Angel

After Forever

Seulgi sat quietly in the back of Jennie’s car, looking out the window, trying her best to find a comfortable spot in the cramped vehicle. She watched the city zoom by as Jennie recklessly weaved through traffic. The air smelled of expensive perfume and was filled with animated chatter as the four other girls caught one another up on their lives. Seulgi was fully occupied with her thoughts, the foremost of which involved wondering what Joohyun was up to right now. It would probably be a busy night for her, as Fridays always were, due to the large volume of drunk college kids that would end up in the ER. Eventually, she worked up the courage to take her phone out and send a quick text. It would be the first communication they’d had since the fight.

“To Hyun: Hey, how’s work coming?”

    As she hit send, Jisoo, who was in the seat beside her, turned to her, violet hair whipping her across the face from the force of the younger girl’s movements.

    “Seulgi, you haven’t spoken the entire time we’ve been driving. How have you been? How’s work?”

    Seulgi locked eyes with Jisoo as she looked up from her phone. Jisoo was equally as beautiful as she had been in college. The cramped nature of the car made it so that their faces were much too close, and Seulgi could feel her heart beating faster as a result.

    “I’ve been good. Teaching kids, you know, pretty easy job,” Seulgi said, turning away and looking forward at Jennie’s headrest, “Joohyun’s the one who’s got it rough. She’s a nurse.”

    “Oh come on,” Lalisa said, bending forward from behind Jisoo to look at Seulgi, “Is she all you think about?”

    “I would too, if I was hitting that.” Chaeyoung quipped from the front seat.

    Jennie remained quiet but gave her partner a pinch on the thigh accompanied by a glare.

    “Don’t make fun of her guys, they’ve been together for awhile,” Jisoo said, surprising Seulgi with the sincerity in her voice, “I wish I had someone like that.”

    “Yeah… she’s great.” Seulgi said, forcing a grin before returning to the window. She remained like this until they were about ten minutes out from the club, at which point the other girls began passing around a water bottle filled with cranberry vodka.

    “Drinks will be expensive at the club,” Jisoo explained, “And it’s kind of a pain in the to get guys to buy you them, cus then they just follow you around all night expecting to get some.”

    “They’re gonna follow you around anyway, Jisoo,” Lalisa whined, passing the bottle over to Seulgi, “They always do.”

    Seulgi took the water bottle and looked at it for moment. Despite how angry she’d been over Joohyun’s accusations, the older girl had been mostly accurate. Seulgi was not a well put-together drunk, to say the least.

    “Just take a drink,” Jisoo said, noticing the monolidded girl’s hesitance, “It’s one night.”

    “I don’t know… I might stay sober. That way, Jennie can drink instead of being DD.”

    “Nah, she has work tomorrow, she’s not gonna drink anyway,” Jisoo turned to face Seulgi fully now, a smile set on her perfectly womanly facial features as she reached out and placed her hand on Seulgi’s upper arm, “Come on. You don’t have to get drunk. And even if you do, I’ll take care of you. You know I’m good at that.”

    Seulgi smiled back, reminiscing on all the times Jisoo had literally carried her out of parties back in college. She then took a long drink from the bottle. The alcohol splashed down , creating a long trail of burning that ran from her esophagus all the way down to her stomach. Chaeyoung cheered and clapped at Seulgi’s wanton consumption of the vodka.

***

    When they arrived at the club, it was exactly what Seulgi had expected. The music was far too loud, the lights were far too bright, and the people were far too sweaty and packed together. However, the vodka was in full effect; to Seulgi, this was the perfect environment. She vibed with the music immediately, abandoning her friends and disappearing into the crowd of dancers at the center of the floor.

    From there, the night became a blur. The intensity of Seulgi’s dancing and the form-fitting dress she wore attracted much attention, mostly from men, though they were all quickly shut down by the black-haired girl’s lack of interest in them. Eventually, Jisoo was able to locate her and bring her more drinks, which led to the two girls began dancing together. Seulgi marveled at her former partner’s intricate, involved moves, a stark contrast from the awkward, out-of-rhythm dancing of the younger Jisoo. The more she drank, the better everything became; she forgot about all of her worries as she sweated away on the dancefloor. At a point, Jisoo was whisked away from her by an auburn-haired apparition (she found out later this was Lalisa) and Seulgi was alone again. She didn’t care. The night was young, the music was amazing, and her head was swimming. It felt as if she were a college kid again, with little to no responsibilities, no bills to pay, no girlfriend.

    That final thought brought her out of her drunken haze for a moment, and she felt a long thread of cold, wicked guilt sliding through her intestines. Seulgi took this time to walk to the bar, ordering a margarita and sitting at one of the unoccupied stools. She pulled her phone out of her pocket to check for a response from Joohyun, drunkenly cursing herself as she realized that she’d run out of battery.

    “Hey,” a familiar voice called from beside her, “What are you doing here? Go out there and have fun.”

    Seulgi looked up to find Jennie, arms locked firmly with a clearly inebriated Chaeyoung as if she were trying to prevent her girlfriend from running away.

    “Yeah, go dance, Seulgi!” Chaeyoung said, her words slurring, “You looked so good out there!”

    Jennie rolled her eyes and pulled Chaeyoung a bit closer to her.

    “I’m just taking a quick break. I was gonna text Joohyun, but my phone’s dead…”

    “Oh, I can charge it for you!” Jennie offered, “I’m taking Rosie back to my car so she can lay down for a bit. In case you haven’t noticed, she’s had way too much to drink.”

    Chaeyoung confirmed her girlfriend’s statement with a wide, unaware grin.

    “Thanks, but I think I’ll just charge it on the way home,” Seulgi said, slipping her phone back into her pocket, “I guess I’ll meet you guys out at the car whenever Jisoo and Lisa do.”

    “Uhh… that might be a problem,” Jennie said, holding back laughter, “They went into the bathroom together ten minutes ago and they haven’t come out. Anyway, just meet us at the car around two-ish. Hopefully those two are done by then.”

    Seulgi watched Chaeyoung and Jennie depart, lost in her thoughts again. She was pleasantly surprised that she didn’t really care that Jisoo was hooking up with Lalisa. In fact, she was happy for them; Lalisa had always had a crush on Jisoo, and she hoped this was the beginning of a relationship. All Seulgi wanted now was to see Joohyun, to apologize for being so brash, to get down on her knees and beg for forgiveness, to promise never to say something like that to her ever again.

    Seulgi finished her drink, slid the payment to the bartender, and proceeded to stand up. She wanted to leave. She had to leave. She would go home, wait for Joohyun to come home, and apologize. She would walk if she had to.

    As Seulgi was walking past the dance floor, she noticed something. Not something, but someone. Someone that was probably just another face in the crowd to anyone else. But to Seulgi, this someone stood out. She was a petite someone, wearing a short white dress that extenuated her curvy physique, her full, milky thighs flashing alluringly each time she lifted one of her legs. A someone with wavy blonde hair that fell to the center of her back, wavy blonde hair that cascaded around her as she danced, so carefree and full of life. Her chubby, hamster-like cheeks were glistening with sweat as she continued her captivating act. She possessed dark, alluring eyes that seemed to capture all of Seulgi’s attention, flashing radiantly as the strobe lights fell on them. Seulgi found herself entranced by this girl, unable to continue moving, a slave to her seductive performance. This someone evoked a feeling in Seulgi that she’d never felt before. It didn’t feel like she was watching a human dance. It felt like she was watching an angel.

And then, they made eye contact.

    It was as if Seulgi had been shocked. As if someone had taken her out of the world she knew and threw her into a new world, a world filled with delight and heat and hedonism, a world where nothing mattered but pleasure. The girl looked away before Seulgi did, but she kept glancing back, a smile beginning to work its way onto her lips. If Seulgi wasn’t mistaken, if the alcohol wasn’t making her think irrationally, she could have sworn that the girl was moving closer to her, dancing in a more open way now, as if she were inviting the black-haired girl into her marvelous world.

    Maybe it was how exhausted she was, maybe it was the shots she'd taken earlier, maybe it was the flashing overhead lights, maybe it was the immense heat. It didn't matter. All Seulgi knew was that the petite girl dancing in front of her, the one that would look over at her every so often, was nothing short of heavenly. Who was she? Seulgi had to find out.

----------------

LAST UPDATE THIS WEEK, I REALLY REALLY SWEAR THIS TIME. Lol, I managed to finish my studying earlier so I started writing, intending on doing maybe just a little bit, and I ended up actually doing like 2 and a half chapters. But, I feel like I'm updating this fic too often and it'll prob get annoying so I really promise this time that this is the last one this week. Gotta say, I'm really into this story. It's a nice break from the long, detail-heavy chapters in the demondaysau stuff.

Thanks for reading, and enjoy<3