how much longer?

sleepless nights

    I love you too. Wait for me.

 

    He wanted to be strong; if not for himself, but for Daehyun, whose cheeks were stained with the traces of tears. So Youngjae forced a smile as the train doors shut, and he waved his hand ever so slightly. He bit his lower lip. Daehyun waved back and then the train was moving and Youngjae moved to sit down. Another tear broke free and he closed his eyes, picturing Daehyun's smiling face.

 

    The train ride was long and painful, every stop reminding Youngjae of how far away he was from home. Already he wanted to be back in bed, coffee breath and lazy smiles shared with his dearest person. A whole year away from home, away from friends, away from Daehyun...It was nerve wracking and he chewed on his nails from habit.

 

    If you asked him, Youngjae would deny that he cried at all on the train ride. He would say his eyes were simply red because of allergies, not because of the tears he tried to hide from other passengers. He would say he was sick, even coughing in attempt to prove his point. He would laugh a little and change the topic of conversation.

 

-

 

    Waking alone was just as difficult as he had thought it would be. He had tried to ease Daehyun's worry, joking that it would be fine because there would be no more sheet stealing or leg kicking during the night. But ultimately, he had said it to convince himself. A small part of him was thankful that he didn't have to wake up to Daehyun's incessant snoring, although it quickly became something he began to miss.

 

    It was only April, only one month since he had last seen Daehyun, and he was desperate for soft morning kisses, late nights filled with caffeine and studying, and complaints about his overcooked ramen. These thoughts would attack his mind in the deep hours of the night as he sat hunched over his small desk, staring at words that could not be absorbed not matter how hard he tried. All he could think of were plump lips and eye crinkles, almost always falling asleep to thoughts of home. Specifically, their shared bed.

 

    He liked to send messages every now and then, sometimes rushing out of lectures hurriedly so that he could send a good morning text before Daehyun's eight o'clock alarm woke him. Often he was late, but Daehyun didn't need to know how he struggled not to be.

 

    It was painful, but he brought this on himself by making the decision to study abroad. It was his fault; the tears in Daehyun's eyes the morning he left were his fault. And he hated that he was the reason for taking away such a beautiful smile.

 

-

 

    Cotton candy reminded him of Daehyun and he sighed softly as he nibbled at it, eyes wandering around as he listened to screams coming from the direction of the roller coaster. He could only think of their most recent day at Everland and the way Daehyun had insisted they feed each other cotton candy. Youngjae had blatantly refused. Part of him now wished that he hadn't...

 

     "Hey," He stopped in his tracks and Jaebum followed suit, staring at Youngjae in brief confusion, "do you want to see something funny?"

 

    "Sure."

 

    The younger reached for his phone, a cheeky smile gracing his lips. "Okay... First, let's take a selfie." It wasn't so simple as just taking one, as Youngjae kept insisting to take another as he quickly disliked whatever showed up on his phone display.

 

    "Youngjae, just pick a damn photo!" Jaebum muttered after a while, his annoyance reached a high.

 

    "Ah- I'm sorry" He gave a slightly apologetic smile and quickly posted the most decent photo to Instagram. Jaebum had posed with his fingers making a simple v shape and Youngjae had nibbled on the cotton candy, perfectly capturing the image of youth and spring. "Hmm...now count to ten"

 

    "One, two, three..." Youngjae held up his phone as Jaebum continued, a smirk plastered across his face. "...eight, nine, ten." Suddenly the phone began buzzing and Jaebum read the caller ID 'Daehyunnie' across the screen. "Oh my god..."

 

    "Ah...he's cute, isn't he? Hang on" Youngjae walked a few paces away from Jaebum, answering the call with a smile. He would be lying if he said he hadn't done it so that Daehyun would call. "Hi, Daehyunnie. What are you up to?"

 

    "I'm not doing anything." He could hear the slight hint of a wine in the elder's voice. "Youngjae, I saw your post and-"

 

    "Oh, you did? Isn't it five in the morning there? Why are you awake?" He nibbled onto a piece of cotton candy, his heart feeling lighter now that he could hear Daehyun's voice.

 

    "...that's not important" A small bout of laughter fell from Youngjae's lips. "Who is that in that photo? What are you doing with him?"

 

     "Mm, that's Jaebummie. He's a new friend of mine that I met in school." He paused. "We aren't doing anything, just walking around the amusement park." Another smile curled across his lips and he heightened the pitch of his voice. "And I'm thinking of you, Daehyunnie. What else would I be doing?"

 

    "...shut up" He grumbled, though Youngjae found it cute. "How are you?"

 

    "I'm tired." I miss you.

 

-

 

    "Happy Birthday!" He shouted into the phone, perhaps a little too loudly as he rushed out of his class. Students around him looked mildly surprised at the volume of his voice but he couldn't bring himself to care. It was a few minutes past one o'clock in the afternoon for him but a few minutes past midnight in Korea, and the beginning to Daehyun's birthday. And he loved this day more than anything, for it was the anniversary of the day Daehyun was brought into the world.

 

    Youngjae smiled when he heard Daehyun's brief bout of laughter, feeling the stress of school life leave his aching shoulders. He settled himself in a corner of the hallway and began a sweet rendition of 'happy birthday', picturing the tired smile he was certain Daehyun was wearing.

 

    "Thank you, Youngjae." Joy dripped from Daehyun's golden voice, and Youngjae wished he had done this through a video call instead.

 

    "I'm sorry for calling you so late." He whispered, mentally scolding himself for shouting when Daehyun very well could have been woken up by his call. "I just wanted to be the first person to call you."

 

    "It's okay, I don't mind." Youngjae could hear the exhaustion in every word. "But...actually my mom called before you did. So you lose this year."

 

    "Oh no! Oh, what am I to do? I've never lost before." He gave an exaggerated sigh. "Ah, what's my punishment?"

 

    "Hmm. What should it be...." There was a small pause and Youngjae bit his lip in order to contain the bright smile across his lips. "Well, you aren't going to see me for another eight months so I think that's punishment enough." They shared melodious laughter, which soon died down as they processed the number of months it would be until they would see each other again.

 

    "Then, I'll eagerly wait for my punishment to end." He sighed softly. "It's late. You should sleep."

 

    "Mm. Study well."

 

    "I will." He shoved the phone into his pocket, reminding himself to text Himchan when he got home and remind him to deliver his present to Daehyun.

 

-


 

    Youngjae had always loved stars. They were a bright, glistening wonder to him that left him content whenever he looked towards them. So he fell in love with Daehyun quickly when he realised his eyes were pure stars. He spoke the language of supernovas and traced constellations onto Youngjae's skin in the deep hours of the night when he couldn't sleep.

 

    These days, it wasn't that Daehyun reminded him of the night sky, but rather the shimmering sky reminded him of his lover he had left alone in a bed meant to be shared. He was almost certain Daehyun's smile was brighter than all the stars in the galaxy.

 

    When Youngjae looked towards the glittering sky, a solemn smile crossed his lips. Daehyun wasn't beside him, but he was in his heart and in his mind.

 

-

 

    "Isn't that Daehyun's sweater?" Himchan asked, a teasing tone in his voice as his lips curled into a fox like smile.

 

     Youngjae shook his head, eyes darting away from the webcam and settling on his knees. "No" He murmured, and he knew Himchan didn't believe him as he continued to speak. The younger barely listened.

 

   Youngjae thought of cold winter evenings,  hot chocolate and oversized sweaters. Occasional caresses of icy fingers and kisses to warm lips while lying upon a couch far too small for the both of them. He simpered when he thought of his fingers threaded through Daehyun's hair and the elder laying on top of him, legs tangled together and worries of heating bills swarming in the backs of their minds.

 

    He bit his lower lip as tears pricked the back of his eyes. Youngjae lowered his head and whispered, "Himchan, I have to go." He disconnected the call with haste and pulled Daehyun's sweater tighter around his shoulders.

 

     I want to go home.

 

-

 

    Every night Youngjae would imagine Daehyun beside him. Chaste kisses, light touches, quiet words, gentle snores. He felt his heart crack with every reminder that they couldn't fall asleep in the same room, or even the same country. Those little cracks made way for the pain to seep in, and his heart ached further with every passing day.  


 

    He was glad to have found a friend in Jaebum; someone to give him joy in an otherwise bleak time. They spent many days together, accompanied by caffeine as they sat bent over their books, often going their separate ways with aching necks when night fell. It was somewhat similar to days spent with Daehyun, but there was no loving glances shared or affectionate caresses over exposed skin. Mostly it was shared complaints, small words of encouragement, and Jaebum waking him from his daydreaming.

 

    It was dangerous to get caught up in thoughts and memories of Daehyun, for it only made the ache in his chest worsen.

 

-

 

    "Daehyun has been attacking strange lately," Junhong commented, a worrisome sigh leaving his lips. He rested his jaw in his palm, propping his arm up on the table. Catching sight of Youngjae's concerned look of askance, he quickly began to elaborate. "Every time we invite him out, he says he's busy. And lately he ignores our texts and calls."

 

   "Uh, I- I haven't spoken to him in a few days." He murmured, voice high-pitched from the slumber he had woken from. He rubbed at his eye momentarily as if to rub the fatigue away. "Hang on," He grabbed his near empty bottle of water from the previous night, relishing in the feeling of the cool water washing over his dry tongue.

 

    "I feel like there's something wrong." Junhong continued, either not caring or not aware that he had woken Youngjae at four seventeen am. "You haven't noticed anything strange?"

 

     Youngjae thought back to their last conversation and shook his head. "Not really." He shrugged and adjusted the lid to his laptop, shifting the webcam. A small simper crawled across his face at the recollection of their conversation; Daehyun whispering that he wished Youngjae was home and later making plans for them to go on a small holiday upon his return. "Maybe he just doesn't like you guys anymore." He giggled, peering into his image reflected on the screen and fixing his bed hair.

 

    "I'm serious." He whined slightly. "...I mean, what if he's depressed or something. What if he's sick? What if he's found new friends and hasn't told us? What if-"

 

    "Junnie, maybe you're reading too much into it. He seems fine to me." Though, now that Youngjae thought about, he noticed Daehyun was less quick to answer his texts lately. Youngjae saw the distressed look Junhong wore, and forced the best reassuring smile he could. "I'm sure everything's okay. Um, I'll talk to him when it isn't five am here."

 

    Junhong's eyes widened, realisation dawning on him. "Oh my god, is that the time? I'm so sorry."

 

    Laughter fell from Youngjae's widely stretched mouth. "Goodnight, Junhongie." He waved briefly before disconnecting the call. He gladly fell onto his mattress, sheets swallowing him like ocean waves. He let himself drift in the water, worry for Daehyun now blooming in the back of his mind.

 

-

 

    Youngjae had told himself it was nothing; Junhong was just being paranoid and his worry for Daehyun was unnecessary. But it seemed the young boy hadn't been entirely wrong about the strange behaviour as Youngjae's call was ignored for the fourth time. He let out a sigh and let the quietness of his cold apartment engulf him, sitting in melancholy solitude. He couldn't ignore the strange feeling crawling up the back of his neck.

 

    He drew his hand away from his mouth, thinking of how Daehyun would lightly scold him for biting at his nails, and stared at their frayed edges. He couldn't figure out what to with his hands and instead they clasp and unclasp in a tense rhythm as though there was a constant need for some form of touch, for reassurance. But what he needed was Daehyun, to see him, to touch him, to drink him in through tender kisses. What he needed most of all was to known Daehyun was okay.

 

    Social media served as a distraction that night and he scrolled through photo after photo of friends he hadn't spoken to in months. None of them earned his pressing of the heart button until he came across a post from Junhong. He pressed the heart, simpering at the group photo of Junhong and friends that Youngjae did not recognise. He supposed they were old school friends, knowing Junhong was visiting his family in Mokpo during the fall.

 

    Eventually he fell asleep, recalling the way Daehyun's eyes seemed to contain all the brightest stars.       

     He woke with a start to his loud, piercing ringtone. His phone buzzed annoyingly on the floor and he yawned as he reached for it. He blinked until his blurred vision cleared and he could read Daehyun's name upon his screen, accompanied by a photo of Daehyun's smiling face. Youngjae hurried to answer, excitement quickly brewing in the pit of his stomach.  

 

    "D-Daehyun? Hi. Hi, how are you?" He cringed at the way his voice squeaked when he spoke and he quickly cleared his throat.

 

    "Hi, baby" Daehyun sounded just as tired as Youngjae felt, and he let out a long yawn. Youngjae pictured him lying in bed, ready to sleep, and he wanted nothing more than to join him. "I'm okay. A little tired, but okay." There was a pause, only the sound of the outside world serving as background noise. "I'm so, so sorry for not answering my phone. I didn't mean to ignore you like that."

 

    Youngjae merely hummed, running his hand through his auburn locks. "Mm, were you busy?"

 

     "Yeah..." Daehyun's voice seemed to drop lower in volume. "I was...hanging out with Junhong."

 

     "Ah..." He glanced at the clock on the wall. It was late at night for Daehyun. "You must be tired. I'll let you sleep." He could hear the beginnings of a goodbye from the elder but he hastily hung up before he could hear its end. Daehyun was...lying to him?

 

    He held his phone to his chest and curled into himself on his uncomfortable couch. Youngjae tried to ignore the strange ache he felt in his chest.

-

 

    "This ." Youngjae says after watching thirty minutes of TV show he doesn't even understand, dropping his spoon into the bowl that had previously been filled with chicken and sweetcorn soup.

 

    "I'm sorry that I'm not the gourmet chef you hoped I was." Jaebum replied, a half smile on his lips as he observed the way Youngjae pulled the blanket tighter around his shoulders. He waited a few moments for his friend to quip back but there was silence and he wondered if Youngjae had even heard him. Or perhaps his addled mind was still processing what he had said. Either way, all Youngjae did was stare at the TV screen and blink a few times then cough. "Do you need a drink or a lozenge or...?"

 

    Youngjae shook his head but it seemed to pain him to do so as he grimaced shortly after. Then he whined loudly, "I need Daehyun" and pulled the blanket over his head. He looked like he was wrapping himself in a cocoon. Jaebum's smile grew a little wider.

 

    "I haven't heard you talking about Daehyun for a while." He kneeled before Youngjae, curled up on the floor of his apartment and too sick to move (or at least that's what he said after asking Jaebum to make him soup). He dug into the blankets and pressed his hand to Youngjae's forehead. "That fever doesn't seem to have gone away."

 

     Youngjae coughed and Jaebum left his side and he tried to focus on the TV but it was useless and all he could see was Jaebum taking away the empty bowl. It was true what Jaebum said, about him not talking about Daehyun. In truth, he didn't want to think about him. He didn't want to think about the way Daehyun didn't answer his calls unless it was late at night. He didn't want to think about the excuse Daehyun gave about why he couldn't call because Daehyun was a bad liar and Youngjae always knew that’s what he was doing. He didn't want to think about the last time they spoke when Daehyun had sounded breathless and was panting too hard, almost as though....

 

    He didn't want to think about Daehyun. But Daehyun never seemed to leave his mind. Not entirely, at least. Sometimes he was pushed into small corners and saved away for later but he was still there, ever present while Youngjae tried to focus on anything else. And everything seemed to remind him of Daehyun. Even small things. Like now, Jaebum was dragging the couch closer to the TV and Youngjae felt something squeeze his heart as he was reminded of the last December when he and Daehyun had moved the furniture so they could dance and were too lazy to move it back for days. Then his mind wandered and he was hoping Himchan wouldn't forget to give Daehyun the christmas present Youngjae had left him with like he forgot to give Daehyun this year's birthday present.

 

    "Ah I hope Daehyun has a nice Christmas." He murmured and Jaebum stopped pushing the couch to give Youngjae a look of askance. But Youngjae wasn't looking at Jaebum anymore. He was thinking about last year's Christmas when Daehyun tried to make a nice dinner for the six of them and he sent Youngjae to buy white chocolate because he couldn't find it. Youngjae had returned to find Daehyun outside the apartment, cradling his head in his hands and pacing back on forth. "Daehyun?" Youngjae questioned him and walked closer, to which Daehyun quickly spun around and yelled at him with urgency to open the door. "Wh-what happened?" He fumbled with his keys and Daehyun hurriedly explained he got himself locked out because he had tried to tell Youngjae that he found the white chocolate. When the door finally opened, the smoke filled their lungs and made their eyes sting and Youngjae opened all the windows while Daehyun cried about the ruined dinner. Youngjae tried to make light of the situation, joking about how now they knew the smoke detector was broken but Daehyun only sulked. He buried his face into Youngjae's neck to hide the red flush on his cheeks. They ended up eating at the McDonald's down the street, the six of them squished in a booth meant for four.

 

    Youngjae felt wet warmth forming on his lashes. He let out a long breath but it felt like his lungs were clogged with sand and he was submerged in water. He wanted to be with Daehyun, who filled his lungs with stardust with every stolen kiss.

-

 

    It was stupid. He was stupid. He shouldn't be doing this, but he was. Straining his eyes by staring at his bright blue laptop screen in the dead of the night, Youngjae was looking up just how much a plane ticket home would cost. But it was January and he would be going home in March anyway and he shouldn't just up and leave only for a few days because it was pointless and...and...

 

    He wasn't sure if Daehyun would even want to see him.

 

    Youngjae felt bad for thinking it, but he spent too many sleepless nights thinking that maybe, just possibly Daehyun was cheating on him. The avoiding of calls, the strange behaviour, the way he always sounded breathless...it seemed to be a likely cause. And he hated himself just for thinking it but he did. And he had chewed his nails until it seemed there was nothing more he could chew.

 

    He could go for a few days, just to see Daehyun and put his mind at ease. With every passing day, he was growing more concerned. One thought seemed to swim above all of them in his sea of troubles; what if the distance he had put between them killed the relationship?

 

    It was only $1325 for a ticket. It was fine. It was just for a few days.

 

    His finger hovered over the icon and he was so close to pressing it when his ring tone started playing and Himchan wanted to video chat. He hesitantly accepted. But this was good. Himchan would tell him he was being stupid.

 

    "Hi." He said, voice lacking any energy and sounding completely monotone.

 

    "Hey. I thought you'd be asleep." Himchan grinned and Youngjae noticed that the sun shone through the window behind him, bathing him in a beautiful light. Youngjae felt entirely small and hoped the darkness he was in would cover the dark circles under his eyes.

 

    "Then why'd you call?" The answer he received was in the form of a laugh and Himchan just shook his head.

 

    "I have something funny to tell you." He didn't continue until Youngjae gave him a slight nod of the head to show he was listening. "So, yesterday we went to see a movie and I invited Daehyun out to come with us but he said he couldn't because he was planning to do a video call with you." Youngjae frowned slightly. He hadn't done a video chat with Daehyun for over a month, but he held that information from Himchan. "And so the four of us went out without him. After the movie, Junhong and I were really hungry so we all went to the McDonalds near the theatre and we went through the drive through and ordered. I got a Big Mac and some fries, Junhong got a -"

 

   "Is what you ordered really important to the story?" Youngjae questioned, swallowing back a yawn.

 

    Himchan just paused, took a minute to think, and shook his head. "No. Anyway, we rolled up to the window to collect our food and the guy who handed it to us was Daehyun! And I didn't know what to say, and he didn't know either so we just kind of looked at each other for a moment and he looked scared and he ran away so someone else gave us our food instead. We were all kind of shocked, I guess. Because we thought he would be home, you know? Anyway, we ended up parking the car and eating in the actual McDonalds and we could see Daehyun working in the kitchen from where we sat. And I mean, it was pretty late so not many people were working. It was him and I think three other people. Eventually he switched to work at the counter. So we kept ordering ridiculous things like...hmm...Jongup ordered a burger without the buns and the meat. Daehyun looked so angry. I took a photo. I'll send it." Himchan continued while Youngjae's phone buzzed. He looked at the photo for a second, smothering a guffaw at the glare Daehyun was sending Jongup. He looked...cute in the uniform. Youngjae wondered why Daehyun didn't tell him he got a job. "And Yongguk ordered an oreo McFlurry without the ice cream. So it was just oreo bits." Himchan stopped to laugh. "Junhong kept trying to order from the breakfast menu and Daehyun told him, like, three times that it was past the serving time for the breakfast menu When I finished eating, I ordered an apple pie without the apple filling and Daehyun just stormed off. Man, you should've seen it." Himchan looked a little too pleased with himself. "Anyway, I suppose he didn't call you, then?"

 

    Youngjae nodded. "He didn't video call. He did a normal phone call but I was in a class."

 

    "Mm." Himchan grinned, nodding his head to what Youngjae was saying. "Actually, his shift ended while we were there and he came up to us and asked if any of us had a phone charger but we didn't it. He said his phone died when he was taking his breaks. What time did he call you?"

 

    "Uh..." Youngjae quickly checked his phone history. "10:43 am...so that's....11:43 pm for you."

 

     "Ah, that's what I was expecting."

 

      "What do you mean?" Youngjae questioned as he buried himself deeper under the blankets.

 

      "Nothing. I just think Daehyun ran home so he could call you before your class." Himchan smiled wistfully. "He's an idiot though. He could've just borrowed my phone."

 

     Youngjae laughed softly and Himchan promised he would get Daehyun to call more often. The younger wondered how he'd known but Himchan was quick to explain. "Actually, Daehyun came to my place a few days ago crying because he thinks he's been treating you badly. He says he's been neglecting you a bit because he feels a little ashamed... I don't know what he's ashamed about because he didn't tell me but I'm thinking it has something to do with his new job."

 

    Youngjae just frowned.

 

    Himchan finally convinced Daehyun to answer Youngjae's video call and the younger frowned when he was met with his boyfriend wear a mask. He questioned it and Daehyun ignored it, moving on quickly to an apology. It was a long call, with Daehyun explaining carefully with tears in his eyes that he felt ashamed that he had dropped out of school. He felt ashamed that he only ever attended online universities and he wasn't good at holding a job for too long, and they were all part-time because it was rare that someone wanted to hire a person who never finished high school. He felt uneasy that Youngjae was studying abroad and doing well with his life while Daehyun could barely even support himself, let alone Youngjae. He finally explained that he hadn't told Youngjae about his new job because Daehyun wanted him to be surprised. But mostly because he didn't want Youngjae to pay more than half of the hotel fee when they went on their trip at the end of March.

 

   Youngjae didn't speak through much of this, merely nodding and wishing he could wipe the tears from Daehyun's eyes. When they fell into silence, Youngjae felt fresh tears threatening to spill down his own cheeks. "I love you so much, Daehyun." Was all he managed to say, words caught in his throat while he tried to stop himself from crying.

 

    "I miss you." Daehyun whispered, eyes downcast.

 

    Eventually Youngjae croaked out, "I'll be home soon."

 

-

 

    One month left. One month and he could see Daehyun again. He was bubbling with excitement as he packed his things into boxes, the giddy smile unable to leave his face. He thought about how ached his heart felt being apart but now it was beginning to fade. It wouldn't be long until he would be able to hold Daehyun in his arms again.

 

    "Hi, babe." Daehyun answered when Youngjae called him on Valentine's day, and the younger smiled because he could hear the happiness in Daehyun's voice. He didn't seem so tired anymore.

 

    "Hi." He lay in his bed, imaging a silhouette of Daehyun beside him like he had done on so many sleepless nights. "I just called to say that I love you, and I miss you."

 

    Daehyun hummed. "I love you and miss you too." Youngjae heard shuffling on the other end and wondered if Daehyun was in bed too. "You'll be home soon." And Youngjae knew he was smiling when he said that. "I'll pick you up at the train station, okay?"

 

    "Okay!" Youngjae may have said it a little too quickly and a little too loudly but he didn't care. He was so damn excited to see Daehyun. He played with the loose thread on Daehyun's sweater that he wore when he missed home, though it had completely lost the scent of Daehyun by now. "Did you book the flights?"

 

    "I did. I'm excited to go. I've never been to Japan." Youngjae smiled when he heard this. Daehyun sounded like a young boy ready for adventure in an unknown land.

 

    "Ah, you'll love it. I'll take you to all the best parts my parents took me to when I was little."

 

    "I can't wait to see everything. I want to go everywhere, Youngjae. And I..." Youngjae didn't mean to, but he fell asleep to Daehyun's excited talking, feeling completely comforted by the voice and imagining he was home.

 

-

 

    The train ride was long. Too long. Youngjae spent the whole time jittering in his seat, crossing and uncrossing his legs, clasping and unclasping his hands. He was filled with an excited buzz that travelled across his skin like static, and he was beginning for the train to pick up speed.

 

    Every so often he would look outside and think about how he cried one year ago on the train going the opposite way. How fitting it was that he could feel tears behind his eyes growing the closer he got to the station.

 

    Truthfully, part of him was expecting Daehyun to forget to pick him up. So when the train pulled to a stop, he held his breath and when the doors opened, he dug his fingers into the handles of his suitcases. He stepped onto the platform and his eyes immediately went to the figure standing down the platform. A smile broke onto Youngjae's face, so wide he was certain it stretched across his entire face.

 

   Daehyun was there, in front of him, and he almost didn't believe it. But it wasn't a dream; he was really there. And suddenly, Daehyun was running towards him and Youngjae's hands left the suitcases he held onto so dearly. He stretched his arms open wide, ready to engulf his entire world between them. Their bodies collided with a dull thud and they stumbled from the impact, but neither care. Youngjae felt Daehyun's fingers in his hair and he himself placed his hands on Daehyun's cheeks, wet with tears. There were no words for a moment; instead, there was a kiss. Passionate, tender, sweet, loving.

 

   "Youngjae," Daehyun's voice was rough and deep and he sniffed, pressing his chest against Youngjae's efore his hands fell to the younger's shoulders, "I missed you."

 

    "Daehyun," Youngjae spoke and let his lip brush against Daehyun's cheeks before he kissed at the tears slipping from the elder's eyes, "I'm home now." He buried his face into Daehyun's neck, breathing in his scent.

 

    He never wanted to let go.


 

A/N: I'm considering writing a sequel. Either of just domestic daejae starting from exactly where it ends with Youngjae getting used to life with Daehyun again, or with their trip to Japan. Let me know if you'd like either, or neither. Anyway, thank you reading and I'm sorry if the pacing was weird. I wrote part of this in April and the other half today. 

 

p.s I know that thing about Daehyun avoiding Youngjae was weird and my explanation was really bad but I'm so tired and I just want to finish this. I'm so sorry.