.

“Who are you.” I repeated again, my hands unconsciously grabbing around my body. I was getting into a fight or flight mode, and this wasn’t good. Where did you go? Your hands stretched out in an attempt to hold me but I shifted away, distrust in my eyes. You sighed exasperatedly, frustration evident in your voice. “Look, it’s me alright? Jagiya don’t do this to me.” He reached up to take his mask off.

I couldn’t help gasping as I stared apprehensively back at his face. “Who are you?” Now I was really terrified. I couldn’t recognise you from the person in front of me, though everything about you - your behaviour, mannerisms and even the way you stand - screamed that you’re my Hoseok. I was sure my face was trapped in a mask of horror and disgust. You just clocked your head in confusion. “Jagi why?” You questioned, not sure of why I had such a reaction.

I ran. The shock and fear was turning into adrenaline that made me sprint towards the house. Reaching the door, I banged against the wooden door loudly. “Anyone inside..? Let me in!” I was nearly screaming, my throat hurting from the sudden strain. The door swung open and I stepped in, slamming the door shut and leaning against it. The sound echoed across the dimly lit, empty space. I calmed myself and took a few steps forward, unsure of where to go.

My ears picked up a soft tinkling sound and I slowly walked towards the source. An intricate music box stood upon a small brown piano, its surfaces looking worn with the flaking paint. There was someone settled upon the bench, fingers grazing across the white tiles of the piano. They softly hammered out a tune, full of overflowing emotions and longing. On cue, he turned and I saw you again. “Jagi?” You called out with a tone full of hope. Everything was roaring in my ears as my mind went into overdrive, trying to figure out everything. While I was frozen, you had come over and wrapped your arms around me. My face was squashed against your chest, and I couldn’t register much except for the lack of a heartbeat thrumming against your chest.

“Jagi,” your voice caught my attention. I looked up back at you and you smiled sadly. “I have to go, alright. Wake up.” You softly kissed my forehead and hugged me tighter.

Jimin awoke to Hoseok in front of him. Both of them were trapped in each other’s arms, with blood pooling around them. Hoseok’s eyes were closed and his chest was still. A sob rose up Jimin’s throat as he finally realised what had happened. Ambulance sirens wailed around them as Jimin was pried away from Hoseok, whom they cover with a white cloth. Noises around him dulled to a buzz as he got carried onto a stretcher and into an ambulance. The doors closed and his vision of Hoseok was blocked. Giving in to the grief, he closed his eyes and let himself drift.