What A Sight

What a Sight
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The loud noise of an alarm rang through a small dorm room. The owner of the room groan as her hands tried to reach her phone and turn off the alarm. When she finally felt the phone on the palm of her hand, she grabbed it lazily. She tried to open her eyes but it felt far too heavy. With much effort she opened her eyes slightly, squinting from the sunlight that passed through her small window that was facing east which made it far too bright in the morning. She cursed the architect that made this place countless of times because of that. Her blurred vision adjust to the light and she finally saw her phone clock indicating that the time was 7.45 a.m. She scrambled from her bed, almost falling face first to the floor. The girl went and put on clothes, and dash to the bathroom. She brushed her teeth quickly and brushed her hair at the same time. After record breaking time, she run out from the dorm and to the campus.

 

She ran out as fast as she can to her class, some passerby say hi to her but she was in a rush to greet back. When she finally reached her class, she was huffing and puffing. Her forehead covered in sweat and she was a mess. She was attracting attention from everyone in the class who looked at her direction when she went through the door which made her embarrassed. She scanned the classroom to find her professor not in yet. She was screaming in victory inside her mind and hurriedly took a seat at an empty chair in the middle of the class. A few of her classmate greet her and she said hi in return. Not long after she took a seat, the professor walked in. It was lucky that she manage to get there in time even after she overslept. She was not a morning person after all, but she didn’t have much of a choice, this was the only class left. Curse whoever made morning class a thing, they must be a bunch of morning people who woke up at five in the morning and drink coffee leisurely while reading newspaper, she truly can’t relate.

 

After three agonizing hours of trying to stay awake, the class was finally done. She let her head fell lifelessly on the table with a thud, contemplating between sleeping here until her next class in an hour or have a mediocre tasting breakfast and ty coffee at the cafeteria. It didn’t take much thinking, she closed her eyes and was ready to fall asleep. It was short lived though, because she felt someone poking her head continuously. She groaned in annoyance and fling her arm around to the direction of the perpetrator who disturb her slumber. She stopped when she felt the person had stopped bothering her. She tried to sleep again, letting out a sigh of content in the process. The person who tried to wake her up hadn’t gave up though, as they shouted her name.

 

“Nayoung-ah.” The person called to Nayoung’s ear.

“Yah! Im Nayoung!” They tried again, only much louder this time.

 

Nayoung jolted awake in surprised, she was ticked off and ready to put her famous stone face on to scare the person who disturbed her. The person who disturbed her was a Kim Sojung or more known as Sowon, who had been friend with Nayoung since she first get into university. Nayoung’s glare didn’t seems to work on Sowon, she was unfazed. Sowon had a smile dancing around her lips instead as she knew that she had annoyed Nayoung from waking her up from her beauty sleep.

 

“Sowon-ah, that wasn’t nice. Look at how shocked Nayoung-ie was.” Another voice said. Nayoung glanced beside Sowon to find a petite hamster like girl slapping Sowon’s shoulder lightly, it was Kim Chungha, another one of Nayoung’s friend.

“She won’t wake up otherwise Chungha.” Sowon commented.

 

Nayoung looked at them with her famous expressionless look, because she seriously couldn’t bother to smile, especially right now.

 

“You should do something about your resting face. Didn’t you know? You are famous already among the freshman as Stone Buddha because of how you are during the welcoming ceremony.” Sowon informed Nayoung. Nayoung probably should care but honestly she doesn’t.

“Since you are awake already, why don’t we go get breakfast?” Chungha then looked at her watch.

“I mean brunch, or we can call it lunch actually.” She corrected when she saw the time.

 

Nayoung was reluctant to go but Chungha and Sowon started lecturing her about her health and all of that. Nayoung dragged herself with the little energy that she have left to the cafeteria to eat her first intake of food for the day. Nayoung’s face flinch in displease when she saw what was served at the cafeteria that day. A blob of green mushy thing, mixed vegetables that probably came out from the frozen section of the supermarket, some sort of sliced mystery meat and rice. The only decent thing was rice, plain white rice, but Nayoung wasn’t about to eat plain rice. She then grabbed a sandwich along with cup noddle and apple juice at the store instead. Sowon had her packed lunch and Chungha was eating her beloved dried sweet potatoes and some bread. Nayoung was a fast eater, so she was done in under ten minutes. She soon felt sleepy again as she finished eating. Nayoung placed her head on the table and was about to sleep again when suddenly her phone let out a chime, telling her that she received a message. She took a glance at the sender and didn’t even bother to read the message, a spam. Sowon and Chungha looked at her with questioning eyes, but Nayoung ignored them and continue lazing around on the table.

 

She was about to fall asleep again when her friends woke her up and told her that it was time for her next class. Nayoung exhaled loudly before she half crawl to her next class. It was another three hours of torture and she still have one more class to go for the day. By the last class, Nayoung didn’t even bother to stay awake. It was fortunate that her professor didn’t find out that she was sleeping through her class.

 

#####

 

Nayoung was not doing great that day. It was already the end of classes but she was stuck in the student body with a mountain of paper work to look over. She was after all the student body president. She really didn’t know how she got elected. Nayoung was the kind of person that would rather keep her head down, but somehow she was appointed as the president. She blame her friend Sowon as the cause of her suffering when Sowon fill out a form for Nayoung to apply to be the president without her even knowing. Well, Sowon did asked for her signature but Nayoung was probably at fault for not reading through the paper and just singed away, much to Sowon pleasure. From that day on ward, Nayoung never singed any paper without reading it through, which she should had done since the beginning.

 

There was not much that she can do for now expect to do the work. Nayoung might not like it, but she wasn’t one to throw responsibilities away. At least Sowon made herself the vice president to help Nayoung out. Nayoung still have a grudge against Sowon though. Speak of the devil, Sowon came into the room with two cup of coffee. Nayoung let out a sigh of relief and took the cup from Sowon, taking a slow sip of the hot liquid as she relaxed her tense shoulder. After a short moment of relaxation, Nayoung gather a pile of documents that were done and ready to be handled to the administration office. She stood up from her seat with much displeasure to make a trip to the said office and drop off the document.

 

“You’re in a bad mood today. Trouble in paradise?” Sowon raised her eyebrow and asked Nayoung teasingly.

“I don’t want to talk about it.” Nayoung answered directly.

 

Sowon shrugged at her best friend moodiness and continued to work on the paper, the sooner they finish the sooner they can get out of the small dusty room after all. Nayoung stretched her arms up before lifting up the pile of papers. Her arms felt so tense and her bicep flexed already from the heavy load. At times like this she was thankful that she was somewhat athletic. Nayoung let out a grunt as she took a few steps to the door to deliver the document. Sowon opened the door for Nayoung because she that had her hands full already. Nayoung breathed out as she stepped into the hallway. It was thankfully deserted, since honestly, Nayoung couldn’t see very well. Her vision was obscured by the mountain of document in front of her. She hyped herself up and pull up the loads in her arms so she can get it over with. She really want to take a nap to repair her foul mood.

 

Just as she turn to the corner she was met with a figure that appeared suddenly. The figure also seems to not notice Nayoung’s presence. They crashed into each other, loud thuds accompanying their fall. Nayoung felt her veins popped out from her temple. She was already having a bad day and now this. This day really couldn’t get any tier. Nayoung gritted her teeth as she stood up and gathered the papers that scatters all over the place. As she grabbed the documents of the floor she glared up at the culprit that ruin her already ruined day, if that was possible.

 

“Watch where you are going…”

 

Nayoung tone went from loud to almost whisper when she saw the person that crashed into her. She certainly wasn’t expecting that. The one that she crashed into was a girl. A really beautiful girl that Nayoung never saw before. Nayoung pull her off the floor, rubbing the sore spot on her hips. It might bruise later on.

 

“I’m sorry.” The girl said.

 

The girl hasn’t got up and Nayoung somehow feel sorry for the girl. Nayoung scratched her head before offering her hand to help pull up the girl. The girl however didn’t respond to her offer and just stare blankly to her front. Nayoung was slightly hurt by how the girl rejected her help without saying anything. The girl then started to search around the floor with her hands, eyes still unmoving. Nayoung was beyond confused until she saw the cane and sunglasses across the floor. The girl was blind. Nayoung felt something in her stomach twist as the girl struggle to search for her cane. Nayoung took the cane and gave it to the girl, she also pulled the girl by her elbow.

 

“Here, let me help you stand up.” Nayoung said to the girl.

 

The girl stood up with Nayoung’s help. Nayoung then took a few step behind the girl and took the sunglasses that had flow off during their crash and placing it on the girl’s hand. The girl felt that Nayoung had return her glasses to her, she then proceed to put it on, covering her unmoving eyes. Nayoung also saw a cane had travel across the hall, Nayoung hastily picked it up and gave it to the girl, their fingers brushing accidentally. Nayoung retract her hands quickly, slightly flustered.

 

“Thank you.” The girl said.

“Yeah, it’s okay.” Nayoung replied stiffly.

 

Nayoung was uncomfortable with this situation, she honestly don’t know what she was supposed to do. This was the first time she had ever encounter someone with sight impairment. Nayoung scratch her head again, and then she realized that the papers that she had carried with her was all over the floor. It was a mess. Nayoung sigh without even realizing it. The girl seems to hear the distress in Nayoung’s voice. Nayoung went and picked up all of the papers with much struggle, considering how many there were. She seems to pick up the situation and tried to help Nayoung picked up the paper but it was futile. She did manage to pick up a couple of the paper though and gave it to Nayoung.

 

“I’m really sorry.” the girl said again.

“No it’s okay. It was my bad, I should be more careful.” Nayoung said as she picked up the last few papers.

 

They stood there awkwardly, with Nayoung’s arm getting numb from the heavy load.

 

“I better get going then.” Nayoung said.

“Ah, yes. Thank you very much.” The girl said.

 

Nayoung nodded her head to the girl only to realize that the girl couldn’t see her. Nayoung felt stupid and insensitive. She frowned at herself and she went past the girl to relief her torture from the damned paper. She should have asked Sowon to help her carried it. The girl suddenly called for her though and Nayoung halted immediately, turning back to the girl.

 

“Excuse me. Miss?” The girl said rather timidly.

 

Nayoung waited until the girl talk only to realize that she should say something because the girl probably didn’t know that she stopped. If her hands were free, Nayoung would have hit her own head because of her own stupidity. She calmed herself without making any sounds before answering the girl.

 

“Yes?”

“Oh you’re still here. I thought you left.” The girl was somewhat happy? And it confused Nayoung, how should she react to that? The girl waited but Nayoung wasn’t replying, still in a daze.

“I’m here.” Nayoung said, as she didn’t know how else to reply, she does hope it doesn’t sound sarcastic.

“Can you tell me the direction to the administration office?”

“I’m going there too, shall we go together then?” Nayoung figured it would be better, she would feel horrible if the girl got lost and they were going the same way.

”That would be wonderful, thank you.” The girl smiled so brightly and Nayoung admire how genuine her smile were.

 

#####

 

“Thank you so much, I would be in so much trouble if you didn’t offer to walk with me.” The girl said to Nayoung.

“You’re welcome.”

“Really thank you. Miss…?”

“Nayoung, Im Nayoung.”

“Nice to meet you Im Nayoung-ssi, I’m Zhou Jieqiong.” The girl was surprisingly hyper and cheerful, it was quite unexpected.

“Joo Jiekyung?” Nayoung struggled with the name.

“Jieqiong. Zhou Jie Qiong.” Jieqiong repeated for Nayoung slowly.”

“Jieqiong.” Nayoung tried again.

“That’s right.” Jieqiong clapped her hands as they walk slowly to the administration office.

“You’re not Korean?”

“I’m Chinese, I came from Shanghai. I’m a freshman.” Jieqiong told Nayoung joyfully.

“A freshman? I didn’t see you at the entrance ceremony though.”

“I was having trouble with my visa that is why I came so late. I missed all of my first class.” Jieqiong said with a slight pout, Nayoung was incidentally looking at the girl and couldn’t help but find her whining quite cute.

“That’s too bad, but I’m sure the university administration and your lecturer will understand.”

“I hope so too, I felt bad though. You said you didn’t see me during the entrance ceremony, could it be that you are a freshman too Nayoung-ssi?”

“No, I’m a senior. I just happen to be there.” Nayoung didn’t bother to tell Jieqiong that she was there because she was the student body president, it didn’t seem important.

”And by the way, your Korean is very good Jieqiong-ssi.” Nayoung complimented the girl, as Nayoung was truly surprised because Jieqiong speak Korean so well.

“Thank you, I practice a lot. You can just call me Jieqiong, there’s no need to be so formal with me especially since you are my sunbae-nim.” Jieqiong said with a big smile. Nayoung was once again taken aback by how easy going the girl was.

“Okay Jieqiong.” Nayoung just go along with it.

 

They continued to walk for another five minute before stopping in front of the administration office. Nayoung was about to open the door, but then she remembered that both of her hands were occupied. She looked into the glass on the office window. It seemed that no one was in at the moment. Nayoung glance at Jieqiong and wonder if she should ask for her help. Nayoung didn't have much of a choice because she really couldn't open the door.

“Jieqiong, could you open the door for me?”

“Yeah sure, I forgot that you can't use your hand at the moment.” Jieqiong chuckle lightly as she opened the door for Nayoung.

 

Nayoung placed the paper on a table that was empty with a loud thud. She then proceeded to rub her numb arm, she might need to put some patch later if she doesn't want to be sore the next morning. Just when she finished salting the paper one of the staff came out from the storage room. He saw Nayoung and gave her a smile.

 

“Oh, Nayoung-ssi. Thank you so much for your hard work.” the man said.

 

Nayoung nodded, her face still as expressionless as ever. The man took the papers and checking a few of them briefly. He seemed pleased by the result and gave a nod of approval to Nayoung. The staff then noticed Jieqiong, standing a few feet away from Nayoung.

 

“Who’s your friend Nayoung-ssi?”

“Ah! Good afternoon sir, I’m Zhou Jieqiong. Im a freshman that came from china. I was late because of problem with my visa, I called here a week ago.” Jieqiong quickly explained.

“Ah… miss Zhou. Yes, yes. Just a minute, I'll get your schedule for you.” the man said before going to his office.

 

Nayoung was uncertain whether she should wait for Jieqiong or go back. She still have some work to do, but she felt bad to leave the girl. She didn't have to make that decision though because suddenly a blonde haired girl that resemble shiba inu came barging into the office, out of breath.

 

“Excuse me, have you seen… Zhou Jieqiong! Thank god I found you!” the girl dramatically hugged Jieqiong.

“Omo, I don’t know what I would do if I lost you.” the girl continued her soap opera like reunion with Jieqiong.

“Im fine Eunwoo-yah, a sunbae helped me.” Jieqiong said with an amused smile.

“Oh, I must thank that sunbae then.” Eunwoo then looked around and locked eyes with Nayoung.

“Omo! Stone Buddha!” Eunwoo blurted out. She immediately clasped her own hands on as Nayoung raised her eyebrow slightly at the nickname.

 

Nayoung knew that girl, Jung Eunwoo. She was late at the entrance ceremony and came wearing a hoodie instead of the dress shirt and black skirt that was appointed. Nayoung gave her a long glare and told the girl to write 3000 words long apology letter with a straight face, it was then the new students started calling her stone Buddha.

 

“Ah, I mean president Im. Thank you very much for helping Jieqiong.” Eunwoo bowed 90 degree to Nayoung.

“President?” Jieqiong questioned.

“It’s okay. I will leave now. Good bye.” Nayoung said to Jieqiong and Eunwoo.

“Thank you so much sunbae-nim.” Jieqiong said quickly before Nayoung left.

 

#####

 

It was late, almost about nine something at night and Nayoung was on a patrol around the campus to see if there are any student left and sent them home if she found any. The student usually were already gone by now and Nayoung was about done with her duty and go home herself. All the classroom were dark so Nayoung figured no one must be there, she was about to head back to the student council office to lock up and go home when she heard a voice. Nayoung was suspicious and decide to check it out, it came from one of the classroom. Nayoung opened the classroom door to find the room dark but she saw a small movement among the darkness. Nayoung flipped up the light switch, her eyes squinting from the bright light. When her eyes adjusted to the brightness of the light she didn’t expect that she would find Zhou Jieqiong sitting in the middle of the classroom with earphone on her ears. Jieqiong were staring straight in front, unmoving. Nayoung went and place a hand on Jieqiong shoulder briefly to get the girl’s attention. Jieqiong turned her head to Nayoung’s direction, for a second Nayoung forgot that Jieqiong was blind as the girl stare at her. Jieqiong then put on her sunglasses and their eye contact disappear. Nayoung wasn’t sure whether she should felt disappointed or glad.

 

“Jieqiong, it’s time for the campus to close.” Nayoung said to the girl.

“Nayoung sunbae-nim?” Jieqiong questioned.

 

Nayoung was surprised when Jieqiong recognize her voice, given the fact that they only spoke once.

 

“Ah, it’s that late already? Im so sorry, I lost track of time.”

“Yeah its very late, you should head back.”

“I should.”

 

Jieqiong collected her belonging, hands wandering all over the table. Nayoung first instinct was to help her pack up. Nayoung silently give Jieqiong her stuff, placing them on Jieqiong’s palm. Jieqiong gave Nayoung a thankful smile as she finish packing her bag.

 

“Thank you sunbae-nim, I will be going now.” Jieqiong pull out her cane and start searching for the door.

“Jieqiong, wait.” Nayoung called out, hesitant.

“Yes sunbae-nim?”

“Are you going home alone?”

“Yes.” Jieqiong said lightly and cheerfully that it made Nayoung felt a pang of clashing emotion inside of her. It was a mix of awe and guilt. She didn’t even know why she felt that way. Nayoung contemplated for a bit before her responsible side got the best of her.

“I’ll walk you home.”

“It’s okay sunbae, you must be tired.” Jieqiong tried to refuse.

“I’ll walk you home.” Nayoung only repeat her words.

“Okay.” Jieqiong smiled at her and Nayoung couldn’t help but lift up the corner of slightly as she saw how happy Jieqiong looked.

“Would you like to grab my arm?” Nayoung questioned bashfully, as she wasn’t used to physical contact but from her knowledge that is how people walk with someone who can’t see.

“Actually, it is better for me to grab your elbow.”

“Oh, okay. Would you like to grab my elbow?”

“Sure.” Jieqiong said happily as she reach out her right hand. Nayoung took it and placed it around her left elbow.

“Is it okay if we go to the student council office first? I need to grab my stuff.”

“Of course.”

 

#####

 

Nayoung had Jieqiong sticking close to her as they sat on the bus stop. During their fifteen minute walk from campus to the bus stop, Jieqiong had taken a liking to Nayoung. Jieqiong go on about how shy and cute Nayoung was and how she didn’t understand how everyone called her stone Buddha. Nayoung was flustered by how friendly and easy going Jieqiong was and Jieqiong seems to know that Nayoung was in fact flustered. Nayoung would probably be upset if it were some other freshman act like that to her, but Nayoung didn’t mind Jieqiong. The girl had this comfortable and bright aura around her that made Nayoung feel at ease. It was a mystery.

 

“So you are roommate with Jung Eunwoo?”

“That’s right sunbae-nim, but that Eunwoo suddenly went back home today. I don’t want to go back to the house because I knew it would be too quiet and lonely so I decide to listen to the Prof lecture that I recorded today till I feel like going home.” Jieqiong explained animatedly.

“Jieqiong.”

“Yes sunbae-nim?”

“You can drop the sunbae-nim. It seems so tiring to say.

“Really? Can I call you unnie then?” Jieqiong questioned excitedly.

“Sure.” Nayoung blushed slightly.

“Nayoung unnie.” Jieqiong called out with glee.

“Yes?”

“Nayoung unnie.”

“Yeah?”

“Hehehe, I just felt like calling you, unnie.”

 

Nayoung found it childish yet adorable, she wasn’t going to tell Jieqiong thought, because that would be embarrassing. As if on cue, the bus came to a halt in front of them. Nayoung grabbed Jieqiong’s arm gently and help the girl get on the bus. Nayoung was uncomfortable when they received stares from the bus passenger, I wonder if Jieqiong know that they are being stared at. She guide Jieqiong to an available seat at the back of the bus, Nayoung took a seat next to Jieqiong. Nayoung was staring down at her lap while Jieqiong keep chatting away and Nayoung responding to it once in a while. Nayoung turned her head to her side when she felt someone had been staring at them. She made eye contact with a middle aged lady, pity in her eyes. Nayoung felt a pang on her heart, is that how she stared at Jieqiong too she wonders. Jieqiong must have felt that something was wrong as she placed a hand on Nayoung.

 

“Unnie?” Jieqiong called out in worry.

 

Nayoung snapped out of her trance to look at Jieqiong.

 

“Yes?”

“Are you okay?”

“Yeah.”

“Are people staring at me?”

 

Nayoung paused for a while, not knowing how to answer Jieqiong’s question. From Nayoung’s response alone, Jieqiong already knew that people are staring at her, some in curiously but most stare with pity.

 

“It’s okay unnie. I’m used to it.” Jieqiong said with a smile to reassure Nayoung.

 

Nayoung didn’t say anything because don’t know what to say. Jieqiong didn’t seems to mind it much though, because she continued her story to Nayoung. After about fifteen minutes ride in the bus they get off to a quiet neighborhood. It wasn’t that far away from the campus but Nayoung would probably be late every time if she live there instead of the dorm, Nayoung just love sleep too much. Jieqiong stopped in front of a one story house, rummaging her bag for the key.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter