Six

Safe Haven
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

After minutes of sobbing and hugging, Taeyeon finally takes a step back to look at the girl who had been missing for thirteen days. 

She had become much thinner and paler over these two weeks. She looks almost sick. Taeyeon thinks that Hyoyeon would snap in half if come strong winds. Other than that, the baby bump. Taeyeon finds herself smiling a little. 

"You're going to be a mummy, huh?" Taeyeon laughs in between sobs. 

The end of Hyoyeon's lips lift up. "Yeah," she murmurs. "I guess I am." 

Taeyeon takes her hand and pulls her onto the couch. She sees how scared Hyoyeon is and hugs her again. "It's okay. It'll be fine. We're here with you." 

She feels Hyoyeon nod against her shoulder. "Tae...you know why I did this, right?" 

"I do. I understand. You don't have to say anything." 

"I'm sorry for worrying you guys," Hyoyeon apologises, guilt thick in her voice. Taeyeon shakes her head. 

"You don't have to aplogise for anything. None of that was your fault." 

"B-but that night," Hyoyeon begins to tremble and Taeyeon knows what she's thinking about. "If-if only I didn't drink so much that night, I coul-could have ran away. I'm so sorry, Taetae." 

"Stop. You got drunk, yes, but you did nnot ask for it. So stop apologising. It's not your place to." 

Hyoyeon swallows. She's still shaking. Her dark eyes shadowed and she seemed faraway, to some place Taeyeon and everyone else could not reach. Is this what Hyoyeon's aunt meant when she said she's worried for Hyoyeon's mental health? 

Just then, Hyoyeon's aunt calls them for dinner. Taeyeon realises the sun has set already. Hyoyeon seemed to startle back into present time. She stood up and offered a hand. 

"Will you stay tonight?" She asks. 

Taeyeon doesn't even hesitate. She sends a quick text to Joohyun, telling her that she would be spending the night at her parents' place. 

                                                        / 

Hyoyeon had given her a change of clothes and Taeyeon emerges from the shower, hair still wet. She sees Hyoyeon resting on the bed, hand caressing her growing belly and eyes staring out of the window. 

Taeyeon crawls next to her on the bed. "Almost five months now," she says. Hyoyeon nods. Taeyeon remembers the ultrasound she kept in her pocket and pulls it out. 

"Here," she hands it to the blonde. "The doctor passed it to me." 

"I was wondering where it went," Hyoyeon smiles. She the blurry white figure. "It's a boy, did you know that?" 

"No," Taeyeon says, grinning. "Congrats, Mummy." 

Hyoyeon laughs and then quietens down. "My aunt told me not to abort it even though I wanted to," she explains and Taeyeon listens. "She said the baby will help me recover. Just focus on raising him well." 

"I agree with her," Taeyeon says slowly. Worry clouds Hyoyeon's face again. "The company will understand, the fans too, I believe. Everything will be okay, Hyo." 

Hyoyeon forces on a smile. "I hope so." 

Taeyeon squeezes her hand. Hyoyeon sighs and lets her head rest on her leader's shoulder. It feels sturdy and strong; reliable. Taeyeon plays with her fading blonde hair. 

"The girls really miss you," she says quietly. Hyoyeon sits up. She looks sad and her lips part. 

"Do you want to see them?" 

It's a small action, but Taeyeon catches it: a falter in her smile, the gripping of bedspreads and the slight pause in her breathing. 

"I-I do want to see them but..."

"Not now, maybe," Taeyeon quickly says. "In a while would be a good time."

Hyoyeon ducks her head. "Jessica h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter