- we've grown up

IV. It is an illusion, maybe a dream (Open Up)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Seonho, are you up for a group discussion later at Woojin’s place? Woojin wants us to talk about what we should do for the project,” Daehwi informed after the last bell for the day rang and echoed through the halls which signalled the end of class. After their teacher had dismissed them, the air was filled with nonsense chatter and students dispersed, either to head on home or for afterschool club activities. Daehwi stood up and pulled his chair back as he and Seonho were busy stuffing their books inside their bags. “That dude really wants to ace physics this time around.”

“Does it have to be today?” Seonho stole a glance at his wristwatch to check the time. “I have somewhere to be. I’m afraid I can’t make it.”

“Basketball practice?” Daehwi asked.

“Ah no, coach cancelled the session today.” Seonho was the current captain of their school’s basketball team. After all the other older players graduated, Seonho was voted as the new captain by the club; with their couch’s permission, the decision was unanimous. Seonho was perfect for the job— as the ace and also as one of the senior players. His teammates really look up to him. “We were planning to reschedule tomorrow.”

“Then wha— ah, Guan Lin.” Daehwi should have known. Why haven’t he thought of it earlier? “Is he coming to pick you up?”

“Y-yeah.”

If the blush on Seonho’s face wasn’t enough as an indication then Daehwi wasn’t sure what. Daehwi rolled his eyes at his friend as they made their way to their respective lockers down the hall. “Seriously, you act like a 10-year old. You guys have been dating since our freshmen year, isn’t it too late to still be shy about it?”

“Sorry, It’s just …. I’m still not used to it, I guess,” Seonho said as he rubbed the back of his nape rather sheepishly. Despite being in a steady relationship with Guan Lin for more than 2 years after the older boy confessed, Seonho’s brain was still in flight mode and hadn’t digested the fact what he was indeed dating Lai Guan Lin. It was almost unreal, too impossible to happen. Seonho could still vividly remember those days back in his first year in high school where he was silently hoping that Guan Lin would look at him the same way he did but now— “Tell Woojin I can’t come, I don’t have his number saved so keep me posted and I’ll make it up to him.”

“Will do.”

 

 

Seonho and Daehwi were headed outside to the parking lot to meet up with Guan Lin. He had texted Seonho earlier that he was already at school so Seonho was quick with his steps, a lagging Daehwi complained from behind him. Seonho hadn’t seen Guan Lin in two weeks so he was ecstatic, excited about seeing his boyfriend again.  

“Okay, wow. College did him good,” Daehwi exclaimed as he suddenly came to a stop, mouth slightly agape and stared admiringly at the sight before him.

Even at a distance from where the other stood, Seonho could still make out his boyfriend’s familiar figure. Like he said, Guan Lin was at the school’s parking lot, his body casually leaned up against his precious black sleek sports car. His dad got it for him (spoiled rich ) as a graduation gift when he got accepted to a well-known university in Seoul.

“Don’t look now but your lover boy is staring right at you,” Daehwi said in a not-so hushed voice as he nudged his best friend’s shoulder excitedly, quirked his brow at Guan Lin, who was in fact glancing at their direction, a loose smile tugged at the corner of his lips.  “I could see hearts in his eyes, Seonho.”

“No, he’s not,” Seonho said defensively. “Guan Lin-hyung doesn’t stare.” But the triumphant grin on Daehwi’s face was sufficient to make Seonho red and heat rose to his cheeks.

“Oh please, you’re so whipped, Seonho.” Daehwi and Seonho had been close friends since they were small and Daehwi really liked teasing Seonho, especially when it concerned Guan Lin.  Seonho had always been a carefree soul— was friends with everyone— so seeing him get flustered because of his boyfriend was really adorable in Daehwi’s perspective. “And now I’m suddenly questioning why Guan Lin hadn’t noticed that you liked him since day one?”

“Probably ’cause he’s just as oblivious as Muel was when it comes to you before you guys got together?” Seonho retorted and feigned innocence.

For once, Daehwi was taken aback but also impressed. “Touché.”

 

 

 

 

“Hyung … did you wait long?” Seonho asked as he neared Guan Lin. Seonho and Daehwi had already bid their goodbyes and parted ways since Daehwi had to head straight to Woojin’s house.

“Just got here.” Guan Lin answered as he stood up properly and greeted the younger male. “Wanna head on to the theater now?”

“Hyung, could we hop by at the ice cream shop first before the movie?” Seonho asked. Unlike Seonho who was dressed in his usual school uniform, Guan Lin was wearing a simple black sweat shirt, acid washed ripped jeans, and paired off with his favorite black low-cut converse shoes. He was dressed rather casually since he did not liked making a fuss about how he looked but the getup hadn’t reduced Guan Lin’s handsomeness at the slightest. Why is he so attractive? It’s unfair!

“Don’t you want to eat something first?”

“We’ll do that after the movie. Ice cream is more important.”

Guan Lin smiled and shook his head at his boyfriend’s weird appetite. “Yeah, you're right.”

Seonho returned the grin as the older beckoned him to hop on the vehicle so they could head their way to the mall.

 

 

 

“Seonho-ah!” a loud screech came just close by. Seonho was muddled at the sound but turned around nonetheless to determine its source. Apparently, there were a bunch of girls just across Guan Lin’s car— quite a number of them gathered in a huddle. Seonho recognized some familiar faces since they frequently watch him and his team as they practiced in the gym in most days. Seonho waved and spared them a small smile which caused the group to go chaotic. It was pandemonium.

“Look at you, Mr. popular,” Guan Lin teased as they were now inside the car. The girls were squealing like maniacs and since there was still daylight, they could see right through the commotion from the tinted windows. “Didn’t know you had a drastic increase in fan club members.”

“Speak for yourself, hyung.” Seonho rolled his eyes at his boyfriend. He quickly buckled his seat belt as Guan Lin safely backed the car and they drove off.  “You should have seen the number of people taking photos of you secretly earlier.”

“My my, aren’t we jealous?” Guan Lin smirked amusingly, hands gripping onto the steering wheel while his eyes were focused on the road but would occasionally steal side glances on his companion. “It’s alright babe, I’m all yours anyway.”

Goodness, Guan Lin was a horrible flirt and he knew it. But it didn’t stop Guan Lin from spewing nonsense and Seonho from heating up at his words. “J-jerk.”

 

 

 

 

Seonho was in the midst of devouring his second cupful of ice cream for that day— much to Guan Lin’s amusement— at a local shop inside the city mall, when a boy who was obviously younger than they were approached their table.

“Seonho-hyung!” the boy greeted with a smile, waving his hand enthusiastically as he ran near the two.

“Woochannie!” Seonho’s face lit up. “Fancy seeing you here.”

“I was going to the arcade with my friends when I saw you by the window,” Woochan explained then turned to Guan Lin, “hi Guan Lin-hyung,” he hailed but Guan Lin only gave him a timid nod as a reply.

Woochan was a middle school kid that lived around Seonho’s neighborhood. Seonho had been the young boy’s tutor— since Woochan was struggling with his lessons and the kid’s mother asked for Seonho’s help— for a few months before Seonho decided to quit when basketball season came up to focus on the sport and also on his own studies since college entrance exams were just around the corner. But despite that

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter