Baby Bird

Maximum Effort

Chapter Two: Baby Bird

 

My brain sluggishly registered that it was time to wake up. It was exactly 4:00 AM and my stomach was trying to digest itself. Although, at the moment, the mere thought of ingesting anything was bringing up bile up my throat.

I sat up. My head felt like it was three times its size and my eyes were gritty. My stomach churned. I stood up. Whoa. The room just tilted crazily. I sat back on the bed and closed my eyes.

We had a fan meeting in Incheon scheduled at 10:00 AM. 1:00 PM An interview at the radio station there. 3:00 PM we head back to the headquarters for dance practice again. It’s going to be a VERY long day.

I got up again, ignoring my churning stomach got ready.

I heard the younger boys stirring in their room just when I was done washing up. I was shivering slightly. The room was cold when I got out of the bathroom.

The door to my bedroom opened, Jaebum already dressed was leaning against the door frame.

“You didn’t eat last night.”

“I fell asleep, sorry.” I applied my routine skincare gingerly. I didn’t look at Jaebum. I knew he would be wearing his ‘disappointed Dad’ face. “What is our theme today, hyung?”

“White. Stylist noona brought the clothes just now.” The leader answered. “Make sure you eat something before we head out.”

The fan meeting was sponsored by several clothing companies, so our wardrobe was provided as well. It was nice not having to think of what to wear.

I quickly regretted that statement when I saw the clothes our stylist chose for me. I was supposed to wear a white button up shirt with a lightweight cream cardigan and grey pants. It was going to be cold and windy in Incheon. It was already cold in Seoul right now.

“Noona, can I wear a coat insead?” I didn’t want to seem like I was complaining but I just didn’t want to be cold when we get to the fan meeting. I was already fighting the shivers and the dorm heater was on.

“Ah, sorry Jinyoung-ssi, I don’t have anything on hand right now that would match your image that was lent by the sponsors. Would you like to switch with Yugyeom-ssi’s coat? Your cardigan might be a little tight fitting on him though…” Stylist Kim pondered.

I looked at Yugyeom who was out of earshot. He seemed to like the clothes he was in. It would be selfish to switch when he was already settled into his attire.

I hoped it was going to be warm in the meeting site.

“Nah, that’s okay. I’ll wear this one.”  

“Ok, next is hair and makeup.”

*

Jinyoung’s head hit Jackson’s shoulder for the fourth time, since they got in the van. He jerked his head up again and resumed sleeping.

Jackson sighed and pulled Jinyoung’s head down on his shoulder once more.

“You’re flattening my hair.” Jinyoung grumbled, but didn’t move away.

“And you were flattening my shoulder. Just stay like this until we get to Incheon so we can both sleep.” Jackson said firmly.

In the middle section of the van, Jaebum looked back at them and his lips tightened. Concern could be read from the leader’s eyes.

Jinyoung had been acting strange since the day before. Was he troubled by something? Was there something he couldn’t tell any of the other members?

Jackson’s hand drifted down to where Jinyoung’s was and let his hand rest there. He would give him time then. He looked at JB and shook his head slightly.

Their leader nodded briefly and settled back into his seat.

*

The air was brisk when they got there. A lot of the fans were already waiting outside the venue, hoping for a glimpse of them. Their van went straight to the private car port towards the back of the building, affording them privacy from the fans.

“Jinyoung, we’re here. Wake up.” Jackson patted Jinyoung’s cheek as the others got out of the van.

“Mm.” He murmured and tried to burrow closer.

Jackson sighed.

“Wake up. We still need to get our hairs retouched again.” He pulled away from Jinyoung, which forced him to finally sit up and open his eyes. Jackson was straightening his clothes, “Did you just drool on me? I swear…”

Jackson looked up. Jinyoung’s eyes were slightly bloodshot from sleep. “Aigoo. Your eyes are red.”

Jinyoung scratched his head yawning, “I’ll just ask manager hyung for eyedrops.”

Jackson got off the van with Jinyoung behind him. Not looking at the other member, “Jinyoung, is everything okay?”

“What?”

“Do you have any problems? If you need someone to talk to…” Jackson fidgeted with the zipper of his jacket. He was waiting for the usual snarky answer.

“I appreciate it.” Jinyoung said quietly and preceded Jackson inside the building.

*

It was stupid cold. My face was hot, but my body was cold. Makeup artist noona had a hard time concealing my flushed cheeks.

I hated life at that moment. I normally did not mind interacting with fans, but for some reason, their incessant screaming drilled needles into my ears. We were seated as a panel on the stage and fans came up in a queue to speak to us.

When the fans coming to meet us were dwindling down and they were instructed to sit at the audience section my head was already pounding like a trip hammer. 

Mark was on my left and JB was on my right. I rested my head on my arm and smiled kindly at the fan that must have waited so long just to meet us. 

"Jinyoung oppa, are you okay?" She asked softly. "You look tired." At her words, I saw JB and Mark's heads swing towards me. 

"I feel better now that you're here." I replied. Standard flirty response. Cheesy, automatic and effective. 

The girl blushed like a sun ripened tomato. It never got old. At her reaction, JB shook his head and Mark smiled. I threw them off the scent for now. I really did not like it when they fussed over me. I prefer I did the fussing. Besides it was only a headache.

"Jinyoung-ah, did you eat the bread manager hyung gave you this morning for breakfast?" JB asked. 

I sighed. "I will eat it later. It might get stuck in my teeth." I said jokingly. My stomach was churning. The truth is that I did try to put some food in my stomach, but it was too busy being rebelious that I only managed to down hot tea ever since this morning. 

I put my chin on my hand and greeted the next fan. 

*

Jinyoung hasn't eaten anything since last night. Jaebum had been keeping an eye on him. Normally he would be nibbling on anything in sight. He was not really picky about food. 

When the fan interaction segment was over, and they were just talking to the audience and entertaining them, Jaebum pulled Mark to the side.

"Is this about Jinyoung?" The older member asked perceptively. 

"He hasn't eaten anything since last night. Something is wrong with him." JB muttered. "We have a long day today. It's not good if he keeps this up." 

"Jackson mentioned that he was gloomy on the way here. You think something happened?" Mark's brows furrowed in concern. 

" I am not sure. But we need to get him to eat something at least." JB's eyes met Jackson's from the opposite side of the stage. He gestured for the rapper to come closer. 

JB looked to where Jinyoung was sitting. He was smiling but it didn't reach his eyes. His elbows were on the table while his chin was on his forearms. 

"Jinyoung hasn't eaten anything since yesterday." He repeated the information to Jackson, who didn't arrive until late the night before. 

"He hasn't touched anything he was offered today." Mark added. 

Jackson looked worried at the same time exasperated. "We obviously need to get him to eat. He cannot afford to lose any more weight than he already had." 

Jinyoung recently just finished filming a drama series that was particularly taxing as it involved various underwater scenes. The members heard how hard it was to film the scenes, how much preparation and training that went in to it. When Jinyoung was done with all the filming, he lost 5 kilograms, which quite frankly, scared Jaebum. 

"Leave it to me." Jackson said resolutely. "I will feed him like a baby bird." 

"What." Mark blinked. 

"I will feed him with my own hands. Like a baby bird." Jackson explained. "He can't refuse if it is in front of the fans." 

Mark snorted. 

"Jackson. You know baby birds are fed by their mothers with their own beaks right? Like the mom chews the food and regurgitates it to the baby bird." JB pointed out, trying not to crack up at the imagery. 

"I guess he can be stubborn,  so if that's what it takes, I'm in." Mark said. 

*

Mark just slipped another strawberry in my mouth. I sighed, chewing while the fans screamed in the background. I couldn't taste the fruit, so it just felt unpleasantly like a cold, fleshy, slightly tangy texture. My throat was definitely protesting having to swallow it that took me several tries to acomplish.

I was leaning against him with my back to his side. It was a comfortable position as it kept my back warm. I tilted my head back so I was resting on his shoulder. Jackson approached us from the other side of the panel, and he was holding a platter of grapes. Where were all these fruits coming from?

Before I could ask the question, Jackson popped a grape in my mouth. After the strawberry, I didn't think I could handle another thing force fed to me. I closed my eyes. I really wanted to spit it out, but I did not want to do it in front of the fans. Through out the question and answer part of the fan meet, the members fed each other fruit and snacks, so I had no choice but to join in whenever they offered me something.

"It's good huh? Manager hyung said they were organic." Jackson said cheerfully. 

My temples squeezed as I mustered through the tangy fruit. Mark's arm came around my shoulders as if to comfort me. 

"Ah hyung." I turned slightly towards Mark. "No more food please. Can't handle it." I said under my breath so only Mark can hear. 

"Okay, okay. But you have to eat lunch after this." Mark said, as he wiped off the sweat I didn't realize was beading on my brow with his hand. 

When I opened my eyes, Jackson was back on his chair, calmly eating the grapes with Bambam and Yugyeom. 

*

Youngjae headed to the backstage restroom after the event. He heard coughing inside one of the cubicles. He was pretty sure there was only one person who preceeded him there. 

"Jinyoung hyung. Are you okay?" He called. 

"Yeah. My throat is just itchy. It was pretty cold in the venue." Jinyoung answered. 

"Really? I thought the lights would melt my makeup off." Youngjae washed his hands. 

"Ah, maybe the vent was on me." The older member got out of the stall and washed his hands as well. 

Youngjae noticed how flushed Jinyoung's cheeks were, yet he flinched a little when his hands came in contact with the cold tap water. 

"If you say so. It's gonna be hot in the station later."

Jinyoung just pinched the bridge of his nose and went to the dressing room. 

I was glad that Youngjae entered the restroom after my stomach was done upending whatever meager content it had. 

Fruit and other junk definitely tasted worse coming back up that it did going down. I rinsed my mouth as best as I could with the water bottle I brought with me, but the taste of bile was still at the back of my throat. 

"Hyung!" A loud voice broke through.

Every guy who was ever called "Hyung" in their life turned, including myself. 

Youngjae was rushing towards me with a thermos in his hand. 

"So loud, Youngjae-ah." I muttered. 

"Sorry." He smiled blithely. "Here, you told me your throat was bothering you." He handed me the thermos. 

"What is it?" Touched, I unscrewed the top.

"It's hot tea with honey, lemon and ginger." He explained. "It should help a little bit and warm you up." 

"Where did you even get this?" I put my arm around his waist and squeezed him close in appreciation.

"I asked around and the staff was helpful. My mom used to make this for me when my throat hurt. Try it!" The younger member urged.

I took a sip. 

I couldn't help but sigh, it was the first pleasant flavor I tasted all day. The mild tea, fresh lemon and sweetness of honey coated my mouth and washed away the bitter taste. The hint of ginger in it instantly warmed me all the way to my feet. I took another sip. 

"Thanks." I gave him a tighter waist hug. 

He smiled. 

End of Chapter 2

A/N: So sorry it took me so long to update, I got busy with work and life. I hope you liked this chapter, I am already working on the next one. Please leave me your feedback or comments. I am a BIG fan of GOT7, but I don't really know the specifics of their living situation, or even their exact preferences and personalities. I try to research as much as I could, but the information offered is quite limited, so please let me know if they seem out of character, or if I got some facts wrong. 

Thank you!