☁︎ 001.

marshmallows in the heavy rain

A light drizzle began to fall from the sky, and for some reason, a wave of peace and relaxation encompassed Jongup. It never really crossed his mind why the rain comforted him, but for some reason, it had been that way since he was young. Jongup looked out of the apartment window, now decorated with the faint streaks of water, and he watched the citizens rushing towards the shelter to hide from the delicate drops of rain.

Jongup readied himself to leave the house. If anything, walking down the streets to visit the nearby cafe during a rainy day is the only thing that could top his love for sleeping. He loved the slight touch of the rain as it hit his back every time his umbrella swayed with the wind, and he enjoyed how the cool breeze combed through his hair when he walked in the opposite direction of the wind.

Just like any other rainy day, he made his way down the usual street, his worn out shoes squelching as he walked on. As familiar as the neighbourhood was to Jongup, so were the people that he had slowly came to recognise after seeing them a few times coincidentally. Besides the old couple that ran the mini mart outside his apartment, the all-too-familiar cheesy couple were yet there again, at the end of the streets.

After noticing them for the first time three months ago, Jongup managed to figure out their Sunday date timing — 12 in the afternoon she would show up in the neighbourhood, and at around 8 in the evening, the male would always send her to the bus stop with a few smooches on her lips. Not that he was paying much attention to them, but sometimes the cringe-worthy exchanges that they shared was just too loud to ignore. But for some reason, today was different.

The heavy atmosphere could be seen, no, felt even as Jongup walked passed the two. Their usual cheerful demeanours that he witnessed before were replaced with seriousness that made Jongup avert his gaze from them unwillingly. Resisting the urge to satisfy his curiosity, Jongup marched on, distracting himself with what he was going to buy at the cafe. 

---

The drizzle from before took its turn into a pouring rain, and the loud patter of rain drops against the thick glass panes of the cafe sounded over the soft music in the cafe. Jongup sat himself by the bar tables lined against the windows, his fingers tapping absentmindedly against his mug to the rhythm of a song in his head. His lost focus was soon regained when the earlier couple came into his sight again.

She was walking before him, an arm crossed over her chest while the other held an umbrella and although her expression couldn't be seen, Jongup was guessing that she was mad. It was the first time he saw them not share an umbrella. He had seen them arguing around the neighbourhood before, but this was the first time they never made up after an argument. Or at least, the first time that he witnessed and so, with the knowledge from the dramas he came across at times, Jongup concluded that the two had broken up.

It could have been a far-fetch, but from how the girl snatched the flowery umbrella away from his hand and stalked up the bus without looking back once, it seemed like a likely conclusion. It was none of his business, really, but Jongup couldn't help but scoff when she took away the poor guy's umbrella even though it was probably hers, too. If there was anything like a nosy prize around, Jongup would admittedly be a strong contestant. He watched the male linger around the bus stop, and as the bus drove around the corner, Jongup saw his shoulders slump as he slowly made his way across the road, and towards the cafe.

The glass door opened along with the soft jingling of the bell, and Jongup fought against his will to keep his eyes looking forward. He couldn't have another person notice his staring, not when he doesn't have an excuse to give if he gets confronted again. As the male made his way to order, Jongup could see him from the reflection before him. Beside his girlfriend, or possibly an ex now, the male did not look much taller than she was. But now that he was standing there by himself, he looked tall, maybe even taller than Jongup, who wasn't that tall himself to begin with. 

To the delight of Jongup's nosiness, the male sat at the table diagonally behind him, giving Jongup a splendid view to continue his own little analysis. His jet black hair fell over his brows and his cat-like eyes were downcast upon the mug that he hand in his hands. His lips were slightly quivering, and as Jongup squinted at the reflection, he saw the other slightly shivering in his own seat, as the cold air from the air conditioner hit his drenched body.

To give or not to give, that was the question that ran through Jongup's mind as he weighed out the masculinity of what he wanted to do. For a man as small as he is, Jongup took pride in his actions that portrayed manliness. But in that moment when he saw someone he knew dying from the coldness, exaggerated in his own little mind, was masculinity that important? Mustering up as much courage as he could, Jongup set down his empty mug, and he approached the other.

His house was just a few blocks away, he could do this. Masculinity wasn't important. Jongup stood by the other and as the shivering male failed to notice him, Jongup took his chance and placed the messily folded jacket and umbrella on the male's table, turning and walking away so quickly that the other missed his face.

All he saw was the back of a male with messy cobalt blue hair walking into the rain.