Birthday surprise!

Cake Day

The two boys approached the door of the house, juggling bags of groceries, and falling over their own feet in their rush to get to the house in time. 
“Hold this.”Daehyun his bag at the younger man. 
“Really hyung? I am already carrying 2 bags.” Jongup somehow managed to balance the bag on top of his own and waited while the other reached up to grab the key from it’s hiding place on top of the door.
As soon as the door was open Daehyun started to waltz his way into the house. “YA! Hyung didn’t you forget something?” Dae spun on the spot somewhat gracefully and reached through the door and grabbed the top bag with one hand and Jongup’s sleeve with the other. “Hurry up we don’t have a lot of time.”
The two boys walked into the kitchen and put the bags on the table. “How much time do we have?” Daehyun looked at his watch. 
“A few hours.”
“We better get started then. I’ll grab the bowl and stuff and you bring the ingredients.” Jongup started opening doors and pulling out bowls and measuring cups and spoons as Daehyun pranced his way back to the table and started digging through the bags until he found the flour. “AHA!” He yelled flourishing the flour like a trophy. 
“STOP IT DAEHYUN!”Jongup yelled at his friend. “Waving the flour everywhere is spilling so much and we won’t have time to go buy more.” Daehyun paused in his mad dancing around the kitchen. “Sorry, I am just so excited to bake this cake.”
He placed the flour on the bench next to Jongup and went to the table to continue grabbing ingredients. It took all of 2 minutes for him to be dancing around the kitchen again. “DAE!” Jongup carefully grabbed the stuff in Dae’s hands shaking his head. “I’ll take care of this. You light the oven.” He turned back to the cupboard and proceeded to measure flour out of the bag with a cup. His concentration was so high that his tongue could be seen sticking out of the corner of his mouth. Methodically adding ingredients to the bowl before finally grabbing a wooden spoon and stirring vigorously. 
Dae bounced up to him bumping his arm and causing a splatter over the benchtop. “Is it done? Is it ready?” He stuck his finger into the mixture. 
“Dae I swear on all that’s good in this world I will break you if you keep eating the batter.”
Jongup swatted at Dae’s hands, and poured the cake mix into the pan. He handed Dae the bowl “Here you can the bowl.” Dae grabbed the bowl with enthusiasm. “Just like the child you are.” He muttered under his breath. He carried the pan to the oven and gently placed it in. “Hyung set an alarm. We need to check the cake in 35 minutes.” He turned around to see Daehyun with his head in the bowl, no sign of his face showing. Shaking his head he moved to his hyung and fished his phone out of his pocket and set an alarm. Taking the bowl off of his face Dae looked at Jongup and smiled. “This batter was the best. You did well Uppie.”
“Thanks Daehyun Hyung.” The sarcasm was lost on the older as he buried his head back in the bowl. “Hyung how about you go start setting up the decorations and I’ll clean the kitchen?”
“Oh good point.” He the almost spotless bowl in his direction and raced to grab a bag from the table and head to the living area.
Jongup looked at the bowl and then after his hyung and shook his head with fondness. He loved his friend but some days he had the maturity of a toddler. He placed the bowl in the sink and the taps.

Half an hour later and Daehyun came rushing back into the kitchen screaming “TIME TO CHECK THE CAKE!”
Jongup hung the towel he had just finished using and walked to the oven. “Is it ready? Is it ready? Can we decorate it now?”
“Hyung please, I don’t want to burn either of us. Stand back.” Dae moved away from the oven and stood bouncing on the balls of his feet.
Jongup cautiously removed the cake pan from the oven and placed it on a pot holder on the bench. Dae peered over his shoulder. “Ooo Looks good.” 
“While it cools let’s finish decorating.”
The pair proceeded to the living area where it looked like Daehyun had done nothing but spread decorations around the floor. “I’ve planned where everything should go.” Jongup nodded and moved to the pile closest to him. “I’ll blow up the balloons and you hang the banner.”
The pair worked for awhile in silence until Dae started humming softly as he worked. Jongup joined in and before long the two had most of the balloons and decorations hung. Leaving Dae to finish the decorating Jongup walked back to the kitchen. Carefully separating the cake from the pan Jongup put it on the cooling rack. Going to the table he pulled out the confectioners sugar and butter and placed them on the counter. He danced to the fridge and grabbed the milk. Spinning his way back across the floor, he stopped just short of the bench and smiled at his own actions. Putting the milk next to the rest of the frosting ingredients he reached back into the cupboard and grabbed the measuring cups and spoons and a bowl again. Once more as he measured his tongue peeked out the side of his mouth. He mixed and dripped milk into the mixture until the consistency was perfect. Adding just the right amount of colouring he turned the frosting the perfect shade. He had just finished when Dae wandered into the kitchen. “Just in time. We need to decorate now.” He transferred the cake to the cake stand as Dae grabbed the cake ornaments. “This can’t be too hard. We baked the cake and the videos on cake decorating all looked easy right?”
They stood back and looked at the cake sitting there, before looking at each other. “WE CAN DO THIS.” They approached the bench like two warriors going into battle. Determination etched on their faces. Uppie grabbed the spatula and Dae moved the cake closer to them.
 
20 minutes later and the cake was .. iced .. after a fashion. Dae placed the last decoration with great precision. Then glanced at his watch. “OH .. hurry. We’re out of time. One last touch in the living room.” He raced back to the other room as Jongup picked up the cake stand and gently started carrying it after the older man. He reached the living room as the key turned in the front door. “Quick Dae!” He shouted causing the other man to grab the bag he was holding and make it explode glitter and confetti into the air. Jongup ducked momentarily forgetting he had hold of the cake and it slipped. Dae stretched his hands out and managed to stop it from falling on to the floor but coating himself and his hands in icing mixture.
“What the?” The men turned to face the door sheepishly.
“HAPPY BIRTHDAY NOONA!” They cheered. Starlight stood back in shock her eyes drifting across the gently raining glitter and streamers to the boys smiling grand eye smiles as if they had just accomplished the impossible and holding up their birthday gift to her. She looked from the rather worse for wear green cake with toy Matokis falling off the side, to the men sitting on the floor, one covered in green frosting and the other with red sparkly glitter in his hair. 
“We love you Noona.”