Way Out

Way Out

Rock, paper, scissors!

It was rock against paper and Mark let out a defeated sigh.

“Yes!” Donghyuck did a little victory dance to celebrate his win.

The winner basically got to navigate the entire team out the camp site in the forest. With a map. And Mark is honestly very worried and concerned that Donghyuck will be the one to lead them out. Renjun and Jeno were pretty indifferent due to the fact that they’re probably bound to be lost in the forest with no help at all. Taeyong hyung somehow thought it was a good idea to send the 4 older Dream boys out for camping to “strengthen their bond and to really connect with nature”. Mark absolutely saw no point in camping as he could use this time to really polish his writing skills.

“Alright, let’s see here.” Donghyuck breathed as he examined the map carefully. In an instant, Mark knew Donghyuck had no idea how to make use of a map. He frowned, worried that they wouldn’t be able to get out of the forest in time for their manager to pick them up.

“Hyuck, I actually know how to read a map. Give it to me.” Mark said, reaching out to take the map when Donghyuck quickly stepped away from his reach.

“Hey, I won the game! So I get the map.” Donghyuck replied, turning the map the other way.

Oh my God, he’s not even looking at it the right side up.

“Come on, guys. We have 2 hours to get out of here. I’m dying to get a good bath.” Jeno said with Renjun’s agreement.

Donghyuck puffed his chest, patting it twice. “Don’t worry boys! My superior navigation skills will lead us out in no time.”

Mark shook his head, sighing. Looks like it’ll be a long time before Renjun and Jeno get that bath they want.

 

 

Their journey was pretty smooth in the beginning, with Mark constantly peeking at the map behind Donghyuck’s shoulder to make sure they’re on the right path. Renjun and Jeno were chatting animatedly behind them, blindly following Donghyuck’s lead.

Maybe he isn’t that bad after all.

Mark thinks as he began to relax his tense shoulders, slowly falling in step with Renjun and Jeno, joining in their conversation.

“Take a left, everyone!” Donghyuck said and they all took a left.

“Now, right!”

“Be careful, it’s a downhill!”

“Now, we go right! And then left!”

The directions keep coming until Mark realized something wasn’t right. And apparently Jeno picked up on it too.

“Um Hyuck, do you know where we’re going?” Jeno asked, looking around him with a concerned gaze.

“Of course I do!” Donghyuck answered confidently, continuing the journey.

“So why have we passed that tree five times?” Mark sighed, pointing at the tree in front of them.

“And how the hell would you know that? All trees are the same.” Donghyuck turned around to roll his eyes at Mark.

“Please, I’ve seen enough to even count the number of leaves.” Mark retorted.

“Hyuck, I think you should pass the map to Mark hyung. At this rate we’ll be putting another night in here.” Renjun suggested, looking up at the sky which is already beginning to show signs of getting dark.

“Yeah I agree, it’s almost 2 hours and I don’t think we’re half way out yet.” Jeno added but Donghyuck wasn’t having any of it.

“Is this how much of confidence you guys have in me? I’m hurt.” Donghyuck said, frowning.

Before Mark could say anything else, Renjun being the nice boy he is, agreed to let Donghyuck lead the way out again. Mark slumped his shoulders and complied.

*

“Did we come through here before?” Renjun asked worriedly.

“I think we did.” Jeno replied.

“Keep moving boys, we’ll be out soon.” Donghyuck announced, confidence still apparent in his voice.

*

“Okay, now I’m certain we’ve been through here before.” Renjun said, panic now clearly etched on his face.

“I did say we shouldn’t give him the map.” Mark sighed. If only he had took the map away from Donghyuck earlier they would’ve gotten out of here already.

“I can hear you guys, you know?” Donghyuck said, now exasperated.

“I know.” Mark replied.

*

Half an hour later and Mark is about to explode. They’ve literally been walking around in circles and Jeno really needed his bath this very second.

“Okay it was amusing at first but now, it’s just annoying. Give me the map, Hyuck.” Mark said, walking towards Donghyuck a few steps away.

“No, I know–” Donghyuck started before Mark cut him off.

“We’ve been through here five times already.” Mark snapped, snatching the map away from Donghyuck, who’s too tired to retaliate.

Mark took a good look at the map, easily deciding on a fast route to get them out of the forest. In half an hour, the boys were out and Donghyuck was shocked.

“How the hell did you do that? I swear I was following the map.”

Mark rolled his eyes. “We would’ve reached the dorm all cleaned up by now if only I led the way.”

“Stop fighting you guys, let’s just get home already.” Renjun said, always the peacemaker between the four.

“Hyung!” Jeno shouted, waving excitedly at their manager and already running towards the car. Three hours of continuous hiking left their feet aching and drenched with sweat.

Donghyuck looked so miserable that Mark faltered, putting an arm around the younger boy.

“If you want I could teach you how to read a map.” Mark offered.

“Really?” Donghyuck questioned.

“Only if you stop bullying me during practice every damn time.” Mark negotiated, earning a pout from Donghyuck.

After thinking for a while, Donghyuck said with resolve. “Fine. For a week. No more than that. Got it?” He stated before jogging off to the car.

“This brat.”