Congratulations

Heartbreak Hotel
Please log in to read the full chapter

Congratulations

Sungjin

 

“How could you do this?” you puffed furiously, your tone abusive and hurt.

“I promised that I would write a song about you,” I answered flatly, shrugging my shoulders. The song came out, it was a success and I didn’t even want to hide the fact that it was about you.

You knew it, you had to know it. You read between the lines. You noticed the little hints here and there, so it seems my words stuck with you after all. I could have denied it, I could have lied to you but there was no use of putting on a show just for you. I wasn’t ashamed of putting my heart into this song, you should have been the one who was ashamed. Yet, you were hurt instead.

You deserved to hear the song over and over again and be reminded of all the pain you’ve caused me. That’s all I can say.

 

“It’s not what you think,” you raised your arms in defeat after saying goodbye to your boyfriend. I wasn’t blind, he was obviously your new lover, you couldn’t tell me otherwise. No matter how hard you tried, I wasn’t your little puppy that you could play with. Not anymore.

“I get it, you found someone. Be happy but don’t lie to me!” I winced at you, my heart aching in jealousy and gloom. My hands were shaking but you didn’t seem to notice. My voice was shaking but you didn’t seem to care. I hated to tell you lies but it was the first time I had to. There was no other way to overcome what I’d just witnessed.

Your last words haunted me in my dreams, they were on my mind all day long, they accompanied me wherever I went. Whenever your favourite song was playing on the radio, whenever another girl was wearing your favourite stripped T-shirt, whenever I saw the book you were currently reading in the bookshop or whenever I walked by the cosy café where we had our first date, you immediately nestled into my mind. You were everywhere, even in my dreams, and it was like playing with fire. The more I couldn’t get rid of you, the more pain I felt.

“I met him after we had already broken up,” you insisted on telling me yet another fib but I wasn’t so naïve this time. I couldn’t believe your words. I was sick of the way you were playing with my heart, inviting it for that so-called last dance before death. I felt like falling into pieces over and over again when I was with you, you didn’t have to make it even harder.

“We didn’t even break up,” I reminded you with a hurtful edge to my tone and turned around to head to the entertainment building. You couldn’t follow me into the hall because you didn’t have access, so I was relieved. On the other hand, the lack of protestation still hurt like hell.

You knew it was the first time we didn’t lie to each other that day.

 

“Let’s take a break,” you announced wearily as you rose up from your seat, leaving your plate untouched on the table. I had previously made you dinner because I knew you had a rough day at work with all those meetings and your always packed schedule and although I was just as busy as you, I wanted to surprise you.

Yet, all I got in response was a disgusted frown and a threat that if I ever burn any of your frying pans again, you wouldn’t let me into the kitchen. Our kitchen. I didn’t know why you acted so uncharacteristically grumpy all of a sudden but my heart palpitated against my chest the whole time because I had a feeling that you would announce something.

“Why? What did I do wrong? Did something happen at work?” I immediately stood up to follow you into our room but the expression on your face was just as fathomless as you were. You were a riddle, an unsolved mystery, the question of the century. Little did I know that I would know the answer the question soon yet it would be better if I didn’t find out the truth.

“No,” you shook your head as you started packing yo

Please log in to read the full chapter