CHAPTER 5

BEHIND THIS MASK

 

 I wonder how Mireu is doing at her 1st day of college. I hope she had met new friends today. I better call her later just to make sure she hadn’t gone into any trouble. I better call Seobie. I bet she had gotten her Enrollment Certificate by this time. I hope she hadn’t ignored a lot of people on the way to IAUS.

 

Cheun Ah dialed Seobie’s number. She waited for her to answer but the toned turned busy. She put her phone down when she didn’t answer for the 2nd time. She must still be at the Registrar’s Office by now.

The coffee shop’s chime rang, indicating that a customer had just entered. She was working at the coffee shop that day since she has no class for the week yet. A guy with black sunglasses went straight to the counter to get his order. He was tall and filled at the right places. He exudes this very manly aura.

“Good morning Sir, what are you having today?” She was wearing an unusual friendly smile she uses at the coffee shop. She does it for professional use only. She doesn’t really smile around others besides her sisters.

He removed his sunglasses that revealed calm looking eyes that seem to hide a lot of things. He looked at her intently then averted his gaze at once. She felt really uncomfortable yet it felt right at the same time but ignored the feeling.

“I’ll have 2 cappuccino and 2 slices of blueberry cheesecake please.” He placed his orders and started walking to an empty table.

 

As she gave out the order, she looked back at the guy and examined him. He was wearing a black leather jacket with a plain white shirt inside. He wore a ragged styled denims and black boots. He looks like he just came from a men’s magazine.

She looks really pretty. I thinks she's new. I bet she doesn’t know me yet.

Byunghee walked over to the counter when he saw his orders being placed in the paper bag. He went over and leaned on the counter.

“Is it okay if I ask for your name?”

"Why? I don’t think its part of my job.”

“Don’t get me wrong lady. I just want to thank you for getting my order. Mind you, the waiters are wearing their nameplates and you should too. That one is part of your job.”

"Okay then Sir, now you can leave. You already have your order. There is no need of you nagging me around. If I don’t want to wear my nameplate, it’s not your problem anymore.”

No one talks back to me like that!Byunghee, keep calm!she’ll know her place later. Talk normally.

“Don’t you know the saying that “the customer is always right”? Now, if you want to keep your job here, you better start acting nice. You don’t want to lose your job, do you?”

Cheun Ah was about to answer back when the manager came out from his office.

             

“Omo! Byunghee-hyung, what brought you here? I thought I’m still in-charge until next week?” Joon, the manager, talked to the guy as if they knew each other (which they do).

“It was better that I went back earlier. You see, I ran into a little problem. This pretty lady here wasn’t wearing her nameplate. She even scolded me that it isn’t my problem anymore.”

Cheun Ah looked at Byunghee for quite a long time, internalizing the conversation between the manager and the guy.

Something isn’t right here. Wait, why is he talking like that? As if, as if he… Oh no! ANDWAE! He’s the owner?!

“I see that you finally realized the situation. So Ms. Park” He looked at the nameplate she placed beside the cash register.

                 

“You’re fired.”