01/03

Home
Please log in to read the full chapter

HAPPY N DAY!

****

 

“Bye! See you guys on Monday!”

 

Cha Hakyeon bid his subordinates goodbye as he separated from them at the bus station; they usually took the subway home. He’s the manager of his company’s marketing team and is well-loved for his friendliness and encouraging nature towards his team members. While he has a car, he preferred to use public transport on some days.

 

He didn’t live very far away from his workplace, only about a 30-minute bus ride. Hopping off the bus at his designated station, Hakyeon pulled his coat tighter around himself and happily made his way to an eatery he frequents in the neighbourhood.

 

“Hello, ahjumma!” he greeted.

 

“Aigoo, Hakyeonnie is here,” the elder lady smiled, “what do you feel like having today?”

 

Since it was a Friday, Hakyeon lingered a little longer than usual, spending time chatting with the friendly owner. It was close to 11PM when he finally started making his way home. The roads were quiet and except for the convenience store, every other shop was already closed. Hakyeon hummed one of his favourite songs as he strolled to his apartment complex. When he passed by one of the dark alleys, however, some noises caught his attention. Hakyeon halted his steps and focused on the noises, wondering if he had hallucinated them. A particularly loud cry confirmed his suspicions. He carefully back stepped to the alley, hand reaching for his phone in his pocket to use as a source of light.

 

He wasn’t prepared for the sight that greeted him.

 

“Oh my gosh…” Hakyeon breathed.

 

Hidden away in the dark alley is a young woman, clothes dirty and tattered. But that wasn’t all. The young woman had a thickly wrapped bundle in her arms – her baby.

 

“Oh gosh,” Hakyeon hurriedly took off his coat and wrapped it around the woman, “what happened? Why are you out here like that? Do you need me to help you get home?”

 

The woman held her baby closer to her and tried to back away from Hakyeon. Her eyes were wide with fear and tears were falling from them like a waterfall.

 

“I’m sorry, I think I scared you,” he backed away a little, “but I’m not a bad person. I want to help you. Do you think you can tell me where you live?”

 

The woman remained silent.

 

Hakyeon sighed and nodded, “it’s okay. I’ll call the police and they’ll be able to help you, okay?”

 

Before he could reach for his phone, however, the young mother grabbed his arm. Hakyeon noticed how cold her hand was. When he looked at her, she was shaking her head frantically, telling him not to alert the police.

 

“Okay, I got it. No police,” he patted her hand reassuringly, “the hospital at least? I don’t know how long you’ve been out here, it’s freezing. You and your baby need some warmth.”

 

The grip on his arm didn’t loosen as the woman shook her head once more, more tears falling from her eyes.

 

Hakyeon sighed again. She was probably too afraid to go to the police or the hospital, he reasoned. With only one option left, he hoped she would agree. He really didn’t want to leave her and her baby like that in the dark, cold, alley.

 

“I need you to believe that I really am trying to help you,” Hakyeon spoke in the most calming manner he could, “please don’t freak out at what I’m going to say next, okay?”

 

The woman searched his eyes, as if trying to find lies in them. She seemingly calmed down after confirming his words were true and nodded.

 

“I live just nearby. Do you want to come home with me? I really can’t leave you and your baby out here like this.”

 

Again her eyes watered as she stared at Hakyeon. He thought she took his words the wrong way. He picked up his phone from the ground and punched in the numbers for the police before turning to the young woman.

 

“Then my only option is to call the police, I’m sorry.”

 

He was about to press the dial button when the device was snatched from him.

 

“I…I will go with you…”

 

Hakyeon’s eyes widened when she spoke; he had thought she couldn’t. Hakyeon stared into her eyes for confirmation, letting out a relieved sigh when she nodded. With trembling hands, the woman returned Hakyeon’s phone to him.

 

“Come on, let’s get you up,” he moved to help the young mother stand, only noticing the big bag she had with her when she made a move to retrieve it off the ground.

 

He hurriedly caught her when she stumbled. Her grip around her baby tightened. Hakyeon took a peek into the bundle and found the little human sound asleep.

 

“Can you walk? It’s not very far from here, about 10 minutes.”

 

The woman nodded, but her body spoke otherwise. She could barely keep herself in an upright position. Hakyeon held her by her shoulders and moved in front of her, looking into her eyes with sincerity as he spoke.

 

“You’re too weak to keep walking. If you would allow me to hold your baby, I will carry you on my back. Do you think you can do that?”

 

Reluctance was etched in her eyes, but she knew there was no other choice. She nodded. Hakyeon slowly stretched his arms out, patiently waiting for her to place the baby in his arms. When she finally did, Hakyeon smiled.

 

“I will keep him safe, don’t worry,” he assured, then carefully maneuvered himself into a kneeling position, “here, get on.”

 

Hakyeon sensed her hesitance as she placed herself on his back. He slightly turned his head towards her.

 

“I’m gonna need you to hook your legs around my waist and circle your arms around my neck to keep yourself from falling.”

 

The young woman did as told. Hakyeon steadily got up from the kneeling position and started on the way back to his apartment. The 10-minute walk was quiet; Hakyeon figured she was probably not up for any form of small talk. He went around the building to enter by the back entrance, as the security guard on night shift would be at the main lobby by this hour. He wanted to avoid questions.

 

“Can you please press ‘10’?” he asked; both his arms were secured around the little bundle, “thank you.”

 

They entered the apartment with the help of the woman on Hakyeon’s back, who keyed in the passcode to the door. Hakyeon switched the heater on immediately upon entering.

 

“It’ll be warm really soon,” he told her while lowering his stance to let her slip off his back.

 

She nodded, her eyes going to her baby in his arms. He noticed, and handed her child back to her.

 

“Please, take a seat. I’ll make you something warm to drink.”

 

Hakyeon left her on the sofa and went into the kitchen. While waiting for the water to boil, he grabbed his phone to send a text.

 

Do you have time to come over tomorrow?
It’s rather urgent.
Bring along your equipment too.
An adult and a baby, not more than 5 months old.

 

Okay.

 

Thanks.

 

When he returned to the living room, the woman was staring at her baby, tears rolling down her face again.

 

“Here,” Hakyeon set the mug filled with hot chocolate on the coffee table.

 

“Thank you…”

 

“I don’t think I’ve introduced myself. I’m Cha Hakyeon. Can I ask your name?”

 

“…Han Soyoung…”

 

“Nice to meet you, Soyoung-sshi,” he smiled, “is it warm enough? For you and your baby?”

 

Soyoung nodded, “thank you…”

 

Hakyeon had a million questions in his head, but he figured that could wait.

 

“I think it’s better for you to change out of those wet clothes. Do you have extra clothes in the bag?” he pointed to the duffle bag sitting by the side of the sofa.

 

Soyoung shook her head, “it’s all baby clothes…”

 

“Wait here, I’ll be right back.”

 

Hakyeon hurried down the hallway to his room and rummaged through his wardrobe. He managed to find some old clothes he had outgrown, hoping that it would at least fit Soyoung. He returned to the living room with the clothes in hand.

 

“They might be too loose for you, but these are the smallest clothes I could find in my wardrobe,” he handed Soyoung the clothes, who accepted with slightly trembling hands, “Feel free to take a shower. The heater’s been on for a while so the water should be warm by now. Bathroom is the second door on the left.”

 

Soyoung nodded and handed him her child, now knowing that he was really sincere about helping her. Once the bathroom door clicked shut and the water started running, Hakyeon turned his attention to the bag. True to Soyoung’s words, the bag was filled with baby clothes and some extra diapers. It appeared to be packed in a hurry.

 

Did she run away from somewhere?

 

Shrugging away the thought, Hakyeon picked a new set of clothes and proceeded to help the child change. Handling infants wasn’t a problem for him as he has three elder siblings whose kids he watched grow up.

 

Thankfully, the baby’s body temperature felt normal. Hakyeon found out that it’s a baby boy as he was changing his diaper.

 

“I wonder what your name is, little one,” he smiled.

 

He picked a lighter blanket to wrap the baby with, as the heater was already switched on. The sound of the bathroom door unlocking caught his attention. Soyoung stepped out, hair wet and her own clothes bunched up in her hands.

 

“I changed your baby,” Hakyeon showed the little human to her, “he’s a really deep sleeper, didn’t even wake up at all!”

 

Soyoung seemed to be surprised that he even bothered to take care of her child, “th-thank you…”

 

Hakyeon chuckled, “that’s the third time you’re thanking me already. Relax, you don’t have to be so formal with me!”

 

Soyoung lowered her gaze to the ground and nodded, her grip on her clothes tightening.

 

“Here, give me your clothes,” he held the baby in one arm and reached out the other, “it’s laundry day tomorrow.”

 

After placing Soyoung’s and the baby’s clothes in the laundry basket, Hakyeon showed her to the guestroom.

 

“You must be really tired. Get some sleep. I’ll see you both in the morning, okay?”

 

----

 

Hakyeon was up bright and early, and was in the kitchen making breakfast. He wasn’t one to sleep in, even on weekends. Earlier that morning, he had gone out to the 24-hour supermarket to get some necessities for Soyoung and her child, as well as some ingredients for cooking. He wasn’t the best cook, but he sufficed.

 

I’ll come by at 12.
Got an appointment at the hospital to attend to first.

 

No probs.
See ya!

 

It was about 10AM when Soyoung emerged from the guest room.

 

“Good morning!” Hakyeon greeted, then noticing her baby was awake, “oh! Somebody’s awake!”

 

Soyoung bowed her head; she looked lost, not knowing what to do or where to go.

 

“Come here, breakfast’s ready!” he called her over, “I bought formula milk for the little guy too!”

 

Her eyes widened at his words. Hakyeon noticed her reaction and smiled.

 

“Can’t let him starve, can we? You sit here and eat up, okay? I’ll make him his food. And don’t worry, I’m quite a pro,” he grinned.

 

He fed the baby while Soyoung ate, her eyes following his every action. Hakyeon didn’t mind, knowing that anyone would be overprotective about their child in a virtual stranger’s arms.

 

“What’s his name?” he asked.

 

“Han Sanghyuk…I call him Hyukkie…”

 

“That’s really cute,” Hakyeon cooed, “hello Hyukkie! I’m Hakyeon samchon!”

 

Please log in to read the full chapter