One

Ashes of Life

This is it. Mommy and Daddy, please wait for me. We’ll reunite soon.

 

Everything is in flames. The beautiful plaster ceilings are collapsing. The book shelves too. Fallen planks have blocked the entrance of my room. Oh no…Mom and Dad’s beloved cuckoo clock….

 

April is crouching in the corner of her room. Her knuckles turned white after clutching her family portrait and the cuckoo clock. She knew she couldn’t make it to escape as no one will ever hear her silent cries of help. Instead of struggling to free herself from the fire scene, she chose to remain in that position. She’s all choked up from the smoke and her own tears.She closed her eyes soon after she realizes there is no way she can escape.

 

Julie has just reached the fire scene soon after receiving Mrs.Kim’s urgent call. Mrs.Kim was their beloved neighbor. She sees a teary Mrs.Kim pleading to the firefighters so that they could rush upstairs to save April. When the others were busy discussing about the rescue plan, one of the junior firefighters have decided to rush upstairs without a second thought.

 

He rummaged through the burning planks and managed to see April crouching on the floor amidst the blaze. He fidgeted himself low enough to crawl into the scene until he reached her. After checking her vitals, he scooped her up and they managed to escape from the fire scene with the help of his other teammates.

 

April was later taken to the hospital by an ambulance meanwhile the firefighters continued to put out fire from the blazing condominium. Julie takes care of April at the hospital. April is still unconscious due to the fire.

 

(April’s POV)

I heard a male’s voice saying something, too bad I coudn’t make out the words, I wonder why his voice sounds familiar...I wanted to answer him but I cant…A pair of strong arms lifted me up not long after and to be honest that was the most secure and safe embrace ever….