Dogs and Werewolves Are The Same, Aren't They?

Merits of Being A Dog Lover

 

Prompt Code:101   

Title: Merits of being a Dog lover   

Pairing: Ka D.O b

Rating: PG-13   

Side Pairings (if any):n/a   

Monsters: werewolf   

Warnings:n/a   

Word Count: 8,433    

Summary: Kyungsoo loves being a dog person.   

AN: Two words to describe this entire thing: a mess. Ugh. This is what happens when you attempt to write fantasy for the first time. BUT STILL a huuuuuuuge thank you to my beta J and beta reader S for reading my fic for me when I myself got sick of it. Thank you to my writer friends who all went berserk with me as we chased deadlines. Thank you to all the mods—my loves—you’re the bestest!!! 3 To this fic’s prompter, and to the readers, this is for you!   

 

 

 

 

 

 

The evening air had a nice lull to it, quiet aside from the occasional cicadas and the low rumble of a car passing by. Life in the city’s suburban outskirts certainly had its merits; one of which was the peace it gave its dwellers during nighttime. A decent ride away from the hustle and bustle of city life, it was the perfect place for postgraduate literary student Do Kyungsoo to settle down with his beloved pet dog.

Most apartments and dorm rooms near his university banned pets from their premises, forcing Kyungsoo—who wouldn’t give his cuddly graduation gift up—to relocate elsewhere.

A flyer and a 30 minute train ride later, Kyungsoo found himself in front of a quaint subdivision located literally just before the ‘welcome to the city!’ signage; its humble peach-colored iron gates luring him in.

The real estate agent dealt him a relatively cheap price, considering it was a neat and spacious modern bungalow. The amount was payable within 6 months, no added interest. When he asked why the price was so low, the agent began answering in cryptic undertones, saying things like ‘the place drives out dogs and their dog owners’, and that their area was under PETAs radar or something. Kyungsoo felt a little queasy because of his answer, thinking about his precious dog and what that could have meant for the both of them.

But the sweet deal won out in the end; the house was simply too good for a postgraduate like him to pass up on. And so two weeks and three days later, Kyungsoo began hauling everything he owned that would fit in his friend Chanyeol’s white van, ready to move in with a fresh start. The entire process of moving took two trips, back and forth; and by the end of the day he’s standing in the middle of his living room. A place he can finally call his own.

He emptied his old dorm room of his things, and even took a few items he found interesting from his old room back at home with him. This new house was going to be his now. His and his dog’s.

Living in a small house of his own with his beloved pet dog was bliss and everything he could’ve asked for in his early twenties. He wasn’t completely broke nor was he getting in any sort of trouble--life was going great for him and he wouldn’t have had it any other way.

 

 

 

●●●●

 

 

“Okay, Droopy! Dinner time!”

“Ruff!”

Droopy, Kyungsoo’s Basset Hound trudges on its chubby legs forward as he places his dinner down on the front lawn.

“Do you know why you’re eating outside from now on?” He asks, squatting in front of his dog while the other slobbers all over the dish tray.

Kyungsoo cringes as he sees doggie drool all over the food strips and dripping down the container. Droopy continues to devour the contents of his food bowl in the fastest time possible, unaware of his owner’s grossed out expression.

 “Yeah, that’s right. It’s precisely because of this. It took me half a day to clean the mess you made on the carpet yesterday and I’m not really excited for a repeat performance. So, out you go. But only for feeding time, okay?”

The question falls on deaf ears as Droopy continues lapping up his chicken and cheese strips, leaving his owner hanging in aonesided conversation.

Kyungsoo sighs and rubs the top of Droopy’s head affectionately. “You’re not even listening, are you? You’re lucky you’re cute—I would’ve disowned you a long time ago.”

At this Droopy responds, looking up with his big ‘please-love-me-I’m-smol-and-fat’ eyes,  causing Kyungsoo’s heart to expand on itself, dripping warmth all over his chest.

“Ah, who am I kidding…”

As he continues staring down at his dog with little hearts in his eyes, a door closes somewhere behind him. The sound breaks his reverie and effectively catches his attention; even Droopy’s ears twitch, indicating he had heard something, but his dog chooses to ignore this and continues eating without a care in the world. Curious, Kyungsoo turns his head to the left to check, and sees his next door neighbor leaving his home.

He raises a hand in greeting when the other turns around and notices him. “Hey.”

Jongin, his next door neighbor of almost one whole year greets him back by lifting the beak of his baseball cap up, a corner of his mouth modestly curling around the edges. He does this as he walks, Kyungsoo following his movements with his eyes and catching the small glance the other sends his dog once he passes by them.

Jongin puts the baseball cap back on, tugging it down until the beak seems to cover his eyes, and then pockets his hands in his jeans once he’s satisfied. He continues walking down a straight path towards the subdivisions’ mini park without looking back.

Kyungsoo finds himself staring at the departing back of his next-door neighbor, enjoying the view of his tight jeans a little too much. He clears his throat and looks away, only to find his dog slumped down next to his shoe, barely awake. He shakes his head in amused disbelief and leans forward to scoop up all 30 pounds of doggy flab, holding him close to his chest. He smiles when Droopy snuggles comfortably in the crevice between his chest and elbow, all warm and fluffy.

 

 

He loves being a dog person.

 

 

●●●●

 

 

The first week of setting Droopy’s dinner out was going really well. Kyungsoo didn’t have to deal with dinner mishaps and having to scold his precious dog. Life was good, everyone was happy.

Until the second week rolled in and Droopy started begging for seconds barely an hour after feeding time. Kyungsoo knew that Basset Hounds were prone to obesity, and so he regularly controlled (with much difficulty and will strengthening) Droopy’s feeding portions. His dog begging for seconds was nothing surprising but usually rare.

“What is it boy?” Kyungsoo asked when Droopy sniffed around his foot, whining softly at the back of his throat. He reached down to scratch the dog behind his floppy ears, causing him to get momentarily distracted, tail wagging happily. When he stopped the whining resumed; coupled with small paw scratches on the floor by his feet.

“Okay Droopy what is it, what’s up?” He stood up and the dog started running as fast as his small legs could take his chubby body, disappearing out the doggy door as Kyungsoo pulled the front door open. Droopy started sniffing and whining at his food bowl, and Kyungsoo suddenly had an idea what all the fuss was about.

“Geez, Droopy. You scared me. You wanted seconds didn’t you?” Kyungsoo squatted down and reached for his dog’s food bowl, Droopy immediately nosing at his knees for attention. He petted the hound’s head once before standing up.

“I’m only getting you seconds since I know you like my cheesy fish and chicks so much. I’ll be right back, Droopy.”

Droopy answered with a happy yip.

 

 

The same thing happened again the week after that.

 

Kyungsoo was startled out of his studying when Droopy began barking and growling nonstop.

He left his dog outside for a few minutes for his scheduled feeding time; not wanting to get any food scraps in by keeping the door open and available. Sure, there was a perfectly dog sized doggie door that Droopy could have walked back in anytime but he had been trained enough not to use it when he was eating. His dog’s incessant barking and growling however, like what he was doing now, was a relatively new behavior around dinner time. Confusion wrapped around his thoughts like an annoying mist.

“What on earth…” Kyungsoo murmured, setting his papers down on the table as he went for the front door.

“Droopy are you—“

Droopy ran towards him, going around Kyungsoo’s feet once before barking at the door and then looking at him.

The dog continued to bark sharply; every bark sounding increasingly angry and agitated. Kyungsoo’s heart beat doubled in worry as he immediately crouched down, murmuring calming words to his dog but not careless enough to touch him in his provoked state.

“Down boy, down, calm down…what’s wrong? Is something outside?”

The skin on Kyungsoo’s nape suddenly prickled, imagining what would have made his dog upset. He knows dogs do react rather aggressively to unfamiliar people and surroundings, and therefore shouldn’t be too alarmed by his behavior but—Droopy was different; he was a fluffy marshmallow and rarely got upset. Realizing this, Kyungsoo suddenly had second thoughts opening the door and checking what was waiting for him outside.

But his dog wouldn’t stop barking and it was getting on his nerves; more so than his irrational fear, and ultimately decides on yanking it open, prepared for the sight of—

 

Nothing. There was nothing out there except for Droopy’s food dish; which had been moved opposite of where it’s normally placed, and a couple of food droppings around it. Kyungsoo looked around for any signs of danger or anything else out of place— but saw none. He sighed and picked Droopy’s dish up from the floor.

“Come on Droopy, there’s nothing out there. I’ll just get you another serving of this and then that’s enough for tonight, okay?” Droopy whined but followed him when he stepped back inside.

Just to be sure Kyungsoo threw one more, brief side-glance from behind his shoulder before shutting the door all the way. From his periphery he caught a sudden movement from behind the bushes near his fence—a blur in the dark. He felt goosebumps spread over his nape and shoulders, but, knowing that he was sleep deprived and probably seeing things, shook it off and dismissed it. It was probably squirrels running wild anyway. Probably.

 

 Because really, Kyungsoo reasoned in his head. What kind of weird things go around in suburban homes anyway?

 

 

The next day Kyungsoo took Droopy out for his routine walk. He was attaching Droopy’s leash on the pathway to the sidewalk when he heard footsteps nearby. Without really meaning to, he looked up to see Jongin coming back from what seemed to be an early morning jog. The other looked flushed and was sweaty all over; his fringe plastered on his forehead in long spikes. His t-shirt was drenched as well, molding onto his upper body in an almost obscene way and leaving nothing to the imagination. As he stared at his neighbor Kyungsoo soon realized that he couldn’t avert his eyes; earlier task at hand all but forgotten.

Jongin stopped a couple of steps in front of him; leisurely taking out his headphones and casually aiming a boyish grin at him. The smile transformed his face immensely; laugh lines making him suddenly look younger than his age. “Hey, hyung.” He greets a little breathlessly, probably still winded from his run.

Kyungsoo all too willingly returns his grin; all crinkly eyes and gummy smiles. “Hey Jongin. Your usual morning run, huh?”

“Actually—“ Jongin begins, but is rudely interrupted by Droopy’s sudden growling, snarling and barking.

Luckily for both Jongin and Kyungsoo (especially Jongin) the latter was able to attach the leash around Droopy’s collar before they began talking, preventing the dog from attacking him full force with a solid tug.

The usually friendly and mostly mellow dog turned agitated for some reason. Kyungsoo’s face burns in embarrassment for his pet’s behavior; head bowing a couple of times in apology.

“I’m sorry, Jongin. Droopy isn’t normally like this—ugh. Droopy stop that, calm down!”

Jongin answers with a noncommittal hum, pulling on the front of his shirt in an effort to fan himself. He takes a calculated step back before speaking. “It’s fine hyung, I get that other dogs don’t like me. It’s a territory thing.”

Kyungsoo wasn’t looking at him when he spoke; too focused on calming his basset hound down to process anything.

“Right, but no,  i you don’t understand /i .This behavior isn’t like him at all—I’m so sorry. He’s a good dog, I promise you.”

His back was facing Jongin when he apologized, entirely oblivious to the wolfish grin the other was ceaselessly taunting his dog with. Droopy grew even more agitated; all his primal canine instincts awakened by the tease as he began leaping towards Jongin with a strenuous effort. It was futile since Kyungsoo had his leash in a vice-like grip, but the dog wasn’t going to just let Jongin bully him. Droopy continued snarling at him from where Kyungsoo was holding him back.

“Argh Droopy what—“ Kyungsoo tugged on his leash two more times before he finally relented; choosing instead to bare its teeth (with great difficulty) and growl low in his throat at Jongin.

Jongin instantly responded with a low grumble of his own, startling Kyungsoo. The latter wasted no time in whipping his head back to stare at him; but Jongin had already schooled his expression into one of exhaustion and nonchalance, not giving Kyungsoo a chance to be suspicious.

“What was that...never mind. I just—again, I’m really sorry Jongin. We’ll just be going on ahead for now. I’ll let Droopy apologize to you properly when someone—“He glanced down pointedly at his dog,”—learns to behave himself around other people. Well, see you Jongin.”

Jongin nodded wordlessly in understanding, a small smile plastered on his face as he watches a pink-faced Kyungsoo haul a fifty pound— most probably upset— basset hound away.

 

Droopy finally gave up after another one of his owner’s deadliest glares; walking forward with his chubby legs to where Kyungsoo was taking him without question.

 

Jongin’s smirk grew once he was alone, whistling playfully all the way up to the steps of his home.

 

 

 

 

●●●●

 

 

It didn’t take that long for Kyungsoo to doghandle Droopy into Jongin’s doorstep. After only a week or so he began listening to his owner’s commands again. It wasn’t really much of an improvement, he knows; but this was done under an impressive amount of time if you asked other Basset Hound owners. Their dogs were very painful to train.

Despite Droopy’s ever present whining and occasional growling as he semi-willingly trudged the steps toward Jongin’s house, he was there.  He wasn’t scrambling to get away. This is progress , Kyungsoo reminds himself.

After releasing a shaky breath Kyungsoo readies his hand to knock on Jongin’s front door, startling when it suddenly flies open; his knuckles hitting air instead. He drew his hand back, mildly flustered, and flashed him an uneasy smile. “Uh, h-hi.”

Droopy on the other hand kept sniffing around Jongin’s front door, even going so far as entering to sniff at Jongin’s feet. The dog began emitting throaty rumbles as a response;Kyungsoo exhaling once before tugging on his leash to reprimand him. “Droopy.”

Jongin dismissively waves his warning away with one hand. “It’s fine hyung, like I said—dogs don’t normally like me. And I’m honestly okay with that.”

Kyungsoo shakes his head, lips pressed tightly into a thin line. “But you don’t understand, Jongin. He’s never really like this. Droopy’s the friendliest dog I know—and I know a lot of dogs. I went to a dog ownersconvention last year in Incheon and I’ve met the whole lot of them. They weren’t nearly half as friendly as my Droopy.”

Jongin leans against his door frame, holding the door open with his weight but not quite inviting Kyungsoo in just yet. So they stand like that in the entry way, holding a conversation. “The whole lot of them, really?” Jongin asks with a raise of his eyebrow, eyes twinkling with something akin to amusement.

Kyungsoo nods, jerking his left thumb back in the general direction of his house. “I have pictures with all the dog breeds present in that event. If you want, I can show them to you sometime.”

Jongin’s smile expands, eyes flashing briefly with something Kyungsoo can’t identify. “Sure hyung, after my exams maybe. And what have you got there?” He asks as he reaches forward to palm the lunch bag Kyungsoo had slung around his left wrist. Droopy growls in warning from below them but remains stationary, conditioned to do so by Kyungsoo’s training. He notices, and congratulates himself mentally.

And then he looks back up at Jongin’s face, curiosity painted clear as a day, and remembers why he’s here with his dog in the first place.

“Oh this!”Kyungsoo exclaims. “I made this for you, Jongin. As an apology from Droopy and I.”

He hands the small bag over to Jongin with a shy grin. The latter takes it gratefully, eyes going wide as he examines the bag’s contents. Kyungsoo swears he might have seen Jongin’s ears twitch while he was peering inside the bag.

“Is this—“ He hears the other gasp. “Is this what I think it is? This is fish fillet and cheesy chicken omelet, right?” He brings the bag up above his face and sniffs the bottom part. “Christ, it is.” Jongin bites down on his lower lip, a sliver of a sharp canine showing; the action causing warmth to spread over Kyungsoo’s nape and cheeks.

“Yeah… those are actually my best dishes . I can only make so much.” He shrugs, the dusting of pink on his cheeks increasing. “But I hope you’ll like them just fine. You have a good nose, by the way. Kind of reminds me of Droopy’s nose over here.” Kyungsoo smiles at him after, his cheeks bunching up as he tugs on his dog’s leash affectionately. He barks in response.

“I get that a lot,” Jongin murmurs, voice soft, before gesturing for Kyungsoo to come in. “But you’ve brought me food and anyone who feeds me is already my best friend. Come on in, hyung.”

Kyungsoo looks hesitant as he remains standing by the door. “Ah, but we don’t really want to intrude…” His neighbor doesn’t say anything else as he turns around and walks further inside, feet padding against the tiled floors.

With a shrug he toes his shoes off and walks inside Jongin’s home alongside Droopy, whose ears lift and twitch every once in awhile as he takes in the unfamiliar surroundings. Kyungsoo’s sock clad feet glide along the smooth tiles of Jongin’s living room; steps slowing a little as he notices what’s in the hallway overseeing his mint green kitchen.

 

The living room hallway leading to the kitchen was small and narrow, a single picture frame on both sides being the only decoration adorning the cream colored walls. The frame on the left held a beautiful painting of wolves, a beautiful mess of brown, black and white fur as they’re drawn toppled on top of each other. Kyungsoo’s dog loving heart swooned, cooing at how the wolves are portrayed; noticing that their eyes were the most brightly painted in the entire canvass. The wolf lying at the side, the one with the coffee colored fur below the white one had an interesting set of eyes; the left one drawn liquid gold while the other was cool silver. The wolf’s stare held him in place; he was very much captivated.

“Kyungsoo-hyung?” his neighbor’s warm voice drifted past his thoughts like a warm caress, slowly easing him out of his trance.

He hadn’t even noticed Droopy scratching angrily at the bottom part of the wall, paint chipping and wood splintering off in tiny pieces while he was ogling the wolf painting. Kyungsoo quietly cursed under his breath and tugged Droopy away, feet moving in fast strides as he exits the hallway and enters the kitchen.

Jongin’s seated on a bar stool, broad shoulders hunched forward with one elbow leaned on the table as he picks tiny little pieces of the chicken strips with his thumb and forefinger and then popping them straight into his mouth. He lifts his head up as soon as Kyungsoo’s scent wafts into the kitchen, a smile immediately sliding into place.

Kyungsoo looks embarrassed as he leads Droopy past the refrigerator and onto the stools, crouching down once to lift him up on the nearest chair. “I’m sorry I took so long; I got distracted staring at that wolf painting in your living room. It was honestly really beautiful.”

Jongin grins at this; wide enough that the sharp-looking canine teeth peek out of the corners. “You think so? It’s actually a family heirloom. Passed from generation to generation of Kim’s.”

Kyungsoo absentmindedly down Droopy’s back as he answers Jongin. “Wow, really? That’s awesome. All I have as a family heirloom is my dad’s height.”

This forces an amused snort out of Jongin, his eyes glinting with mirth as he looks up at the other from under his lashes. “If your food didn’t taste so great, that joke would’ve landed you straight out of my door.”

Kyungsoo just grins; obviously pleased that Jongin hadn’t kicked him out despite his lame attempt at socializing. “I have my merits.”

Jongin nods, his soft fringe flopping around with the movement and causing it to disarrange. He blows the hair that had fallen over his eyes. “I second that. Anyway hyung, I know your house is just next door but since you’re my guest at the moment…would you like anything to drink?”

Kyungsoo shakes his head, glancing down at his dog when Droopy begins nipping on his fingers. “No Droopy, no,” he chastens quietly, pulling his hand away. But his dog retorts with a playful whine, opening his jaw wider so he can catch Kyungsoo’s hand back in his mouth.

Unable to resist his adorable dog, Kyungsoo lets Droopy have his way for a while—its ears flopping in glee, tail wagging in excitement as he teethes playfully on every area of Kyungsoo’s hand he could dent his chippers on. Forgetting that he was in a different home for a minute, Kyungsoo begins chuckling as Droopy’s bites become ticklish; fondly encouraging his behavior as he starts rubbing his dog’s hind legs from the side using his other hand.

The affection spurs Droopy to roll over and hold his hands and feet up for more, tongue peeking out of his mouth with his belly exposed. Kyungsoo all too happily obliges—rubbing his palm over and over the dog’s tummy area.

A loud whine definitely not from his dog resonates in the area, the sound piercing through Kyungsoo’s consciousness. He glances up at Jongin who’s looking at him with slightly glazed eyes and a pout, and then back at his dog who still had his arms and legs up in the air, panting and blinking innocently.

Kyungsoo’s brows furrow as he tries to place where he’s heard the very canine whine. Was it from Jongin, who’s staring at him with an oddly endearing puppy like expression but is very obviously human —or was it from Droopy, who he’s pretty sure didn’t make the sound but actually is a dog. Clearing his throat, Kyungsoo chances a look at Jongin again.

This time Jongin’s looking directly at him, and Kyungsoo, though a little surprised to find the other so blatantly staring, stares right back at him. As the seconds tick on, Kyungsoo notices something which makes his breath catch. The color of Jongin’s irises flashing differently— liquid gold and cool silver—before returning back to their warm brown. Kyungsoo’s own eyes widen and he snaps out of his trance, blinking in confusion.

Jongin’s voice is soft as he asks, “Are you okay there hyung? You seem dazed.”

He avoids eye contact with him, looking down instead at Droopy who’s surprisingly obediently sitting still. He scoops him up in his arms before answering.

“It was great spending time with you today Jongin, but I really have to go. Finals and everything.” He shrugs a little without jostling Droopy so much, masking the confusion he’s feeling with school work.

Jongin obviously doesn’t believe him but nods nonetheless, hopping out of his bar stool as he leads Kyungsoo out. “Well feel free to come back anytime soon, hyung. My door is always open for you and your cooking.”

Droopy stirs a little in his arms, peeking at Jongin from his position on his elbow as he reaches the front door. When Droopy hides back in his arms he lets out a breathy chuckle, holding Droopy close to him as Jongin opens the door. “I’ll keep that in mind.”

 

 

Nothing really changes between them after that; the weird event Kyungsoo experienced all but forgotten. They wave at each other when they cross paths outside of their homes, smiles are exchanged when they’re in close proximity, and Droopy’s treatment of him hasn’t changed much, still wanting to growl at Jongin every time he’s around.

 

 

●●●●

 

 

As Kyungsoo observes Droopy watching Jongin closely while he runs a lawn mower over his grassy front yard one day, something finally makes sense. Seeing as Droopy has begun hating Jongin’s very existence,—he realizes that this might have been the reason behind the price of the houses going down— having a weird dog repellant as a neighbor. Kyungsoo chuckles as he mulls this over in his head, making Jongin look up from the far end of the fence. The latter offers him a smile of his own, turning the other way around as his lawn mower swerves. Droopy somehow senses the shift in the atmosphere and takes it upon his doggy self to bark twice; adding a few grumbles in there too, for good measure.

Kyungsoo immediately calms the dog down by throwing his favorite ball at him; all animosity for Jongin forgotten momentarily as he chases after his favorite toy. He glances at his neighbor to see if the other has noticed his effort in calming his dog down for him, but he still had his back towards him so with a purse of his lips and a shrug, Kyungsoo looks away.

 

 

 

That night, something weird happens.

Droopy is restless; howling and yapping at Kyungsoo’s feet while he goes about the house, even going so far as biting on the other’s slippers while he was in the shower.

A little annoyed at having to walk around the house barefoot, he looks around for his slippers, calling out to his dog at the same time. “Droopy! Come here boy—give me my slippers back. Come on, I know you’ll give it back—“

A very pained howl that resonates throughout Kyungsoo’s entire being halts his movements, freezing him midstep as he closes his eyes, vein throbbing nonstop on his temple. Exhaling a shaky breath he wraps his arms around himself, worrying his bottom lip in between his teeth as he glances at the small window to his right.

The rising moon greets his startled eyes; big and bright amidst the inky black background.

What was that… ” he murmurs quietly, his eyes transfixed on the huge moon just above the horizon; full, gray and majestic. The silver tones of the moon remind Kyungsoo of the painting he saw in Jongin’s house, only noting now their startling similarity.

As if his feet weren’t his own they started moving on their own accord, propelling him closer towards the window. He peers outside—the inky black sky illuminated by the pale moon catching his attention first, before he looks down and is met with the same eyes he adored on the painting.

Kyungsoo steps back in shock, barely missing Droopy’s tail as he runs between his feet. His heart pounds as if he’d just run a marathon, threatening to leap out of his chest. Taking deep claiming breaths Kyungsoo tears his eyes away from the window and stares at Droopy rolling over his feet instead, willing the chill wanting to run down his spine to go away.

 

 

 

The next day comes with Kyungsoo having no recollection of what had happened the evening prior; having woken up with a headache lying in his own bed. Droopy was sprawled over his chest protectively, drooling while he slept. He moved him up and off him before depositing him back on the bed, staring at him for a few minutes trying to remember what had transpired last night.

When he comes up empty-handed he lets it go with a shrug, opting to start his day and get ready for school despite his muddled thoughts.

 

 

He arrives home a little earlier than expected, the traffic in the city minimal for once. He immediately spends his free time in the kitchen making Droopy’s dinner, the basset hound whining for a treat ever since he walked past the front door.

The meal is finished in record time, Kyungsoo mentally patting himself in the back for being such a good dog owner. Droopy almost trips all over himself running after his owner who’s halfway through the front door with his dinner, the stench of cheese and chicken strips luring him like an invisible leash. His tail wags in glee, barking in appreciation when Kyungsoo lowers the dish down where he could reach it.

Kyungsoo watches his dog eat for a few minutes before his stomach lets a hungry squeak of its own, patting it down with a grimace. He walks back inside after one last, fond glance.

 

Droopy is lazily lounging on the couch when he peeks at him after washing the dishes; his dog’s relaxed form his cue to collect his food tray and bring it back inside.

He walks towards his front door and takes a surprised step back after opening it when Jongin’s equally startled gaze meets his. He looks awkward, with his hands half-raised against his sides and his eyes wide with surprise; pink blotches blooming around in odd patches on the tanned skin of his neck and cheeks.

“Jongin?” Kyungsoo asks incredulously, eyebrows pinching together in the middle.

“I, um.” Jongin splutters, looking like he’s ready to bolt. He glances down at Droopy’s empty food bowl next to his feet, and then at Kyungsoo.

Kyungsoo follows his gaze and remembers what he was going out for, leaning down to pick the food bowl up. “I was looking for this,” He says before straightening up. “But what are you doing here, Jongin?” Then he looks back inside his house, free hand awkwardly gesturing behind him. “Did you—do youwant to go inside?”

Jongin declines his offer with a frantic shake of his head, hands flailing about. He gets a brief whiff of parmesan, and wonders if Jongin’s having the same cheese and chicks he’s made Droopy for dinner.

“No! No, I was just walking around the neighborhood and now I’m here. Haha, look at that. I’m leaving now though, bye!”

His neighbor spins on his heel without even giving him the chance to respond, leaving him to stare at the back of his plain white shirt and track pants. Jongin all but leaps over the line of well trimmed bushes separating their properties with surprising agility, and Kyungsoo can only stare at him as he does this, dumbfounded.

“The hell was that?” he asks himself with increasing confusion, only stepping back inside when his neighbor doesn’t show any signs of going back out anytime soon.

 

 

He sees Jongin a few more times after that peculiar incident, which is absolutely unavoidable since they’re neighbors and all. Jongin’s smile looks strained and forced whenever they cross paths, Kyungsoo returning his smiles with baffled grins. He never brings the incident up to him though, since they never really have the time to indulge in other pleasantries or small talk. He can only guess what he might have wanted that night.

Jongin remains his mysteriously weird but ridiculously hot neighbor, so close yet still so far after all this time (which is a shame, if you ask Kyungsoo. But he’ll never admit this to anyone; not even to himself.)

 

 

 

●●●●

 

 

Another full moon makes its way back up in the sky when Kyungsoo finally gets his next break from grad school, willing his mind to relax as he sits out in his front porch.

This time he’s eating next to Droopy, who has long passed out after just two bites of his new food. It’s canned dog food—the expensive kind—and poor Droopy’s stomach might not have been prepared for the onslaught of purebred pedigree because it put him right to sleep.

There’s a glass of wine in Kyungsoo’s right hand as his left rubs over his dog’s sleeping form, petting him even in his sleep. He’s pleasantly buzzed when the atmosphere outside gets increasingly dark, finally deciding to stand and clean up after he finishes the entire bottle of red wine.

He carries his food in first, one plate and glass at a time for each of his hands. He dawdles in the kitchen, trying to brush the mist away from his thoughts by washing his face and giggling. Wash and repeat. Thankfully, nothing breaks and he sobers up pretty quickly, ready to take back more glassware in the house after only a few minutes.

He walks back out and goes straight to the empty wine bottle, still bent over with his up in the air and his knee folded under him when he finally notices the presence to his left.

He turns his head in slow motion, eyes locking with another pair—liquid gold and warm silver—color made more prominent by how they’re wide open.

The figure with the odd colored eyes is clutching Droopy’s food bowl in between his hands, ears facing forward and bent in shame. There are remnants of the expensive canned dog food on his upper lip, and now that Kyungsoo’s openly staring at him, he kind of looks like Jongin.

He blinks at him before glancing down at the wine bottle in his hand.

“Damn.”

He sets the bottle back down and closes his eyes. When he reopens them, the figure next to him is still there; resembling Jongin more and more the longer he looks at him.

The other’s puppy-like ears twitch when his eyes do a little curious rake over his crouched body, only noticing now that he’s shirtless. And that there is a bushy tail peeking out of the back of his pants.

It’s caramel brown streaked with one stripe of gray and it looks so soft

Without thinking, Kyungsoo reaches out to poke the fine end of his bushy tail. The other growls low in his throat as a warning, tail flicking away from him. His eyes seem to glow in the semi-darkness of the outside; the glint in them striking him as something vaguely familiar.

He racks his brain for answers and come up empty handed, the creature in front of him remaining stationary as their eyes continue to lock. The air around them shifts and the tension becomes palpable; Kyungsoo’s sobering brain finally catching up with what exactly is happening to him at this instant.

Droopy barks from the inside, probably looking for Kyungsoo and his warmth (since it was already way past bedtime) and the sound brings back his conscious brain altogether, mouth forming a little ‘o’ as he realizes the situation.

“Is that my dog’s dinner dish? Did you just eat his leftovers?”

The creature in front of him whines, ears bending forward and tail curling under his crouched legs. He clutches the dish in his hands tighter before bringing it up to his mouth, pink tongue darting out to the remnants of the dish.

Kyungsoo cringes inwardly for a second before hesitantly offering his palm up. “Gross. Okay, bad dog. Now give that back—“

“No.”

 He talks!

The puppy-like creature in front of him looks resolutely prepared to defend the dish with his life, chest puffing out and lips curling back to show sharp canines. His voice was low when he spoke, a deep rumble in his chest akin to a soft growl. It reminded him more and more of his hot neighbor, Jongin.

It might just be the liquid courage running through his veins at the moment, but what Kyungsoo blurts out next is something sober Kyungsoo would never say out loud. Dog lover or not. He had limits. Drunk Kyungsoo apparently, doesn’t.

“Can I pet you, Jongin?”

His reaction is priceless—the other goes through a full body shudder before slowly moving forward on his knees, hands going on either side of Kyungsoo. They’re so close now, the other looking down at him with his fringe falling into his eyes. His ears twitch a little.

“How do you know it’s me?” He says again, odd-colored eyes regarding him curiously.

Kyungsoo swallows, Adam’s apple bobbing down as his eyes flit between the differently hued irises. “T-the painting…in your living room.” He swallows again, watching quietly as the expression on the other’s face changes from curious to knowing.

“Ah. Good memory.” His ears flick from slightly bent to straight as if to punctuate he had said. Still slightly drunk Kyungsoo quirks a smile at this instead of feeling weirded out, hands by his sides itching to run over Jongin’s soft looking ears.

“S-so, what are you then? A man-puppy-person? That’s why you’ve eaten Droopy’s high quality canned dog food? Oh! Oh my god,” he suddenly sits up, hands cupping Jongin’s broad shoulders.

“You’re the one who has been causing the ruckus regarding Droopy and his nightly feeding time, aren’t you? Holy Jongin! You’re the reason this house sold so low!”

“Shh! Shut up, hyung!” He pushes him down in alarm, his inhuman strength far stronger than the other’sas he easily overpowers him. His hand go over his mouth to cover it, practically sitting in his lap as he holds him in place.

The slight scuffle alerts Droopy and he begins bounding over to the still opened front door, probably having sniffed Jongin’s scent all over his owner that he starts barking from afar.

Jongin growls, the sound coming deep from his chest, canines showing again. He looks like he’s going to spring on the poor Basset Hound, his hind legs rearing back, leg muscles coiling in preparation. Kyungsoo, whose hands are free, fly up on their own to grip at Jongin’s hair, holding him back. He moves his face and shakes the other’s hands away, voice low as he says, “Down boy.”

He winces, face scrunching up before he springs off him and run through the open door and into his house. The sound of furniture being flipped over as well as angry barking and growling immediately ensue.

“Jongin, no!” Kyungsoo is up on his feet in seconds, wine bottle all but forgotten as he bolts back inside his house.

He runs over to get Droopy first whose fat bum prevents him from completely hiding the coffee table, Jongin following closely behind him with a toy bone in his mouth.

“Seriously, stop!” Kyungsoo demands, voice carrying anger. “What do you think you’re doing, terrorizing my poor dog, in my own home?”

Jongin surprisingly backs out, the liquid gold and warm silver of his eyes glowing a little before he runs out of the house—a blur of brown and a shock of white.

Kyungsoo’s heartbeat only slows when Droopy starts to generously his face, rough tongue dragging over and over his cheek in an effort to calm him down.

It works after a while, finally releasing the breaths he had unknowingly kept in his chest from the adrenaline rush of the prior events. Droopy nuzzles underneath his chin.

 

 

His neighbor was a dog. Okay.

So much for being a dog lover.

 

 

Drunk Kyungsoo certainly had more fun than Sober Kyungsoo, he jokingly tells himself as he begins cleaning the mess up much, much later that evening.

 

 

●●●●

 

Kyungsoo is up and early the next day, peering out of his bedroom window like a creep, trying to see his neighbor. Jongin is nowhere to be found, the outside of his neighbor’s house empty from where he can see; the driveway and street out front deserted as well at six in the morning.

With a huff he sits back down cross-legged on the bed, Droopy immediately drowsily climbing onto his lap. He absentmindedly cards his fingers through his short fur, the dog panting appreciatively against his thigh. No classes to distract him yet his mind wanders, especially back to the events of last night; the faint throbbing of his temple and the empty wine bottle downstairs proof that what had happened was all real.

So his neighbor is a dog. Kind of.

He leans back against his headboard, worrying his bottom lip between his teeth, mind still processing what he wanted to do with this situation. Clearly, Jongin wasn’t human. And he knows that now. Will he be killed for knowing? Will the other ask him to shut up and keep his secret forever?

He groans out loud in frustration.

He wouldn’t know unless Jongin approaches him first. His toes curl inwardly at the thought of waiting for the other to make the first move—he couldn’t afford to do that himself; he was in a physical disadvantage just in case Jongin started pulling out the big bad wolf on him.

Droopy looks up at him, puppy eyes watery as his mouth opens wide in a sleepy yawn.

Kyungsoo glances back at his dog with a fond smile, thumb rubbing behind his ears.

“If only all dogs were like you, Droopy.”

 

 

 

He doesn’t see Jongin at all that week. Or the week after that.

He’s getting frustrated at the other’s absence, impatient about dealing with the knowledge in his hands. He just wanted them to talk, for god’s sake! Suddenly seeing your neighbor as a puppy-man required proper mental after-care or some kind of explanation for closure.

Kyungsoo feels rightfully restless.

He can’t make himself wait any longer and sets into motion what he had planned (as backup) all those days ago.

He opens his kitchen cabinets.

 

 

Kyungsoo waits patiently with his bum on the couch, Droopy tucked safely in his bed. The seconds tick by faster and faster each time he glances up at the clock above his TV, making him anxious. Jongin didn’t seem to take the bait; it was still quiet outside his door.

It was a little over midnight when he finally chooses to stand up and declare the bait a fail. He was going to stop meddling into the supernatural like this; it was obvious the other wasn’t humoring him. With a disappointed sigh he makes his way to the door, tugging it open with the intent of bringing Droopy’s dishes back inside.

He yells in surprise; there’s a furry beast slobbering all over his porch!

Motivated entirely by adrenaline, he wastes no time in slamming the door shut, jumping away from it as he climbs up the flight of stairs to his room on the second floor. This is the safest place he could think of in his panicked state, rushing to close all the windows and then dropping tiredly into his bed.

Droopy rouses awake, sniffing and whining as he rolls over into Kyungsoo’s lap. He holds him, and then pulls the thick blanket up and over them, trying to ignore the steady sound of growling and scratching on his front porch.

 

 

 

“We need to talk.”

Kyungsoo opens the door late in the afternoon the next day to his neighbor in holey sweats, looking all vulnerable and human. He squints his eyes at him—he isn’t fooled.

He grips the door frame, one eyebrow rising cheekily as he’s unable to prevent himself from being a tad bit cocky.

“Are you finally ready to admit you’ve been eating out of my dog’s dish bowl for weeks?”

Jongin flushes at this, tan fingers fiddling at the hem of his oversized sweater.

Hyung. Don’t be like this. I’ll explain everything. Can I come in?”

“As long as you keep the fur in your pants,” he murmurs quietly, stepping back and letting the other in silently by tugging the door open wider.

Jongin looks relieved as he steps in, following behind him obediently when he moves to sit on the couch.

“You don’t really owe me anything aside from food but,” Kyungsoo begins, reaching up to run a hand through his hair. “If you want to talk, then talk.”

The other clears his throat with a curt nod, rolling the sleeves of his hoodie up to the bend of his elbow. The movement catches Kyungsoo’s eye, the exposed mocha tone of his skin and the small, curly hairs above it immensely distracting. With much difficulty, he flicks his gaze away.

“I’m sorry for scaring you last night. That wasn’t my intention, I swear. I just growl a lot when I’m hungry.”

 Huh? “That was you? I thought you were a dog-person—that, that thing last night was definitely not a dog.”

His neighbor looks offended, crossing his arms over his broad chest as he leans back on Kyungsoo’s couch. “I am not a dog, I’m a werewolf.

Kyungsoo’s expression looks like a bucket of question marks spilled on his face from how lost he looks. “So? What’s the difference?”

Jongin gasps, sitting up straight. “What’s the difference—I—“ he sighs, bringing a palm up to run it over his face in exasperation. “Nevermind. If I start with that one we’re going to be here all night.” He shakes his head, exhaling noisily. “All you need to know is that dogs and werewolves are immensely different—the latter is half-human, for one, and that we werewolves are far more superior  than those domesticated pups.” He wrinkles his nose for added effect, and Kyungsoo only rolls his eyes at the other’s antics.

“We have enhanced physical characteristics—and we shape shift. Freely, most of the time. But the waning and waxing of the moon affects us too, on rare occasions. We’re forced to shift into our wolf forms and go on an eating rampage.” He lifts his bare feet up on Kyungsoo’s couch and folds it underneath him, Indian style. Kyungsoo inhales at the phrase ‘eating rampage’ body unconsciously leaning away from him.

His neighbor frowns, the downward curve of his lips threatening to become a pout as his lower lip pushes out ever so slightly. “You have the right to be scared, to be honest. But hyung, times have changed. None of us eat people anymore. We prefer chicken and rabbit meat over anything else. And cheese. Oh my god, cheese.”

Kyungsoo scoffs at this, the nervousness starting to build on the pit of his stomach washed away by his neighbor being adorable. The feeling becomes something else instead and creeps up the hollow of his chest. His heartbeat fastens the tiniest bit.

“So that really was you? The big furry thing?”

Jongin nods, eyes earnest.

“Do you…do you need proof? I can shape shift right here. I won’t lose control—besides, it’s still early. You still have the sun on your side.” Jongin whips his head to the left where the wide living room window encases the slowly setting sun like a pretty picture frame, and Kyungsoo relaxes further into his seat.

“Yeah, yeah okay. Just let me get this—for protection.” Kyungsoo arranges some throw pillows into his lap, and grabs the nearest, hardest object he can find—Droopy’s clean dog dish on the coffee table. The slight irony of the situation causes a small grin to bloom on Jongin’s face.

“Okay, hyung. Ready?”

Kyungsoo nods, schooling his face into an expression of determination. “Ready.”

Jongin gets on his hands and knees, hanging his head low for a while as he struggles to concentrate bringing out his inner wolf. Kyungsoo watches in barely concealed awe as his neighbor’s back suddenly dips low and cracks—the sound loud and alarming; making him reach out to him in worry. He pulls back when Jongin suddenly looks up to engage him in an intense eye contact—his previously warm brown irises melting like rings of fire as they mold back to their original gold and silver color.

His jaw hangs open as he sees brown fur grow and cover every inch of Jongin’s skin; the sweater he wore breaking and tearing apart as his body doubles in size. His pants tear and fall off him in a mess of denim as well, making him technically on Kyungsoo’s couch as he transforms into a wolf. His ears come out last—sharp and pointed—which immediately flatten back on his head when Kyungsoo makes no move to acknowledge his transformation.

How could he, when he feels like he’s going to pee his pants any second? The sight he was lucky enough to be exposed to was majestic in its own right; supernatural beings were ethereal and Kyungsoo understands that now.

He finally moves when Jongin—the wolf—slowly moves towards him, one huge paw at a time, until he’s almost on Kyungsoo’s lap. He gently lowers himself down until his head, neck and front legs are comfortably situated on his lap; mouth slightly open with his tongue sticking out in rhythmic panting.

Kyungsoo’s eyes water in affection, looking down at his dog-like neighbor settling himself in his lap. With a soft sniffle he brings a hand up and then down to run it over the werewolf’s head and behind his ears, smiling widely with pride when he brings a soft whine out of him.

Jongin feels so warm and soft snuggled on his lap, his bulky form adding to the warmth seeping into his thighs. His fur is just as soft as he had imagined long ago, shining in health. Kyungsoo gladly runs his fingers again and again on top of Jongin’s head and behind his ears, then down to his neck as he freely pets him.

This is a trust exercise, a warm voice says in his head, and he stops moving. He glances down at the huge wolf on his lap.

“Was that—“

Me, yes. We can go into people’s thoughts by the way. Another thing dogs can’t do.

Kyungsoo rolls his eyes, tempted to pinch the werewolf by the base of his ears just because.

“If you weren’t so adorable sprawled on my lap right now, that shade on Droopy’s race would have landed you straight out of my door.”

Jongin shapeshifts in the blink of an eye, turning semi-human while keeping his wolf ears and eyes. He smirks at the way Kyungsoo’s eyes widen at his form laid out on his couch.

“I have my merits.”