Hidden Side

Cold Case

December 26th, 2015

Seoul, towards the new year feast, a lot of Music Festival getting hotter than before, filling all-nighter day. Imagine happy fans shouting their idol on stage, singing perfectly like a CD on the live show. It could be a perfect week headed to a new year for everyone. But things don't always go as planned.

The atmosphere in the Police Station was no less hot. A male corpse found in his apartment. Auntie from the victim found him already lying bloodily on the floor this morning. Two stabs in his stomach make the victim lose blood without being saved. Knife blade on each wound as deep as 5 cm.

This news shocked the mass media, there's a murderer around them.

"Time of death?"

A forensic stands up, notes. "10 hours ago, at about 10 p.m"

"So, it's a high-schooler in second grade. He just live here alone?"

Another detective nods. "Yeah, his aunt came because the victim's phone inactive since yesterday evening. His father is on his way here from Busan, his mother already died because of the stress the brother of the victim died." Said detective Yoon Dowoon, open up his notes again.

Detective Jeon analyzed the outer-physical body of the still-rigid corpse. Forensic went on, "There's a briuse on his wrist, maybe more on his body. We'll proceed again after being taken to the lab." He nods as he listening.

Jeon silently took a deep breath. Looking again at slightly swollen victim's face, he gasped. Clench his teeth. This was a frightened face 4 years ago in a cold interrogation room. "What's his name again?"

"Min Yoongi." His breath stopped get caught by the name clearly. The victim's brother Detective Yoon meant was--

"He's the brother of a murder victim four years ago," Detective Park said, coming in from the yard and looking up at the blood on the wall. Pretend not to notice Jeon's blue face. "Least amount of blood on the wall. It's 1.5 meters away from the body."

"The forensic got the sample." Clear Detective Yoon. "First possibility, he first stabbed here and dodge. But the culprit didn't let him go and stab him again on the floor. Or there's another victim in this apartment."

"What a phsyco."

Jeon Jungkook stands up. "It's the same killer, right? I didn't expect him dead like his brother. Hyung, you smell something weird, right?" He said to the Head-detective Park, still shocked by this surprise. Park is just looking at him slightly and take his notes.

"Dowoon, take a look at his phone records and find out for a sentence." Det. Park Kihan commands. "Jungkook, keep track of his personal belongings. I'm going to see CCTV." They start to investigate. Jungkook bring his laptop and anything on the table. But what makes him more confuse is Min Yoongi's phone is missing.

"Did you find his cell phone?" asks Yoon Dowoon, just as Jungkook's big question began. "I'll track down his number." In a second down starts busier, opening his laptop and tracking it down. Jungkook comes after he wraps the laptop.

"Uh, it's non-active." Just like his Aunt said. "But the last time before the phone turn inactive is.. at the Subway?"

Jungkook take a look. "Maybe he lost his phone. Or the culprit took it?" Dowoon and Jungkook stared at each other.
 

 

 

Detective Park sits silently in his office-chair, many questions in his head but answers are none. This was too clean just like 4 years ago. No--But this time the culprit has left footprints. Just that. He takes a look at his phone, calling his only son, but there's no answer. This is not the first time, but his Son just as discipline, hard-work, and understand how busy his father is.

But Detective Park instinct speaks there's something wrong.

He hears the facsimile deliver the missing-phone records and grabs it. "What the--" Shock, almost dropped his phone seeing his son's number on the list. The last who called.

"Sir, what is it?" Jeon stands up.

"Jungkook, track Jimin's number right now!!"

 

 
 
~~

 
January, 2015
 
'Who is he again?" Jimin asks Kang Young Hoon besides him.

"Min Yoongi. He transferred from Busan, I don't know the truth is but he seems to be a troublemaker." Young Hoon replies. Jimin little laughs, giving attention to the new face, making him clasp.

"No way. Maybe just kind of self-contained? Cold? Aug, he's a shy boy. I can't approach him." he murmurs, then open his book and pretending to read. Talking ahead, Jimin got headache after retracing his notes again. He has 2 meetings in different organization after school and take groceries. Maybe he'll take out the last one.
Jimin sighing as the teacher comes and time to make up his mind. He slightly sees Yoongi not listening, but music. As class prefect, it's a big job to be friend with him.

"You're Min Yoongi,  right?" Jimin sit down on the chair in front of Yoongi. Just glance at him but no answers. "I'm Park Jimin, and this is my number. Oh, I am this class prefect so you can trust me."

"I can trust you? You're the same as the other." Min Yoongi speaks up, seems annoyed and wearing his jacket-hood.

Seeing that, Jimin laughs and Yoongi raise his head with sharpened eyes. "Stop being hard. You make everyone around you uncomfortable, I'm the leader and I'll change that too."

This time, Yoongi right tip of lips raised. "What do you want? I'm not destroying things, not disobey, not a troublemaker, it's up to them what to feel towards me. I don't care."

Indeed, Jimin not frightening with Yoongi's threatened glance. He just wants to find out what his problem. "You are part of us now, at least conversate with other."

"I don't care"

"But I do." Yoongi just giving a straight stare. Jimin not smiling at all, getting tired to talk to this boy. But Min Yoongi's stubbornness not as much as Jimin's.

No sign of giving up.

Every day, almost every time he took a conversation with Yoongi. Anything he could ask, but he most of what he got is unanswered or humming. Then he starts with making story to break the ice around Yoongi.

"I never say this thing to anyone, except Young Hoon." Jimin starts with murmuring as opening. Don't care if Yoongi listening (while he put his headset on) or not, but the weather so nice today so he came to the rooftop, pull the annoyed one (Yoongi).

"I miss my father a lot. Like every time." Jimin says as he looks up enjoy the sun's warmth. "In times like this we were hiking to warm our bodies. Hmm, but it's too fast to change. My mom left us after Dad suffering an unsolved case few years ago. Oh, my father is detective"

"So you're broken home."

He closes his eyes. "Don't take it too negative. It's not that bad."

"Why you didn't come with your mom then." Yoongi ask with not toned voice.

Jimin raises his shoulder. "I don't know."

"Looks like you regret to stay with your father." He breaks in. Jimin glances at him a while and laughs a little.

"I wanna be my father. Being a detective or police, catch bad guys. I want to see how is it like to be like him. he solved many cases even he didn't come home for 2 weeks. I still like it, thinking dad's work hard payoff." Jimin smiles as he turns his head down. He knows dad is hard-work type, but he misses dad too.

"Ahh what am I saying." He continues.

Yoongi sit back and relax now. Rigidly saying, "You do good now."

"What?"

"Nothing." He began to look away and gets shy, so he left Jimin there. Jimin smile widely as he watches Yoongi's back getting farther away.
at least, for today Yoongi asks him questions as respond. Jimin really know, the more he approaches him, Yoongi will let him cross the wall.

"He's not bad at all." Jimin checks his phone, no call from dad. He decided to make soup for dinner, got a good feeling that Dad will come down to sleep at home.

Jimin even don't know how Yoongi's words earlier makes him at ease.

 

After school Young Hoon accompany him to take groceries. Just so Young Hoon can ask Jimin to buy him snacks. He knows it.

"I want that." Young Hoon pointed at honey chips. "Oh, looks delicious." He takes ham as Jimin still stared at him. "What? I'm going to eat at your place anyway."

"What?! Who allows to do that?!" He simply refused. But still he can't help Young Hoon, who like happily child going with mother to store.

They finished after Young Hoon buys ice cream for them. They have to walk for 1 km to reach home and Jimin tells him about the new side of Yoongi that he found out after 1 month.

"Hey," Young Hoon stops his step. "Is that Yoongi?" He meant the boy inside tteokbokki stall. They want to make sure so Young Hoon walks ahead and order one spicy tteokbokki as he checks. Afraid Yoongi will feel ashamed but he can't help it because Yoongi already found them.

"Oh, hey Min Yoongi!" Find a way to leave this boy alone, he says that and acted like usual but.... awkward. "You work here? Waah, i envy. I want to work too."

But Yoongi just stares them and help the ahjumma. Jimin felt uneasy leaving Yoongi with weird kind of feeling. He just one step closer but back again in the same day.

"Is his dad not doing well?" Young Hoon breaks the silence because Jimin prepares the meal with full-minded. "I mean, he become a part-timer."

"I'm checking his data from homeroom-teacher, His dad a bussiness man, successful one I think." He replies, chop the onion. "But i think he didn't go well with him. Earlier, he was giving respond while I talk about my dad. First time ever."

Young Hoon nods as he eating tteokbokki he bought earlier. Regretting about him. They sit silently while enjoy the food. Many times Jimin checks if dad is come home. "Hey, call your dad." Young Hoon says. But Jimin doubt if his call will upset his father.

"No way he will get mad at you. Believe me." He says with firm tone, like he can reads Jimin's mind. Jimin ended up called his Dad, answered but Dad said He won't come down.

"Really, what's wrong with your dad?" Young Hoon whom upset because Jimin couldn't do anything like he didn't do anything so his Dad come home. "This is his house, not that station."

"Busy with works, catching bad guys, investigating.. Oh, should I wrap these food and go to his station?"

Young Hoon disagree this action, but Jimin seems wanna know what his Dad doing these days. Before this, Young Hoon who came here (station) with Jimin always entrusted the food to the guard, one of reason why this time Young Hoon not coming with Jimin.

Jimin walking cross the street to reach the station, holds packs of food and few dad's clothes. It's nearly 8 p.m, and a police car ride into the station field. He stood in front of the gate, watching. A police officer helds a handcuffed-criminal out from the car. "Maybe Dad still busy."

But he waiting for one hour before coming in, thinking harder as he walks in. Like nervous. Of course he knew where his father is, 2nd floor, unit 2.

"Oh, Park Jimin?" Detective Jeon meets him at the top of the second floor stairs. "What are you doing here?" then Detective Jeon sees bags that Jimin holds. "Oh! You coming for your dad~ coming in, he's inside."

"Thank you, Detective Jeon." He bows at him as he coming down.

With slow steps he approaches his dad place. Jimin smiles as he saw Dad in his desk, but not doing anything. Dad leaned his chair and stared blankly to the table. He realize Dad looking at a frame, our family photo, full-team (with mom). The sadness creeps in his nerves, but he holds his tears back.

"That time I realize, Home still resembles of Mom. That's why Dad rarely come home, 'cause reminds him of her."
 
 
 
 
[Tbc]


Yoon Dowoon and Kang Young Hoon of Day6, fyi.
vote and subscribe!
Sorry for this long part ㅋㅋ