| BEFORE DAYLIGHT

Dear Sunshine

 

It was funny, really; Park Yeseul could have anything in the world except for the one thing she wanted the most.

She had been born as the daughter of a rich bussinessman, a fact that she liked because that meant she could buy anything she wanted and go anywhere she desired. Despite what some people might think, her father doted on her. Very much so. And even though she had a sibling, a genius and unbelievably attractive older brother by the name of Park Jimin, she had been loved as if she was an only child.

She took advantage of that fact. Perhaps a bit too much.

“I‘m hooooome!” The front door opened loudly, the sound echoing throughout the large hall. “Oppa, where are you? I know you’re not sick!” Yeseul yelled out, her expression twisting into an annoyed one. She ran up the stairs impatiently. “Jimin-oppa! Where are you?!”

Park Jimin was reaching for the sixteenth sheet of tissue to relieve his runny nose when his bedroom door slammed open, revealing the person he loved and hated at the same time. His younger sister, Park Yeseul. Also known as the ‘Spoiled Brat’ and ‘Young Mistress’ of the house.

“Aww, Yeseul! Can’t you spare me for just one day?!” Jimin complained, burying his nose in the tissue. Yeseul flinched when he snorted his life away. He really did seem sick after all.

“Do you know what Yoongi-oppa said to me today?” Yeseul bounced around the room animatedly, ignoring the annoyed glare she received from Jimin.

Jimin sneezed and sighed, knowing that she would not go away before she tells him what Min Yoongi said in detail, “Do elaborate.”

Yeseul squealed like a lovesick teenager - which, actually, she was, - and prepared herself to scream it out to her brother, “He said ‘take care of yourself now that your brother is sick’! He’s worried about me!” She grinned widely, remembering the past events, “He looked so serious and all! He really is worried~” She sighed dreamily, unaware of the disgusted stare Jimin shot her.

“I shouldn’t have invited Yoongi to the house.”

Yeseul slapped his arm instinctively. “Oppa, don’t be so mean to your younger sister!”

Before Jimin could retort sarcastically, Yeseul had already exited the room, singing her heart out. Jimin let out a tired sigh and sneezed once more. He shouldn’t have walked around with wet clothes after swimming. Influenza was killing him.

Meanwhile, Yeseul was already in her room, giggling while typing a text to Yoongi.

To: Yoongi-oppa <3
Oppa, are you home yet~?

Yeseul had known Yoongi since her middle school days. She was, and always had been, the popular and charming young miss. On the other hand, Yoongi was a handsome and mysterious stranger, appearing only briefly during lunch breaks. He was also a man of few words, only speaking when it was necessary. At first, Yeseul tried to befriend him by asking him questions on how to solve equations (something that she could have done easily) and asking for his help on science homeworks. Surprisingly, Min Yoongi was kind and warm. That was when intrigue turned to attraction. Then, somewhere in between middle school, attraction turned to love.

Her bedroom door was suddenly opened. Yeseul turned her head and saw a smirking Jimin with a red nose.

...Well, that was rare.

“What do you want?” She raised an eyebrow, wanting to go back to her phone.

“Oh, dear sister, you’ll never guess.” Jimin leaned against the doorframe, a smirk still plastered on his face.

“Do elaborate.” Yeseul rolled her eyes, making the older guy laugh.

“Why, dear sister,” Jimin stopped mid-sentence to sneeze, “You are engaged.”

A pregnant silence plagued the two. It was broken when Yeseul finally roared in laughter, clutching her stomach. When she calmed down, she wiped a tear from her eye, chuckling. “Good one, oppa. Very funny.” She turned to see Jimin with a serious expression.

Damn it all to hell.

At first, Yeseul couldn’t believe it. How could she? Was she supposed to believe that she suddenly got engaged to someone she doesn’t even know? That coward couldn’t even tell it to me face to face! Yeseul thought in disbelief. Her disbelief turned into anger soon enough, though. Her father engaged her to someone. In other words, her father sold her off.

She ignored the nervous look Jimin shot her and stormed out the house.

The staffs of the famous Park Company was used to seeing Park Yeseul, the charming, witty, and bright daughter of the Chairman. Polite to everyone she met, but still had a powerful aura around her, and most importantly, an owner of a smile which brightness could rival the sun. So imagine how surprised they were when the Park Yeseul walked inside the building with a hurried pace, a displeased scowl plastered on her face and her expression mixed in anger and disappointment.

Mostly anger.

Yeseul stomped towards the receptionist desk. “Where is appa?”

The female receptionist trembled at her harsh tone, her voice caught in .

“His office, Miss Park.” A male voice interjected just before she could snap at the poor woman. Yeseul glanced sharply at her father’s trusted right hand man, Kim Namjoon, a genius who didn’t finish college and became successful at a young age of twenty two — her annoyingly intellectual friend.

She huffed and walked past him. “Stay out of it, oppa.” She warned, glaring at him.

Namjoon merely sighed in reply. He already knew about the engagement. The person selected to be Yeseul’s fiancé was Kim Taehyung, the sole heir to an equally powerful company. Somehow, they had convinced the Chairman to do the engagement. He found it rather odd. Because the one who wanted it badly was no other than Taehyung himself.

Appa, what-”

“Yeseul-ah.” Chairman Park rose from his seat, a pleasant smile on his face. “You’re here.”

Yeseul scoffed. “And you just engaged me to a guy I don’t even know.”

The old man sighed and walked towards her, straightening his tie. He stopped and leaned against his desk when Yeseul threw a glare his way. “Yeseul-ah, you must understand the reason why I did it. You’re already so big now,” He smiled proudly as Yeseul’s frown faltered, “but you have no attraction in males whatsoever. You know, you will soon reach the appropriate age to inherit the company.”

Appa, I don’t need a guy to run a company.” Yeseul crossed her arms defensively.

“Of course you don’t.” The Chairman placed both of his hands on her shoulders. “But I want you to have a partner. An ally. A companion. To listen to your problems and accompany you.” Yeseul couldn’t stay angry at her father for long because of exactly this; he would always have a reason for everything. “Only then will I be able to truly rest in peace.” He concluded.

Yeseul casted her gaze at the ground.

“Yeseul-ah.” That made Yeseul look up. “Will you try to see if he is really the one for you? If he isn’t, I can call it off anytime.”

She finally gave in. “I will, appa.

 


 

a/n: oh my, the idea for this story was really sudden!! i just had to turn it into a real story because i rarely get good ideas or actually any ideas at all! i’m also thinking of a historical au! though, so be prepared for another story too hahaha- if you enjoyed, please subscribe, upvote, and leave a comment! by the way, in the story, i made jimin as old as taehyung for story purposes c: