First Encounters

100 Day Contract

Chapter 1

Tssssss…. The sizzling of food cooking is music to the ears.

Tsssss…. The beautiful sound of putting delicious black bean sauce, potatoes, and onions.

Rumble… My stomach growled as I smelled the scent of the food.

 

What is this place? It’s my uncle’s Chinese Restaurant -- right next to Korean University -- Jjiajiang Village.

 

“Two bowls of jjajiang myun please.”

“Got it!”

 

Today, uncle was working happily as usual. As I watched uncle working, I noticed how gray his hair was getting and how much hair he had lost. I felt my heart aching. I thought of how much he had put into raising us and tears started to form in my eyes.

 

“Bomi, here’s the Jjiajiang myun and tangsuyuk, please go deliver it.” Uncle smiled and asked me.

 

Afraid that the tears in my eyes will fall out, I only nodded my head.

 

It’s the fifth year that Jjiajiang Village has been operating. I, Yoon Bomi, my uncle, and my brother Jongjin live in an apartment near here. My parents left me and my brother 10 years ago in a car accident. After that, my uncle raised us all by himself. In these hard 10 years, uncle put in all his blood sweat and tears for us. Even though uncle is constantly looking at the account books and sighing, he’d smile everytime he saw us. Thinking of uncle like this, I felt myself crying again. Even if I spent my whole life trying to pay him back, I’d never be able to pay back for all the love and care he’s given us. Even though we’re not rich, uncle still found ways for me to attend my second year at Korean University.

 

I carefully placed the jjiajiang myun into the metal delivery box and got on my small motorcycle. Five years ago, since the restaurant started operating, I’ve stayed in the position of delivery girl. In order to help uncle out with the restaurant, I learned how to ride a motorcycle.

 

I checked the address again to make sure [Modern Apartments 315].

 

Modern Apartments… This is where the rich kids live… I stopped the motorcycle, grabbed the metal delivery box and walked into the building carefully.

 

*Ding DongI*

“Who is it?” A girl’s voice called out.

Bomi: “Delivery!”

 

A gorgeous girl who looked like a model walked out. But why does she look so familiar? Is she a student at my school?

Wahhh she’s so pretty!!! I almost said aloud.

 

Girl: “Honey! Did you call for food delivery?”

 

After hearing her voice twice, I finally remembered who she was. She’s Kim Seolhyun, the freshmen girl every guy at Korean University fawns over.

 

Guy: “Oh! I was hungry so I ordered.”

 

Hmm… This person also seems familiar… AH! It’s the hottie who’s always with Kim Seolhyun… Choi Taejoon! Wow, both of them look so perfect. So they live here!

 

Seolhyun: “But I was going to cook for you” she pouted.

Taejoon: “But won’t you be tired then? Calling delivery is so much easier.”

Seolhyun: “But I wanted to~”

Taejoon: “I’d rather have convenience then see you working so hard and getting tired.”

 

I got goosebumps just looking at them. But I also looked at them in envy watching this scene in front of me as someone who’s never had a boyfriend. (TT) In order not to make uncle disappointed, I’ve put all my effort into studying and getting the scholarship.

 

As I was thinking, Seolhyun took the delivery box from my hand and went inside.

 

Taejoon: “How much?”

 

I broke out of my daze.

 

Bomi: “Ahh… 18000 won.”

Taejoon: “Take it!”

Bomi: “Ahh… Let me see if I have enough change for that…”

Taejoon: “Don’t worry about it. It seems like Ahjussi doesn’t have it easy. Take it and go.” He smiled.

 

Not easy? Ah.. is it because of my puffy eyes from tearing up?

AHJUSSI??? My face suddenly turned bright red.

 

Bomi: “No give me a second. I’ll give you your change.”

Taejoon: “I said it’s fine. I don’t have time for change. Just take it.”

Seolhyun (inside the room): “Honey! What are you doing? Come on, the food’s getting cold.”

Taejoon: “I’ll be right there!”

 

As I stood there in shock, he handed me the delivery box and closed the door in my face. As I held the 100000 won bill in my hand, I don’t know why but I felt like a pabo… like a beggar… Even though he hurt my pride and I didn’t want to be looked down upon, I didn’t have the guts to press the doorbell again. All I heard was Seolhyun and Taejoon’s laughing coming from inside the door.

 

“Hmmph… you guys are something aren’t you. 10,0000 won is nothing to you guys of course… Fine! I’ll take it.” I said to myself as I rode the elevator down.

 

This was the start of our many encounters…

 

-The next day-

 

After finishing class, I stood outside and looked around for my friend Jung Eunji. Not only did I not find her, I almost came face to face with Jung Ilhoon…

 

Jung Ilhoon -- the first boy who’s ever told me he liked me. This guy’s got quite a unique taste… A strange boy who’s been trying to talk to me since Freshman year. He doesn’t seem to find me unattractive and even asked me out. I don’t know how, but after finding out that I told Eunji that I’d rather become a female monk than go out with him, he kept his distance. Though I feel a little bad, but it can’t be helped. I don’t want to give him non-existent hope… so now, the atmosphere between us is very awkward.

 

Just then I heard footsteps running towards me and Eunji’s hard breathing. I scrunched up my face and complained: “Why are you so late~ I’ve been waiting for so long~”

Eunji: “Sorry, sorry, had to stop and talk to the professor for a while, so…”

Bomi: “If you’re sorry, you pay for lunch!”

Eunji: *sigh* “Of course, of course you pig”

 

// In the cafeteria//

 

Eunji: “Hey Bomi, I have a funny story to tell you.” Eunji’s face was radiant, but because of the long wait and the almost encounter, I continued to look at her with an upset look.

Bomi: “What?”

Eunji: “HAHAHA, Jung Ilhoon said he wants to go out with me! Is he going crazy?? HAHAHA!”

 

My originally blank face changed. Jung Ilhoon? Jung Ilhoon doesn’t like me anymore?? Oh my god! Thank you so much! I immediately smiled and said to Eunji: “Really?! That’s awesome!”

Eunji: “Awesome? You pabo! What’s awesome about that? You don’t like him so you…”

Bomi: “No, not dislike… He’s just not my type.”

Eunji: “Fine fine, relationships have nothing to do with you. But no matter what, there is no way I’m interested in Ilhoon. He obviously likes you.”

Bomi: “ That was all in the past.”

 

The next moment as I took a bite of curry, Eunji’s eyes lit up. I look and there was Kim Seolhyun and Choi Taejoon.

 

Eunji: “So jealous…”

Bomi: “Same…”

Eunji: “You know them too? The perfect couple.”

Bomi: “Perfect couple?”

Eunji: “Yeah. The best couple of our major. Kim Seolhyun and Choi Taejoon. They seriously look like they’ve been carved to perfection…”

Bomi: “Yeah…”

Eunji: “And what about Choi Taejoon’s competitor Pyo Jihoon? Both are sons of big companies and both are smart and have good tempers! Ah… Kim Seolhyun’s so lucky…”

Bomi: “Of course…”

Eunji: “Ah! Since we’re talking about this let’s go on a blind date! My friend already set up a thing with another university. Let’s go!”

Bomi: “But…”

Eunji: “You’re gonna ditch me again aren’t you? You look you want to escape. You’re at the perfect age and you don’t even have a boyfriend.”

 

Looking at Eunji’s smirk my pride swelled. I slammed my hands on the table and yelled: “Fine, I’ll go!”

Eunji: “Haha, Yes! Yoon Bomi, I’ll message you the time and locations!”

 

Eunji quickly finished her curry and left without me.

 

That night in the kitchen, I looked at uncle from afar. He was frying dumpling for me after my food deliveries. He looked up and smiled at me. Ah, the sadness from the bottom of my heart rose back up and I felt my eyes getting wet… What’s wrong with my tear ducts…

 

Bomi: “Uncle! Let me do it!”

Uncle: “Your cooking skills aren’t as good as mine!”

Bomi: “But uncle’s probably already tired, I can do it!”

Part time worker: “Bomi noona, someone wants delivery. 5 orders of tangsuyuk.”

Uncle: “5 servings of tangsuyuk? Who would order 5 orders of tangsuyuk at such a late hour?”

 

Uncle immediately went to work, happy that he’d be able to make a little more money.

I felt annoyed thinking of the fact that I had to deliver again, but then I looked at how happy uncle looked and immediately felt ashamed of my selfishness.

 

Uncle: “Bomi, thank you.”

 

I got on my motorcycle and rode to the address [Modern Apartments 315]. The address looked really familiar. Ah! It’s Choi Taejoon and Kim Seolhyun’s house (even though I’m not sure who’s house it is.)

 

The two of them sure eat a lot…

 

*Ding Dong*

 

Everything seemed the same as yesterday. Except today I didn’t hear any goosebump inducing laughs.

 

Taejoon: “Come in.”

 

I stepped inside and placed the delivery box on ground. Inside, everything seemed very empty. I felt like a ghost was choking me… This definitely wasn’t the right atmosphere. As I thought, Choi Taejoon walked over with his wallet but looked completely worn out.

 

I opened the delivery box without a word and put the 5 orders of tangsuyuk on the floor. At that moment…

 

Taejoon: “Seolhyun…”

I looked up confused. Where was Seolhyun?

Taejoon: “Seolhyun… Seolhyun…”

 

Choi Taejoon stared up at the ceiling. It was clear that Seolhyun was not in the room. His weird behavior made me feel very uncomfortable and a little scared.

 

Taejoon: “Seolhyun… You… How could you do this to me… Is that guy better than me? Stronger than me?”

 

His voice was unstable and his body seemed like it was losing balance.

 

What was wrong with this person? I wanted to take the money and leave immediately. I carefuly asked him: “Ummm… Money…”

 

Taejoon looked at me and threw his wallet on the floor.

Taejoon: “Take it all!”

 

Was he crazy? I gotta get out of here.

 

Bomi: “you see…”

Taejoon: “Take it all! Take it! There’s no use. I don’t want money, give me Seolhyun back! Pyo Jihoon you bastard… Seolhyun…”

 

I stood there and thought it was probably pointless talking to him. I wasn’t a thief, so I took the exact amount for his order and left with him standing there.

 

I guess there was no perfect human being. Such an attractive person, but a little crazy in the head. But what does this have to do with Pyo Jihoon? He seems like someone who got dumped. Could it be… But they were so close yesterday…

 

I thought it wasn’t very possible… But who would’ve thought… I guessed correctly…

 

//The next day//

 

Today I was waiting as usual for Eunji. This pabo’s late again.

She ran up looking dumb but I know she’s smarter than anyone I know. She plays around and still manages to snag them scholarships, while I’ve gotta work my off to get it. This world is unfair~

 

Eunji: “Hehe quick smile! It’s your first date today!”

 

That’s true… My face turned into an awkward smile and I tried to look like as if nothing was wrong. But honestly… Because of this blind date thing I wasn’t able to sleep at all last night… Hey… It’s my first date…

 

Eunji: “4 o’clock in the coffee store across from campus. Don’t forget!”
I nodded. “Of course I won’t forget.”

Eunji smirked… “Ahh… what to do… I want someone like Pyo Jihoon… Ah! Did you hear! Kim Seolhyun dumped Choi Taejoon and is going out with Pyo Jihoon now! Damn… Seolhyun definitely someone… She was fooling around with Choi Taejoon yesterday.”

Bomi: “Dumped? Choi Taejoon?” The memories from last night came back to my head and suddenly everything made sense. No wonder Choi Taejoon acted like that…”

Eunji: “Anyways dress prettily when you come. OK Bomi? Since it’s your first date, go to a salon and get your hair done! Your hair looks like straw…

Bomi: “As if I don’t know what my hair looks like. But do you know how expensive it is to get your hair done at a salon? Jung Eunji are you even my friend?”

 

Since I work everyday at my uncle’s restaurant, I had to make sure someone could take over for me. My brother, Yoon Jongjin was a senior in high school. It wasn’t possible for him to be there everyday, but today, I made him.

 

I got home and started preparing for my date. Shower. Brush hair. But the hair was all curly… It was impossible to comb through. Since it was curly already… Why not curl it more? Make them natural curls? I got my hair curler and started doing it streaks at a time. But… Ah! Such failure… My hair turned into 80’s… no.. 70’s lion hair! Oh my god!

 

After much experimenting, I went with a loose red shirt and a black skirt with black stockings. Too late to back out now…

 

I took a deep breath as I walked in. I saw a group of girls and guys in the back corner and an empty seat that I guess was mine. As I walked closer, I was able to have a better look at the people there.

 

One very round looking guy (never seen him before, probably from the other college), a girl who was dressed very… colorfully, a girl who looked very friendly (Jung Eunji sat across from her looking very FEMININE) and … wait… what? Jung Ilhoon! I didn’t know he was gonna be here. Eunji didn’t say anything about that.

 

Everyone was looking at me with a smile. Wait that wasn’t a smile… Everyone’s staring made me very uncomfortable. Eunji looked me up and down and looked away no longer wanting to be there. Sorry I’m not that into fashion…

 

I continued skimming through the guys in the group until… Are you kidding! Is that KChoi Taejoon sitting there? Yesterday he was all “Seolhyun, Seolhyun” and now he’s here on a blind date…?

 

He looked me over too from head to toe and smirked. Did I look THAT strange??

 

I looked around awkwardly and sat in front of the only empty seat in front of Choi Taejoon.

 

He blankly looked at me at first but then started snickering. I tried to maintain a nonchalant face trying not to care about the fact that he’s laughing at me.

 

The round guy broke the silence: “OK… For a simple self introduction. Let’s decide on our dates by drawing names!

The girl across from him: “Sounds good! My name is…”

Choi Taejoon stood up looking very impatient. “Ah I can’t take it!”
Round guy: “Hey what are you doing! If you leave then there won’t be an even number of people!”

Taejoon: “Is that so… hmmm…” He looked around and pointed at me. “You, let’s go.”

Every girl at the table looked at me enviously and I was somehow nervous as heck. If Eunji hadn’t glared at me and motioned for me to follow him I would’ve just continued to sit there.

 

After walking out of the cafe:

Taejoon: “Let’s each go our own ways now.”

This was my first date!... (TT)

Bomi: “Why’d you pick me?”

Taejoon: “Honestly I didn’t want to come to this today but my friend dragged me here anyways saying there weren’t enough people. Anyways nice to meet you and in the future if we see each other we can say hi.”

As he was about to leave I asked one more time, “Why’d you pick me?”

He smirked, “You look like a bomb. I was just trying to keep everyone else safe.”

He turned around and left and my first date turned into a disaster.