Broken Wings

HAPPY HAKYEON DAY CELEBRATION

16.  Broken Wings
20. Breaking the rules


Falling in love was against the rules. Falling in love with a human was definitely against the rules.  The duty of an angel is clearly defined as being a messenger of God. Nothing more. Nothing less. There hadn’t been a question to the system in thousands of years, well before Hakyeon was created. The fall of Lucifer was more of an urban legend with rare sightings, like the Yeti or the Loch Ness Monster in Earth.

Angels have free will but no will to be free. The story of Lucifer and his fallen demons seems like a legend created to scare the rest of the angels into submission to follow the rules. They have free will but no will to be free.

Hakyeon was expelled for breaking the rules. He delivered a message to a human and he fell in love. She was asleep, his assignment to talk to her in her dreams. He could see into her mind, see her struggles, see why she needed something from God. She was lost in her journey through life, standing before a road with too many forks to choose from. She needed a nudge, an inkling of what her destiny truly was with too much temptation to stray. Darkness surrounded her, workings of Lucifer (or so his training said). She was drowning under what was next for her.

He could see into her soul. He could see the was she thought about the world, the way she put people first, the way she fought for what she believed in. He could see that even in her darkest, most trying times, her heart never hardened. She loved first. Even in her sins, she always loved first.

It’s why God sent him to her, to talk to her, to remind her that she’s never alone. Hakyeon was selfish and fell in love with her. His wings were broken and clipped. He was expelled. He fell in love with a human so now he must live as a human.

He had free will and a will to be free. He wasn’t bound by rules that kept his purpose defined. He wasn’t bound by being in the presence of humans as a hope or a memory, not believed in by most. He wasn’t bound by fantastical myths or scared by legends among his own kind. He wasn’t an outcast of the divine creations—he walked with the most loved creations, could talk to them, befriend them, fall in love with the woman who needed connection instead of a dream.

She was more beautiful awake than she was asleep. Her laugh was sweeter than the music he heard in Heaven. Her smile was more beautiful than the Spirit. He knew what burdened her heart and she still put on a brave face for the ones who needed her more than she needed to heal.

“Hi, welcome Coffee Lab cafe. What can I order for you?” Her hair was messy, pulled back into a pony tail. Her eyelashes were defined by simple mascara. Her lips were touched with a faint red. Hakyeon couldn’t help but smile with her.

“What would you recommend?”

“My personal favorite is the French Vanilla latte. It’s vanilla and hazelnut syrups with espresso. I usually order it with coconut milk. It’s Heavenly.”

“Is it?” He can’t help but to be taken by her words.

“It’s what I imagine the sounds of Heaven to taste like.”

“Make it exactly how you would for yourself. I would love to taste divinity.”


A/N— this is going to become something bigger... I feel it.