Four

Rhythm

A week had passed since the accident in banned area. Mark had started attending his classes and everything seemed to have gone back to normal. His seatmate and friend JB was like his personal bodyguard. The sharp eyed boy was so overprotective that sometimes even Mark was irritated by it. His five friends were closer like a family to him.

It was Thursday morning and he was late for the first class as their friends let him sleep longer than necessary thinking he needed rest. He ran out of the dorm as fast as his legs could support. He had just passed the hallway when he saw groups of students gathered near the entrance gate. They were talking about someone or something. He would have usually ignored such commotions but when he noticed familiar faces among the crowd he halted his steps.

Curiosity raised on his mind. What was so interesting that even Jinyoung the most obedient student and popularly known as book worm skipping classes ? He walked to themnd tapped Yugyeom's shoulder. The younger looked at him and pulled him towards the crowd.

" What's going on Yuggy ? Why are you all out here ? " 

" I have heard that a transfer student is joining this college. " 

" So ? " 

" He's no ordinary student. They say he's son of multimillionaire and is very very handsome. " 

Mark rolled his eyes. He had thought something really serious had happened. He glanced at his wrist watch and his eyes widen in horror.

" Crap ! I'm thirty minutes late. Mrs. Kim is going to chop off my head " 

His eyes scanned for JB in the crowd and there he was - with Jinyoung looking as scary as ever. If he hadn't known Jaebum he wouldn't have dared approached that boy.

" JB we are late. Let's hurry up " 

" Relax Mark. Look there " 

Mark followed the direction of pointer finger and his eyes landed on their teacher. Wait what ? !Their teacher! If the situation hadn't been surprising earlier then it was now. She was the most strict teacher , always made her students follow rules and she did it herself too. This person whom almost half of the college was waiting for must be really important . He groaned . The bed wouldn't have to miss him right now if he had known their first class was off.

 Just then the front gate opened and in came black BMW.Everyone moved to that direction pushing Mark out of the way. They were blocking the view but he didn't mind for he wasn't interested in whoever the car owner was. He stood there with support of wall bored eyes roaming here and there. He could hear the girls talking and swooning over the new student. Their obnoxious giggle piercing his ear drums.

The principal then came out of his office , shooing all the students inside as if they were a heard of sheep. Mark was about to turn right when the black car came out of nowhere. He had no time to register what was going on. He closed his eyes shut mentally preparing himself for the pain but instead hr felt an arm pulling him out of the directoon.

" Have you lost you mind ? ! " Even with closed eyes Mark could tell that JB was furious. He opened his eyes to apologize to other boy but realized that JB's gaze was directed to the car that just passed  by them.

" Rich er ! " 

" JB let it go. Hurry up or we are going to miss our second class " 

Mark practically dragged grumbling Jaebum to the classroom. Students were eyeing them weirdly but he didn't pay any attention to the stares. 

They took their usual seat. The teacher arrived just a minute later. 

" Okay everyone please take out your not______" 

Before the teacher could finish his sentence he was interrupted by the sound of opening door. All the eyes turned to that direction.

" Ah ! you must be the new student " their teacher exclaimed " Come inside and introduce yourself please " 

Mark studied the new student from head to toe. He was dressed up in black hood and jeans. His eyes were hidden by the shadow of the hood. His skin tone was perfect blend of white and pale and the aura around him was mysterious.

" Wang Jackson " 

The low pitched tone of the boy sent shivers down Mark's spine. He diverted his gaze to other students and almost all of them were busy checking out Jackson Wang of course excluding JB. He was still salty about the earlier incident. 

" Okay choose any seats you want Mr.Wang " 

Jackson without a second of hesitation pointed towards JB's seat. The teacher hummed in acknowledgement. 

" I'm sorry Mr. IM but you have to move from that seat " 

" What are you talking about ? ! This is my seat ! Tell that fuc______" 

Mark slapped his hand over his friend's sharp mouth. " JB you don't want to get in trouble do you ? " He whispered in hushed tone giving fake smile to their teacher. JB swatted his hand gently " I'm not going to leave you alone " 

" Jaebum I can take care of myself , besides " Mark paused " Jinyoung won't like if you got detention " 

" Fine " JB grumbled under his breath. He gathered his belongings and moved to empty seat but not before shooting dirty glare at their teachers.

The new student took his seat besides Mark. He didn't even say hello or hi. His whole focus seemed to be on somewhere else. Mark could feel the chilling vibe around Jackson. He fidget on his seat suddenly nervous over nothing in particular. 

The teacher left after the time was over for that period. Next was JB's favourite teacher Mr. Park. Their biology teacher was around his mid fifties , very qualified and he didn't differentiate among his students. That's the reason why Jaebum liked him the most.

Just like usual Mr. Park was on time. He settled his book down on the table and closed the door beside him. Then he stared the class. 

Mr. Park was on the middle of his lecture when he noticed the new student besides Mark. 

" Hey you , lift up your hood. I can't see if you are sleeping there or listening to what I just said " 

Jackson totally ignored him. The students looked at him and then back at the teacher. Mr. Park was fuming with anger. He strode straight to where Jackson was seated and yanked his hood off. Jackson had alomst no reaction at all.

" I am letting you go because you are new here. Next time you ignore me you are out of this class " 

The biology teacher resumed back to teaching while Jackson kept his eyes closed. Mark kept on looking at the weird boy beside him. Suddenly Jackson turned his head towards him and their eyes met. Those eyes - they seemed familiar.

" Are you done with staring at me ? " 

" S__sorry " 

Mark lowered his gaze suddenly embarrassed that the new boy pointed out Mark had been staring at him. For the rest of the period he couldn't look at Jackson.

It was finally time for their physical education. He hurried out of the class and to his locker. He had just finished changing when he felt someone's gaze on him. He looked around but noone was there. Shaking his head he left for the play ground. Their PE teacher divided the students into two team - Red and Blue. Mark was on the red team while Jackson was on blue team as an extra player. 

The game stared with the signal from their teacher. Both the team were equally competitive and the game was interesting to watch. Everyone knew that red team was going to win because Mark was the best player so far. 

As predicted the red team was leading the game. From the corner of his eyes Mark could see Jackson staring at him intensely. He felt uncomfortable under that piercing gaze and missed the ball. The blue team decided to make change. Jackson joined the opposite team. 

It seemed like the game had turned in favour of blue team. Jackson was extremely good at volleyball. The score was tie between two teams. The member of the red team missed the ball. 

Jackson now had the volleyball in his hands. The opposite team had choosen him for service hit. His hands had ball positioned ready but his eyes were focused on his target. Mark sore he saw a evil glint of red in Jackson's eyes. 

The ball came with so much speed that noone could see the object until it hit the boy who had moved in front of Mark in  the mean time. He heard the sickening crack of bones before the boy fell down on the dusty ground. Blood was oozing out of his mouth uncontrollably. Mark was shook to the core. If the boy hadn't been in front of him then it would be him laying unconscious on the floor instead of the boy.

His eyes unconsciously searched for the new boy. Jackson was sitting on the shade staring at something , disappointment clear on his face. He turned his head to Mark as if he knew the other had been staring.

Mark avoided the gaze and focused on the injured boy. The teachers were freaking out  as the  boy was barley breathing. It looked like his ribs were damaged beyond repair. The ambulance arrived in time and the boy was hurried to hospital. Mark decided to follow the paramedics to the hospital. 

He waited outside the operation room pacing anxiously. Even if it wasn't his fault he felt guilty for the state the boy was in. Rage overcame him as he remembered Jackson , that bastard didn't even bothered to see the boy he had injured. Something was definitely off with Jackson Wang. Maybe the boy was going through difficulties who knew ? 

Sometimes later a nurse came rushing out of the operation room. She had this dread look on her face that scared Mark to no end. The teacher hurried to her.

" Is he going to be alright ? " 

She shook her head disappointedly  " I don't think he can make it " 

The teacher held his head distressed. Mark felt like his heart dropped to his stomach. He was never good at handling bad news let alone news about someone's death. His legs had started shaking violently and the thick air around him was suffocating him. 

He decided to go out to the park as his head had started to hurt. Taking support of the wall he dragged his body out of the building and to the hospital's park. The bench was empty on the center so he decided to sit there for a while. With closed eyes Mark tried to focus on something that would distract him from the current situation. He opened his eyes in panic when Jackson's warm brown eyes came in his vision. Why did those eyes seemed too familiar to him ?  He's almost sure he had never met someone named Jackson Wang before. So why were those orbs haunting him ? 

He groaned running his hand through the messy brown hair. He was busy wallowing in his distress when he noticed Jackson existing the hospital. Wait , when did the boy get there ? 

Though he hated to return back and listen the bad news his legs led him inside the hospital premises and outside the operating room. To his utter surprise he found his teacher smiling for ear to ear with the doctor.

" It's truly miracle. " The doctor was saying " The patient is not only alive but also fully healed " 

" That's what I am saying it's a miracle. Thank you doctor. Thank you very much " 

" It's my duty . If you want to meet the patient go ahead. He's in normal ward right now " 

What did Mark miss ? What did the doctor mean ?? Mark jolted out of his world when someone snapped their fingers on his face. 

" Are you coming with me or not ?? " 

" Y__ya " 

The student-teacher duo walked through the passage and inside the room where the injured boy was kept. Their eyes mirrored each other , growing into the size of saucers as they found the nearly dead boy in perfect condition. Snapping out of his dazed state the teacher smiled at the boy.

" How are you feeling now ? " 

" Just a bit dizzy " 

" Oh . Does it hurt anywhere ? " 

" No. Why are you asking ? " 

" It's nothing haha " The teacher laughed timidly scratching the back of his head. While they were talking Mark scanned his surrounding. His eyes landed in the particular object laying on the floor besides the boy. The boy noticed Mark's gaze and followed it. He bend down to pick up the card and studied it.

" Oh it's Jackson's. He must have forgotten it " 

" Mr. Wang was here ? " 

" Yes. He's very sweet guy. He apologized to me and asked me to take care "  The boy turned his attention to Mark.

" If you don't mind can you return it to Jackson please ?  " 

Mark raised his eyebrows in confusion notheless accepting the card in his hand and nodding his head. He could tell that Jackson Wang was hiding something from the others and Mark being the curious cat was going to expose the truth of the new boy. That was for sure.