First Snow(Tao)

SPNKP'S Big Book of One Shots

The atmosphere was perfect. Snow was falling outside, covering everything in a thick blanket of pure white. The cocoa in your hands was keeping you warm from the bitter chill that was creeping into your Yonsei flat, music playing and a good book in your other hand as you curled under a cozy blanket. There was only one thing missing though, and that kept this brisk Christmas night from being at the pinnacle of its perfection. Your boyfriend, Tao, was overseas in China visiting family and wouldn't be back until after New Years. That made two holidays you'd be spending without him. It hurt a little because this was the first year this would be happening. Your flat felt empty without him at your side to curl up with, opening gifts that neither of you really needed but accepted anyway because well..they were from you both.

You sighed and put down your book, picking up your phone instead with your thumb hovering over his contact. You debated calling him, worried about bothering him when he could be enjoying his holiday with his family. Better to ask forgiveness later than permission now you think as you call his number and put the phone to your ear. You missed him and right now his voice would be the ultimate medicine for your lonely blue Christmas.

"Your ears must have been ringing. I was just talking about you." Zitao answered with that silly smile in his voie. you didn't even need to see him to know it was there. Although you really would have liked to see it right about now.

"Well hello to you too, dork." You muse, giggling as you mess with the panda charm on your necklace, a gift from him. "Merry Christmas, Tao." You say with a sad little sigh at the end.

"Merry Christmas baby girl. Is my sweetheart missing me yet?" You knew he was only shooting for a rise out of you but you secretly melted at the pet names. On top of that, you really did miss him.

"I missed you the second you told me you were leaving on this trip, what the hell are you saying?" You scoffed with a little smirk, getting a laugh out of him. That laugh you'd come to love after finding it annoying for ages.

"I can say the same, babe. But I didn't leave without plans for a gift. Do me a favor and go outside?" There was a tone in his voice that you couldn't quite identify, but you still abandoned your cozy cocoon at his request.

"What's outside?" You asked, even though you knew he wouldn't give you an answer other than 'you'll see'. That's exacly what he gave you, too. You sighed dramatically but still went to the door, opening it and hugging yourself as you stepped out. You were vaguely aware of a pair of eyes trained on you but when you looked around, no one was there. No one except for a little Australian Shepherd puppy sitting at your door. You let out a squeal of delight and bent down to pick up the animal, gasping when you saw the glittering diamond ring tied to his collar. "....Tao?..." You utter into the phone. The line had gone dead, however.

Hearing footsteps, you look up and see none other than Huang Zitao. You gasped even louder and covered your mouth, nearly dropping the puppy. Icy tears stung your eyes and you flung yourself into his outspread arms. "I missed you too, princess." He laughed and hugged you tightly before squirming the puppy out of your grasp. He pulled himself away and dropped down slowly in the snow, holding up the little guy with the ring visible. "Marry us?"