Chapter 4

Stranded With Seventeen

 

Dinner is at the top of everyone's list, since no one has had a proper meal that day. You pass another bottle of water around, making sure that there is enough for everyone. Now that night has fallen, the mood is sombre as the realisation sets in everyone's minds that you're all stranded in the middle of nowhere with no signs of being rescued. No one dares to say this out loud, each entertaining their own thoughts – either staring into the fire, or up at the canvas of the dark sky.

Joshua quietly takes responsibility of the dry food rations, handing out dinner to everyone. It's been a long day, both physically and mentally taxing, and everyone eats their portion quietly. It's not the most expensive meal – it's only packets of biscuits, nothing filling – but it's suddenly the best food in the whole wide world. Wonwoo, the resident anti-jokester, suddenly sings the praises of the biscuits – literally, in his deep baritone – which sets a playful mood, lifting the atmosphere, especially when Hoshi joins in with random adlibs.

"Suddenly Wonwoo's funny, now that we're stranded," Hoshi comments with a grin. The fire crackles as the rest of the members laugh, though with a tired edge.

S. Coups makes everyone rest once dinner is over, and volunteers to keep watch all night. "We're out here in the open," he reasons, "and anything can happen, you know." You suggest for everyone to take turns – S. Coups is looking more haggard by the minute – and Joshua and Jun decide to take the later shifts so that their leader can rest soon.

Woozi's already bundled in blankets, safe under the shelter with Seungkwan, Joshua and Wonwoo. Since the hut's too small, the rest of them snuggle in a group near the fire, lying down right on the sand. The8 cuddles Dino's backpack for home comfort.

"It feels like we're camping." Hoshi says, staring up at the sky, which is smattered with stars. "You guys know that Hoshi means 'star' in Japanese, right?"

Jun and The8, who lie on either side of him, respond with a tired yes, having heard the same story in numerous interviews and talk shows when the performance unit leader was asked about his stage name. Hoshi rambles nonsensically for a bit more – you can't make his words out properly – before he lets out a snore, finally asleep.

You stoke the fire with some more driftwood before it dies out so that the three members sleeping out on the sand can have some warmth, too. As the night gets darker, it gets colder, and you have no sense of time. Your head is heavy and you want to do nothing else but sleep, but since all the members - except for the leader - are asleep, you still have a responsibility towards them as a staff member, even if you're just a newbie.

"Noona, you should sleep." S. Coups slips into your thoughts, snapping you back to reality. He's sitting across the fire from you, watching your every move with his incredibly intense gaze, and suddenly you feel conscious.

"I'm fine." You break a twig and throw it into the fire. He opens his mouth to say something, but decides against it and settles on watching you. You meet his eyes for a fleeting moment, but you quickly avert your eyes, settling on the blazing fire instead.

The fire embers float into the air as it pops and crackles, accompanied by Hoshi's snoring. You let the warmth of the fire engulf you, trying not to think of anything else but focusing on the dull throb in your skull. The reality of the situation is too much to handle; so you concentrate on the present: the sense of being near a fire, Hoshi's snoring, and S. Coups' intense gaze fixed on you...

You're too immersed in your own world that you don't notice S. Coups leaving his spot to sit next to you. He gently makes you lie down on the sand, then stretches out next to you, a bit too close for comfort.

"Don't think too much, we're all going to be fine." He says quietly, with a hint of determination in his voice. It's like he's trying to convince himself of what lies ahead – he's still a young man, after all, with a big responsibility to look after s, of which, somehow extended to include you as well.

You blink, staring up at the sky. He's completely wrong – there's barely a thought in your brain – as he takes your silence as pensiveness.

"Now close your eyes and go to sleep." You do as he says.

It's hard to fall asleep in an unfamiliar place, and your thoughts swim around your head, as there's nothing material to focus onto now that your eyes are closed. You can sense S. Coups' presence right next to you, so you don't dare to open your eyes. Eventually, with your ceaseless headache, sleep washes over you like a wave and you gladly greet slumber on the beach, next to a crackling fire and a cute boy.

You don't know how long you've been sleeping when you suddenly jerk awake, sensing a movement close to you.

"Did I wake you up?" It's The8, stoking the fire with more wood. You sit up, disorientated, trying to remember where you are. Seeing the shadows from the fire dancing on The8's face, you're instantly reminded that you're stranded on an uncharted island with eight members of k-pop group Seventeen – who are all snugly asleep around you, save for the Chinese boy nursing the fire.

"Jun-hyung's supposed to keep watch, but he fell back asleep so I'm doing it for him." The8 explains in his accented manner. He hands you some water, and you drink it. It quenches your parched throat, though there's a bitter feeling at the back of your throat once the water's all gone down your oesophagus. He looks at you expectantly, but now that you're wide awake you know that you won't be able to sleep as you remember the situation you all are in. You let out a deep sigh and grip your head in your hands.

"Do you want to go for a walk, noona?" The8 suggests, noticing that your face is paler than usual.

You agree without missing a beat, and scramble up to your feet. Maybe it'll clear your head up, since you need to get your thoughts straight to survive. The8 arms himself with Dino's torch, and you take one last glance at the sleeping boys before heading to the ocean front. Only Joshua is half-awake, cuddling his dongsaengs around him like a mother hen. Jun is sleeping spread-eagled on the beach, with Hoshi twitching in his slumber next to him. Leader S. Coups is dozing on one of the crates, hugging Dino's backpack. You assume that The8 took over watch from S. Coups, knowing he needs his sleep more than anyone else, given the work he'd done all day. A short walk won't hurt, you suppose, besides, you won't go far. The glow of the fire doesn't reach all the way to the ocean front – the tide has receded over time – so The8 switches Dino's torchlight on. You walk right next to him, breathing in the salty night breeze. It's a bit cold, so you wrap your arms around yourself for warmth.

"Did you sleep well?" You ask him amid silence.

"I guess so." The8 stops, flashing the light onto the sand. "Look at the tiny hermit crabs." You can see some movement on the sand, which is dotted by tiny holes. The8 squats down for a closer look, and you copy him, but apparently, the hermit crabs have gone into their nests under the sand, so both of you don't spot any. The8 flashes the light ahead, and your eyes trail after it. A subtle movement catches your eye, and you can see sand-coloured hermit crabs scrambling into their nests, trying to avoid the sudden brightness.

"Oh, I see them! They don't pinch you, do they?" You exclaim.

"I don't think so, they're pretty small." Adventurous The8 hands you the flashlight and tries to pick one up in his palm, but they're too quick and descend underground when he approaches.

"It'd be nice if we can eat them." You say. Hunger envelopes you – you're craving for a proper meal, and you know the boys want it too.

The8 simply grins at your opinion. "Let's go." He walks a few steps ahead, and you follow him. You're both heading towards the sea, which isn't too far off. No one says anything for a while during the walk, and you wonder what The8 is thinking about, since he's one of the quieter members of Seventeen. You've never had a proper conversation with him, vis-à-vis, so it's entirely new for you to speak to him.

You both finally reach the shore, which is noticeably farther from where it was in the evening, and stop short of the lapping waves. The sound soothes you, and the black sea spreads infinitely ahead. The8 shines the light out to sea, as if signalling for help. In the darkness, you can barely see anything a few feet ahead.

"Thanks for taking care of us, noona." The8 says out of nowhere.

"It's my job." You smile and manage to stutter a response at his sudden acknowledgement.

The8 pauses for a beat. "I hope we'll get back home soon." Even though you can't see his face, you can sense the sincerity in his voice.

"Me too."