If My Greed

The Time Given to Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I want your sweater.”

Nayoung and Minkyung both look up from their food at Jieqiong.

Kyungwon's eyes light up, “I'll send you the link. I think it's still on sale.”

“No way.”

“Uh, yeah probably? It said til the end of this week. Here. Minkyung, scoot over. Let me show you.”

Minkyung shoots Kyungwon a horrified look but doesn’t budge.

Kyungwon sighs, waves her chopsticks, “Move, fatso.”

“I'm not-”

“Yeah, you're not. Now, move. You're in the way.”

“Oh no, I can-” Jieqiong makes to stand.

“You. Sit,” Kyungwon says seriously, chopsticks swinging around to point at Jieqiong, “I'm not about to make Nayoung-unnie move. Now, Kim Minkyung. Move or else.”

Minkyung pouts but gets up, “Fine, I see how it is.”

Jieqiong smiles apologetically and it is almost cute enough for Minkyung to forgive her. But not even close for her to forgive Kyungwon. That would take a lot more. She glowers at Kyungwon who literally just flips her hair. Ugh.

“Oh, I got this belt from there too. I guess I didn't look at the sweaters. Have you seen these-” Jieqiong reaches over, almost leaning on Kyungwon, types on the phone, “shoes?”

Minkyung and Nayoung exchange a look when Kyungwon practically lights up, nodding frantically, “I've been eying the navy ones.”

“I like the white better but it'd be navy after for me.”

Jieqiong and Kyungwon look at each other like they’ve never seen another human being in their lives. Minkyung crunches into a radish. Audibly.

“Girl,” Kyungwon beams, “we need to go shopping. Or you need to come over and we can go internet shopping. Same thing.”

Jieqiong's smile is blinding.

Are you awake?

Yes.

Oh good. Her. Number.

Would it hurt you to say please?

It's already hurting my pride that I have to ask you for it. Kyungwon wouldn't give it to me. Something about betraying friends. As if we haven't been friends since middle school.

C'mon, Nayoung, don't be a spoilsport. I swear I'm not gonna do anything dumb.

…given what you've done before…

That was one time. We promised to not talk about it ever again. Have I let you down after that?

Do you want me to answer that question honestly?

Narong, please? Please, please, please, please? You can imagine my face right now. I know you can. Please?

That face.

Yes. That face. Please Narong? You know I won't leak it or anything dumb like that.

I know you won't.

Then? Please? I'll buy you dinner.

Dinner.

And lunch. And two more dinners. And I'll even get my friends to go to your parents’ restaurant. They write food blogs.

…that's bribery.

Well, is it working?

010-7321-1216

I love you, Narong. I hope you know that. When do you want your dinners?

…it's fine.

I'll still send the food bloggers.

Ok.

I know you're smiling. Can't fool me.

It's 3am, Minkyung. Go to sleep.

My mission is accomplished so I will. G'night unnie~

Night. Don’t do anything I wouldn’t do. Please?

A knock on Nayoung's door and she gets up, crosses the room.

“Uh,” Jieqiong says, “So I think they gave me extra rice. Uhm.”

Nayoung blinks the sleep out of her eyes. It's midday. She must have slept in. Oh well, they're not busy anyway, and Jieqiong can get to PT or pilates on her own so… The word rice registers in Nayoung's head. Jieqiong chews on her lower lip.

“Want lunch?”

Nayoung nods blearily, recognizing the smell of soup, follows Jieqiong’s smile out to the kitchen table.

There is a single portion of soup and two bowls of rice and all the plastic packaging that comes with ordering delivery.

“Extra rice,” Nayoung says as she sits down.

Jieqiong's look turns sheepish, “Uhm.”

Nayoung picks up her spoon, “You ordered rice.”

“Well, it said soup on the menu and I haven't ordered delivery in a really long time and I wasn't sure if there would be rice - well I thought there wouldn't be rice so I kind of just ordered it because more rice is better than no rice and we don't actually have rice at home?”

Nayoung raises her eyebrows.

“It didn’t say, ok.”

Nayoung giggles.

Jieqiong pouts, picks up her glass, “It's not that funny.”

“It's not funny,” Nayoung hears herself say, “It's kind of cute.”

Jieqiong splutters into her tea, turns red.

Nayoung shrugs, “I bet the delivery person was pretty confused.”

Jieqiong turns even redder.

“But thanks for the food.”

Sungyeon, help.

Good morning to you too.

It’s 3pm but that’s not the point. Help.

Did no one tell you that just saying ‘Hi’ is a complete waste of time and that you should also include what you want to ask in the first text so that the person you’re chatting with can decide if they want to spend the time right now to respond to you? Or ‘Help’ in this case? Like you could be dying and I wouldn’t know where to send the police.

...no one’s said this to me before?

Well. I guess I don’t know why I expected you to know that. Whatever. What did you do now?

I didn’t do anything. I need help. What do I wear?

Woman, firstly, how would I know? Where are you going? What is this occasion? Who are you meeting? Secondly, really, why do you think I’d give good advice? I haven’t seen your wardrobe in five years and that 2 minute glimpse I got while you were offering me pajama pants most certainly doesn’t count.

I’m going to Nayoung’s friend’s place. We’re going shopping. I think. Or internet shopping. I don’t know.

Ok.

What does ok mean?

Ok means continue. Continue.

...there’s nothing to continue. That’s it.

That’s it? Then just wear whatever you usually wear to go shopping. Like comfortable shoes. Or maybe not comfortable shoes. Your heels might be made of steel. I don’t know. Also something nice so you can go into fancy places but not too nice that you can’t try on clothes? You’re really barking up the wrong tree. I don’t really go shopping where you go shopping. I kind of don’t go shopping.

You’re not helpi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter