The Beginning

Perfect Timing
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

April 21st, 2017. 7:42 AM. Los Angeles, California.

 

Namjoon rubbed his eyes, groaning. He had been awake since 4 AM trying to get what he had in his mind onto the piece of paper in front of him. These days, he had been waking up earlier and earlier, not because he wanted to, but because he would wake up in the middle of the night with an idea for a part of the machine he was building. And being far too afraid to just go back to bed with the hope that he would remember it the next morning, he would get out of bed right then and sketch out a blueprint before going back to bed. But this one was harder than the rest. He was almost finished though. Just a few more lines here, a dimension there.

Namjoon reached out for his ruler, sticking out from his bookshelf under an unruly pile of books. He tugged at it, but the ruler snapped under the combined pressure of the books and Namjoon's pulling. He groaned again. "Stupid thing." he thought. He somehow managed to break twice as many things as the average person. "You know what? I have an IQ of 149, I can just estimate the size of this wire. It's fine." He finished up his blueprint and looked at the clock. 

"Ugh. It's already eight?" he muttered to himself. "It's too late to go back to bed now. I might as well start building this piece." 

 

With mounting excitement, Namjoon screwed on the final bolts of the final piece of the machine he had spent the last two years working on. His time machine. His most beloved creation, the one that would make him revered among all people, the one that would earn him a spot among the greatest inventors of all time, alongside Archimedes and Thomas Edison. And most of all, the one that would fulfill his childhood dream. He put the final piece into the control panel of the machine, and stood back to admire it. It stood almost six feet tall, made of gleaming titanium, palladium-based glass, and countless meters of wiring. It was gorgeous. 

He grabbed his pliers and began twisting and connecting the wires from his final piece to the rest of the motherboard. As he stretched two of the wires towards eachother, he found one side of the wires was a centimeter too short. "It's the wire I estimat

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter