3....

Queasy

            Kibum twisted the marshmallow stick, making sure the other side was getting toasted as well. Jinki’s head was leaning carefully on his shoulder, snuggling into him in their chair.  “Do you want chocolate on your s’more, Baby?”

             “Mm, you can have that one.” Jinki’s voice was slightly muffled as he twisted a little to hide his face in Kibum’s sweatshirt. “Nugget is being bad. I think they disagreed with your mom’s chicken.”

             “Don’t let her hear that.” Kibum lifted the marshmallow from the flames as he pressed a warm kiss to Jinki’s hair.  

             Jinki held the two pieces of graham crackers in his left palm, resting on Kibum’s thigh as the man squished the marshmallow against one side. Once the chocolate square was placed and the sandwich was made, Kibum tried to take a bite without making a mess. He failed, crumbs falling from his bottom lip onto his hoodie. He pouted, staring at them tumbling down the fabric as if betrayed. Softly, Jinki brushed them off, small smile half hidden by Kibum’s shoulder. “Mm, your older brother is coming.”

             “Oh?” Kibum asked, mouth full of his next bite of s’more.

             “Babe!” Jinki laughed, nose scrunched as more crumbs fell.

             Kibum gave a big smile without showing his teeth, before swallowing as Kwangsu’s hand fell on his right shoulder. “If you’re done being a complete pig, we’re ready to do the course.”

             Brushing his nose against Jinki’s hair, Kibum softly whispered, “Are you still feeling up to doing it, Baby?”

             “Yeah,” Jinki perked up, smiling widely. “Can I really?”

             “Of course Baby.” He gently kissed Jinki’s skin right before his ear, smile pulling at his lips. “You’re going to do so well.”

             “What is he going to do?” Kwangsu chipped in.

             “The course.” Kibum answered as they softly began to untangle themselves.

             Kwangsu scuffed, “But there aren’t any positions left.”

             “There is if someone steps down,” He placed his cup on the table next to their chair and smiled when Jinki grabbed his hand. “Like myself for example. He’s going to take my place as the runner.”

             “I can’t allow that.” Jinki’s bright smile quickly fell at Kwangsu’s words. “It’s not fair to the others. We can’t tackle him for the medallion in his condition.”

             “In my condition?” Jinki softly asked, “You mean the baby?”

             “Yes.” The man hummed, crossing his arms. “That makes the game shifted if we can’t tackle you in order to win.”

             “Ah I see.” Jinki stared at him as he crossed his own arms. “It’s cute you think you’d even be able to catch me to need to tackle me.”

             “Excuse me?”

             Jinki looked at Kibum for a long moment, not wanting to offend his family anymore, but his mate was just smiling, amused, so he continued. “You don’t want me to play because you’re afraid I might beat you. You couldn’t handle losing to someone you see as less than.”

             “That’s not true-I-”

             “Then I guess I’m playing.” Jinki happily said before turning to Kibum, “Will you save me a marshmallow?”

             “Of course Baby, Go shift.” After a soft kiss to Kibum’s cheek the man slipped past them to walk inside. He’d change and put his clothes up before coming out shifted.

              Kibum’s gaze was taken from Jinki’s retreating form when Kwangsu softly ordered. “You need to get your mate under control.”

              “Under control?” He barked a laugh. “He’s not a dog.”

              “He shouldn’t speak like that. I am his senior.. The heir to be the leader of our pack.”

              “You forget,” He smiled lightly, watching the fire flicker into the air. “When I mated him I officially became apart of his. Even if we did care about that , you aren’t our Pack’s Alpha.”

              “I will not stand being disrespected like that.”

              “Ah, disrespect.” He shook his head slowly before tapping his brother’s forehead with a few of his fingers. Kibum grabbed his blanket and wrapped it around himself tightly. “You gotta get your head out of your .”

              "We’re gonna hurt him. Don’t you care about that?”

              “He knows his limits and I trust him. He won’t do anything that’ll harm himself or our child.” Kibum pressed his lips together for a moment. “Besides, he’s wanted to participate every single time I’ve brought him to visit and you’ve found some reason that he couldn’t. He’s right. This isn’t about the baby. It’s about your pride.”

              “Whatever Kibum.” Kwangsu growled quietly before stomping away toward the gathering of Alpha’s and Betas to the left of the course opening. Kibum shrugged before looking toward the house. He rather liked his little mate standing up to his brother.

------

              When Jinki came down the steps he jogged over to Kibum, laying his head into his lap, and making happy noises when Kibum ran his hand over his ears. The old, metal medallion that had been hanging over the edge of his seat was gently put over Jinki’s head before Kibum spoke. “You go and kick their Baby. I know you can beat my record.”

              He at his face, and Kibum knew even through his laughter that Jinki was happy. His tongue was hanging out the side of his mouth as he practically pranced over to the starting line. Then with the signal, he was off like a cream streak in the night. Kibum’s grin grew as the two minute mark ticked by and the rest of the shifted wolves dashed after him. He held his cocoa between his hands, lifting it to just before his lips and softly muttering. “Good luck catching him.”

------

              “Are you not fearful at all he’ll be hurt, son?”

              Kibum slowly shifted his gaze from the exit of the course to his father across the fire. “I’m more fearful of the harm to Kwangsu’s ego more than anything.”

              “So you’re sure he won’t be caught?”

              He gave his Father a short nod, a smile forming on his lips. “I can barely catch him on a good day. He’ll be fine.”

              Both of his parents just hummed, a mix of acceptance and discontent. He rolled his eyes before sipping his drink once again. There was a small part of him that was worried about Jinki, but it wasn’t because he wasn’t completely supportive and trusting in him. He worried about Jinki when he had to walk to work at the Post office in the middle of the busiest part of the city. He worried about him when he missed their lunch time break call for he always managed to make that call no matter what.

              He almost wanted to laugh thinking about how he would have reacted to this when he and Jinki first started dating. At twenty one, he had been overconfident with a head full of his pack’s ideals. Jinki had took one look at him, promptly told him that this wasn’t going to work like that, and as he walked away Kibum realized he was falling in love and he needed to change. Jinki was stubborn, witty, and had a problem with authority. He hadn’t taken what he called ‘Alpha bull’ then and he hadn’t since. Sure, it had been almost seven years since Kibum had left this place and he knew people changed with age, but he also knew the change for the better in him was mostly because of Jinki. Twenty one year old him would have laughed along with his brother when Jinki suggested participating.

              He could feel him getting closer, the sheer rush of excitement and glee through their bond, and it made him feel lighter. He glanced at his phone in the cupholder of the chair, clicking the button on the side to see the time. Ten minutes had passed. Jinki had two and a half left to beat his record. He did laugh a little when he realized he would have been pissed before, but now with the very likely possibility all he felt was a huge amount of pride. “Something funny, Son?”

              “Just thinking, Ma.” Kibum grinned at his mother. Then he felt the stirring in his chest and he whipped his head toward the exit of the course once again. A moment later Jinki bound out of the foliage, slowly down to a light jog before shaking, eyes finding him. Kibum stopped the time and beamed from ear to ear as he moved from his seat quickly, kneeling as Jinki came over. He ran his hands over his ears, “You did it. By almost a minute and a half.”

              In response Jinki wiggled his ears and yipped quietly, moving to circle him, rubbing against him. Then he moved toward the house, stopping up the few steps to look back. Kibum laughed quietly before rising and following. He could hear the howls of the other wolves coming up behind him, but he didn’t look back as he stepped over the back door threshold and walked toward the guest bedroom. Jinki was already shifted back, medal resting on the bed as he fought to put his sock on while standing.

              He squeaked quietly as Kibum wrapped his arm around him, cupping his cheek with the other to kiss him. There was a soft smile on his face, even if his brows were lifted in question. “What was that for?”

              “You’re amazing.”

              “Mm,” Jinki tapped a few fingers on Kibum’s chest, looking up through his lashes as he smiled, “Maybe you should react to my awesomeness more often.”

              “Quite so.” Kibum nodded seriously before taking Jinki’s head between his hands and pressing light, fast kisses all over his face, causing the man to giggle. He didn’t try to move away though and as Kibum pulled away all he could do is grin.

              “If we stay in here much longer, your brother is going to storm in here to see me in my underwear and one sock.”

              “And we can’t have that, can we?” Kibum sighed dramatically before placing his hand over the small bump of Jinki’s stomach and kissing his jaw. “I’ll be outside waiting, Baby.”

              As he made it to the door, he turned around to see Jinki holding his sweater, smiling, “Can you make me that s’more, now?”

              “I’ll have it ready.” He shut the door behind him softly, chuckling with a shake of his head, and heading back out of the house.

------