Chapter 1

Thunder

A large boom of thunder startled Taemin awake. He sat up, breathing heavy and clutching the blankets tightly in his fists. His first thought was of his roommate, who was not in his bed. A flash of light and more deep rumbling had Taemin quickly padding out of the room in search of Jonghyun. Taemin’s eyes fell on his back, in the kitchen, sitting at the table with papers spread around him. He wore headphones and glasses, along with a baggy white t-shirt and sweatpants. He was most likely writing lyrics, something he had often stayed up late doing. 
 
“I think better at night,” He had replied after Taemin had previously questioned him about it. Jonghyun had replied with a grin and a wink that had Taemin in a fit of laughter. 
 
Taemin crept up behind Jonghyun and slipped his arms around Jonghyun’s broad frame, startling him out of his thoughts. “What’s wrong Taeminnie?” He questioned in a parent-like tone. He gazed at Taemin with eyes full of concern and pulled his headphones off, giving the maknae his full attention. Taemin’s lip jutted out and he huffed slightly, cheeks puffing out. 
 
“The storm woke me up, and now I am too scared to go back to sleep without you in the room, Hyung.” Jonghyun raised an eyebrow questioningly.
 
“Storm? I didn’t hear anything-” Jonghyun was interrupted by a particularly loud boom of thunder, causing Taemin to shudder and close his eyes. “Shh, it’s okay. We are safe in here, ne?” He tried to comfort the younger male but to no avail. Taemin was still making little whimpering noises and flinching every time he saw a flash of light in the window a few feet away. 
 
“Hyung, I’m scared,” Taemin whispered, eyes shut tightly. Heavy rain pelted the sides of the building, further scaring the boy. 
 
“Let’s go sit in the living room,” Jonghyun suggested, wanting to get Taemin away from the window. Taemin nodded and waited as Jonghyun gathered his papers before following him into the living room. Jonghyun sat down on the right side of their sofa, patting his lap. “You can lay here while I work, if you would like,” He offered, a light pink dusting his cheeks. Taemin nodded and laid down on the couch, resting his head on Jonghyun’s lap and curling up. Jonghyun grabbed the blanket from the side of the couch and covered Taemin. Jonghyun continued to work to the best of his ability but was distracted by the thought of Taemin in such close proximity to his heart. ‘What if he hears my heartbeat? It feels louder than the thunder right now,’ he thought nervously. After a few minutes of silence, he put his papers to the side. “
 
“Taemin-ah, are you still awake?” He whispered softly to the small frame resting on him. Taemin nodded, before shifting around to a position where he could look up at Jonghyun. Jonghyun’s heart lurched as they made eye-contact. Taemin looked so… attractive in the dim light with a sleepy expression. Jonghyun desperately fought the urge to kiss those plump, parted lips.
 
“Hyung?” Taemin mumbled sleepily, “What’s wrong? Why are you just staring at me?” Jonghyun blushed and looked away quickly, stammering out a quick ‘nothing!’ before busying himself by trying to read the clock on the far side of the room. He was startled as Taemin moved, sitting up and looking at his hyung with an expression similar to a confused puppy. A sudden boom of thunder had Taemin shrieking and shoving his face into Jonghyun’s lap, much to his surprise. It took all of Jonghyun’s might to stop himself from shoving Taemin off of him and gently tried to push him back into a sitting position as quickly as possible. 
 
“Noooo….” Taemin groaned, pouting up at Jonghyun. Jonghyun tried to keep his mind innocent as he stood up and led Taemin back to their room, not bothering to pick up after them. Key would probably throw a fit in the morning, but oh well. Jonghyun pushed the two of their twin beds together in the middle of the room before gesturing to Taemin. 
 
“There. Now you won’t be scared,” He explained and Taemin’s eyes lit up. He plopped onto his side of the bed, looking up at Jonghyun expectantly before patting the bed next to him. Jonghyun chuckled and joined Taemin on the bed, pulling the covers over the both of them so they overlap in the middle. Taemin snuggled closer to his Hyung’s chest, closing his eyes contently. Jonghyun wrapped an arm around Taemin and pulled him closer, his face close to the top of Taemin’s head. They stayed like that for a few seconds, just listening to the sounds of the storm and their own breathing before Taemin spoke up, his voice little more than a whisper.
 
“Goodnight, Hyung.” 
 
“‘Night, Taeminnie,” Jonghyun replied, the corners of his mouth upturned ever so slightly. 
 
With that, the two of them quickly fell asleep. The next morning, sure enough, Key complained about the mess and went to wake up the two culprits. He was stopped, however, at the sight of the two of them: Jonghyun was being held in Taemin’s arms, much to the surprise of Key. Key sniggered and took a quick picture for future blackmail before walking over to them and taking away their blankets, effectively waking the two of them up. “Wake up, lovebirds! You all didn’t clean up your mess last night so now you have to make breakfast.”
 
Key was answered with two groans of annoyance.