Pyramidion

Pyramidion

Pyramidion.


 

Hi. My name is Jung Daehyun. I am the smartest student- no wait let me start over. Greetings. I am identified as Jung Daehyun, the school’s -if not the whole nation’s- most gifted student with an exceptional intellectual, or for you normal people would refer to as; a genius. They say I'm eccentric and I could not blame them because surprise, surprise; I am.

 

Do the people around you influence you?

 

I found this to be an interesting question, so I will go ahead and contribute my absolute knowledge about this subject to this post or whatever this is.

 

I'm not one to mix in with the other students located below my student hierarchy pyramid, and evidently I am the only one belonged in the uppermost capstone, so I do not know a lot about the other kids. Don't get me wrong, I'm not an outlier; I just get it that my existence alone is intimidating so I pitied them and stayed away. I prefer to be on my own anyway. I'm fun. However, I do have a companion who is two years older than me, and hence I assumed he's smarter than these kids I call my classmates. Oh yeah, he’s also my cousin.

 

Anyhow, on to the subject, I spend most of my precious time reading, researching and studying so I have very little time to observe people. I will tell you about a couple of people though.

 

There is this one guy in my class, he is umm… how do I say this? Smart? Yeah, smart. He is smart but not my kind of smart. Just ordinary smart. Like if we were an accommodation, I'd be a five star grand hotel and he'd be a hotel. Well, at least he's a hotel, the rest of the class would just be lame guest houses and hostels with adjoining bathrooms. Urgh.

 

He always place second in class, the teachers adore him, the classmates are fond of him, and he’s kinda annoying actually, now that I think about it. I admit that I do feel threatened sometimes because often than always, we scored the same for some tests. I blame the teachers for giving us a piece of cake for a test.

He smiles a lot, not that I observe him that much. It's just that every time my gaze landed upon him, I'd see those soft pink ribbons of his lips gently tugged upwards behind the veil of his- no, what am I saying? See, the point is, he is weird because he smiles a lot. I mean, who does that.

 

He is quite small, visibly small actually. His head size is probably smaller than that of females our age. His legs, slender and curvy…...let me stop there. I'm not going to describe his pretty face or his small hands because well, I just don't want to think about it.

 

His name is Yoo Youngjae. I don't think I have ever mentioned his name, not out loud at least. Okay, I'm kidding. He's all I ever talk about, I won't shut up about him. “Yoo Youngjae this, Yoo Youngjae that” Yongguk, the older cousin I was talking about, would say. He made it sound like I have nothing better to talk about. He said I'm obsessed with Yoo Youngjae, puhhhleeeeeeease. I'm just concerned with my grades here, my whole future even.

 

Another classmate of mine that I took upon the time to observe is Im Jaebum. Nothing much about him. He's not smart, he's a clown, a flirt and annoying. I don't like him. I don't even know why I bothered noticing him. He's also coincidentally “best friends” with Yoo Youngjae. Ah, that explains how I know him, he's always SO close to Yoo Youngjae. I really don't like him though, so I'm not going to say much.

 

So anyway.

 

Does the person around you influence you? A definite yes.

 

-

 

“Daehyun ah. You dropped your uh…” he paused, observing the piece of paper folded into a strange looking origami. “You dropped this.”

 

Pftt. I know. I dropped it on purpose.

 

With the dullest expression I could ever managed, I grabbed the wrinkled paper from his small hand, slipping it neatly betwixt my forefinger and the middle one. “Yeah. Thank you, I guess.” I shrugged.

 

Yoo Youngjae beamed, neatly arranged pearls gleaming at me. “You're welcome.”

 

He swiftly turned around and jogged towards the exit, to where his friends were waiting. Im Jaebum who was leaning against the door frame gazed at my direction. He snickered and threw his arm around Yoo Youngjae before whispering something into his ear. Yoo Youngjae nudged him in the stomach and Im Jaebum raised a hand to me, before leaving with the rest of them.

 

I rolled my eyes and went back to my seat. I'm spending my lunch break in the quiet of the classroom, with just my books, my sandwiches and me. Just the way I like it.

 

Huh! He fell for my trap. That naive Yoo Youngjae actually took the time to collect this piece of garbage off the dusty floor to hand it over to me. He could've just thrown it away, or ignore it like a normal person would. But he didn't. Always pretending to be so kind and all, always smiling as if mimicking the glowing sunrise that greeted me every morning. He thinks he's all that.

 

Why I dropped this strange looking origami that inked nothing but a meaningless doodle of a random guy on purpose, you ask? No particular reason. Just wanted to check if Yoo Youngjae would pick it up, not that it matters. He could've just picked it up and keep it, pffft. Why'd he give it back? I obviously just threw it away.

 

I scrunched the paper into a ball and threw it into the bin by the door. I missed.

 

-

 

The school track meet is such a waste of my valuable time. I mean, I’m good, but running is not going to help me get a job in the future nor would it be in any way essential for my life which is why I was on the bleachers. Yoo Youngjae was wearing running attire. He’s joining again this year. He’s all for school activities. He joined the 400m sprint. Oh boy, why was I so nervous.

 

On the mark, get set, go.

 

Im Jaebum was all hyped up, he’s screaming Youngjae’s name like it’s the only word he knows. It was really annoying, he’s right in front of me! His huge was blocking my view. I wanted to see Youngjae run too; I was curious to see if he also smiles while he runs. That’ll be weird.

 

All of a sudden, the roar of crowds turn to gasps and I on instinct pushed Jaebum out of my way and ran towards the helpless body on the track field. I could hear Jaebum yelled “Hey!” as he ran towards my direction. We both kneeled down beside the small boy. “Youngjae! You okay?” he yelled.

 

He’s stupid. Does a fainted person looks k okay to him? I pushed him aside and decided to take actions myself. I carried Yoo Youngjae bridal style, determining to bring him to the infirmary. Why was I doing that? Because I’m a civilized human being, plus, I’m a very kind one.

 

-

 

I’m a hero. But why am I so nervous?

Oh my God! Did I just do that in front of the entire school? Well, not the entire, at least those who care enough to go to the track meet. But still! Yongguk was there. What is he going to make out of this? I’m crazy. I’m a hero but I’m crazy.

 

 Jaebum went to the infirmary to be with Youngjae. I hate him. He’s probably going to take credit for my heroic actions.

 

I could hear rd distinct chattering coming my way.

 

“…hahaha. I mean, he could’ve just waited for the St. John kids to take care of the first aid actions.”

 

“Stop it, JB. I think what he did is really great.”

 

“Oh come on, Youngjae. I really don’t get your stupid crush. What do you see in hi-“

 

Jaebum was cut off when he saw me sitting in my desk, facing the desk, minding my own business.

 

“Ouch ouch ouch! Okay okay, I’m sorry.”

 

I sensed someone punching someone, Yoo Youngjae punching Im Jaebum. Jaebum was making fun of me huh.

 

“Hey Daehyun.” Youngjae said, standing in front of my desk and I stood up automatically. Pathetic.  “Thanks for helping me, Jaebum told me what happened.” He made an annoyed face towards Jaebum who sniggered, and Jaebum left the classroom before yelling out, “Good luck Youngjae.”

 

“You’re welcome, I guess.” I said, shrugging.

 

“Well, okay.” He said, about to leave as well.

 

“Wait Youngjae, hmm… Have you finish yesterday’s homework?” Damn it Daehyun! What the hell?! Since when do you care?

 

“…uhh yeah. Chemistry? I did.” He said, grinning all the way to his ear, whilst taking small steps back towards my desk.

 

.“Oh okay. Great then.” So awkward.

 

It was so awkward and quiet, we both were just standing and nodding at each other. I shouldn’t have held him back. I’m so bad at socializing, I could feel my palm getting moist. I kept clearing my throat, I don’t know why. Geez, just leave already.

 

“…I’ll see you tomorrow?” He said finally.

 

“Okay.”

 

-

 

Right after what happened at the track meet yesterday, I went to the classroom because I can’t face another being. But then, after a few minutes of uninterrupted silence, it was interrupted. I heard Youngjae and Jaebum talking about me. Jaebum was making fun of me, and kind Youngjae backed me up, and then Jaebum said ‘I don’t get your stupid crush’. I wonder what he meant by that.

 

I think I know but hey, I’m not going to make any assumptions.

 

-

 

“Daehyun, my man.” Jaebum uttered, putting his arm around me. Weird. This never happen, I am not his “man.”

 

“Youngjae is in the school’s rooftop. About to jump. Go and save him.”

 

My eyes widened. The way Jaebum responded by laughing told me he’s just messing around with me. I rolled my eyes and decided to ignore him.

 

“Fine, I’m just kidding. But he’s up there. Waiting for you.”

 

“Why?”

 

“Go and find out.” He said absently.

 

-

 

I saw him sitting on the bench. Why is there a bench on the rooftop.

 

“Daehyun, hi.” Youngjae mumbled shyly as he stood up to greet me. I shrugged. “Hi too, I guess.”

 

Youngjae giggled before sitting down, patting the seat next to him. “You always said that. ‘I guess.’” The way he mentioned the ‘I guess’ sounds robotic, I wonder who he’s imitating.

 

I sat next to him and shrugged. He shrugged back before letting out a bout of laughter. It was music. And I found myself laughing too.

 

“Daehyun, I’m sure you heard us yesterday, so I might as well just say it.” He bit his lips nervously, and I honestly didn’t know what he’s saying. Can’t be that he’s talking about the ‘stupid crush’ right? I mean, nah, not possible.

 

“I like you, Daehyun.”

 

His cheeks turned rosy and it was so picturesque. I quietly drew it in the back of my mind. I still didn’t get what he’s saying though. My brain can’t interpret it. I may be a genius, but that doesn’t mean that I can understand all languages. ‘I like you, Daehyun’? What is that.

 

“What was that?” I asked.

 

“I said I like you, Daehyun.” Youngjae laughed and blushed even more.

 

I’m just kidding, I get it.

 

So I guess there’s no need for me to hide it anymore right.

 

K, fine.

 

I LOVE HIM. GEEZ.

 

“I like you too, Youngjae. Always had.”

 

I don’t remember what happened next. We kissed, I guess. *shrug*.