im nayeon, the sore loser

come back in style (summer time)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The thing about Im Nayeon is, she hates losing.

 

Any trivial matters can hurt her pride; she's just a drama queen like that. She hates being defeated, she hates not owning the last word and she hates being second.

 

Jeongyeon and Jihyo, her best friends, have often expressed their displeasures over her competitive nature and it's true that she has given them a hard time with her attitude. But as years rolled by, it is apparent that those two have learnt to deal with it and took her rather insufferable trait as, what they would call, “Part of Im Nayeon, the Sore Loser". Nayeon was glad, though she didn't appreciate the ugly nickname (because it's honestly correct).

 

Right now she is having fun in this huge party Momo, a student from the art faculty majoring in dance, is throwing in celebration to the arrival of summer holiday. To be honest, she's not really that close with the Japanese transferee. If anything they are able to make a conversation in the first place because she's a friend of Jeongyeon. But Momo's cool anyway, and she makes cool parties, so Nayeon doesn't have any reason to reject the invitation and not attend.

 

She has detached herself away from Jihyo and Jeongyeon earlier and is currently wandering around the house. She has to give Momo a pat in her back because this is how a party should be. The food is nice and her choice of DJ is on point (then again, Tzuyu, the DJ, who also happens to be her sister, has always had a great taste in music that sometimes Nayeon steals her iPod just because). Furthermore, the decorations are superb. She adores the colorful lantern lined to make an X suspended above their heads in the backyard; it gives a nice touch to the already starry sky.

 

But she hates losing remember?

 

Thus she's absolutely enraged when she saw her ex boyfriend whom she had broken up with a week ago talking with another girl across the backyard. No sign of remorse or sadness in his flirtatious wink and sugarcoated lines.

 

Oho, don't get her wrong. She has moved on alright. Besides, she was the one who called it off because: 1) Im Nayeon never get attached. 2) He's, in fact, just another sea of boys who sought to be on her pants.

 

Sure his slicked back hair is- was charming and he can swoon just every girl off her feet, but hey! She’s Im Nayeon. She too, can get anyone to be on their knees, begging her to love them. She has the beauty, the talent and the title. With a snap of her fingers, she can get everything she wants.

 

She must have been too focused on observing the interactions between the bastard and whoever that girl is that he eventually catches her stare. She schools her expression when he threw her a victorious smirk behind the girl shoulder, pulling her closer like a jerk he is. Fuming, Nayeon smiles tantalizingly, though her inner little Nayeons inside her brain start to run havoc when he whispers something to his 'companion' and grabs her hand, heading toward her.

 

Seems like that bastard there wants to take revenge over the embarrassment Nayeon had caused when she broke up with him in front of everyone in the hall, by trying to rub it all over her face that he has found her replacement.

 

(Good for him, she's not even as gorgeous as Nayeon. She detects fake lashes and fake s, heh.)

 

"Is this yours?"

 

A husky voice and taps on her forearm interrupts her reverie. She whirls around to see a stretched arm with her pink clutch offered to her. She must have dropped it without her realizing.

 

Nayeon lifts her gaze up slowly, to see a familiar yet nameless girl in front of her, looking the most casual in the crowd of dressed up people with her jeans and t-shirt that for a moment Nayeon felt overdressed with her one piece dress and heels.

 

She glances at the approaching good-for-nothing boy dragging an oblivious girl under his arm. She can smell his bull all the way from here and oh god does she want to slap away those filthy smirk off his equally filthy face. He's winning, he's about to put Nayeon into an eternal shame (here comes her exaggeration) and he's beyond ecstatic about it.

 

That until an idea pops in her mind.

 

(An absurd one, frankly speaking. But she's willing to take anything to turn the table around at this rate, even if it costs her more troubles later on.

 

One problem at a time, she can think about the consequences later on.)

 

"Oh babe, thank you!" She deliberately said it out loud so that her ex can hear her. It earns her a frown from the guy and a pure lost expression from the girl. She swiftly wrap her fingers around the petite wrists of the girl's, ignoring her clutch and the mortified look she is given, and back away until her back hit the wall, as if she was the one who's pinned and not the one who pulls the poor girl into her.

 

She peeks to see her ex's reaction and is simply pleased at the murderous look he shoots at them. She circles her arms around the girl's neck, who looks a bit too flustered to question the motive behind her rather... questionable action. She faces her and the silhouette covered details of her face for Nayeon to inspects better (though she's able to catch the beauty mark on the tall bridge of her nose and above her thin lips.) But really, she's in a dire situation to care about details and nothing will stop her from this.

 

‘Two can play the game you piece of .' She thought with an evil smirk.

 

"Kiss me." She whispers - no commands.

 

"W- What?" The girl splutters.

 

From her peripheral vision, she sees him five meters away from them. "Quick. Like you mean it."

 

When the girl does nothing but stare at her like she's mad, Nayeon rolls her eyes and crashes their lips together. She'll thank her later after this, Nayeon's sure of it. This is Im Nayeon we are talking about, demanding for a kiss. She'd probably save a country on her previous life to deserve one, or so Nayeon concluded.

 

It's just a press, nothing more nothing less, but it's Nayeon who feels the air running up her bare arms, sending tingles down her spine, especially when the shock has been recovered and the girl titles her head for a better access and put her hands on the small of her back properly she can just feel her clutch in between her hips and the wall.

 

Nayeon instinctively let her eyes flutter shut at the same time the girl part her lips and sweep her tongue on Nayeon's lower lip. Under different occasion, Nayeon'd slap the life out of someone for that. Tongue on first kiss freaking turn her off. But it's different somehow, might be because of the fact that this is the first time she kisses a girl or the fact that she's just so good Nayeon forgets this is merely a plot of revenge to safe her dignity and keeps her win. Heck, she forgets that her ex is probably watching, glaring draggers at the turn out event. She'd love to gloat and see how furious he was but this pair of lips distracted her to the point where she misses her opportunity to do so.

 

She sees a flash of the lanterns from the back of her lids and for a split second wonders whether that's a good thing or not.

 

When they pull away, Jinyoung isn't there, her back sore and her lips tingling. She wriggles out from the girl's arms to make sure Jinyoung is really out of her field of sight before she takes her clutch and hurriedly fixes her hair.

 

"Thanks!" She says cheerfully, like she hasn't just kissed a stranger without her permission, though in her defense, the girl doesn't do anything about it. Heck she probably enjoys it as much.

 

Nayeon doesn't wait for a reply to disappear inside, looking for Jihyo who is hanging around in the couch with a cider in her hand and is currently talking with Sana, the girl Nayeon knew Jihyo has the hots for.

 

Nayeon being Nayeon though, she annoyingly sits in between the two awestruck girls and steals Jihyo away from the blonde. Jihyo doesn't dare to yell at her in fear scarring her crush away. When Sana eventually leaves and they are left alone, Jihyo gulps back her frustration with a sigh.

 

"Really? I was close to asking her out for a lunch."

 

"She's jealous, I can assure you that so you can just skip the lunch part and ask her to be your girlfriend. Or maybe go straight to the bedroom part." Nayeon quips, taking Jihyo's cider for her to take a sip. Jihyo, no longer faze at her bratty attitude, settle to get more comfortable at the couch.

 

"Whatever," she fishes out her phone from her pocket then adds without looking at her, "Why are you blushing anyway? Did something great happen that you are smiling weirdly like that?"

 

"I'm not blushing and nothing's happened." Nayeon shrugs, touching the corner of her lips subconsciously. Jihyo looks at her pointedly before she shakes her head.

 

When they leave after bidding Momo goodbye, Nayeon is in such a good mood that it freaks Jeongyeon out when the shorthaired girl enters Jihyo's car.

 

Yep, she has proven once again that no one can beat Im Nayeon.

 

(And yep, the kiss certainly makes her night but nobody shall know that.)

 

 

Back at Momo's house.

 

Momo paddles away from her chatty friends for a glass of water only to see her cousin leaning against the counter with her arms crossed over her chest, looking as if she's in deep thought, like she had unintentionally did something awful.

 

But then again, since when has Mina never been in a deep thought? The younger girl is such a contrast to her it is a wonder how they can get along fine.

 

"You look awful couz." Momo chirps and passes by her to the refrigerator. She takes out a bottle of cold water and drinks it straight up from the bottle.

 

"It's nothin'." Mina switches to their mother tongue. The monotone answer and the slumped shoulders warring her answer. She pushes herself off the counter and snatches the bottle Momo's holding. "I'll be in my room if you need me."

 

Halfway the stairs, Momo shouts, "Your game wouldn't freaking explode if you leave it for a minute. Why don't you like... I don't know, socialize with real people instead of hunting a non-existent treasure?"

 

"I completed Uncharted long time ago." Mina smirks and continues her way to her room, waving the bottle around, earning herself a scoff from the older Japanese.

 

*

 

The tune of iPhone's signature alarm rings inside her bedroom and for the umpteenth time Nayeon blindly put it on snooze mode, mumbling incoherent reasons and empty assurances, before her head falls back on the softness of her pillow. She snuggles her cheek to her Hello Kitty blanket like a child ready to go to bed despite it already nine in the morning.

 

It's not like Nayeon wasn't a morning person, quite the opposite actually. But last night party has drained her to the core that her bed has never been this comfy and welcoming before (and she might or might not have spent roughly an hour thinking about a certain girl and the kiss). She makes a plan to stay in bed until noon and asks Tzuyu to buy her brunch later on because she's older than her and what is little sister for if it's not to be ordered around?

 

But of course, she can't just relish in the feel her bed provided, can she? Jeongyeon just has to barge inside her room like it's nobody business, her obnoxious munches oh so inconsiderately disturbing her sleep. She groans and squints an eye to find the former with a bowl of cereal (her cereal) nursed on her lap, sitting cross-legged on the edge of her bed beside her feet, watching her sleeping.

 

If that doesn't weird you out, then you are the weird one.

 

Nayeon tugs the blanket to the top of her head and grumbles, "Go away." When Jeongyeon's munches don't go away, she pulls her blanket down and flings a rabbit plushy toward her, which the latter easily dodged. "I said go away you ostrich!"

 

"No can't do Nabongs. You said you'd accompany me to buy a coffee machine today." Jeongyeon says; the clanks of her spoon against the bowl distancing Nayeon further from her sleep.

 

"Why this early?" She whines, childishly flailing her arms in protest. Jeongyeon moves her bowl away when Nayeon's feet start to kick and leaps to her own to save her breakfast. She gets them priority right.

 

"Cuz I've got no time in the evening and have enough of Starbucks and its overprice coffee." Jeongyeon replies nonchalantly. She takes another spoonful of the cornflakes cereal. "Oh by the way, your choice in cereal ."

 

Nayeon hurls another plushy and it successfully lands on Jeongyeon's face.

 

*

 

After she has shooed Jeongyeon away from her room, she decides that she can't escape it and heads to the bathroom after fetching a black skirt and a t-shirt from her wardrobe. She didn't need to check the weather forecast to know that it's probably boiling outside. She can almost hear the asphalted road sizzling under the assault of the sun behind her curtained window.

 

She comes out of her room an hour later, still sleepy and in light make up. She catches a sight of her little sister devouring her breakfast in the living room, her sweatpants rolled a quarter up, feet resting on the wooden table in front of her and gaze fixated on whatever she was watching on television.

 

Right, Tzuyu always spend her summer break in her a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter