III. Careless

Bodyguard

 

Beep! Beep! Beep! Beep!

 

I yawned loudly as my alarm's deafening sound bounced off the walls of my room. I rolled around to turn it off but let out a loud gasp as my body hit the floor with a thud. (starts singing let the bodies hit the floor by Linkin Park)

"," I whispered in pain, feeling my arm that was still injured from yesterday. 

"Hee Young, will you please turn that off?!" Soo Jin yelled from the other room. I rolled my eyes and sighed, slamming my hand down on the alarm clock, silence filling the air afterwards.

9:00 am

I ruffled my hair and kicked my feet around childishly. 

"Must I report to work and keep my jerk brother safe?" I mumbled to myself, tilting my head tiredly.

"Of course you have to keep the CEO safe. What to do if he actually gets assassinated?! Omo, I can't imagine a world without him."

I looked behind me, and saw Soo Jin already dressed in a tux, hair slick back, fake crying and fanning himself. "Yah, we're not going to a ball. Why are you so nicely dressed o? Go put on your uniform," I demanded and walked past him into the restroom. He let out an annoyed "aish", but obediently went to change into his uniform.

After preparing for work, Soo Jin and I was driven to the company once again in a new limo this time. 

"Yah, Hee Young-ah, wouldn't it be funny if this one was also shot down?" Soo Jin whispered to me and giggled. I looked at him with a dirty face and raised my hand, threatening to hit him.

"You think that's funny o?! If you really want to die, just ask me and I'll make sure you pass a slow and horrible death," I said and reverted back to my normal sitting position. 

"Aish Hee Young-ah, you can be really scary sometimes."

 

Shi Woo was doing paperwork when Soo Jin and I entered. 

"Park Hee Young reporting to duty along with Kim Soo Jin." After announcing our presence, Shi Woo finally looked up and gave us an almost unnoticable small smile. 

"Please enter and make yourselves at home. Inform me about your duty once again if you will," he responded.

I bowed 90 degrees before replying. "Kim Soo Jin here is a top class hacker which means he can keep an eye on the surroundings with the security cameras that are placed around the Shinhan Company. I, on the other hand, am here to manually check around and keep an eye out on the places where even the security cameras can't reach. Additionally, we have to check this place everyday in case of secretly planted bombs, or possibly close up assassinations if they become careless. I will be here to protect you physically and make sure nothing happens to you. Think of me as your shield."

He stared at me for a long time, his eyes seemed lost and dazed. 

I stood there uncomfortably before leading Soo Jin to a corner of the large office, helping him set up his PC. 

"Excuse me, I'll be going to the restroom." Shi Woo's voice echoed throughout the spacious office. I looked his direction and nodded. 

He exitted through the double doors and I immediately stood up to go check the huge window that was behind him. The building that the guy from yesterday was on was just across from me. 

"It seems he's been aiming at the wrong windows," I murmured and sighed in relief. I began to walk towards Soo Jin again, but a picture on Shi Woo's desk caught my eye. It was of him, Jimin, and I. I slowly reached out to grab the frame, and tried my best to hold back tears. I suddenly wished I could turn back time, as I put the frame back where it was. The many papers that were scattered on his desk was torture to just look at. A bright yellow paper was hidden underneath all the white paper, and I tilted my head in curiosity. Before I could stick my nose around his things any further, the double doors swung open and I swiftly walked away from Shi Woo's desk.

He returned to his desk in a silent manner and continued to work robotically.

I sighed and turned to Soo Jin's PC, which had the security cameras set up on it already. For hours, we stared at the screen, checking around for any signs of the assassin, but he never made an appearance. I looked at my watch and exhaled. 

"Yah, Soo Jin-ah. It's been such an unproductive day," I said, my chin resting on my palm, looking at him boredly. He huffed and leaned back in his chair.

"I couldn't agree more. Maybe you scared him away? Maybe we're doing this for useless reasons. All I know is, I want to go home and sleep. I nearly dozed off 100 times watching these cameras and seeing nothing show up. Maybe you should go check outside at the places the security cameras don't reach," he suggested.

I tiredly nodded and grabbed a cup of coffee on my way out. 

"No time for laziness Hee Young," I mumbled to myself, taking a sip of my coffee and then walking around with my chest out to show some sort of authority. Suddenly, my phone buzzed.

"Yeobsaeyo?" I answered.

"Hee Young-ah, check the satelitte on top of the ShinHwa building next to the ShinHan company. There seems to be some weird feedback and static coming from up there. The assassin can possibly be up there using a walkie talkie to mess with the frequency or worse, hacking into the audio systems," Soo Jin's voice frantically informed from the other side of the phone. 

"Alright, I'll see what I can do."

It was 11 pm now, and there were only a few people still coming in and out of the building. Since this building was associated with my father's company, it was okay to walk in and out from both buildings without trouble. Thank God for that, because I was not down to climb no building again, especially with an injured arm and all.

I greeted everyone I passed by politely, then proceeded to go to the top floor of the building in the elevator.

When I reached the door that opened to the roof, I grabbed my pocket knives under my skirt and twirled them around in my hand, walking around quietly and searching for my victim. Sure enough, as Soo Jin had predicted, the black figure was back. This time, he was carrying a Sako TRG.

"Maybe I can add that gun to my collection as well," I thought and smirked.

I was as quiet as possible, but to my surprise, he turned around and aimed his gun at me, then pulled the trigger without hesitation. I immediately ducked and his bullet missed. I scoffed and threw one of my pocket knives at him, scratching his cheek with the sharp edge, leaving a bleeding open wound. I noticed that he was wearing a full face mask now, but the metallic smell of blood was all too familiar even though I couldn't see it through the black fabric.

He felt his bleeding cheek, and his eyes turned into fury.

"Don't bother me."

I furrowed my eyebrows at him, anger taking over me as well. "If you dare hurt my family, I'll make sure to hurt you in a far worse way." He scoffed in response, aiming at me and pulling the trigger again. I quickly cartwheeled to the side and landed on my feet. "Just don't hurt my family and I'll let you off." He pulled the trigger again and again, but I dodged everytime successfully. Before he knew it, his bullets were gone and he scrambled for the ammo in his bag but I sprinted towards it and threw it down the building. He skidded back and scoffed, raising his hands in the air, my one knife pointed directly at him. He fixedly looked into my eyes, and I backed him up to the edge of the roof, pushing his body outwards. He looked down and saw the steep drop below.

"Tell me why you want to kill the CEO."

"Tell me why you care about him so much."

My eyes softened, but I immediately tightened my grip on his shirt once again, forcing him to lean out even more. "That's none of your business. What is your motive?!" I shouted.

He smirked, and seemed to his lips. 

"Money."

My heart flipped and I was disgusted at his answer. Money wasn't even worth anywhere near my brother's life. He was surely inhumane.

I grabbed onto the top of his face mask, proceeding to pull it off.

"Well I got you now," I sternly said.

He suddenly pushed me away from him roughly, recovering back into standing position, and then grabbing me by the wrist, leaning me out now. Our positions were changed.

I froze in fear of heights, clinging onto his neck for dear ing life.

"That's what you think." His voice was husky and deep, and his eyes looked different. Cold metal was pressed against my lower abdomen and I immediately felt pain shoot through my body. His eyes stayed in contact with mine, and I angrily shoved my entire pocket knife deep into his back. He grunted loudly and backed away, trying to reach for the knife inside his back. The impact of the bullet made my body slowly slip over the edge, and I snapped back into reality just in time to reach for my hooking gun. I shot at the top of the building and the wire ended just in time for me to only semi-harshly collide on the ground. 

My body ached, and I couldn't even feel my stomach anymore. Everything was numb but the piercing pain I felt in my abdomen. I limped away and didn't make it far before I collapsed again. 

", if he sees me, he might shoot me again,"I thought, and quickly hid behind the bushes surrounding the building.

 

Is... Is this where I die.

Please tell me I'll live.

I want to live.

For my brother.

You've taken my mother already,

Please don't take me now.

It isn't fair to my family.

It isn't fair...

 

"Hee Young-ah... Hee Young? Can you hear me...?"

 

I don't know how much time passed, but I awoke in a hospital bed.

"W-Where am I....?" I whispered, trying to sit up. The pain in my stomach electrocuted through my body and I immediately layed back down. "For 's sake."

Something moved beside me, and I noticed the brown leather jacket immediately.

Soo Jin rubbed his eyes and looked up at me, still half sleeping.

"Oh, Hee Young-ah, you're awake..... WAIT. YOU'RE AWAKE. HEE YOUNG-AH. YOU'RE REALLY AWAKE."

I tried not to laugh so I wouldn't cause anymore pain to my stomach. "Soo Jin-ah... How did I get here?" I finally asked. He tilted his head and shrugged. 

"Mwolla-sseo. That Ahjumma Han called and was sobbing. She was really worried about you. BUT ANYWAYS, THE GOOD NEWS IS YOU'RE AWAKE. I'M SO HAPPY, I THOUGHT YOU WERE DEAD FOREVER BECAUSE YOU'VE BEEN ASLEEP FOR LIKE 4 DAYS NOW AND I THOUGHT YOU WEREN'T GOING TO WAKE UP AND WORK WITH ME AND JOKE AROUND WITH ME AND TEASE ME AND HIT ME REALLY HARD WHEN YOU LAUGH ANYMORE." Soo Jin held my hand in both of his and smashed it on his forehead. "Pabo, pabo, pabo! I should've never told you to go up there. I SHOULD'VE KNOWN TO CALL THE COPS EVEN BEFORE YOU ARRIVED AT THE BUILDING FOR BACK UP. I SHOULD'VE - Wait, I'm not the one to blame here. YOU ARE. YOU SHOULD BE BETTER ARMED AND HAVE BACK UP AT ALL TIMES AND BE MORE CAREFUL. YOU'RE NOT MADE OF BULLETPROOF METAL HEE YOUNG. YOU'RE HUMAN YOU CARELESS WOMAN."

I pulled my hand away from his and turned my back to him.

"I'm fine. No one is to blame here," I simply replied.

He quickly ran to the other side of the hospital bed, facing me once again. "Chinja~, be more careful next time, o?! Arm yourself better, use your brain more, and act quickly. You scared me almost to my death when I received the call that you were in the hospital. Don't do this ever again. I really thought you were dead."

I huffed and pushed his forehead away from me. 

"Arasso appa ~. I'll be more careful next time, and carry an AK47 up my skirt," I sarcastically replied and rolled my eyes while laughing. 

"A small handgun will do," he responded, annoyed at my casual response to my serious injury.

"Can you go bring me my belongings? I need my phone so I could call Nurse Han and tell her I'm fine." 

Soo Jin nodded obediently and arrived back with the plastic bag that contained my belongings which were placed inside my clothes. I reached in for my phone and dialed Nurse Han's number immediately.

Instantly, I heard her soft yet concerned voice coming from the other side.

"Hee Young-ah? Are you okay? Did you need me to make you chicken soup? I prepared so many meals for you while you were sleeping, but since you didn't ever wake up to eat them, Soo Jin ate them for you. (here Soo Jin looked away shamefully) I hope you're doing better now. I'll come visit right after my work shift is over. What do you feel like eating today, o?" Nurse Han caringly said in a soothing voice. 

I smiled at how much she always put others before herself. 

"Ani~, don't come if you're busy Nurse Han. You shouldn't put all that burden on your shoulders. I'll be fine here. Besides, Soo Jin is here with me, and I'll make sure he repays me back for all those meals he ate "for me". Kahmsamnida Nurse Han. I'm doing better now though. Although I still can't really sit up because the pain is almost unbearable."

"It's not a burden. I'm so worried about you, I'll come later and give you a massage then, okay? Oh, I have an appointment scheduled in 5 minutes. I must get ready. Then, take care and eat well! See you later!"

The call ended and I sighed happily. It felt nice to have someone care about me, and be a mother figure.

"Ohhhhh~ I didn't know you were so feminine Hee Young~," Soo Jin suddenly blurted out. I looked towards him and saw him holding up something white and lacey,

At first I thought it was my underwear but I felt the hem of my undergarment underneath my hospital dress, so that couldn't be it. I swiftly grabbed it from him and examined it. 

"What's this..?" I asked myself and unfolded it. 

It was a white handkerchief lined with delicate lace with a bright red rose embroidery at the bottom corner. My eyes widened, and I instinctively sat up, but quickly remembered that was a bad idea. I smelled the handkerchief and a memory flashed through my head. My mom used to always make these. In fact, I had my own that I kept in my bedroom drawer. It was the only thing that she had left behind for me.

"P ... J," Soo Jin said slowly, reading the initials next to the rose embroidery.

 

 

 

 

"Park ... Jimin ...?"

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Hello my lovelies~! Omg, surprise surprise.

I updated yesterday, and now I'm updating today.

I'm trying to make my chapters longer, but I feel like it ends up

making the story feel "dragged on" and I don't know how I feel about that LOL.

But then again , stories take time to progress and I suddenly remember I can't just jump

into the main plot points and everything at once, so bear with me as I slowly write this xD

I hope you all enjoyed this chapter, and thank you for supporting me! <3

- simply_writing <3

 

 

 

Quote of the day: "Maybe I can never fly, like those flower petals there, wings, like other things, are impossible. Maybe I can't touch the sky, but even so, I want to stretch out my hands, I want to try to run, just a little more."

      - Jin