Episode 1.1

Surrounded by Darkness

OST for Episode 1: "Don't Go", EXO-K

 

On the first day of school, before I even got to school, I acted like a madman. Or, more accurately, a madwoman. And I can’t think of anyone to blame but my alarm clock, which ran out of batteries while I was sleeping. Well, I guess I could blame my unfortunate luck too.

It is quite a walk from my house to the bus stop, and I had been running to catch the bus. Just as I see it pull up at the bus stop that is only a few yards away, I started sprinting like my life was on the line, crazily waving my arms in the air to prevent the bus driver from leaving without me. I had managed to catch his attention, but I also caught the attention of everyone who was inside the bus. And at least half of them were students around my age who probably went to my school. Yeah, talk about great first impressions.

Now I’m on the bus, standing because there are no vacant seats, and desperately wishing for a mirror so I could smooth down the wild mess my hair must be in because of the run. A small sigh escapes my lips. I hope this isn’t some ominous sign telling me that my whole day was going to be a disaster.

Just my luck, the bus swerves at a sharp corner. Having two left legs, I stumble and almost fall flat onto the bus floor, but a hand grabs my arm to prevent it. I breathe out in relief and regain my balance. “Thank you,” I say as I look up. A pair of curious brown eyes stare back at me. Or should I say down at me, for the person who had saved me is a really tall boy with dark brown hair and pale skin.

The memory of my running flashes in my mind and I could feel my cheeks heat up. No wonder his eyes are pools of curiousity; he is probably wondering who this crazy, clumsy girl is.

I avert my eyes out the window, but now that I know he’s there, I can’t help but become self-conscious of how close we are standing. I wonder if he’ll laugh with derision if I edge away, since logically, he should be the one doing so. Who knows, I might accidently step on his foot the next time the bus came to a corner.

The bus screeches to a stop in front of the school and I fortunately don’t fall over. I rush to the door at the front of the bus and jump out. Walking at a relatively fast pace, I dash into the school and search for my classroom in the maze of hallways. I may not be good at geography, but I’m even worse at cognitive maps of places.

It takes me almost to the start of first period to find classroom 2-8. I stumble into the classroom and find out that everyone is already there. Thankfully, they were too busy talking amongst themselves about what they did over the break to notice me. Glancing at the blackboard, I almost scoff. Really? Assigned seats? What are we – kindergarteners?

Great – I ended up in the very back. I look toward the desks to see an empty desk a ways away. My eyes fall on my desk partner and my mouth opens in silent protest. Today is definitely not my day. The tall guy from the bus is sitting in the seat next to mine.

I cautiously walk to the back of the room and eye the guy as if being wary of a tiger. Trying to make as little sound as possible, I sling my backpack to the back of my seat and sit down. Only then do I cringe.

Out of the corner of my eye, I see the boy glance at me for a second and then turn away. Then he suddenly turns his head back as if surprised and stares at me for a few more seconds before turning to the front again. I’m pretty sure he’s right now cursing his luck. He also probably feels as uncomfortable as I am right now. I struggle not to squirm in my seat – I feel like anxiety ants are crawling under my skirt.

The bell must have rung. The teacher, a young man with slicked-back black hair, is standing at the front. His mouth starts moving, but I can’t seem to make out what he’s saying. I’m busy scanning my new classmates for a familiar figure. Not seeing him, I breathe out a sigh of relief.

“What is your name?” A voice next to me startles me out of my thoughts. I glance at my new desk partner. I narrow my eyes at him suspiciously, but his gaze doesn’t seem hostile or mocking. Yes, he must be a new student here. There’s no way he wouldn’t know my name if he wasn’t.

The corners of his mouth twitch, as if suppressing a smile. “Mr. Lee told us to introduce ourselves to our new deskmates. We’re apparently stuck together for the rest of the year.”

I stare back at him blankly. Mr. Lee? He must be our new homeroom teacher. He told us to do what? I refrain from rolling my eyes. He really is treating us like kindergarteners.

Well, he is going to know my name sooner or later anyways. “I’m Hwayoung,” I say. I extend a hand. He stares down at it with a slightly amused glint in his eyes. He grips it – his hand nearly covers all of mine – and I quickly lift it up and down once and withdraw my hand.

“I’m Jaehyun,” he says. I nod curtly and turn my attention back to the teacher.

He’s currently calling people one by one to hand them their textbook. I inwardly groan. He could just pass them out, but no, he wants to do it the hard way. I get that he wants to learn everyone’s names and whatnot, but he has a whole year to get to know us.

Dread slowly fills me as he calls the names one by one. I’m not afraid of my classmates, but it’s always the anticipation and uncertainty that cause anxiety.

“Hwayoung Lim.” I flinch. They can do what they want. They can’t break me. I stand up and walk to the front to Mr. Lee. The gasps have started echoing throughout the classroom ever since he called my name. Out of the corner of my eye, I see nudging and pointing.

Mr. Lee has a perplexed expression on his face when he hands me my Korean textbook. Poor man. He looks so young that it must be his first time teaching. It’s going to be one rough year for him trying to control the class. I give him a grim smile and start walking back to my desk. I stare at my desk as if trying to burn it with my eyes in order not to concentrate on the pointed stares and whispering.

Maybe that’s why I failed to see the foot sticking out in the aisle. The next thing I know, I find myself losing balance and flying forward, accompanied by a couple of snickers. I brace myself, preparing to meet the hard, cold floor. However, what I fall onto isn’t cold, but it is hard.

I look up to see the familiar face of my new deskmate. Crap – I fell on his chest! Why is he even there in the first place? Mortification encourages blood to flow into my cheeks. What is even worse is that I feel an arm around my waist as if to support me. Only when I quickly push myself off his chest do I hear the excited gasps and murmuring from the peanut gallery.

It has to be the worst day of my life. “Jaehyun Jung?” Mr. Lee calls out. He must’ve called him to the front to get his textbook. Jaehyun’s probably wondering what the heck he has gotten into by becoming my new desk partner. Mr. Lee is probably regretting becoming a teacher.

Actually, no, I am not that unlucky. I sigh in relief as I slide back into my seat. He’s not here. That’s all that matters for now.

Just then, a crumpled wad of paper hits me in the cheek. I refrain my rolling my eyes.

“Okay, let’s start class!” Mr. Lee says in a bright voice. He must’ve finished handing out textbooks.

Our first class is Psychology. Apparently, our homeroom teacher teaches that subject. And the topic of the day – which he writes on the board – makes me cringe.

“Talk to your partner for five minutes. Discuss if love at first sight is real.” Some excited murmurs break out in the classroom, probably from some girls.

I want to gag. “Love at first sight.” I absolutely detest that phrase. Especially since it came out of that jerk’s mouth.

“That makes no sense. What in the world made you like me?” I narrowed my eyes.

“It was love at first sight,” he said.

I rolled my eyes. “Yeah, right,” I scoffed. “Sorry, but I can’t be your girlfriend.”

That was when everything became twisted. I thought that my life would return to normal after rejecting him, but how wrong I was. But even if I could turn back time, I would rather die than said yes.

“Are you prone to zoning out?” A voice next to me snaps me out of my thoughts.

“Hmm?” I turn to face Jaehyun. I realize that I probably look confused. I straighten my expression.

“So what do you think?” he asks. “You did hear what Mr. Lee said this time, right?”

“Yeah,” I mutter. “I don’t think it’s real.”

Jaehyun is silent for a moment, as if waiting for me to expand. I don’t. “Why?” he finally asks. “Girls your age usually believe in it. They all dream about their prince charming at least once, don’t they?”

“Stop stereotyping girls,” I snap. “Prince charming? How old are you – 100? That’s so last century. What does love at first sight mean? It means you’re attracted to someone because of their looks. That’s so shallow.” I start fuming as images of that person enter my thoughts. Why does everyone love him? Because his outer appearance is so annoyingly perfect.

“Must be a touchy topic,” Jaehyun observes drily.

‘Well, you’re just being a jerk like the rest of them,’ I think furiously.

“Class, we have a visitor.” I sigh as Mr. Lee interrupts us. I was just about to ask Jaehyun what he thought – what kind of “grandiose” answer he could come up with. “The junior class president has come to make a short speech to the class.”

The junior class president… my jaw drops. I look up and my gaze meets that of my worst nightmare.

 

 


Hello, readers! It's summer break and now I can upload more frequently! I have made chapters into parts of episodes, like a drama. I hope that you enjoy reading about the main character - I certainly enjoyed writing about her. Please comment! Don't forget to click that subscribe button before you leave!

Have a great day!