Attention | Pt. 1

Attention (Hiatus)

Fall has quickly approached again, the air is crisp and cool. The leaves crunching beneath your feet as you walk towards your dorm building, luggage case rolling behind you. It seems just like yesterday that school was out for summer break. A new chapter has begun, you are starting high school now. You feel nervous but excited as well for the things that would soon await you. As you approach the dorm building a car comes speeding through the entrance, you hear the squelching tires and smell the burnt rubber. The sound is getting closer, you turn around and notice the car coming right at you. You quickly jump out of the way, landing on your bottom, elbows against the pavement as the car comes to a stop. A boy with light brown hair steps out, his amber eyes sparkling in the sunlight. He looks into the front seat of the car at two people trying to make conversation with him. "I know mom, this is the last school, the last chance. I'll really try my best this time." He quickly makes his way to the trunk of the car where he pulls out his luggage case. He slams the trunk door shut in a fit of frustration as he begins to walk away making no regard to you who is still on the ground. Frustrated and dumbfounded about the situation you quickly pick yourself up off the ground, brushing your hands off as well as your uniform. You begin to stomp after the boy, nothing but anger driving your actions. You stop him in his tracks and he gives you a menacing look, almost as if you have interrupted his thoughts. "What do you want?" "An apology," you say as you glare. "An apology for what?" "You almost ran me over back there!" Not realizing you had lost your cool and raised your voice the boy glares back at you, his mouth frowning in the process. "Well, you're alive aren't you?" He begins to pick up the pace again as he walks to the dorm. Before he can get arm's length away you grab onto his wrist and pull him back. He spins on his heels so he is looking down into your eyes again. "Apologize" you say demandingly. He yanks his wrist breaking free from your grasp and sighs. "No." He begins walking up the stairs, this time making sure to get away from you. You sigh in disbelief. "Wow, what a way to start off the year." You pick your luggage case back up and make your way up the stairs as well. As you enter the building you notice the marble floors, the ceiling lined with crown molding, the walls painted white. Another staircase is directly in front of you, mahogany rails reflect the sunlight coming through the grand windows lining the walls. You head to your right to find the information desk so you can get your dorm key. "Name please." The woman in a red skirt suit is looking down at a paper full of names. "Park Jimin." "Park Jimin, you're in room 303. Go up to the third floor, the room should be the 3rd door on the left." She hands you a golden key.

You make your way back to the grand staircase and begin to lift your heavy luggage case up the stairs. You begin to feel tightness in your chest as you struggle to the second floor. "Just one more floor to go" you say hoping to motivate yourself. After nearly tripping over your feet you feel the weight of your luggage case begin to lighten. A boy with orange hair flashes a square smile at you. "I noticed you could use some help. Kim Taehyung." Quietly thanking the gods that someone finally came to help, you smile back. "Park Jimin, it's nice to meet you." "What floor are you going to?" "I'm going to the third floor." Taehyung helps you pull the luggage case up the final set of stairs. Finally at the top you bend over, place your hands on your thighs and try to regain your breath. "Thank you for helping, I didn't realize how heavy this thing would be." You say as you awkwardly chuckle. "It's no problem. I'll see you around, Jimin." You make your way to the left side of the hallway, keeping an eye out for room number 303. You finally arrive at the door and unlock the golden door lock. Placing your key into your pocket you enter your room, sighing in relief to finally be here. You take a look over the room, a closet for shoes is left of the entrance, a small shelving unit off to the right. The light above the door flickers on, you take your shoes off and make your way deeper inside. You struggle to lift your luggage case onto your bed, but once you do you leave it for the time being to continue your scout of the place. You notice another bed on the opposite side of the room. "Great, I thought mom and dad payed for a private room." To the right you notice a door, eager to see what's on the other side you turn the knob and slowly enter. Steam rolls out of the room and you suddenly realize it's the bathroom. "Wait, is there someone in here?" You look behind you at the empty bed. "But there's no other luggage case here." You place a hand on the back of your head and scratch in confusion. Warily, you begin to haltingly enter the bathroom. Surprised you notice someone is in the shower, you can't make out who. Before you could turn to exit the bathroom a voice growls from the shower. "Who's there!?" A lump forms in the back of your throat, you swallow to try and make it go away but it sticks there. Unable to speak, the voice snaps through the silence again. "I asked who was there!?" You muster up the courage to finally speak, softly the words flow from your mouth. "I'm sorry, the other bed was empty, I thought nobody was here so I decided to check the-" You're interrupted by the sudden scene of a person in front of you only covered in a towel. You turn around quickly so as to not see anything and embarrass the person. "I'll leave now!" You exclaim while shuffling out of the room as quickly as you could. The door slams shut behind you and you rest yourself against it. You try to calm down your rapid breathing. "Maybe I'll just unpack my stuff, it'll take my mind off of things."

You make your way to your bed and the case, take out all of the contents and spread them on the bed to better organize everything. Quickly gathering your clothes you find the wardrobe on the wall that has the bathroom behind it. You open it up to find that it's full, save for a few drawers. "I guess I should've looked here first..." You quietly whisper to yourself as you slide a drawer out and begin to place your clothing into it. The bathroom door opens with the following sounds of feet on the hardwood floor. Keeping to yourself, you take your bathroom personals and head inside, placing your items on your side of the double sided sink. You exit again and finally lock eyes with the person you had walked in on. The boy gives you an evil smirk as your mouth hits the floor. Unable to believe your eyes you make it out to be the boy who almost ran you over. "You again?" Finally regaining your bearings you speak up. "I think I might have the wrong room." "No, you're in the right room." The boy flops onto his bed and stares up at the ceiling. "Since we have to share a room in this hell hole for a semester, let's try not to talk to each other, so tensions don't rise." "I couldn't agree more." You say as you slide your luggage case under the bed. "Not that you care, but my name is Park Jimin. Not "You" by the way." "Park Jimin, Park Jinyoung. Either way it doesn't matter to me." The boy shifts in his bed so that his back is facing towards you. "I can't wait until class starts. Thank God it's tomorrow." you mutter under your breath as you also lie down on your bed. Sleep begins to tempt you, argumentative thoughts becoming jumbled as your eyelids become heavy. Soon you enter a slumber, possibly one of the deepest sleeps you have ever had.

Birds are chirping in the distance, light seeps into your half cracked eyes. You groan and stretch, sluggishly sitting up to look at the clock. It reads 9:30. "9:30?!" Jumping up out of bed to rush to your part of the wardrobe, you grab your clothes and head to the bathroom. Nearly losing balance while pulling your pants up over your legs, you get your toothbrush and spread the toothpaste onto it. "I can't believe it. The first day of school and I'm late! The teacher is going to hate me." A chill runs through your body as the minty paste spreads onto your taste buds. You hastily head out and grab your backpack, running out of the door all in the meanwhile forgetting the room key out of panic. "He didn't even bother to wake me up either! That jerk!" Panting and wheezing you slide the classroom door open, only to be greeted by the gazes of the entire class as well as the teacher. Sweat rolls down your temple and onto your cheek. Your eyes avert over to the teacher as you pick up your feet to walk, they feel as heavy as lead. "I'm sorry, my alarm wasn't set last night and I slept late. My roommate didn't bother to wake me..." "No excuses. While you are a part of this school, you will NOT be late to my class. I assume you're Park Jimin, seeing as you didn't call your name when I did roll call." "Yes, that's right." "Take your seat. There's an empty seat next to Jung Hoseok." The teacher slides his glasses back up onto the bridge of his nose while burying himself in all the paperwork for the start of the school year. Your eyes scan the room for the empty desk. Once located, you promptly head towards your seat. The smell of paper, freshly waxed floors and pencil erasers fill the air. The aroma is nostalgic and intoxicating. The smell you love because you can finally get away from your home life. You had always been eager to go to school. Your father beats your mother, and your mother takes her aggression out on you and your sister Soyou because she can't do anything against your father. You always worry about Soyou. Is she safe? Did she make it to school? The thoughts fill your head as you breath out a sigh of relief for finally getting to class. "Park Jimin." The teacher snaps you out of your thoughts. "Park Jimin, can you answer the question for us?" Panicking you scramble to your feet and look around for any signs that may help you out. The person in the seat next to you slides a paper onto your desk with the word "scenery." "S-Scenery!" you blurt at the top of your lungs. "You may take your seat." You slowly sit back down and make sure to pay attention to the lesson this time so something embarrassing doesn't happen again. You tap on the desk to your right, the sound of your fingernail catches his attention. Without turning your head you whisper "thank you." Your focus is elsewhere, but the sound of your name softly being called catches your attention. Your head cranes to the right to see who is calling your name. It's your roommate. His light brown hair is hanging in his eyes, amber eyes focusing ahead, his lips turned in a slight smirk at the corners of his mouth. You notice a little freckle on his top lip, his skin a silky tan color. You can't help but admire him. "Jimin, you should really pay attention in class. You seem like the teacher's pet kinda guy." Hearing the slight sass in his voice you can't help but to take offense. "I'll have you know, I'm always at the top of my class. Oh quick question. Why didn't you wake me up this morning? Because of you I was late." The low chuckle coming from the boy sends a chill down your spine. "It's not my job to babysit you." Despite being frustrated about the matter, it's best to just pay attention to the teacher. Ignoring the sassy remark, you focus on the teacher again.

Minutes pass, and then soon hours go by. The shrill sound of the class bell emits through the room and anxious bodies rise from their seats. The shuffling of feet and screeching of soles on the marble floor fade into the distance. While zipping up your pencil case and gathering your papers up, a mass stops in front of your desk. Lost in your own world, worrying about your sister you don't even notice. A hand slams down onto the desk, causing the thud to echo throughout the classroom. You jump in your seat, your heart feeling like it could jump out of your chest at any moment. Gradually lifting your head while grabbing onto your chest, the same amber colored eyes meet your gaze. "Did I scare you?" "Yes!" You retorted. The snap in your voice makes the sly boy smile. "Ah, I see you have a little bite in you. It's time for lunch. I figured I'd let you know since you expect me to babysit you. Your stomach has been trying to tell you for quite sometime now." Silence fills the air soon followed by the low growl of your stomach. Your arms slide over your stomach so as to hide it. "I don't need you to babysit me Jung Hoseok. I can take care of myself." You slide out of your seat, belongings in hand, and take a step forward. Your ankle buckles from underneath of you and what happens next seems to have happened in slow motion. You try to grab onto your desk to stop yourself from falling but to no avail you're too far away from it now. You're inching closer to the ground, in fear you clench your fingers into the palm of your hand, leaving nail marks in your soft, delicate skin. You shut your eyes and clench your teeth letting only a small whimper escape. Suddenly arms wrap around you. The embrace feels strong and makes you feel like you're melting. Your heart is beating because of the sudden rush of adrenaline, but also because being in the embrace of Hoseok makes you feel safe. "Are you going to get up now, or are you just going to stay like that." His low voice snaps you back to reality and your eyes gradually open. His eyes pierce through you. Scrambling your way back onto solid ground, you pick up your things. "But you don't need me to babysit you." You turn to give him a glare but he's already gone. "I don't need you. I don't need your help either." Muttering under your breath you become lost in thought again. When you were in his arms, you felt at peace, you felt...safe. That's the first time you've felt like that in years. A smile spreads across your face and soon you're making your way off to the lunch hall with all of your classmates.