Chemistry Part II

To Love, Honor, and Protect

banchan: Korean side dishes
unjeonsa: driver
Yun-jeonsa: A play on Yeong Ho's name with unjeonsa

maany deuseyo: Have a good meal!
Godori (also called Go-Stop) is a Korean card game
Chingu: friend
Oppa: older brother (not always biological, can be used by a female for a male she is close to or even a boyfriend)

Disclaimer: I don't own the rights to Boys Over Flowers or its characters, nor the song "Santa Lucia."

*I use a lot of English idioms and westernized phrases because I am American and they just come naturally to me. I'm writing in English, but I do try to make note of the culture I'm writing about and throw some eastern/Korean-izations in there. I also do research, but I don't always have the information for the Korean equivalent. So, go with it, lol.

Lady Luck: The personification of luck as a lady bringing good or bad fortune: Lady Luck was against us and we lost the game.

So, I have a very long, fun chapter (I think) in store for you, before things get heavy! This is my longest chapter yet (for this story) yet, and I put many hours of work into it, so I hope you all enjoy!


Chapter Five: Chemistry Part II

Several of the firefighters had brought out a long table and chairs so they could all sit down to dinner. Jae Hyun had set places for all six firefighters on duty, as well as Captain Geum, and he was now bringing out the meal he'd made. He came out of the kitchen wearing a red 'Kiss the Cook (written in English and Hangul)' apron. A few of the firefighters about it, tossing out comments like 'nice apron,' and 'real manly.'

Some of the guys had already taken their usual spots when Jae Hyun set the pot down in the middle of the table. Sung Jin, who was nearest to him, looked up from his seat and commented, "I ain't kissin' you."

"Good, please don't," Jae Hyun replied, adding an 'or I'll hit you' under his breath. Sung Jin scoffed. Then Yeong Ho spoke up. "Well, Captain Geum is here today. Maybe she'll kiss you..."

Jan Di snapped her head toward the older firefighter, who was smirking her way. She chuckled a bit. "No, sorry, I've already filled my kissing quota for the day." The words came flying out, and she immediately regretted them because every head turned her way as if they actually believed it.

"Whaat?" Jan Di held up her hands. "That was a little thing called a joke, you guys. Ever heard of it? ...I didn't kiss anyone today," she added, trying to seem nonchalant I haven't kissed anyone in a long time…

There was more laughter interspersed with remarks such as: 'ohhh okay,' 'right,' and 'good one, Captain Geum.' But then Jung Woo chimed in. "I don't know...You were upstairs with the Chief for quite a while."

Jan Di couldn't quite tell if he was joking or not, but Jung Woo looked over at Chief Yoon when he said it, and the two exchanged some kind of brief staredown. Chief Yoon's look was more serene than Jung Woo's; the latter almost seemed peeved.

Jan Di promptly refuted the insinuation. "Don't be ridiculous. Nothing happened." Why am I defending myself?

Ji Hoo glanced over at her, but only for a second, and she looked down, feeling bad about so vehemently denying that anything happened between them. She hoped it didn't come out as an insult, but Ji Hoo didn't seem to take any offense and turned his attention to the food. "Well, it smells great, Jae Hyun." That, thankfully, got everyone off the subject.

"Thanks, Chief! I hope you like it; I hope you all do!" Jae Hyun exclaimed.

"I'm sure we will," Ji Hoo commented as he pulled out a chair and beckoned for Jan Di to take a seat. At the same time, Jung Woo also pulled out a chair for her.

Jan Di assumed they were both trying to be gentlemen, but she didn't know whose offered chair to take. She didn't want to play favorites and cause more tension than she already sensed between them, so she prepared to make an excuse and move to a spot further down...but then Ji Hoo rescinded his offer and let Jung Woo give her the chair. Jan Di watched as Ji Hoo made his way to the head of the table, and she took the seat offered, a couple chairs down from the end. Jung Woo sat next to her, and one of the younger ones sat on her other side.

The mood lightened after that…

"Hey, where are the banchan?" Sung Jin spoke up, noticing the solitary pot in the middle of the table.

"Aish, already complaining…" Jae Hyun scowled. "You're never gonna get a woman that way."

Sung Jin opened his mouth to protest, but Jae Hyun spoke first. "Anyway, we're not having Korean food tonight, so no side dishes."

Sung Jin looked at him curiously. "Then what type of food are we having?"

"You'll see." Jae Hyun grinned. Once everyone was seated, the chef proudly took the lid off the pot, revealing his dish. The presentation was met with some oohs and ahhs, and Jae Hyun beckoned them to dig in.

The firefighters got up and crowded around the pot of food, eventually forming a line, and they started filling up their plates. Jan Di sat in her seat, waiting patiently, while the men eagerly heaped food onto their plates. She knew the dangers of waiting when eating with a large group of guys, but she didn't want to be rude.

Chief Yoon, likewise, had stayed back, but then she saw him get up and go over to the pot. She watched him prepare a plate, but once he had filled it nearly to the brim, instead of taking it back to his seat, he walked over and placed it before her. As he did so, he took the empty plate in front of her. She looked up at him in surprise. He smiled down at her, and she smiled back, giving him a little bow of thanks, and he returned to the pot. He waited a moment for one of the other guys to finish and finally served himself.

Staring down at the tasty-looking and creative dish in front of her, Jan Di exclaimed, "Wau, it looks great!" And Jae Hyun seemed pleased.

Jan Di studied the plate before beginning. There was a bed of neatly arranged noodles tossed in some kind of spices and sprinkled with cheese and meat. "What's it called? It's some kind of noodles or pasta dish?" she asked.

"Yes, pasta alla carbonara," the young cook replied in English with his best Italian accent added to it.

"Sounds fancy," Do Yun commented.

"Yes, it's Italian," Jae Hyun announced proudly.

Looking over from beside Jan Di, "What in the world possessed you to make an Italian dish?" Jung Woo asked.

"You know I like a challenge, Sunbae," Jae Hyun reminded him with a grin. Then he focused on Jan Di. "You see, Captain Geum, I like to dabble here and there with different types of foods," he explained. "...Plus, I thought I'd make something special since we have a guest." For the last part, Jae Hyun glanced shyly away from Jan Di and instead addressed the group.

"Wauuuu!" the guys shouted out, embarrassing their friend.

Jan Di thought it sweet, but Jae Hyun was now getting mercilessly teased by all but Chief Yoon. She finally decided to put an end to the taunting. "I think it was really nice of you, Jae Hyun-ssi. Thank you." She smiled at Jae Hyun, when he grew bold enough to look back, and then her eyes drifted over to Chief Yoon.

"If we get to eat like this, can Jan Di Noona come every day?" Sung Jin blurted out.

"Sung Jin, you should call her Captain Geum," Ji Hoo corrected in a serious yet good-natured manner.

"Sorry, Chief, but what if she's okay with it?" Ji Hoo shrugged, and Sung Jin turned to Jan Di. "Can I call you Noona?"

"Well, I...guess so." She gave him a small smile and a nod.

"And to answer your question," Ji Hoo directed his words at Sung Jin, "Captain Geum is welcome to come here when she wants, but keep in mind that she has to work, too."

Chief Yoon's response was met with the suggestion that they steal her away from the EMS team, which brought a smile to Jan Di's face. She was glad they seemed to like her.

Another firefighter agreed with the idea. "Yeah, she'd fit in well here. See how good she looks in your shirt, Chief!"

It was meant as an innocent comment, but Jan Di blushed, nonetheless. She'd almost forgotten she was wearing his shirt…

Jan Di appreciated the sentiment but decided to set them straight. "Well, I really like you guys, but I'm sorry. I couldn't leave my team."

Some of the firefighters groaned, but they soon got over it and focused on their food again.

The corner of Jan Di's lips twitched as she prepared to go at her noodles with the provided fork, but Jae Hyun stopped her. "Oh wait." He came over to her side, added a little garnish to her plate, and said, "Okay, bon appétit!"

And Jae Hyun proceeded to explain, for the sake of his denser colleagues, that the phrase meant the same as 'maany deuseyo,' to have a good meal. He also told them not to eat the green stuff, that it was just for looks, as he garnished everyone else's plate. A couple of the guys laughed, and one said he didn't care how pretty his meal looked and had no interest in having something on his plate that he couldn't eat and told Jae Hyun to take it away.

"Such a lovely presentation," Jan Di complimented the young man for his hard work before twirling some pasta around her fork. Ji Hoo had taken a bite by now, and he seemed to enjoy it. He smiled over at her with his eyes.

"Thank you!" Jae Hyun beamed at Jan Di. "At least Captain Geum appreciates fine food," he declared as he scooped out some pasta for himself and then sat down with his plate.

Ji Hoo commented on that. "Well, we appreciate you keeping us fed, Jae Hyun, but I do worry that we're going to lose you to some culinary school someday."

"Aw, be serious, Chief." The rookie chuckled.

"I am being serious. I'm very concerned about it," Ji Hoo said in his deadpan way, causing Jan Di to smile.

"Never, Chief! I'm a firefighter for life! Cooking is just my hobby. Everyone needs a hobby, right? Don't you have one, Chief?"

"Well, I don't have much time for a hobby, but...I have been reading more lately..." Ji Hoo glanced over at Jan Di when he said this. She looked down and smiled to herself, recalling their very enjoyable reading discussions of late.

"I guess Chief is an intellectual now," Jung Woo remarked. The two friends smirked playfully at one another.

"So, what do you think of it, Chief?" Jae Hyun motioned toward the food.

"It's very good."

"And you, Captain Geum?"

"Excellent, Jae Hyun-ssi."

Jae Hyun couldn't be happier. And he went on to explain that his dish wasn't exactly authentic because he didn't have the right type of cheese or meat and said that he'd improvised. He also admitted to being nervous about how it would turn out. No one seemed to care about that, though, and were rather raving about how tasty it was. Some even had it half gone already. The rookie then commented that it would normally be served with wine but that he skipped that because they were on duty.

"I prefer soju, anyway," Do Yun spoke up through a mouthful.

"That's not the point." Jae Hyun sighed at the lack of taste and class among the group. "It's not a food you'd drink soju with."

Do Yun simply shrugged and continued eating...

"Well, it's really good," Yeong Ho said, scarfing his down.

"Yeah, who needs a woman when I have you to cook for me?!" Sung Jin chimed in. He was met with some raised brows, a mixture of amused and disturbed looks. "Oh." He realized how it must have sounded and quickly clarified, "But I still want a woman! You know...for other things."

The firefighters burst into laughter.

Jan Di was a bit pink in the cheeks but still chuckling along with the group. She was used to guy-humor, after all, and she liked the firefighters. They were funny, cute, and entertaining, like her own colleagues.

"Yah, there's a lady present," Jung Woo chastised Sung Jin.

He bowed his head. "Mianhada, Captain Geum!"

"It's okay." Jan Di knew that Sung Jin was harmless and probably far more innocent than he acted. Taking another bite, she glanced over at Ji Hoo at the head of the table again. She was trying not to, but her eyes kept gravitating there. When their eyes met, the chief gave a little shrug of apology. Jan Di shook her head, silently telling him it was okay, and she gave him a little smile once she finished chewing.

Ji Hoo noticed there was a several-minute period when things got very quiet, but as the pasta dwindled, everyone started talking more: about work, life, and just whatever came to mind. He noticed that the men seemed more energetic tonight. They acted like themselves, for the most part, but they kept their conversations a bit tamer around Captain Geum. They all seemed very eager to get to know her, and they wanted to know everything‒about her work and her life. As for Jan Di, she kept the conversation mostly on work, skillfully managing to avoid divulging much personal information about herself.

Who did that remind him of? Ji Hoo mused.

All Captain Geum really told them about herself was that she was unmarried and had a mother and brother who owned a business nearby. The guys accepted that, at least for now, and finished their meal, raving off and on about it. One of the guys said it was the best thing he'd eaten, and another wanted it to be his last meal before he died. It didn't take long for them to wolf down the pasta.

Do Yun was a bit behind the others and still finishing his meal. "I feel like I've died and gone to Italy," he said. "I can see the Leaning Tower of Pisa, the canals of Venice, and some grape vineyards off in the distance…" He painted the picture with his hand.

"Are you just naming things that come from Italy?" Jung Woo quipped, and he exchanged an amused look with Ji Hoo.

"Yes, I believe you just described three different regions," Ji Hoo said, earning a laugh from Jung Woo.

Do Yun ignored his superiors' comments. "I can even hear that famous song in the background… What's it called…?" The guys looked at him like he was nuts, even more so when he attempted to sing that Italian song…

Sul mare luccica, l'astro d'argento

Placida è l'onda, prospero il vento;

Sul mare luccica l'astro d'argento

Placida è l'onda, prospero il vento;

Venite all'agile barchetta mia;

Santa Lucia! Santa Lucia!

"Please stop! My ears are bleeding!" Yeong Ho shouted, covering his ears dramatically.

"Yeah, your Italian , Do Yun. Stick to your own language." Jung Woo said, interrupting the next verse.

Jan Di stifled a giggle but immediately grew stern, "That's so mean! Let the guy sing if he's happy."

"Thank you, Captain Geum!" Do Yun said, returning to his food.

And Jung Woo turned to look at Jan Di. "I'd be happy to, my dear Captain Geum, if only I had a pair of earplugs on me."

"Oh yeah? So, you are expert in the Italian language, are you, Jung Woo-ssi?"

"Can't say that I am."

"How about singing? Let's hear you sing."

"Sorry, can't sing a note."

"Then you have no room to talk, do you?"

"No, I guess not." Jung Woo raised a brow at an unsmiling Jan Di, hoping to get her to crack one. But she'd folded her arms and was encouraging him with a head tilt. Getting her meaning, he turned to Do Yun. "My apologies, Do Yun."

"No worries, Sunbae," he said.

Jan Di was pleased with the apology; she also forced Yeong Ho to say sorry before her work was finished. Meanwhile, Ji Hoo was looking down at his mostly empty plate, fighting a grin over Jan Di scolding and forcing an apology out of two of his toughest guys as if they were children.

"Speaking of Italy, have any of you ever been?" Jan Di brought up.

"Chief has," Jung Woo responded.

Jan Di leaned on her fist with interest. "Really?"

"Once, years ago," Ji Hoo said.

"What did you think of it?" Jan Di asked, truly curious.

"It was fine."

"Just fine? I can't believe that. It must have been amazing!"

Ji Hoo smiled faintly. It wasn't something that he liked to talk or think about, so he supposed he'd blocked a lot of it out. But it had been an amazing place, particularly the countryside. Since Jan Di was so interested, he supposed he could indulge her and talk about it just this once. "Well, I was in Rome, Florence, Venice…" He went on to tell her about the sights he saw while his mind drifted back. "But the countryside was more scenic."

As he recounted his trip, Ji Hoo tucked away any unpleasant memories associated with the trip, and he felt as though he was experiencing the journey anew, seeing it through the fresh eyes of Captain Geum. And he was appreciating it more because of her enthusiasm. What was it about her...?

She just had this zest for life and a way of making even the smallest of things seem special. She was one who fit the description 'easily pleased,' and Ji Hoo found it rather endearing. But Captain Geum was like leaves on a tree; she could change with a season, yet even more frequently than that. One minute she could be starry-eyed as a child, and the next, she was completely woman‒fiery, confident, in control. Whether she was doing her job, being a leader, or acting like a mother figure to his guys, she was truly fascinating.

Ji Hoo shook off his reverie. "Oh, and part of the Amalfi Coast," he added.

"The Amalfi Coast!" Jan Di's eyes lit up again. "Did you go to Positano?"

"No, I didn't make it there."

"Well, it's supposed to be amazing! It's this beautiful little town along the coast with these cute, pastel-colored homes on the cliffs. To live there…," she spoke wistfully, "that view must be incredible."

Ji Hoo smiled brightly over at her. "I hope you get to see it someday." She smiled back.

Then Jan Di felt the dog pawing at her leg. "What is it, girl?" She assumed she wanted food.

Jan Di had made sure that the dog was given water, and Jae Hyun was kind enough to smash up some good-quality ground meat for her, but that didn't stop her from begging. When she didn't get any scraps from Jan Di, she hit up the firefighters, and a few indulged her by slipping leftover chunks of meat under the table for her.

"Not too much or she'll get sick," Jan Di warned when she caught sight of this.

"Yes, Captain Geum," the rookie, who was caught, sheepishly said.

"You know, we still need a name for her," Jan Di pointed out. She looked to Ji Hoo, and he glanced around the room. "Any suggestions?" he asked of the group. They thought long and hard, some looking carefully at the dog, studying her features, and they tossed out a few names.

When Jan Di was asked her opinion, she said, "Well, I think she should have a name that is befitting of a fire dog."

"Hm, good idea, but what?" Ji Hoo asked.

"Well, something...that has to do with fighting fires." Jan Di laughed. "I don't know, you guys are the firemen here!"

"How about Flame or Sparky?" Sung Jin tossed out.

Jan Di wrinkled her brow. "Something like that, but maybe not quite so cliché."

After taking a look at the dog's black and gray fur, Ji Hoo suggested, "Smoke, Ash?"

"Mmm...closer…"

"What about a fire god like Hephaestus or Agni or Fuji?" another firefighter, whose name she'd forgotten, brought up. She was told he liked reading about mythology and stuff. A few of the other guys chimed in with more.

"Those are all pretty good names. I think you guys are on the right track…" Jan Di tapped her chin thoughtfully. "Oh, wait, I might have it!" she announced loudly. "What about...Ember?"

"Ember," Ji Hoo his chin, pondering. "I like it."

"Yeah, it's good, Captain Geum," Do Yun said.

"Yeah, I like it, too," Sung Jin agreed.

They took a vote, and there was a consensus, so the fire dog would henceforth be called Ember…


After dinner, Jae Hyun announced that he hoped they'd all saved room, and he brought out dessert‒tiramisu.

"I want to make love to this cake," Sung Jin announced after a few bites in.

Yeong Ho cleared his throat and motioned toward Jan Di. "What? I said 'make love,'" Sung Jin used air quotes. "That's better, right?"

"Yeah, but that's not really the…" Yeong Ho exhaled. "Babo."

"How about you, Noona, does this cake do anything for you?" The young guy winked at her.

Rather than being embarrassed, Jan Di gave a short, vibrant laugh. "Well, I don't have quite such strong feelings for it as that, but it is really amazing." Jan Di a bit of cream off the tip of her fork. Suddenly, she realized that almost all the firefighters were watching her eat now, and she grew uncomfortable.

Noticing this, Ji Hoo sighed and shook his head. "You guys, stop looking at Captain Geum. Haven't you ever seen a woman eat cake before?"

He apologized to her, and she waved it off as no big deal. The creamy, coffee-flavored Italian dessert was a big hit and was quickly devoured.


After the delicious dessert, the firefighters retired to the common area, of course, after putting their plates in the kitchen, as Chief Yoon reminded. All but two; Sung Jin was now doing the dishes, and Do Yun was off finishing the laundry that he'd forgotten about.

"Ohh, I'm so full…," Yeong Ho groaned as he stretched out into a chair. "I hope there's not a fire because I don't think I can move." There was scattered laughter. "I can't believe we haven't gotten one this evening…"

"Shh, don't say that, Sunbae! You'll jinx it," Do Yun commented as he returned from the laundry room carrying a basket. He passed by everyone on his way to the sleeping quarters. "Don't look, Captain Geum, men's underwear coming through…"

"Oh, don't worry. I've seen my fair share of male underwear, trust me," Jan Di offhandedly commented. And all heads turned her way. "Guys! I have a brother, and hello, I work with men all day long..." The firefighters all grunted or nodded some sort of acknowledgment.

"Yeah...all of whom I've done laundry for, I'm sorry to say…" Her statement earned a laugh from the guys before they went back to their business.

Everyone was doing something now. Some of the firefighters were playing with Ember, with toys and trying to teach her tricks, and a couple others had brought out a small, round card table and were setting it up. Jung Woo pulled a pack of cards out of his pocket and took them over to the table.

As for Jan Di, she was just kind of hanging around. She'd offered to help clean up, but Chief Yoon wouldn't hear of it, and he informed her that they all had tasks they were expected to complete around the station and that it went on a rotation.

"But what about the mess Ember made in your office?" Jan Di brought up the unfortunate dog-washing incident, but Ji Hoo just waved it off. "I've already taken care of that."

"When did you…?"

He just smiled at her, and she couldn't help but smile back. Then he suggested she have a seat on the couch in the day room‒because it was the most comfortable place.

Jan Di knew she should go home at some point, but she was really enjoying herself at the station with the guys. Chief Yoon didn't seem to be in a hurry to get her to leave, but she hoped she wasn't overstaying her welcome.

After beckoning her to sit down, Ji Hoo exited the day room and walked across the hall to his office, adjacent to the training room. He came back carrying an acoustic guitar, the one he kept at the station.

When she saw him enter with the guitar, Jan Di asked, "Chief Yoon plays guitar?" of one of the younger firefighters who was playing with Ember on the floor near her.

"Yes, Chief is very musical," the rookie chimed in.

Of course. She should have known, considering the instruments she'd seen when she was at his apartment. Not many people have instruments in their home that they don't play unless they collect them or something.

Ji Hoo brought his guitar over and took a seat in a lounge chair next to the couch she was sitting on. He positioned the guitar on his lap, his fingers poised at the strings, and he looked over at her.

"Any requests?" he asked.

Jan Di tapped her chin, thinking about it. "I don't know offhand…" She suddenly felt the need to come up with a really good song. "What songs do you know?" she asked.

He gave her an irresistible smile. "I know many songs. What kind of music do you like, Captain Geum?"

"Hm, well, I like a variety, I guess."

"A variety it is." Ji Hoo focused on his guitar once more and began to lightly strum.

He started off with a mellow tune…

A few notes in, Jan Di exclaimed, "Oh, that's, that's...!" Shaking a finger at him, she quickly identified the song.

"Good," Ji Hoo said, continuing to strum. Jan Di tapped her toe to the familiar melody. After finishing that one, he went on to play a more upbeat song that had Jan Di bouncing her knee and clapping along.

He played more songs, one or two which caught Sung Jin and Jae Hyun's attention. The two younger guys got excited and pulled Jan Di up for a dance. They each took her for a turn around the room, giving her the occasional twirl, and she smiled and laughed.

The rookies lost interest in dancing soon after and returned to playing with the dog, and Jan Di sat back down on the couch, thankful for the break. She loved music and singing and dancing, but it was nice to just sit back and listen, too. Chief Yoon continued to play for her, and it even turned into a contest of sorts, to see if she could guess the song he was playing.

Ji Hoo would give Jan Di three guesses to get the song, and the faster she did, the more praise he gave her. Her pout was cute when she guessed wrong, but he also enjoyed how excited she got when she guessed right. At one point she even asked for a prize for getting it right. "You're just lucky I'm not charging you for the performance," he teased. He held out the palm of his hand as if demanding payment.

Jan Di immediately slapped his hand. "Pay you?" She quirked a brow. "Yah, what, are you some famous musician or something?"

"No, I suppose not." Ji Hoo chuckled and went back to playing.

Amidst Chief Yoon's music, Jan Di noticed that Sung Jin had Ember standing up on two legs and spinning around in a circle while he danced a toy in the air. "This dog is so smart," he commented, to which his buddy nodded. "Yeah, I bet we could teach her a lot of tricks!" Jae Hyun chimed in.

"Maybe you should train her," Jan Di suggested. The rookies looked over at her. "What do you mean?"

"Well, since she's the fire dog, maybe she could somehow help you guys out. I mean, not like you're going to send Ember into burning buildings, but maybe you could train her to be useful at the station somehow."

Jan Di glanced over at Ji Hoo. He'd stopped playing momentarily and seemed to be considering it. "What do you think?" she asked.

"That's a possibility."

"I like it!" Sung Jin exclaimed, and Jae Hyun nodded.

Ji Hoo went back to messing around with his guitar while Jan Di got down on the floor to pet Ember with the guys. She the dog's now soft, healthy coat. When she happened to glance up at Ji Hoo, he gently smiled, catching her off-guard. How many times this evening had he made her heart skip a beat?

Now she felt the need to come up with something to say, so it didn't seem too obvious… But all she could think of was a question. "So, is this a typical day for you guys?" she asked the chief.

"Not at all," Ji Hoo replied. "We're normally much busier. This is one of those rare slow days, so we are trying to enjoy it. But even on the slow days, we're not usually all gathered like this. It's nice. It must be your influence, Captain Geum."

Jan Di felt her cheeks warm a bit.

Chief Yoon simply returned to his guitar, saying he was going to slow things down a bit. He played a sad song next, and it nearly had Jan Di in tears. After that one, he asked what she would like to hear next.

Jan Di thought about it for a moment. "How about your favorite one?"

He pondered this. "Alright."

. . .

He played a soft, melodic song, and Jan Di wasn't sure what to think of it. All she knew was that she was captivated. It was the kind of song that inexplicably made you feel things… There were so many emotions mixed up in this one song that she wasn't sure whether to smile, laugh, or cry…and it didn't even have words…

"It was really nice," she didn't know what else to say, though that didn't seem to do the song justice at all. "Why is it your favorite?"

"Because...it's sad but hopeful."

"Hopeful?"

"Yes." Ji Hoo repositioned his guitar. "You see, I think of myself as a realistic man, Captain Geum. I have seen a lot of terrible things...pain, suffering, death… But sometimes, I like to imagine a more...idealistic world."

She looked over at him. "I know what you mean," she said wistfully, their shared gaze lingering. "...Um, so I didn't recognize that one. Are there lyrics?"

"No, but there's a story behind the melody."

"What's the story?"

Ji Hoo gazed off across the room. "It's about a man who loses everything, and at first he wants to give up on life, but then...he finds a new purpose, and he begins to rebuild his life from there."

"Ahh." There were many things Jan Di had discovered about Yoon Ji Hoo recently, and one of those was the power of his words and his voice.; they had a way of mesmerizing her and causing her to fall hook, line, and sinker for whatever he was telling her...

She watched him for a moment.

"I'll play one more," he said. Ji Hoo the frets, beginning a slow, relaxing intro.

The next tune so peaceful that Jan Di nestled back on the couch, and Ember curled up against her borrowed slippers, keeping her feet warm. While listening to the song, Jan Di found herself fighting back sleep. Her eyelashes fluttered a few times, but she was confident she could force herself to stay awake.

. . .

Ji Hoo stopped playing when he noticed that Jan Di had drifted off on the common room couch. She looked so peaceful that didn't want to wake her, but she seemed cold…

. . .

Jung Woo had got up from his seat at the card table to go for a drink when he also noticed Jan Di asleep on the couch. He went for a blanket to cover her. After returning from the sleeping quarters with the red blanket off his bed, he noticed that only Jan Di and Ji Hoo were in the vicinity of the couch. Jan Di was still sleeping and now covered with a firefighter's jacket; it was clearly the chief's. As for his friend, Ji Hoo was settled back in his chair with arms folded and eyes closed. Jung Woo thinned his lips, shook his head, and took the blanket back to where it came from.

After carefully placing his jacket over Captain Geum, so as not to wake her, Ji Hoo had put his guitar down and relaxed in his chair. He, too, started to drift, but a shout, followed by boisterous laughter coming from the card table woke him. When he looked it over, he saw that Jan Di was awake now.

She stirred and looked over at him sleepily. Then she bolted upright in her seat. "Omo, did I fall asleep?" Jan Di laughed a little, hoping she didn't snore. Glancing around, she saw that Ji Hoo seemed to be the only one who had noticed this; the others were all occupied.

When she looked back at Ji Hoo, he had a smile tugging at the corner of his lips. "Yes, you did."

"Oh, I'm so sorry."

His smile was genuine. "It's okay."

When Jan Di moved, she noticed something else. Something was covering her. Looking down, she saw that it was a black firefighter's jacket with the station emblem on the left and Chief Yoon written underneath. She might've known it was his anyway; it had the same scent as the shirt she was wearing, the same scent that had surrounded her all evening…


Deciding she needed to get up and do something lest she fall asleep again, Jan Di stood with an 'aigoo.' "Well, I think I'll stretch my legs," she told Ji Hoo, and she started walking around the room. She meandered over to the table where Jung Woo and Yeong Ho were seated and in the midst of a somber two-player card game. Sung Jin and Jae Hyung were watching the game and talking amongst themselves.

Jung Woo looked up at Jan Di and smiled when she came over.

"What are you playing?" she asked.

"Poker," he replied. "Ever heard of it?"

"Yes." She nodded. And Jung Woo patted the seat next to him.

Jan Di glanced over to where Ji Hoo was and then back at Jung Woo. "You're letting me sit in?"

Jung Woo nodded. "I could even teach you to play if you want." And he looked over at his older opponent. "You don't mind, do you, Yeong Ho-ssi?"

"I dunno...got money on you, Captain Geum?" the older firefighter asked, still staring at his cards. Jung Woo shoved him but apologized after, for even though he outranked Yeong Ho, he was still his elder.

Yeong Ho sighed. "Just kidding. Sure, you can play if you want, Captain Geum. The two-player game was getting kind of boring, anyway. We don't have to play for money."

Jan Di's eyes flitted to Ji Hoo again before deciding. "Sure, I'll play." And she took the offered chair.

"Hey, Chief, you wanna play?" Yeong Ho called out.

Ji Hoo looked over. He'd seen Jan Di wander over to the card table, but he didn't want to follow her like a lost puppy. He considered for a moment before saying, "Yeah, sure." And he made his way over.

Yeong Ho also requested that Sung Jin, Jae Hyun, and Do Yun‒who had just walked into the room‒play because then it would be the perfect number. So, the 7 of them sat around the little card table.

First, Jung Woo showed Jan Di the hands in poker and what beats what. "Okay, two pairs obviously beat a pair. Then three of a kind beats two pair; a straight beats three of a kind; a flush beats a straight; a full house beats a flush; four of a kind beats a full house; a straight flush beats four of a kind, and royal flush beats a straight flush. If no one has any of those, high card wins. You got it, Jan Di?"

"Yes, I think so."

"So, Jung Woo has taught you the cards, but there's way more to poker than that," Yeong Ho interjected.

Jan Di nodded. "What else?"

"Well, first of all, don't believe anything you hear during a poker match, Jan Di." Jung Woo grinned while shuffling the cards.

"Is that right?" she asked.

He nodded. "Yeah, it's important to know that poker involves a lot of bluffing. It's almost essential for being a great player."

Jan Di quirked a brow. "Really? Bluffing?"

"Yes, hmm, how can I explain?"

It was then that Ji Hoo spoke up, "Oh, excuse me, Jae Hyun, you can't play. I'm sorry, but I forgot to tell you that I need that report from yesterday redone. I'm going to need you to do that right away."

"What? Really? Aww, Chief...was it really that bad?"

"Are you questioning me?" Ji Hoo firmly but calmly asked.

"No, sir!" Jae Hyun bolted upright, saluted, and prepared to rush off.

"Wait," Ji Hoo called, waving the younger firefighter back. "The report was fine. I can't believe you actually fell for that."

Then Ji Hoo revealed his flawless smile, and Jan Di couldn't help but smile herself.

"Ahhh," the younger guy laughed and wagged a finger. "Chief, you're so good!" He breathed out in relief as he returned to the table.

"You see, Captain Geum, Chief was just demonstrating how to bluff," Yeong Ho explained. "See how he kept a straight face?"

But he's always like that…, she thought.

"Yes, our chief is very good at bluffing, but he doesn't really have to do it because it's tough to read his face and body language."

Jan Di nodded. That part was true. Sometimes it was tough to read him, but she thought that she was getting a pretty good handle. "I see," Jan Di nodded. "And bluffing is lying, right?"

"Not completely. It's really just about not giving away your hand," Jung Woo went on to say. "For instance, if you don't think you have the best hand you can raise the bet in order to try and get at least one of your opponents to fold. Your opponents can call your bluff, too."

"Don't give her all the secrets," Yeong Ho remarked.

Jung Woo laughed. "Basically, winning at poker involves two things‒luck and bluffing."

"Ah, I think I understand…" Jan Di continued in her most innocent voice, "Chief Yoon?" she addressed him from across the table.

"Yes?" Ji Hoo looked up at her.

"You know, I really like this shirt…" She tugged at the sleeve of his t-shirt. "It's comfortable and it smells nice. Can I keep it?"

Jan Di met Ji Hoo's eyes, and for a split-second he had this deer caught in the headlights look on his face. His lips parted a bit before responding, "...Uh, sure."

Jan Di broke out into a huge grin. "Was that it? Did I do it right‒bluffing?" She looked around the table.

"Ohhhh! She got you, Chief!" Sung Jin exclaimed. The others had picked up on what she was doing and were whooping and laughing‒one nearly choked on his drink‒and Jung Woo was doing a deliberate slow-clap.

"That was a good one, Captain Geum," Yeong Ho commented.

"Chief, why would Captain Geum want to keep your shirt?" Jae Hyun asked the obvious question.

"Yeah, then poor Captain Geum would smell like the chief!" Sung Jin remarked.

In a sardonic tone, Jung Woo added, "Not to mention that shirt probably stinks."

Ji Hoo was feeling rather annoyed with their constant taunting, but he forgot all about that when he looked at Jan Di. She seemed to be ignoring the chaos around her and was instead looking at him. Her 'bluff' had been convincing, but when their eyes met, her lips curled up a bit, and she looked shyly down at her hands. She even appeared to be blushing a little. How could he feel angry with the guys when he was feeling something else entirely…? Did Captain Geum actually want to keep his shirt?

Reluctantly, Ji Hoo dragged his eyes away from Captain Geum and focused on his men. "My shirts do not stink. Let's just play cards, okay?"

"Yes, let's get on with it," Jung Woo chimed in.

"Are we playing for money?" Yeong Ho asked.

"Yes!" most of the men shouted out in response, though a couple hemmed and hawed about being broke.

The final consensus was to play for money but to keep it to a 50,000 won maximum.

. . .


Yeong Ho had gotten the first ace, so he was the dealer. He gave the cards a quick shuffle. "The game is Five Card Draw," he announced, beginning to pass cards around the table…

"They say luck is a lady, so let's see if that holds true for Captain Geum, eh boys?" The older man tossed Jan Di a wink after dealing her fifth and final card.

After both got their cards, Jung Woo turned to Jan Di in the seat next to him. "Sure you don't want to watch a round and just play with me?" Jung Woo asked of Jan Di.

"No, it's fine."

"Alright, let's begin," the dealer said.

Play passed to the left, and the game was on…

Jan Di had started with a decent hand, and she was doing quite well. Lady Luck seemed to be on her side tonight, after all. She was also trying to pay attention to how each of the firefighters played, and most of them were easy to predict. Yeong Ho reminded her of her own guy of similar age, quiet, somber, and unwilling to take major risks. The younger guys, on the other hand, tossed money around like crazy and tried to hide their hands by talking big, but it was completely obvious. Jung Woo was a risk-taker but cooler about it; although, he seemed a bit more focused on her than his cards. As for Chief Yoon, he was going to be the most challenging to beat because, as the guys had said, he didn't show his emotions much…


Twenty minutes later…

Beaten handily by Jan Di, the firefighters went out right and left. Groans were heard around the table as they did, along with whining, complaining, an aish and a dammit. One started to say 'fu…' but stopped himself, and it came out as just fff! The two covered their mouths for swearing in front of a woman.

In the end, it came down to Jan Di and Ji Hoo.

"Seems like you two can read each other well," Jung Woo observed. He watched them, and both appeared very serious. "Good luck, Jan Di," he said.

Ji Hoo glanced at Jung Woo and then to Jan Di, and she met his eyes briefly. Then they both looked back at their cards. The tension was thick in the air, and the guys were riveted.

Finally, Ji Hoo laid down three queens and two jacks, and the men oohed and ahhed. Sung Jin patted him on the back. "A full house, good hand, Chief."

Slowly, Jan Di laid down her cards and lifted her eyes to Ji Hoo…

"Well, boys, I guess our lady is lucky," Jung Woo commented, at the sight of Jan Di's four sixes.

"Oh, was that good?" Jan Di turned to Jung Woo, giving him the doe eyes.

Jung Woo smirked. "Yes, my dear. Four of a kind is one of the best hands in the game."

"Ah, beginner's luck," Yeong Ho grumbled.

"You think so?" Ji Hoo said, eyeing Jan Di suspiciously. He'd been watching her during the game, and from the way she handled the cards, he had the feeling she'd played before...

The guys decided to play another round, and Jan Di was next in line to be the dealer. Before Jung Woo could suggest shuffling for her, Jan Di grabbed the deck of cards and tapped the end on the tabletop. She started with a simple pivot cut; then she ran her fingers along the edges of the cards, squaring them up, and she gripped the deck between her thumb, middle and forefinger. She proceeded to shoot the cards from her right hand to her left in a smooth spring card flourish. Now that her secret was out, she might as well not hold back…

Every man was staring at her, a few with mouths agape.

"Ohh, I probably should have mentioned that I've played before," Jan Di said casually, shocking all but Ji Hoo, who figured it out. He nodded and smiled to himself.

Jan Di turned to Jung Woo. "Oh, and I do know what bluffing is. I learned from the best. My second in command, Hyeon-U, is a master bluffer. He also taught me the shuffling tricks."

"Wauuu, Noona can play?!" Sung Jin exclaimed. "Chief, I think she hustled us!"

Ji Hoo placed a hand on his chin. "I know."

"You knew she could play?" Jung Woo asked.

"Well, I suspected," Ji Hoo said, glancing at Jan Di. She was looking down now, though her expression suggested more self-satisfaction than sheepishness. Ji Hoo turned back to the guys. "Remember, she never actually said she didn't know how to play. Serves you guys right for assuming," and he teasingly added, "Shame on you all for being so misogynistic."

"Ouch," Yeong Ho quipped.

"Yeah, Chief, sometimes you can be so hurtful!" Sung Jin clutched at his chest dramatically. "And why do you have to use such big words?" he puzzled.

Ji Hoo gave a quiet chuckle as he scooped up the cards while the younger guy dropped his head to the table, burying his face in his arms and mourning his loss of money. "Eotteokhe?! I got bills!"

"Why did you bet so much then, babo?" Do Yun chimed in, and Sung Jin whined like a kid.

"Guys, guys," Jan Di interrupted, "let's call that a practice round. I won't take your money...this time," she raised a brow. "You know, since I was kind of hustling you a little bit."

The firefighters made a bit more fuss but moved on. For the most part, they were placated by keeping their money, but a few were still nursing their wounded pride.

Jan Di dealt the cards and they started a new game…


There Jan Di was, sitting around the fire station at 7 PM playing cards and wearing Chief Yoon's shirt‒that fit more like a dress. She hadn't expected to stay so long, nor to spend her day off this way, but it had certainly been enjoyable. Time passed in the blink of an eye, and Jan Di hoped the firefighters didn't mind her hanging out this long. They didn't seem to unless they were just being polite, but they seemed to be an honest lot. They spoke their minds freely, Chief Yoon excluded, so she assumed they would tell her if she was bothering them.

During the second game, the group talked‒always including Jan Di‒and the mood was light. Work inevitably came up, and a few commented on how odd it was that they didn't get any calls today. Not like it never happened, but it was rare, so half the group was referring to Captain Geum as some kind of charm. Then a side conversation began between Sung Jin and Do Yun about how he must be charmed, too, and Do Yun blurted out a near-fatal error Sung Jin had made in the line of duty.

"Never try to do that on your own again," Ji Hoo reminded, recalling the incident and how horrific it could have been.

"Sorry, Chief! I'm really sorry! I messed up so bad and caused everyone trouble..."

"It's okay. It's over now," Ji Hoo said.

Sung Jin nodded but hung his head low.

"Don't feel bad, Sung Jin-ah," Jan Di spoke up. "Everyone makes mistakes, and I'm sure you learned a valuable lesson from it. I'm sure you'll be more cautious and that from now on, you'll know what to do in that situation better than most."

"Jan Di Noona…," Sung-Jin uttered.

She smiled at him. "From what I've learned today, even though you goof off and pretend to be macho, I can tell that you're hardworking and that you hold yourself to very high standards.

"How did you…?" the young firefighter began.

"Wau, our Captain Jan Di is very perceptive," Jung Woo said.

Sung Jin still looked a little depressed, though, and Jan Di wanted badly to cheer him up. "You know, I like that in a guy," she said. This got both Ji Hoo and Jung Woo's attention. "The ability to admit his flaws and the desire to improve upon them. You know, if I was five or six years younger‒"

But Jan Di didn't have the chance to finish her sentence before Sung Jin's mood did a 180. "Age is just a number, Noona! Why don't we go out for a drink later?"

All but Ji Hoo and Jung Woo started laughing at him. Jung Woo's jaw had dropped slightly, and as for Ji Hoo, he was studying his cards intently. "You can't give Sung Jin that kind of opening, Captain Geum," Ji Hoo murmured, still focusing on his cards. "He'll try to seduce you." And then I'd have to beat him…

Surprised to hear such a comment from him, Jan Di's head snapped toward Ji Hoo; he slowly raised his eyes to meet hers.

"No way, Chief!" Sung Jin shouted out as he turned toward Jan Di. "Noona, I wouldn't do that! I'm not really like that! Chief was just joking, right, Chief?" And Sung Jin mumbled 'you're ruining my chances here, Chief' under his breath.

"Yeah, only joking," Ji Hoo replied, smirking a bit.

Jan Di looked down at her cards and repositioned them.

"You should really give up Sung Jin," Jung Woo chimed in, slapping the younger man on the back. "That is, unless you want to be manhandled on a daily basis."

Jan Di's mouth dropped open. "Yah, Jung Woo-ssi!" He started laughing, and Jan Di gave him a smug look and crossed her arms. "I'll have you know that I'm a very sweet, gentle person."

"Gentle? I can't even imagine that, but I'd like to see it." Jung Woo grinned at Jan Di, and she glanced away.

When she avoided his gaze, Jung Woo turned to Ji Hoo and raised a brow. "How about it, Chief?"

"How about what?" Ji Hoo didn't like this line of questioning at all, especially since it was clearly making Jan Di uncomfortable.

"Was she gentle with you...you know, when she tended your wound?" Jung Woo elaborated.

This caused another ruckus as the guys all started reminiscing about Captain Geum's first meeting with the chief…

Meanwhile, Ji Hoo considered how best to answer his friend's rather inappropriate question. He didn't want to give Jung Woo any more fuel for the fire; he was acting strange enough as it was‒one minute, he was attempting to flirt with Jan Di, and the next he was treating her like a girl in the schoolyard, pulling her pigtails and knocking her down.

"Of course she was gentle," he finally said. Jan Di watched Ji Hoo as he addressed the group. "She's a professional, after all. She knows what she's doing; she applies just the right amount of pressure, and she does so with a skilled hand. If any of you are ever injured, heaven forbid, you should be so lucky as to have someone like Captain Geum tend to you."

That quieted them all down, and a few even nodded, agreeing that Captain Geum was good at her job.

Tossing her long hair over one shoulder, Jan Di gave Ji Hoo a bright smile of thanks. He returned her smile and then directed the guys back to the card game. She appreciated this, too.


Play proceeded, and things got quiet and serious for a while…

Ji Hoo had become determined to beat Jan Di, so he had been studying her every move. In doing so, he'd learned a thing or two about her body language and the type of player she was. She had strong instincts, good luck, and a decent poker face, though he was beginning to see through that. Yes, Geum Jan Di presented a challenge, but this third round, he was confident he could win…

The previous game had come down to a showdown between Jan Di and Yeong Ho, and he won, but just barely. Jan Di accepted her loss gracefully, almost…Ji Hoo happened to catch a slight quiver to her lip, as if she was about to start pouting. It was completely uncharacteristic of the tough EMT, Geum Jan Di, yet it was the most adorable thing he'd seen in a long time. That only spurred him on…

Inevitably, the guys started talking and joking again. Do Yun made a particular joke that caused Jan Di to laugh loudly. Her laugh was euphonious, and Ji Hoo hoped to hear it much more often…

"I like you guys," Jan Di commented after the joke.

That immediately begged the question‒from Jae Hyun‒ "what do you like about us, Captain Geum?"

"Well, you are all really fun to be around, and you've been so nice to me today," she said with a smile.

That seemed to make the group happy, but Jae Hyun took it further. "Do you like anything specific about us?"

Sung Jin chimed in with, "Yeah, what do you really think of each of us?"

"Each of you? Hmm…" Jan Di thought about it for a moment.

She had been doing her best to remember the firefighters' names, and she felt like she had it down now. She knew Chief Yoon Ji Hoo, of course, and Lee Jung Woo, who was Ji Hoo's assistant chief. As for the others, she started out using mnemonic devices or some kind of nickname for them in her head, hoping she would remember to use their real names when speaking to them.

There were Jae Hyun and Sung Jin, who were fresh out of high school and nineteen and twenty-years-old, respectively. They were volunteers and basically probationary firefighters right now. For Jae Hyun, she thought to call him Hyunnie because he was the youngest, and it sounded cute, but since he loved cooking so much she added 'Chef' to it, so he became Chef Hyunnie in her mind.

Jan Di turned to Jae Hyun first, since he'd originally asked. "Well, Jae Hyun is a great cook, which is a very valuable skill. Women think it's romantic when a man makes dinner for them, so keep that in mind for your future girlfriend," she told him.

He smiled. "Noted. Thank you, Captain Geum."

Jan Di turned to the other rookie next. "Sung Jin is...well, in addition to what I already said, he's really funny. Some of his jokes are a little...y...but funny!"

Sung Jin looked shocked and even hurt by her comment. "Noona, I'm not a !" he exclaimed.

The rest of them laughed.

"Oh, don't lie. You know you are," Yeong Ho interjected.

Sung Jin sighed, and Jan Di let out a laugh. "I'm joking, Sung Jin-ah. You might be a teeny-tiny bit y," she pinched her fingers together, "but in a cute, innocent way."

The kid shrugged, smiled at her, and went back to his cards.

After Yeong Ho's comment, Jan Di decided to do him next. He was the lieutenant and reminded her of her own second, Hyeon U, so she had been trying to cross their names somehow (it was between Yeong U and Hyeon Ho). "Yeong Ho-ssi," she called him by his actual name, "is what one might call the strong, silent type, though he has a dry sense of humor that comes out on occasion. He's also very dedicated to his job." The middle-aged man nodded to her in agreement.

And she went down the line, going on to Do Yun next. He was the driver/engineer, so she'd been calling him Yun-jeonsa in her head. "...Hm, Do Yun is a decent singer, despite what you guys say. And he's witty, too." She recalled a couple of good jokes he'd made earlier. He bowed to her.

"As for Jung Woo-ssi…" The assistant chief turned to look at her. "He is very confident and good at his job. He makes a good second-in-command."

"Gomawo, Jan Di." Jung Woo smiled and briefly placed a hand on her shoulder.

When Jan Di seemed finished, Jae Hyun spoke up, "Wait, Captain Geum, what about the Chief? What do you think of him?"

Jan Di clearly hesitated. "Well…"

She hadn't intended to leave Chief Yoon out, but she wasn't sure what to say. There were so many things she liked about him that she could‒and wanted to‒tell him, but not here, not in front of the others… The most obvious thing about him were his good looks. She felt so shallow, and there were so many other things she should focus on instead… He was definitely more than looks to her, but it was hard to get past her initial‒and continuous‒attraction to him… She also liked his smile, which was even more potent than his looks. When his lips curved upward, even just a little bit, she couldn't stop her own smile from forming, and when he smiled fully at her, she had trouble keeping her head.

Jan Di didn't have a nickname for Ji Hoo yet‒nothing that popped into her head sounded remotely good. Yoon Ji Hoo was simply Chief Yoon to her, even though he had tried on more than one occasion to get her to call him by his name. The best she'd been able to muster was a 'Ji Hoo-ssi,' and she'd struggled with even calling him that. She wasn't sure why. As far as nicknames go, she didn't really need one…because she wasn't planning to forget him anytime soon…

"Well, what, Jan Di Noona?" Sung Jin asked, his interest piqued by her lack of response.

Jan Di found her words again. "Well, he's a great leader." Yes, that was true, and it was a safe answer. "He...knows when to be firm and when to sit back and let you guys be yourselves…," she went on, unknowingly smiling as she did, "...He keeps all of you safe and in line with a calm demeanor."

A resounding 'Ohhhh!' came from the group. The guys had reacted strongly to her thoughts on Chief Yoon, probably because of the part about 'keeping them in line.'

Jan Di looked at Ji Hoo, and he had the hint of a smile on his face. Their eyes met briefly, and he gave her a little nod before going back to his cards.

But just when she'd thought the conversation was over, Sung Jin took it a step further. "So, Noona, if you had to choose, which one of us would you date?"

. . .

Jan Di's eyes went wide. What a question! She blinked a few times. "Umm," and then she awkwardly laughed.

"Sung Jin," Ji Hoo chastised the younger man with a single word, but Jan Di assured him it was okay. However, she noticed that six pairs of eyes were on her now; they all seemed very curious to know the answer, particularly Jung Woo. As for Ji Hoo, he was casual like always, but she could tell he had some interest, too.

"Well…" Jan Di thought about how best to answer without giving anything away or insulting anyone. "I don't normally date guys that I work closely with."

That seemed like a safe answer. Just then, she noticed a change in Chief Yoon's eyes. Was he disappointed?

"But if you had to pick, Noona," Sung Jin insisted. "Maybe we are the last guys on earth."

Jan Di laughed. "Well, that would be tough…" She tapped her chin. "I mean, how could I possibly choose between such brave, handsome firefighters?"

This seemed to appease the group for the time being, and the subject was changed.

. . .

The game was winding down, and Sung Jin was feeling especially confident. "I've got you right where I want you, Noona…you're dead meat this time!" He grinned from ear-to ear.

"Oh yeah?" We'll just see about that… Jan Di casually fanned her cards. She wasn't so worried about Sung Jin because she could tell he was bluffing, and the others had already folded...all but Chief Yoon.

Ji Hoo's turn came; he raised, discarded, and took two cards. Next was Sung Jin's turn. He started fanning himself as he looked between his cards and the number of chips at stake, and with a strangled cry, he gave up. Yeong Ho chuckled over Sung Jin's 'famous last words' as the kid went down.

Jan Di's turn came, and she paused.

"In or out, Noona?" Sung Jin asked‒he was dealer this round.

Ji Hoo looked over at her, too, but Jan Di was doing her best not to look at him...it was dangerous to because he was clearly studying her every move. Chief Yoon was the one at the table who was the most challenging for her to beat because he somehow always knew what her hand was like. How was he doing this? It was like he could read her mind!

"In," she said, staring into Ji Hoo's dark eyes the entire time while sliding her pile of chips forward and upping the bet.

Jae Hyun commented on how hot it was in here, and Do Yun (the frugal one) started listing all the things he could buy with that amount of money.

The room had gotten hotter, as Jae Hyun had suggested. Jan Di could even feel her palms sweating. She just needed one card, but the stakes were very high right now, and she'd already lost one round, not a lot of money, but it was still a hit.

"Noona, how many?"

"One," she said. Ember pawed at her leg and whimpered as if she didn't approve of such recklessness, but Jan Di ignored her canine companion. She discarded and took the card dealt, sliding it over into her deck.

Yes! She mentally squealed when she got the card she wanted, but she tried to tone down her reaction, a lot; in fact, she was probably overcompensating. Now, the question was: Did she have Chief Yoon's hand beat? She thought she did, but she couldn't quite tell. He was being more elusive than usual. She chewed on her lip in contemplation…

. . .

Meanwhile, Ji Hoo studied his cards. His hand was very good, and it would surely be hard to beat. Briefly, he fought the temptation to let her win because he enjoyed seeing the smile on her face so much when she did, but he knew she would never forgive him for such a thing, so he planned to give it his all…

Ji Hoo fanned out his cards and glanced across the table at his pretty opponent. She was studying her own hand deliberately while chewing on her lip...that was new. He hadn't seen her do that before, and the image hit him hard, very hard, and his breath hitched.


Suddenly, it was just the two of them in the room‒him and her‒with only a card table separating them…

"Where did everyone go?" Ji Hoo wondered aloud. He glanced around the room before looking back at Jan Di. She didn't answer his question, only said, "I'm a bit tired of playing cards," and raised her arms over her head in a stretch. He did his best not to focus on how appealing that image was…

Keeping his cool, he asked, "Oh, okay. Then do you want to…?"

Jan Di dropped her cards on the table and stood up. Out of politeness, he started to stand, too, but she held her hand out, stopping him. "I need to tell you something," she said.

"Go ahead."

"Well, this isn't easy for me, so I'm just going to say it...I like you," she rushed the words out of like an unwanted houseguest.

"Jan Di-ah…"

She stared at him.

"I like you, too."

Jan Di's lips curled up into a little smile; she placed her hands on the edge of the table and leaned forward a bit. "So…?"

He took a deep breath. "So…"

Before Ji Hoo knew what was happening, she had climbed up onto the card table and was on her hands and knees, staring him down from a few feet away. His eyes widened for a moment, but he grew captivated as she crawled across the table toward him, and he settled back in his seat to watch. It was a small table, so it didn't take long for her to reach him, and when she did, she sat back on her heels. Even after that, she still got shy, her eyes flitting from side to side before focusing on him again.

He sat up straight and leaned forward, bracing the table with both hands. She was on her knees again, leaning over him with a look that made him want to take her in his arms and kiss her senseless. Why was he waiting? He didn't plan to for long, but he wanted to prolong this moment. Tilting his chin, he stared up into her dark chocolate eyes. His eyes gravitated from her eyes to her lips and up and down, taking her in entirely. She was so amazing…

Jan Di's hands rested on his shoulders, and one slid up his neck and into his hair. Gripping the back of his head, she slowly leaned in. He needed no further convincing, and their lips crashed in the middle in a kiss that felt like years in the making, though they hadn't known each other long. She kissed him back with full force, and both hands fell to his shoulders.

As he moved his lips over hers with everything that had been building inside of him since the day they met, his hands found her waist, and he caressed her sides. Wrapping one arm around her and pressing the other against the table, he lowered her back while she clung to his shoulders.

Their lips never parted, and she brought one knee up as he lay her back on the flat surface in front of them. Positioned between her legs, he leaned over her; he ran a hand along her thigh and gave her hip a squeeze. His lips left hers‒just for a moment‒in order to stare down at the sight before him… And then he captured her lips again…


"Chief, Chief, Chief….," Sung Jin had been calling Ji Hoo's name for nearly ten seconds, and he'd been spaced out for about twenty.

"Wh-what?" Ji Hoo finally stammered.

"It's your turn," the younger man reminded him.

Reluctantly, Ji Hoo returned to his senses with a shaky breath and a tug at his collar. He was stunned by the y daydream and was doing his best to shrug it off, but the image was still vivid in his mind… And it didn't help that the very object of his fantasy was now staring straight at him with a curious expression on her face. He avoided her glance and placed a hand to his forehead, shutting his eyes, but that only made it worse.

He'd thought he was better than this, but apparently, Geum Jan Di had cast her little spell…

"Ji Hoo," Jung Woo spoke up. "Are you alright?"

"What? Oh, yes." Ji Hoo exhaled.

"Are you...going to bet anything?" Jung Woo asked.

"Oh, yeah, I uh, see you, and I raise you." He stacked the chips in the middle while trying to keep the mental images and his subsequent bodily reaction at bay.

Jan Di didn't know what had distracted Chief Yoon, but when he finally drew a card, he got this tiny wrinkle above his nose…and then she knew for sure. Aha! I got you, Yoon Ji Hoo!

He lay down his cards and asked, "What do you have?"

Jan Di's eyes crinkled up, her lips curving into a smile as she revealed her hand. "Read em' and weep!" she used the phrase she'd heard in American movies.

Ji Hoo lowered his head, smiled, and looked back up at her. "Congratulations."

Jan Di squealed and threw her arms up in the air. The action was entirely too familiar to how it‒what had just transpired in his mind‒had begun.

Ji Hoo allowed Jan Di a few minutes of revelry with the guys before suggesting they call it a night.

"Oh, yeah, I should really go," Jan Di said. And she bowed to him.

"I didn't mean you had to leave, just as far as the card playing goes."

"Oh, well, it is getting late, though."

Jan Di stood and said her goodbyes to the guys and to Ember, who she hated to leave. The firefighters responded with goodbyes, requests for rematches, and a couple commented that next time they should stick to Hearts or Godori.

Jan Di laughed and said those were fun, too, as she headed toward the door.

"I'll walk you out," Ji Hoo said, ignoring the look of annoyance on Jung Woo's face.

"Thanks."


Jan Di gathered up her shirt‒that she'd refused to let Ji Hoo wash for her‒and Ji Hoo walked her out through the apparatus bay. It was dark, but the lights over the station illuminated the driveway leading to the street. Jan Di still couldn't believe she'd stayed so long, but she'd been having such a good time that it was hard to leave. As the two stood outside next to the shiny, freshly-washed fire truck, she was still finding it hard to go. Geum Jan Di, get it together!

"...Today was fun," she said, making conversation to prolong her stay a bit longer.

"Yeah, it was." He stuck his hands in his pockets. "Hey, I'm sorry about the guys. I think they're rather taken with you." Yes, Jan Di was like the shiny, new toy at the station. "They're not used to having women around the station, so they weren't sure how to act, but they didn't mean any harm."

Jan Di smiled. "I didn't think they did, and I'm used to that, anyway. I work with a bunch of guys, too. I didn't think anything bad, really, and they were actually very nice to me."

Ji Hoo nodded. "Still, they should have better manners."

"Don't worry about it...Ji Hoo-ssi," she ventured to use his name. "I hope I wasn't a bother tonight."

"Of course not."

She smiled again and made a move to leave, but Ji Hoo spoke up. "I'd like to call you later tonight, but I don't know if I'll be able to."

"That's okay," she said, spinning back around.

"And you must want to go to sleep."

"Yes, I'm a little tired, but I'll be up for a bit if you..."

Knowing what she meant, he nodded. "You're going to the training this weekend, right?"

"Yes, my guys and I are taking the first train from Cheongnyangni Station on Thursday."

"Us, too."

Jan Di nodded. "Well, I guess I'll be seeing you..."

"It's inevitable." Ji Hoo smiled a bit and took a step closer; she wondered if he was going to try to kiss her. Instantly, she realized she hoped he would. But Chief Yoon didn't make a move, only lingered where he was.

Even his proximity was causing her to react. It was fresh, exciting, and strange; she felt like a teenager all over again. "Oh! I'll...um...return your shirt as soon as I wash it!" she blurted out in hopes of easing the tension.

Ji Hoo chuckled. "There's no rush," and then he paused. "In fact, you could keep it if you want...that is unless you really were bluffing..."

"What do you think?" she smirked at him.

"The guys seemed to think so."

"What about you...?" Shamelessly flirting, Geum Jan Di! Come on, what's the matter with you?!

"Well...I don't know…" His hands still in his pockets, he shuffled back and forth like a little boy. It was adorable. Then he leaned in closer, and Jan Di instinctively shrunk back. "But I'm calling your bluff, Geum Jan Di," he whispered. He gave her that smile that simultaneously made her knees go weak and made her want to grab him and kiss him.

Cool it! she viciously berated herself.

"So, tell me, Geum Jan Di, do you really want to keep my shirt?"

Jan Di pressed her lips together and said, "Sorry, I'll never tell!"

Ji Hoo shook his head, grinning. "Fair enough. I'll leave it up to you then."

There was a moment of silence, and Jan Di wondered how she should leave things. A hug didn't seem appropriate, even though she thought they were becoming friends; a bow was too formal, and a handshake would just be weird. Maybe a wave and a smile…

Honestly, she didn't know where she stood with Chief Yoon. He acted like he liked her, and he'd even mentioned going to dinner before, but he hadn't said anything since. Maybe he'd changed his mind? Granted, she had told him she would check her schedule, so maybe he was waiting for her to bring it up… Aish, I can't do these things! She was panicking a bit.

Finally, Jan Di whipped out a smile. "Thank you for everything, Chief Yoon! I hope we can be chingus!"

Chungus? Jan Di inwardly groaned. What in the world are you doing, Geum Jan Di?

"Chingus?" he asked with a curious head tilt.

"Yes," she said, glancing away in humiliation. She was still reeling over her stupidity.

Ji Hoo put on an amused smile. "But aren't I really an oppa to you?" he teased.

"Aish, I can't call you that!"

Ji Hoo chuckled. "Alright, chingus it is… Oh, and I promise to take care of your dog."

She smiled. "Well, Ember is your dog now."

"Actually, she's our dog."

"Our dog?" Did he mean the station's dog or hers and his?

Jan Di noticed a light pink tint forming on Ji Hoo's cheeks; she'd never seen him do that before. He hurriedly began explaining himself. "What I mean is, you rescued her and brought her here, so she's yours and now mine, as well as everyone's at the station."

Jan Di glanced down, giving her bottom lip a chew. "Yes, you're right." She looked up at him again, and a playful smile crossed her lips. "Since you're in charge, I guess that makes you Ember's Appa. I hope you're up for the responsibility."

"Appa, huh?" Ji Hoo laughed. "Does that make you Eomma?"

Jan Di blushed but kept her cool. She placed her hands on her hips. "Yes, and I'm really going to miss her, so I expect full visitation rights." She gave the chief a little poke in the chest with her index finger.

Ji Hoo smiled warmly. "I wouldn't even try to deny you. Come as often as you'd like."

"Really? I won't be a bother?"

He gave her another sweet smile and said "never," and Jan Di thought she might liquify. Then he reached out and placed a hand upon her shoulder. "Jan Di...?"

"Mm?"

His fingers seemed to move of their own volition, and he began softly running his hand along her shoulder. Her eyes drifted from the hand he had on her to his eyes. "Jan Di, there's something I've been meaning to…"

Just then, Ember came running out of the apparatus bay, barking and interrupting them.

"Sorry, Chief! I tried to stop her!" Jae Hyun called from the bay.

"It's okay," Ji Hoo called back, and he waved Jae Hyun back inside. Meanwhile, Ember sat before the two of them and barked a greeting. She began pawing at Jan Di's leg for attention.

"Well, it looks like your child is not ready to see Eomma go yet," Ji Hoo joked.

Jan Di laughed and bent at the knees, lowering herself to Ember's level. Ruffling the fur on Ember's head, she said, "Don't worry, we are going to take good care of you. We're going to feed you and bathe you and play with you and take you for walks… Eomma," she grinned up at Ji Hoo, "may not always be around, but she will definitely come to see you a lot." Ember barked and put her paws up on Jan Di's knees, and she started her face. Pulling away a bit, Jan Di giggled. Ember finally stopped , and Jan Di pet her. "While Eomma is away, Appa and his friends will take care of you, so don't worry."

Ji Hoo looked down at Jan Di and the dog. "That's right, Ember."

With a smile, Jan Di held out her hand. Right away, Ember put her paw in it, and she shook. "You know what…," Jan Di mused as she looked into Ember's big brown eyes. "I think that you got your appa's eyes." She looked up at the fire chief to verify.

"What?" Ji Hoo gave a short laugh in response to her weird comment. Geum Jan Di was certainly unique, and yes, a bit strange, but cute, nonetheless.

"Hmm, but I can't tell for sure…," Jan Di murmured, staring up at him.

Ji Hoo got down on a knee beside her. He began absentmindedly Ember's back, all the while looking into Jan Di's eyes. "Can you tell now?" he asked, leaning a bit closer.

Without backing away, Jan Di stared into his rich, brown eyes, and she felt her heart speed up.

"What are you thinking?" he softly asked.

Her chest rose and fell softly. "I'm thinking…" What am I thinking? She couldn't tell anymore. It was just a jumble right now, too difficult to pinpoint a single thought. "...I'm thinking…," she repeated those two words with some effort because his face was a bit closer now, "...that…" Her gaze shifted between his eyes and his full lips as she tried to push away even more thoughts that were drifting in...

"What? You can tell me," he whispered. Ji Hoo's hand slowed; he stopped petting Ember and rested his hand on his knee.

With a shy smile, Jan Di said, "...I was thinking that they are similar, your eyes. You...both have...pretty eyes."

Ji Hoo smiled.

"...they are similar, except that...hers are a very dark chocolate color and yours…" She studied them. It wasn't the first time she had, but this was the closest look she'd gotten. "...yours have some flecks of caramel color in them when the light hits them a certain way...and they sparkle a bit...but right now, it's dark, so they are a lot like Ember's..."

"That's very observant of you." He leaned in even closer. "But you do know that I'm not actually the dog's father, right, Geum Jan Di?" He teased, but in that low voice that made her legs weaken.

"I-I know," she laughed it off. Was he even closer still? She could feel his breath moving some strands of hair on her forehead, but as for her, she could barely breathe at all.

Is he going to kiss me? She wondered for the second time tonight. She felt her body begin to shiver all over.

There were a dozen reasons why she shouldn't kiss him or get involved with him in a romantic way, but right now, she didn't care about any of them. Her eyelashes gave in and began to flutter. Even Ember backed away from the pair who were now encroaching upon her personal space.

And as his lips came closer to hers, time stood still…

. . .

"Yoh, Chief!" Jae Hyun called out from the bay.

Jan Di and Ji Hoo bolted upright.

"Oh...Captain Geum, you're still here," Jae Hyun mumbled, and after assessing the situation, he knew he'd interrupted something. "Uh, sorry, it can wait, actually."

"It's okay, I was just leaving, Jae Hyun!" She turned to Ji Hoo but didn't make full eye contact. "Um, thank you for taking in the dog, bye!"

Jan Di turned away from him and started rushing off as fast as she could. She had that tingling sensation in her legs, though. Maybe she's stood up too quickly… Ah, who was she kidding? That wasn't it. She patted her face with both hands, hoping to regain her senses. How the heck did he always leave her feeling so flustered?

Before she got far, Jan Di remembered something, and with a sigh, she spun back around. "Oh, I forgot to tell you," she called out the chief, "I made an appointment with a veterinarian to get Ember checked out, you know, to see if she needs shots or anything."

"That was a good idea," Ji Hoo said. He turned his head and called out to Jae Hyun. "I'll be in in a minute," and waved him back inside. Then he approached Jan Di.

"The appointment is tomorrow morning at 8. Is it okay if I stop by around 7:15 to pick her up?" she asked.

Ji Hoo nodded, and he walked over and stood in front of her. "I'd like to take you home."

"There's no need. You should stay here."

"I'm technically off duty now."

"Oh." She fidgeted with the untucked portion of his shirt. "But Jae Hyun was looking for you...and the guys need you. Who knows what kind of mischief they'll get into without you!"

Ji Hoo smiled. "Good point. Well, go home safely."

"I will."

Suddenly, Ji Hoo leaned forward and pecked her on the cheek. "Goodnight, chingu." And he turned and walked away, beckoning Ember to follow. The dog looked up at a frozen Jan Di, barked, and then followed her new male master.

. . .

"Y-you...you, too," she shouted at Ji Hoo's retreating form.

Jan Di walked away slowly, touching her cheek where he'd kissed it. The skin felt warm and tingly. After a couple of steps, she turned around, wondering if he would look back. And he did.

Ji Hoo had stopped just outside the bay and was looking back at her. He threw up a static wave. She did the same and turned away again. Once her back was turned, she broke out in a huge grin.


As Ji Hoo entered the station, Jae Hyun caught up to him. He felt rather bad. It was obvious he'd come at the worst possible time and spoiled some kind of moment between the chief and Captain Geum. The chief must be angry with him now… "I'm so sorry Chief!" he blurted out. "I didn't see her."

Ji Hoo smiled and patted him on the back. "It's okay, we were just talking"

Jae Hyun nodded. Clearly, it was more than that and something was going on between them, but he didn't think he should bring it up. Being one of the new guys, he still felt uncomfortable teasing his superior or asking him personal questions. He wasn't like Sung Jin and the others in that regard. Besides, the chief seemed so much happier now than he'd ever seen him in the short time he'd worked here, so he was really happy for him.

"So, did you need something?" Ji Hoo asked the young guy, stirring him from his thoughts.

"Just a signature from you."


With Ember at his heels, Ji Hoo walked into the day room‒into a veritable lion's den. The guys were still riled up over the whole evening, and it didn't help that he'd spent an extra ten minutes alone outside with Captain Geum. Jung Woo was the only one missing. Ji Hoo briefly wondered where he'd gone and then found his usual spot, and Ember curled up at his feet. They were immediately surrounded by the guys.

"So, did anything happen out there?" Do Yun teased.

"No, and I wouldn't say so if it did," Ji Hoo replied.

Sung Jin started clapping. "Well, Chief, bravo. Nicely played."

"What are you talking about?" Ji Hoo demanded.

"Taking in her dog…?" Yeong Ho answered.

"Yeah, you must've earned MAJOR points for that one," Sung Jin said.

Ji Hoo sighed as the guys continued to taunt him with things like 'Wow, Chief, who knew you were such a Casanova?' and 'You'll have her eating out of the palm of your hand in no time!'

Sung Jin finished with, "I bow down to the master." He gave an overly exaggerated bow and waved his arms up and down as if worshipping him.

Ji Hoo shook his head; he was just thankful Jung Woo wasn't in the room for this conversation. "I know what you all must think, but I didn't do that to get her."

"Then...why?" Sung Jin seemed oblivious as to what other reason he could possibly have.

"I don't know…" Ji Hoo blew the bangs out of his face. "I guess because…" He thought about it for a moment while leaning down to Ember's head. Why did I do it? He'd like to think it was just out of the kindness of his heart, but the guys were probably closer to the mark… It wasn't something so sleazy as to get into her pants like they were suggesting, but…

"I guess I suggested it to be helpful, and it made her so happy that I couldn't say no…" Without realizing it, Ji Hoo was smiling at the reminder of the excitement in her voice when he agreed.

"Wauuuu! You did it to make her happy?! Really, Chief?" Do Yun exclaimed. Jae Hyun just smiled from the sidelines.

"Wau, the chief is in love!" Sung Jin exclaimed.

"Stop it," Ji Hoo commanded. "I'm not in love. She's just...a nice woman. I was trying to help her out."

"Yeah, sure, sure. You're a better man than me, Chief," Yeong Ho commented.

"Who knew the Chief was such a great humanitarian?!" Sung Jin teased. "Do you also rescue dolphins on the weekends?"

Ji Hoo gave the kid an intimidating look, and he hid behind his friend, Jae Hyun.

With a sigh, Ji Hoo rose from his chair. "All right, I have work to do. Why don't all of you go and make yourselves useful for a change?" That sent most of them scattering. "And because of your smart mouth, Sung Jin, you get to do inventory on the gear." Ji Hoo followed up with a wicked grin.

Sung Jin started to whine about being assigned the most boring of all the tasks, but he quickly shut up, not wanting to make it worse. "Yes, Chief!" He rushed off to get to work, as did the others.


Moments later, Ji Hoo sat in his office doing paperwork. He tried to remain focused, but his mind kept drifting to the events of today, particularly just now, outside... He couldn't stop thinking about the way Jan Di looked into his eyes and the feel of her cheek against his lips. He was this close to kissing her lips. And then there was that daydream…

But something was still weighing heavily on his mind, or rather someone‒Jung Woo.

Even though Jung Woo and Jan Di weren't dating, and she'd never really shown much interest in his friend (from what he could tell) he was still feeling guilty for kissing her on the cheek. He didn't even know what had possessed him to do it. It was like she brought out a side of him that he didn't think existed…

By some strange force or coincidence, Jung Woo came knocking at his office door, and Ji Hoo welcomed him in. "Chief, I'm heading to bed if there isn't anything you need," was all he said.

"No, thank you. Goodnight."

Jung Woo started to leave, but Ji Hoo stopped him. "Jung Woo-ah." His friend turned around.

"There's something I need to say," Ji Hoo began. Jung Woo sighed in resignation and shoved his hands into his pockets as if he already knew. Ji Hoo took a deep breath before continuing, "I told you to go after Geum Jan Di and that I wasn't interested in her, but...I didn't know her then. Even back then, it was hard for me to say…I..."

Jung Woo exhaled and nodded his head. "Yeah, I know." Ji Hoo looked at him. "You like her a lot, right? I can tell, and I can also tell that she likes you. It's so damn obvious that it's sickening, really."

Ji Hoo felt like , as if he'd stolen the girl his friend liked right out from under his nose. But he hadn't meant to. His feelings for Jan Di had come like an unstoppable force, and he had no choice but to go with it. "Jung Woo-ah, I don't have to do anything...nothing has to happen..."

Jung Woo waved a hand, making Ji Hoo stop talking. I appreciate that. You're an honorable man and a good friend, Ji Hoo, but, no offense, you're also a fool."

Ji Hoo seemed surprised, so Jung Woo went on to explain. "If it were me in your place, and a beautiful girl looked at me and smiled at me that way, I'd go for it. You better believe it." He smirked over at his friend. "So, go for it. It's not like she and I are dating…"

He turned to leave but stopped. "One more thing…" And he turned around again. "I'm not as good as you."

Ji Hoo's lips parted. "What?"

Jung Woo sighed. "You know I'm not a man who gives up easily, and I need to be true to who I am. I like her, too, and I have just as much right to pursue her as you do. So, you can go after her or not; I won't hold that against you, but I'm going to try, too. That's just the person I am." And with that, he left the office.

Once Jung Woo was gone, Ji Hoo placed a hand to his head and rubbed his temple. He honestly wasn't sure what to do. He didn't want to give up the chance to be with Jan Di, but he didn't want to be at odds with one of his closest friends, either.

The whole thing was ridiculous, actually. This wasn't a friendly sports match; they weren't 8 years old, and Jan Di wasn't some toy or video game controller to fight over. They were adults, and they shouldn't be competing over a girl. Ji Hoo could hardly believe the words that had come out of Jung Woo's mouth. Yes, he knew his friend was a driven person, but never had they been in such a situation as this…

Maybe it was best that Jan Di and he remain as they were, whatever they were‒two people who worked together and occasionally talked or saw each other outside of work. At the very least, he knew they could be great friends; although, it might be tough to remain friends if he got any closer to her. In his head, Ji Hoo imagined them being great together as a couple. It would be incredible. Not only did they have the chemistry, the strong attraction that was so hard to find, but they connected on a deeper level‒they could talk and laugh and understand one another.

That was even harder to find...and was certainly a rare thing for Ji Hoo. In fact, he wasn't quite sure he'd ever had this before. Somehow, he felt like Geum Jan Di could see him as he truly was and that she would understand the dark, desolate side of him that he had hidden away from the rest of the world. Perhaps she could even fill the void that had existed within him for so long, the one no one else could. But that was ridiculous. He barely knew her, and she knew nothing about him.

Maybe Jan Di and Ji Hoo wasn't in the cards…

Damn it, Ji Hoo leaned back in his chair and ran a hand through his hair. The truth of the matter was that he didn't want to just be friends with her.

To hell with the cards! He pounded his fist on his desk and reached for his phone.


Jan Di readied for bed as soon as she got home. In her room, she took off Chief Yoon's shirt and held it up to look at. And then she smelled it. She just couldn't help herself. Aish, Jan Di, you stupid girl! She groaned and took the shirt to her hamper; she hung it over the edge rather than dropping it in. While she dressed in her pajamas, she found herself thinking about that kiss and wondering if he would call…

Don't be silly, Geum Jan Di. He told you he'd be busy, and you just spent the entire day with him!

She sighed, thinking of how pitiful she was. This couldn't be happening to her, not again, not so soon… She tried telling herself she was feeling so light and elated because she'd had a nice, relaxing day off for a change.

When her phone rang, Jan Di jumped and rushed into the living room. She picked it up from the coffee table and saw that it was Ji Hoo.

He called…he really called… She thought she would melt right there. He called! Composing herself, she picked up the phone and greeted him.

He greeted back. "I'm sorry to call so late, but I just wanted to be sure you got home safely."

Jan Di smiled widely. "I did."

"Good."

"Are you still at the station?"

"Yes, I'm sleeping here tonight."

Jan Di nodded on her end.

"I think Ember misses you," he said.

"I miss her, too."

"Don't worry. I won't let her be lonely."

Jan Di smiled. "Thanks." She paused for a moment. "Hey, wasn't there something you want to tell me before we were interrupted?"

"Oh, yeah." Ji Hoo grew quiet. He'd wanted to say a few things, actually. He wanted to ask her out again, but he needed to know what was up with Jung Woo, and he also needed to confess that he was her blind date. It was a lot to unload. Maybe he could find a time to tell her about the blind date in person. With a sigh, he started with, "Did you check your schedule?"

She knew exactly what he meant by that. "I did."

"And?"

"This weekend is booked because of the training, but next weekend looks completely clear."

"Good to know," he said.

. . .

And then Jan Di decided to take a risk. "Hey, I wanted to tell you something, too, since we're friends now…"

"Oh yeah?"

"I wanted to tell you…" She shut her eyes tight and decided to just go for it. She opened her eyes again. "...that I like this guy."

"Oh?"

"Yeah."

"What's he like? Since I'm your friend I can ask, right?" Ji Hoo's lips twitched.

"Yeah, I guess so." She paused for a moment and smiled. "...Well, he's…kinda quiet but caring. He's brave and hard-working…"

Ji Hoo scooted forward in his chair, leaning his elbows against his desk. "What does he do?"

"Hm, let's just say...he's in a service profession, similar to mine. It's a very hectic and dangerous job, so I...worry about him sometimes…"

Ji Hoo smiled. "Well, I'm sure he takes precautions."

"I hope so…"

Suddenly, Ji Hoo felt rather feisty. "Do you like anything else about this guy? Is he attractive?"

Jan Di laughed a little. "Hmm, well...yeah, sure, he's attractive."

"Geum Jan Di, that was not very convincing. Do you really like this guy?"

"Yah, someone is getting really nosy! What do you want me to say, that he's...hot or something?" Squeezing her eyes shut, Jan Di let out a fairly audible groan.

Ji Hoo grinned but said nothing.

His silence was enough to wear her down. "Okay, fine, if you must know, he's attractive…" She took a deep breath. "...so attractive, in fact, that I wonder why he would even look at a plain girl like me twice…"

Ji Hoo was momentarily stunned. "...I have the feeling he's looked at you many, many times. And I'm also fairly certain that each time...he found you more beautiful than the last."

Jan Di's heart did a somersault.

"And you?" she ventured further.

"Me?"

"Well, I told you about the guy I like. Is there...someone you like, too?"

"How did you know? Am I so transparent?" he spoke in that soft, sensual tone.

The corners of Jan Di's lips twitched, and she spoke honestly. "Sometimes you are, and sometimes you're not… Sometimes, I feel like I've known you for years, and other times you're a total mystery. So, maybe, just this once...I'm hoping you won't make me figure it out."

Ji Hoo smiled affectionately on his end. "Of course I'll tell you about her, but I think you know her pretty well…"

Jan Di fell back against her bed and twirled a piece of her hair as she listened.

"Well, I haven't known her long, but somehow, it seems like forever. She's very hard-working, strong, and unyielding. She's also in a difficult service profession. ...She makes me smile and laugh better than anyone. Whenever I see her, I feel like smiling, and I can't stop it. She fascinates me, and I find myself wanting to know more about her…"

Jan Di didn't feel quite in solid form right now. She grabbed her pillow and hugged it tightly.

Ji Hoo continued, "As far as her looks go…"

And Jan Di cringed. She knew she wasn't the best-looking woman in the world, especially to a man who'd dated a model…

. . .

"Let's just say that the first time I saw her...I couldn't tear my eyes away."

. . .

That was it; she was done for. She had to hold the phone away while she let out a little squeal into her pillow.

"Geum Jan Di?" he was saying her name when she finally brought the phone back to her ear.

"Oh, sorry about that...I...had to check something." She rolled her eyes at herself.

"Geum Jan Di," he started again.

"Yes?"

"I feel like a horrible friend, though."

"Why?"

"Jung Woo," was all he said.

"Oh."

"I know he asked you out...and I know this is terribly forward of me, but he's my friend, so I need to ask...what do you plan to do about him?"

Jan Di thought for a moment. The Jung Woo invite had temporarily slipped her mind, and she did feel bad about that. "I'm...going to tell him that I can't go out with him."

"Oh, okay." Ji Hoo was pleased but felt awful for that. "Do you know what you'll say to him?"

"I think so… Don't worry, I'll let him down easy."

"Thank you."

The conversation then gravitated to other topics, such as the book and the upcoming training, and they ended the call about an hour later.

Jan Di went to bed feeling practically giddy. But her feelings‒yes, certainly feelings‒for Chief Yoon were growing stronger, and that scared her to death. Hadn't she learned her lesson before about getting attached? And this was a dangerous place to be, this gooey, mushy, can't-get-enough-of-him phase…

But it was such a seductive phase...it felt so good, so right, and it made her waive all logic, judgment, and self-control. Yes, very, very dangerous. She wanted to be with him so bad, but she didn't know if she could do it again. She couldn't possibly go through what she did before. It was better to be alone forever than experience that again…


A/N: So, the hanging out at the station went pretty long, but I was just having so much fun with those guys and Jan Di and their banter. Plus, I wanted to develop the characters and JanHoo's relationship. The flirting and chemistry were intense, huh? Hope it was entertaining and not too boring. Btw, I love my firefighters! I'll be developing the EMTs more, too, later on. Regarding Ji Hoo's little daydream, I know that was really mean of me...sorry! Oh, and I don't know much about poker, but I did my best to research it. Even though I didn't put a lot of details in about the game, I hope I didn't mess anything up.

Teaser: Much more to come...misunderstandings, jealousy, competition, reflection, drama, and danger… Keep reading because things are about to 'heat up' literally and figuratively in the next few chapters. Stay tuned for the aptly named (I promise) 'Heat' arc!

Teaser 2: LOOK AWAY NOW IF YOU DON'T LIKE SPOILERS (or if you'll be too tempted to ask me questions that I can't/won't answer, haha. I don't care if you guess but don't ask for big spoilers, lol)!

(Next Chapter)

As the three of them waited for seats to open up at the bar, a group dressed in navy blue uniforms made their way over from the lobby. Standing beside Ji Hoo, Jung Woo noticed them first. Jan Di had been having a conversation with Ji Hoo, so she was facing him with her back turned to the group that had just entered the room.

"Oh good, the police force is here," Jung Woo muttered sarcastically, and Ji Hoo looked over.

The officers walked in, and one took a couple steps forward, facing Jan Di, Ji Hoo, and Jung Woo. "Hey you!" he called out.

"Is he talking to us?!" Jung Woo demanded. There was an edge to his tone as if he was feeling challenged. He wasn't a fan of the police, due to some previous run-ins; he tended to think they only got in the way.

"Hey you!" the officer shouted again. His hair was dyed an auburn color; he was medium height, average build, and he looked slightly younger than them, maybe 25/26. However, the insignia on his arm indicated a higher rank.

The two firefighters watched Jan Di tense up, and upon realizing she was the one being spoken to, she snapped her head in the direction of the voice.

Hands on hips and unsmiling, the police officer said in a macho tone, "Yeah, you. Wanna have a drink...Baby?" The guy cocked a brow at the last word.

Ji Hoo's brow wrinkled up.

"Who does this guy think he is?" And Jung Woo studied Jan Di. "He's dead...," Jung Woo commented upon seeing the look on her face. He thought to go over himself to set the guy straight, but it would be much more entertaining to watch Jan Di tell the cop off, or perhaps even beat him down. Just so long as she didn't get arrested…

Jan Di turned her body to fully face the policeman. And then...she took off running at him…

When Jan Di got close, she threw her arms out and crashed into the police officer's arms, practically tackling him to the ground. The officer managed to catch her and remain upright as she collided with him, and he welcomed her into his arms. But not only that, he picked her up and spun around. Both of them were smiling happily.

"What the…?" Jung Woo muttered. And he turned to Ji Hoo, who was just staring at the image in front of him.

"Well, I guess they know one another," Jung Woo commented.

"Yeah…"


So, who's the mystery man? Go on, take a guess. Kind of an evil spoiler, I know. I'll update as soon as I can.