Chapter 3

Change Me

     "Ms. Kim! Ms. Kim!" The teacher in question tuned around to see an out of breath Joy. Suspiciously she gave the okay for the student to continue. "I was wondering if I could get out of detention for Friday."

"Joy, you should know better than to ask that. What excuse is it now? The dog in your neighborhood's birthday, or something equally ridiculous ?"

"No Ms. Kim, you've got it all wrong! I actually have a tutor session scheduled."

"Yeah with who?" Ms. Kim dubiously replied.

"Wendy Son of course." Seeing as the teacher remained skeptical, Joy looked around the mass of students hurrying to their classes. There!

     Wendy was having a normal day, due in part to the absence of Joy's presence. She had her before school meeting with her fellow council members and preparations for the upcoming winter break were underway two months ahead of schedual. She was mentally organizing the day's schedual and if all went well she could go home fairly early. The elation she felt over a foreseeable productive day was, quite literally, snatched away by a hand tugging her sleeve. Confusion prevented her from any form of resistance.

"Here she is, ask her!" An unmistakable voice exclaimed.

"Wendy, is it true that you'll be tutoring Joy?"

     Wendy felt her stomach drop at the thought. She looked at Ms. Kim's stern expression, feeling implored to say no. Then she looked to Joy's face; the tall girl giving the shorter puppy dog eyes. Wendy couldn't help but lament on how her good morning had disappeared in smoke. Dejectedly she agreed with the red head, "yes Ms. Kim, I'll be tutoring her."

"Then its fine. Park, you and I are both excused from detention." With that the teacher continued her journey to the lounge for some much needed coffee.

"Thanks Wendy, see you Friday!" Joy sprinted off to do god knows what.

"Why does the world hate me?" Wendy sullenly trekked to her next period.

 

--------------

 

     Wendy and her roommate, Irene, went to the store shortly after the younger arrived home. The tiny duo had come to the end of their grocery list, all that was left was laundry detergent. The store had stopped carrying the brand her roommate favored and so Irene had to take the time to smell each bottle of detergent. Wendy had absolutely no idea why her roommate needed to be so specific but she had learned to not openly question laundry issues with Irene around.

     Joy and Yeri had come to the store for snacks. They planned to stay up until their favorite, cake themed, girl group released their come back. The evil duo were walking through the isles when Yeri stopped. "Wannie! Wannie, over here!"

     Wendy begrudgingly looked up from her phone and saw her favorite underclassman waving both arms in the air like a maniac. "Yerim!" As embarrassing as Yeri could be, she was still too cute to be mad at. The shorter girl opened her arms and Yeri flew into the hug, nearly toppling the two. Wendy was barely strong enough to keep the two standing. She was athletic, sure, but Yeri was swiftly out growing her.

"Wannie I've missed you!" Yeri peppered the shorter girl's cheeks with kisses. 

"You weirdo, cut it out." Wendy pulled a face but she was clearly happy to see the younger girl. "What are you even doing here by yourself?"

"Huh? I'm with Sooyoungie." Said girl could be seen behind Yeri with a face of pure confusion. "You two know each other?"

"Of course Wendy is on the same softball team I'm in. Ya know Sooyoungie, the one that you said was stupid? Wendy's the captain."

"I-I never said it was stupid." 

"You totally did! That and how cute player twenty two's was." Yeri knew exactly who's number that was and she watched in amusement as both of the seniors' faces turned red.

     Seeing Joy's face turn red was too funny and Wendy decided to tease the red head too. "Thanks for the compliment, Sooyoungie." Horror and embarrassment flooded Joy as she realized who's she had been talking about. Before Joy could dig herself a hole to die in, the rattle of a shopping cart interrupted them. The newcomer spoke up, "who's complimenting your ?" irene's stony expression was enough to drop the temperature. 

"Irene, no one was!" Now it was Wendy's turn to sputter. 

"Well, I got the detergent. We can go home if you want."

"Sure! It was nice to see you guys." Wendy turned to push the cart. She wasn't surprised when she felt the familiar pat on her behind. The two headed home.

Joy couldn't believe what she had seen. Was Wendy actually gay but in a relationship already? How could that be? Why were all of the good ones taken? It was all she could think about, she didn't even notice the walk back to Yeri's house.

 

-------------------------------

Hello! I apologize for any spelling errors I've been writing on my phone. I hope the story's okay though. This is unedited so far.