Under the Weather

Sick Day

Theme: Lots and Lots of fluff, Friendship

Trigger Warning: None

Note: Everything after the event in the stage performance is based on the author’s imagination

 

 

The girls were soaked with rainwater as they performed. Well, outdoor performances on a rainy weather does that to you.

 

In the name of their job and according to their ever so bright member, Yewon, the show must go on, so despite the strong downpour, Pristin still gave the crowd the performance they were waiting for.

 

Everyone was dripping from head to toe, however, they were still smiling at the crowd after the performance.

 

As soon as they got down, Nayoung dashed to the duffle bag where all their stuff are and handed the girls their pink "limited edition" Pristin blankets.

 

Kyla, Sungyeon and Yewon dried each other's hair, giggling and laughing at something Yewon had said. The ray of sunshine really had a way with words and the members(well, also the whole Pristin fandom) swore that Yewon really is their main ray of sunshine and never ending energy.

 

Yebin and Eunwoo were laughing their heads off and dissing each other's disheveled appearance. Typical Yebwoo. There was never a conversation that didn't contain laughing, giggling or smiling between the two of them.

 

Kyungwon and Nayoung were videocalling Jieqiong, who was currently in China in preparation for her college entrance exams. Jieqiong's concerned expression made its way to Nayoung's phone screen as the leader and sub sub leader went on and on about their perfoming experience in the rain.

Minkyung, on the other hand, was worrying about her favorite dongsaeng, Siyeon. She was really concerned because the younger girl still had an MC activity the next day and it meant that she really shouldn’t get sick.

"Hey, Siyeon. You should change out of those clothes. You might get sick..." Minkyung said as she dried Siyeon's hair. Siyeon's clothes were very much making her prone to the biting cold. A crop top and short shorts soaked in rainwater? Yeah. Obviously.

 

"I'm fine, unnie. You should dry yourself too." Siyeon responded, her hand reaching up to wipe the rainwater out of Minkyung's face.  

 

"I'm just worried about you. I think you’re the most stressed among all of us. I mean, you have tons of work like being an emcee on a music program and fansigns and stuff.” Minkyung looked around cautiously before bending down to whisper on Siyeon’s ear “Please don’t tell Nayoung-unnie I said that.”

 

Siyeon smiled at her her tall friend’s concern and hugged her.

 

"Thank you for your concern, unnie. I’m gonna be fine! All of you are there to cheer me on, after all, especially you, unnie!” Siyeon’s bright smile is enough to put Minkyung’s worries at ease, well, temporarily, at least.

 

“Well, you bet! You’re my favorite dongsaeng, after all!”

 

They stayed in each other's embrace until one of their members called them.

 

"Hey, you two! Hurry up! It’s time to go." Yebin yelled from the opening of the tent, her arms locking Kyla and Nayoung in a headlock.

 

"Yeah!" Minkyung called back to Yebin.

 

~-~-~-~

 

"Ah. Finally. We're home!" Eunwoo exclaimed as soon as she stepped into the dorm. The other girls mumbled in agreement.

 

Kyungwon, Minkyung, Kyla and Yebin sat on the couch, letting the other girls wash up before them one by one. Nayoung tossed them some dry towels to warm themselves up with until the other girls finish washing up.

 

"Thanks, unnie." Yebin said. Nayoung nodded and wrapped the towel around her own body.

 

"I'm worried about Siyeon, you know?" Minkyung muttered, but that didn't go unheard by the other girls.

 

"Yeah. Me too, Roro. I mean... she still has that MC thing tomorrow. Hope she doesn't get sick." Kyungwon patted Minkyung's shoulder to express her concern for Siyeon.

 

"I'm sure she'll be fine. Siyeon didn't train for nine years just for other people to sleep on her after she debuts." Yebin smirked.

 

"What does that have to do with her being sick, Yebin?" Minkyung inquired.

 

"I...you... but... FORGET IT." The other girls laughed at Yebin.

When the laughter died down, Nayoung spoke up.

 

"Minkyung, Kyungwon make sure she gets a lot of sleep tonight. She always stays up late talking with you two."

 

"Got it, Nayoung-unnie." Minkyung did a salute, causing Nayoung to smile.

 

“What the heck, unnie?” Kyungwon exclaimed. The girls laughed at her offended expression

 

"So how's Jieqiong-unnie doing in China?" Kyla asked.

 

"She's still going over some things she needs for the entrance exam."

 

"We wish her luck then." Minkyung smiled.

 

"Thanks, girls."

 

After sometime, Yewon, the last one of the batch to shower, came out of the bathroom.

 

"Oh hey. You done?" Kyungwon called from the living room.

 

"Yeah. I'm the last one." Yewon smiled at the older girl.

 

"Minky, you go first. You look like a soaked bird." Minkyung smacked Kyungwon's head before retrieving a towel and taking a shower.

 

~-~-~-~

 

It was already 12 am by the time everyone was finished taking a bath. Minkyung and Siyeon were lying on their beds waiting for sleep to take them. Their other roommates were already asleep.

 

"Ddiddi, you need to sleep now. You still have something to do tomorrow." Minkyung said from her position on her own bed.

 

"Yeah... you're right." Siyeon yawned. "Goodnight, unnie”

 

"Goodnight."

 

Not too long later, sleep engulfed the two girls.

 

~-~-~-~

 

Minkyung was awoken by sounds of sniffling and was that... coughing?

 

With so much effort, she finally had the strength to open her heavy eyelids.  She checked on Siyeon whose bed was across from hers. The girl was shivering and coughing so bad Minkyung felt so sorry for her.

 

A few more coughs and sniffles prevailed, making Minkyung furrow her eyebrows further in concern. She got up from her bed and approached Siyeon, placing her hand on Siyeon’s shoulder. The younger girl also sniffled, which made Minkyung more concerned for her.

 

Wordlessly, Minkyung moved her hand to pat Siyeon's back as she coughed.

 

"C-cold..." Siyeon said with a hoarse voice, finally snapping out of her stupor. She turned to Minkyung’s direction and looked at her unnie.

 

The older girl noticed Siyeon was uncharacteristically flushed, her usually fair complexion being overpowered by pink. She felt up Siyeon’s forehead and gasped lightly. Siyeon was burning up!

 

"Awwww Ddidi… You poor thing. You have a fever." Minkyung sighed, pulling her hand away from the second maknae’s forehead.

 

She got her phone from the nightstand. It was 7:45 AM already. Didn't Siyeon say she should be at the salon at 9?

 

"Looks like you won't be attending that MC-ing activity today."

 

"What..?" Siyeon croaked, her voice having those cracks you can make out when one has a cold. "I have to go now... I need to be there."

 

"No. I'm not letting you leave. You're sick."

 

"But-"

 

"I'll have Nayoung call manager oppa. You're gonna be staying here."

 

"Unnie..." Siyeon faced her and looked at her with those teary eyes.

 

"Ddiddi. No. You're sick. I don't want you to collapse there."

 

As if on cue, Siyeon coughed a couple of times. The older girl rubbed her favorite dongsaeng’s back. She felt sorry for Siyeon.

 

However, it was the girl's second time to emcee in a show, and that's a plus point for Minkyung since Siyeon had already experienced being an MC. It would be bad if Siyeon got sick on her first time in that experience.

 

“What’s going on?” Minkyung turned to look at the owner of the voice. It was Kyungwon. The sub sub leader who was perched on her elbow, rubbing her eyes to rid herself of sleep.

 

“Guess who we’re gonna nurse back to health today.” Minkyung stepped aside for Kyungwon to get a clear view of Siyeon who was still cocooned in blankets. Kyungwon’s eyes softened at the sight. She jumped off of her bunk and approached her younger friend, feeling up her forehead.

 

“You really overworked yourself, Ddiddi.” Kyungwon said with sad eyes. Siyeon’s hand reached up to grasp Kyungwon’s wrist.

 

“Debuting with you guys… all of my ‘overworking was worth it.’ Siyeon smiled warmly at her two unnies, making them smile because of the touching sentence. Turns out Siyeon was much more expressive when sick. Not two seconds later, the girl began to cough again and Minkyung was beyond worried.

 

“I’m gonna wake Nayoung-unnie up.” Kyla bounced off from her own bed, startling the two older girls.

 

“How did you… you were sleeping earlier!” Kyungwon exclaimed and was clearly flabbergasted by Kyla’s amazing entrance.

 

“I was awake ever since Minkyung unnie approached Siyeon-unnie’s bed.” Kyla smiled before exiting the door to wake Nayoung up.

 

~-~-~-~

“Remind me… how in the world are we here again?” Eunwoo said, clutching the umbrella tighter in her hands. Yebin and Yewon were on each of her two sides walking with her. Yebin was sharing the umbrella with her while Yewon carried her own.

 

“We need to buy some medicine and food for Siyeon. She’s feeling under the weather today.” Yebin answered.

 

Nayoung had sent Yebin and Eunwoo out for a convenience store mission to buy some medicine and some porridge. The leader had taken up Jieqiong’s advice on buying the porridge she always ate when she was sick, stating that Siyeon would get better soon if she ate those. Jieqiong still showed concern for the younger girl even if she was miles away into another country. The bond of Pristin really IS strong.

“What about that MC thing she has to do? Isn’t that today?”

 

“Obviously, Siyeon can’t go since she’s sick, Eunwoo. She really wanted to go though.” Yebin told Eunwoo, who nodded her head in response.

 

“We’re here unnies!” Yewon said, positive energy practically radiating from her. She happily skipped towards the convenience store, the two groggy people behind her following her.

 

“It’s impossible to stay tired when Yewon’s here.” Eunwoo smiled at Yebin. The two were usually cheery and easy going but today, they were very very tired after a barrage of responsibilities had to be done for the past months(the last one having just finished last night).

 

“Yeah, you’re right. Let’s go inside. The sooner we get the things we need for Siyeon, the better. Girl deserves a lot of love and care from her unnies today.” Yebin laughed while she closed the umbrella and got into the store.

 

~-~-~-~

Minkyung was sitting at the edge of Siyeon’s bed, squeezing a cloth she soaked in warm water. She wiped stray hair from Siyeon’s forehead before placing the cloth on it. This elicited a soft sigh from Siyeon, who was snuggled up in the cocoon of blankets Nayoung got her.

 

After that, Minkyung picked up the thermometer Nayoung handed her and asked Siyeon to use it. A minute later, the older girl plucked the thermometer from Siyeon and looked at it.

 

38.0° C

 

The tallest Pristin member sighed. Siyeon’s  fever still wasn’t showing signs of going down anytime soon.

 

“Unnie.” Siyeon’s croaky voice cut off Minkyung’s thoughts, making the girl look at her.

 

“Yes?” She smiled warmly at the younger girl, adjusting the blankets around Siyeon.

 

“Do you think they will get mad at me?” Poor thing. She still thought about the show she was to emcee above anything else. This softened Minkyung’s heart. Siyeon has the heart of a true idol.

 

“Of course not, Siyeon. You’re sick and you need rest. Besides, Nayoung-unnie had the manager talk to the staff. They said that you need to get well soon because you will be the MC of the next show, so calm down, okay? Get some rest. You need to get better. Don’t wanna miss another show, now do you?” Minkyung winked at Siyeon, earning a giggle from the younger girl. Despite being mature, Minkyung mused, she was still just sixteen and she needed the love and support from her unnies.

 

Just a moment later, Sungyeon went into the room with a glass of water and a new set of pajamas.

 

“Hey, Sungyeon-unnie.” Siyeon smiled.

 

“Hi! I hope your fever is going down already. Here.” Sungyeon smiled and gave Siyeon the glass of water in her hand. Minkyung helped Siyeon up with much difficulty.

 

Siyeon drank from the glass, wincing when she finally finished.

 

“My throat hurts.” Siyeon said with a hoarse voice. Sungyeon patted Siyeon’s head sympathetically.

 

“I’m going to prepare you some food as soon as the three go back. Hang in there, Siyeon-ah.” Sungyeon patted the girl’s cheek before exiting the room again.

 

~-~-~-~

Nayoung sighed from the counter. It isn’t a new occurrence for one of her members to fall sick, but it didn’t mean that it didn’t worry her every time it happened.

 

Heck, those girls are like her second family, if something happened to any of them, she knew she would be the first to spring into action, although she would never admit.

 

She was a woman of few words and although she had already warmed up to her group because of years and years together, there were some times that she would just… stay silent. Their maknae was similar to her, so Nayoung always liked having her around, basking in mutual silence.

 

“Hey.” Kyungwon bopped Nayoung and Kyla’s head lightly with the milk carton in her hand. She settled next to Nayoung on the counter, chugging down the milk straight from the carton. The older girl sighed and glared at Kyungwon.

 

“Kang Kyungwon. How many times have I told you not to drink directly from the carton?”

 

“Ack! Sorry Unnie!” Kyungwon almost spurted the milk from because of the leader’s glare.

 

“Just… please. Do what I say next time.” Nayoung sighed and resumed her previous position on the counter.

 

“That aside, unnie. You have to cut yourself some slack in worrying about us.” Kyungwon is the type of person to go straight to the point and the type to be honest about how she feels.

 

“Seriously, are you a mind reader?” Nayoung groaned.

 

“Oh, I hit the bull’s eye?”

 

“Nevermind. You’re not.” Nayoung chuckled. “But, thanks, Kyungwon. I know that, it’s just… well… I worry for the whole lot of you. You girls are my second family. It’s normal to worry.”

 

“Well, yeah, but don’t stress yourself unnie. We’re very lucky to have you as our leader, although some of us really are rebellious sometimes.” Kyungwon said, thinking about the beagle line.

 

“Yeah. I think I can deal with your antics pretty well now.” Nayoung deadpanned.

 

“Unnie always accuses me.” Kyungwon did her aegyo, making Nayoung annoyed. Kyla also cringed.

 

“Unnie, stop that.” Kyla said in a deadpan voice, making Nayoung laugh and Kyungwon pout further. She went near Kyla and started to say in her aegyo voice “Little Kyla is just like her Nayoung-unnieeee. Savage Maknae, don’t you feel sorry for Yuyu????” Kyla scoffed at Kyungwon’s antics, but in truth, she was hiding her laughter.

 

The dorm entrance swung open accompanied by yells and excited voices.

 

“Finally! Time to rest again!” Yebin exclaimed, Eunwoo and Yewon in tow. The three of them each had something in their hands. Yebin had the plastic with Siyeon’s medicine and some chips for herself. Eunwoo had the honey Sungyeon requested and also some ramen for herself. Yewon, with her smiley expression, carried with her the porridge and some ice cream.

 

When Nayoung peeked inside the plastic bag, she almost fainted. It seems that the girls had already forgotten about their respective diets. However, being the good unnie she is, she let the girls be. After all, it was supposed to be their vacation.

 

~-~-~-~

Sungyeon had just finished cooking up the porridge and heating up the honey for Siyeon to drink. She went to Siyeon’s room and instantly, her eyes softened at the sight. Minkyung was resting her head against the headboard, eyes closed and very much asleep. Beside her, Siyeon was sleeping, cuddling into Minkyung’s side. Minkyung’s arm was around Siyeon.  This showed how much Minkyung cared for her favorite dongsaeng. The younger girl still had the cocoon of blankets all over her and also she still had the wet towel on her forehead.

 

Regrettably, Sungyeon had to wake Siyeon up to eat the porridge and honey while it was still warm. She neared the bed and shook Minkyung and Siyeon’s shoulders up. Not long later, the two girls opened their eyes and were met with Sungyeon’s warm smile.

 

“Sorry to wake you girls up, but Siyeon has to eat the porridge and drink her medicine.” Siyeon smiled gratefully at her unnie and Minkyung rose up to give up her space for Sungyeon to sit. She went out of the room and left the two girls alone.

 

Sungyeon fed Siyeon with the porridge. The younger girl’s puffy eyes widened, making Sungyeon look at her.

 

“Well?”

 

“It’s good unnie.” Siyeon smiled. It was true. The clog on her nose was lessened as soon as the warm porridge made way down , making her regain her sense of taste. It was really delicious.

 

“That’s great. Kyla was the one who cooked it. She’s really good, it seems.”

 

“Wow, Maknae got some skillz. Swaggy Baggy.” Siyeon laughed, and although her voice was still sore, Sungyeon could tell she was happy, so she laughed along with the younger girl.

 

A few more bites later, Siyeon was already  resting comfortably on the headboard. She still coughed now and then, but it wasn’t as bad as it was before. Sungyeon handed her a glass of some kind of amber colored liquid, making Siyeon look at her questioningly.

 

“It’s heated up honey. It will help with your sore throat. I drink that all the time before.” Sungyeon explained. Siyeon took the glass from her unnie’s hand and chugged down its contents.

 

“Better?”

“Yeah. It doesn’t taste bad. Thanks, unnie.” Siyeon smiled, the warm feeling of the honey making its way down .

 

“Get lots and lots of sleep, okay? You’ll be better in no time.”

 

“Yeah. Thanks unnie.”

 

The day passed by quickly and night fell just as fast.

 

Before sleeping, Minkyung once again checked Siyeon’s temperature. It had gone down to 37.5° C.

 

‘Thank God’ she thought.

 

“How is it?” Nayoung peered from the door and looked at Minkyung questioningly.

 

“Her fever went down a little. She should be okay by tomorrow, unnie.”

 

“Okay. Good night.” Nayoung smiled before shutting the door softly behind her.

 

Minkyung took one last glance at Siyeon before making her way back to her own bunk. As soon as she settled down on her bed, she heard Siyeon mumble in her sleep. “Pristin, hwaiting.”

 

Minkyung chuckled at Siyeon’s cuteness. Despite not saying much in words, she knew that Siyeon appreciated everyone’s care for her. With that in mind, Minkyung drifted off to sleep.

 

~-~-~-~

The next morning, Siyeon woke up feeling a whole lot better. She felt energized and strong compared to yesterday. Trekking back on her memory, she remembered everything that had transpired yesterday; how Yebin, Eunwoo and Yewon went to the nearest convenience store to buy her medicine and stuff, how Kyungwon and Nayoung expressed their concern for her, how Sungyeon and Kyla cooked up the recipe for the porridge and the honey that made her feel better, and last but not the least, how Minkyung, her favorite unnie(as much as she was Minkyung’s favorite dongsaeng) stayed by her side the whole day yesterday to make sure she was comfortable and got well.

 

She heard shuffling from the other bunk and turned to look at it. Minkyung was rising from bed, stretching and eventually getting out of it. The older girl approached her and ruffled her hair.

 

“How are you feeling now, Siyeon?”

 

“I’m fine unnie. Thanks to all of you.” Siyeon smiled. Minkyung felt up Siyeon’s forehead and discovered that she was at her normal temperature again. She smiled at the younger girl before waking their other roommates up for breakfast.

 

~-~-~-~

Siyeon sat with her unnies(minus her Jieqiong unnie) at the table having breakfast.

 

After answering a ton of similar questions from her unnies(as soon as she went out of the dorm room, she had been bombarded with different voices asking her “how are you feeling”) she was finally and peacefully munching on the delicious breakfast Kyla and Sungyeon made for all of them.

 

The normal conversation the group had was music to her ears. She may never speak it out loud but she was grateful to have debuted with all the girls at the table, all the girls she spent half of her life training with.

 

She was thankful that she had reached her dreams with all of these amazing people, and she wouldn’t have it any other way.

 

A/N:

Back again with another Pristin oneshot! This is inspired by Pristin’s performance in the rain the other day. I am so touched because despite the rain, they still chose to perform Wee Woo(I still can’t get over that). Until then!