The Confusion II

The Beauty and The Beauty
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 五

 

 

Daesung didn’t continue his runaway at night. He just ate another bread for his dinner, ignoring the thunder inside his stomach. At least the berry gave him energy for the time being.

He looked at Doto and pushed him down, asking him to sleep on the ground. He had to stay close with his horse because he didn’t have any fire with him. It was dangerous considering he was inside of a forest, but he had marked his territory before it’s late. Then, instead of napping on his make-shift tent, he decided to lay his back on his horse’s stomach, so he could stand by to whatever would confront him. The horse had his back and Daesung was thankful because of that.

He hugged his sword close, eyes looked up at the sky between the trees. It was amazingly clear, with stars and crescent moon.

 

 

“You talk with your eyes. I know someone like that. It was crescents-shaped too.” Seunghyun mumbled behind his robe, but Daesung could hear it.

Daesung heard him between the small gap of his sliding doors, the older man had stayed outside the chamber for three days a row. The second day he came to Daesung’s chamber, Daesung was about to sleep and heard weird footsteps between the raindrops. He slowly took his sword but then he heard a deep grunt.

“It’s me. Don’t worry and go back to sleep. I won’t be any harm for you. Just let me stay outside.”

The prince halted his movement, then sitting on his mattress still holding his sword. His mind questioning the intention of his step-brother who dared to come back to his chamber. But Daesung was very tired, mentally and physically. His step-mother caused some ruckus in royal kitchen, saying that no food suited her taste. It was the umpteenth time she acted like that, but it was getting off hand after the announcement of Daesung coronation by the council. Not to mention he was trained harder than ever as he had to show off his skill in front of the guest and his people.

Therefore, he fell asleep without questioning.

 

 

 

“Why are you here?” Daesung finally asked.

“I told you. The magic doesn’t work here,” the irritation was clear in his voice.

“Then why do you come here? Are you trying to hide from—” Daesung gulped some saliva before he continued, “—that witch?”

Daesung was taken aback when Seunghyun suddenly breached into his chamber, hand gripping the door. But Daesung was not weak, he took his knife and pointed it at Seunghyun.

The prince saw it again, the blood. Not a dried blood. There was an incision on his left cheek and another one was on his neck, near his collar bone. Daesung looked up again, but he only found a pair of sad eyes. Then Seunghyun just sat there, his bottom on Daesung’s chamber while his legs were outside.

“Yeah…” the older man finally spoke. “I am hiding from her. I don’t know why, but somehow she would never find me here. She is able to find me if I was in the garden, though. I think she knows me that I am hiding somewhere.”

“Wait, I still don’t get it.”

“Your chamber is invisible in her eyes. It would appear as an extension of the garden. It seems like there is someone putting a barrier she couldn’t enter. I believe it wasn’t the work of your Healer. Making invisible barrier required quite a skill which he doesn’t have yet.”

“Why could you enter the barrier then?”

“It works if only you’re present. If you’re not around your chamber, I can’t enter the barrier. But I can see your chamber. Not like her.”

Daesung stayed still to digest the information he had.

“I’m safe in here,” he mumbled almost quiet, burying his face into his robe again. “But I need to be strong. Just a little bit more…”

“What do you mean?” Daesung asked.

Seunghyun stood up, ready to close the door, “I think you have asked enough question already, Kang Daesung. I’ll be outside your chamber.”

Daesung held the door, but suddenly Seunghyun hugged him, bu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter