Chapter 5

Wet Paint

 

 

“Hey! Watch where you’re painting!” I yelled, slapping Jjong’s hand away from my arm. “My god, that’s like the fourth time you’ve done that.” I muttered rubbing at my arm to get the paint off.

“Oh, come on – my paint job is amazing!” I lidded my eyes and smirked at him.

“Jjong, you’ve gotten more paint on me than the wall.” He stuck his tongue out at me, and started to paint again. I smiled. We’ve been in here painting for about an hour, and I’m happy to say, it feels just like old times. I’m completely normal around him again. Maybe it’s because his stupidity had brought out my diva-mode. Either way, I like it like this. Hopefully my feelings won’t change our friendship. I love him, but I’m happy to stay just his best friend.

“Hey, Kibum.” I turned face head to look at him, then glared as I felt his paint brush poke my cheek.

“Seriously? What are you four?” he grinned some stupid- grin then moved the paint brush to my nose, painted there, and then to my other cheek.

“Having fun?” I asked dully. He nodded, concentrating on his work. I didn’t move, I just let him get it out of his system.

“There, all done. Want to see?” I shook my head.

“I’m good thanks, I’d rather just finish painting.” He pouted.

“You liked Dara’s paint job.” He murmured softly. I giggled.

“Dara’s a better painter than you.” I took my brush and swiped it over his nose. “C’mon, let’s get back to work, if we actually paint the wall at all, we might finish today!” I smiled at him and turned back to the nearly-finished wall.

“You should go wash off your face before the paint dries.” He said in monotone. I looked at him with a weird expression but did as I was told. I moved over to the sink and stared into the mirror for a few seconds. He had written ‘Love, J’ on my forehead, and cat whiskers on my cheeks, and a dot on my nose.

“Well, don’t I look pretty.” I teased as I splashed water on my face and scrubbed away the pink paint with a hand towel. I stopped and look at the towel. “That’s not going to come out, is it?” I sighed. How many articles of clothing and houseware have I ruined now? I was still staring at the towel when I felt a pair of hands on my hips. I jumped slightly and looked up into the mirror. Jjong was standing behind me, expression relatively blank, watching me.

“Can I help you?” I asked turning my head back to actually look at him. He moved his head to rest on my shoulder. I turned my head back to look in the mirror at us. I kept my expression even, but I was actually really happy with what I saw in the mirror. I let a small smile touch my lips.

“Kibum, are you dating Dara?” I looked at him through the mirror and shook my head.

“No. No we’re not dating, why?” I asked calmly.

“Well, you just seem to be closer than I thought.” He moved away and leaned against the counter.

“No, it just seems that way because I’m a guy and she’s a girl. But we’re just like normal best friends. Like you and me.” I copied his action and leaned against the counter, bringing me down to his eye level.

“Oh.” I smiled.

“Yeah, don’t worry, if I ever started dating someone I’d tell you guys.” I changed my expression in a dull stare. “Unlike someone who didn’t tell us until a few weeks before the press found out.” He looked away towards the mirror.

“Never going to let that go, eh?” I smiled and shook my head.

“Nope.”

“And don’t let your ego go there Kibum, I’m not worried. I know you would. I was just wondering.” My smile faltered slightly.

“You could lie you know. Spoil me for once, let me think you give a rat’s about how I feel.” I muttered, laying the sarcasm on think.

“What do you mean? Of course I care how you feel.” I rolled my eyes.

“Too late Jjong.” I turned and gave him a fake smile, “You’re an idiot.” I pushed myself up and walked over to a wall we hadn’t even gotten to yet.

“That wasn’t nice.”

Neither is your stupidity, and complete ignorance for how I feel. That’s what I wanted to say to say anyway.

“Sorry.” Was all I replied with instead. “How about you finish up that wall and I’ll start on this one?” He didn’t reply, but I took his silence as a yes.

“Kibum we’re close right?”

“Duh.”

“How come we don’t hang out that much anymore?” Because I can’t handle too much of you lately?

“I guess I’ve been spending a lot more of my time with Dara and Chaerin lately.” I said as I breathed out.

“Ah, right.”

“What’s with all the questions?”

“I was, uh, just making conversation.” I turned to look at him.

“Odd topic, no?” he smiled apologetically.

“Sorry.” I shook my head.

“No, it’s fine. To be honest, I’ve missed spending time with you – it’s just become… difficult lately.” He looked at me; confused. I waved my hand in front of my face dismissively.

“I just mean, the group has been really busy lately, and we’re all branching out to do different things…” And I’m hopelessly in love with you but can never tell you, so it kills me when I talk to you and I can’t say anything.

“We used to make time.” I lowered my hand and looked at him, he locked his gaze with mine.

“Yeah, we did.” I said slowly. He took a step towards me.

“I think we should make time again.” I nodded slowly. He took a few more steps.

“We could.” I said quietly. He came right up to me to the point where I had to step back, we moved backwards until I was up against the wall – thank god I hadn’t started painting from the bottom up. He leaned in until our noses were touching. My breath caught. Wait – what’s going on?

“We could make time right now,” he whispered, his breath tickling my lips. I nodded again.

“We could.”