Otters, Fires, & Firefighters Pt II

Something Happened to My Heart

Ji Hoo sat with Yi Jeong and Woo Bin in the F4 clubhouse. F3 had been discussing Min-Ji's recent deception…

Ji Hoo leaned forward, resting his elbow upon his knee. He placed a hand to his head. "Dammit...," Ji Hoo muttered. Yi Jeong and Woo Bin looked at him curiously.

"That girl was Jan Di's only friend at Shinwha…," Ji Hoo muttered, clenching his jaw.

Yi Jeong and Woo Bin exchanged a sympathetic look. Woo Bin took a seat next to Ji Hoo and laid a hand upon his shoulder. "Geum Jan Di is not without friends at Shinwha, Ji Hoo-yah. We are her friends now."

Woo Bin spoke as if that was obvious—and that Ji Hoo should know it to be a fact. And he did, truthfully… But regardless, Ji Hoo had to admit that it was a sweet comment from his good friend, and he appreciated it.

Yi Jeong smiled over at Ji Hoo from his spot across from him. "Yes. Geum Jan Di has the support and friendship of F4 now. Who else could she possibly need?"

The corners of Ji Hoo's mouth twitched slightly. Though not completely, the words of Woo Bin and Yi Jeong did make Ji Hoo feel a bit better. He knew that his three closest friends were also quite fond of Jan Di, but it was nice to hear it aloud.

"Gomawo," Ji Hoo said, giving Woo Bin and Yi Jeong a grateful smile. Then, he exhaled, releasing his breath slowly and steadily. "But I do want to find out more about this girl…and why she would try to harm Jan Di…"

"We're on it," Woo Bin assured, and Yi Jeong nodded.


Woo Bin and Yi Jeong investigated Min-Ji, and it didn't take long for them to discover all they had been searching for—about Min-Ji's past and her motivations for attempting to hurt Jan Di.

Min-Ji had attended Shinwha kindergarten with Jun Pyo and F3. She held a grudge against Jun Pyo for calling her ugly as a child and rejecting her. Her self-esteem plummeted after that, and she had struggled to be around others. She had even gone on to have extensive plastic surgery. Min-Ji had moved around frequently with her family, but she had ended up back at Shinwha.

F2 had also found out that—despite all of that—Min-Ji was in love with Jun Pyo, and she had been jealous of the attention he'd shown to Jan Di.

After the incident, Min-Ji had gone before Jun Pyo to beg for his love…


Min-Ji told Jun Pyo and F3 of her life since Jun Pyo had called her ugly and refused to marry someone so hideous.

As she stood before him, Min-Ji commented that Jun Pyo was still looking at her as if she were a bug, a monster…like back then…

"I don't remember that, but it seems that I did something awful back then..." Jun Pyo said, without looking at Min-Ji directly.

"That's not what I want from you! Look at me! …Aren't I pretty now? Don't you think I'm pretty?" she slowly moved closer to Jun Pyo, "Say it, say that you think I'm pretty and that you want me now!" Min-Ji desperately shouted, with tears in her eyes.

Yi Jeong suggested she calm down, while he, Ji Hoo, and Woo Bin looked on.

Min-Ji grasped onto Jun Pyo, shouting and pleading for him to love her.

"I feel sorry for you," he said, "You're still a monster…"

Min-Ji gaped at him, with eyes saturated.

"No, you're worse than before. At least back then, that girl had a good heart…" Jun Pyo added. And then Jun Pyo walked off.

F3 followed... Ji Hoo took one last look at Min-Ji before also walking away and leaving her there sobbing...


Everything Min-Ji had done since that fateful day in kindergarten had been to make herself more appealing to Jun Pyo. F3 found it to be a bit sad, but they could not easily forgive Min-Ji for what she had done, particularly Ji Hoo…

Min-Ji's jealousy over Jun Pyo's apparent interest in Jan Di—and Jan Di's involvement with F4—had led to her plotting with Ginger, Sunny, and Miranda. And Min-Ji had hired a man to help her tarnish Jan Di's reputation and destroy her relationship with Ji Hoo and the rest of F4.


When Ji Hoo found out all of this, he was furious. It made his usually temperate blood boil. He wanted to make them all pay for treating Jan Di that way. Ji Hoo was incredibly thankful that he had come in time to put a stop to the evil plot, and he wanted to kill that guy for having such impure intentions for his girlfriend.

Ji Hoo demanded that Yi Jeong and Woo Bin tell him who the man was, and he prepared to rush out and deal with the matter.

"Ji Hoo-yah, stop…," Yi Jeong said calmly, catching Ji Hoo by the shoulder. Woo Bin had a firm grip on his other now.

"He needs to be dealt with…," Ji Hoo seethed.

"He will be," Woo Bin assured.

"Yes, we'll take care of him, Ji Hoo-yah," Yi Jeong added.

"It should be me to take care of it!" Ji Hoo raised his voice. "I'm her boyfriend," he added in a lower tone.


Ji Hoo was usually the calmest one of the bunch, but right now, he was acting more like Jun Pyo would… F2 had never seen Ji Hoo so angry, nor so fiercely protective of something or someone… They actually feared what he might do to the guy.

But then again, Yi Jeong and Woo Bin agreed that the man should not go without punishment. After all, you absolutely do not mess with a guy's girl—especially not a member of F4's girl.


"We know, Ji Hoo-yah, but…you're in no state to do so right now…," Woo Bin said.

"I'm fine," Ji Hoo assured, but F2 clung tightly to his shoulders. "Let me go!" he moved aggressively forward.

"Ji Hoo-yah, calm down…," Yi Jeong spoke softly, but firmly.

And Ji Hoo realized that his friends were right. He did need to calm himself… It was unlike him to get so worked up, but he was just so incredibly angry right now…

This desire to protect and defend had been growing stronger and stronger within Ji Hoo, ever since he'd gotten to know Jan Di… She did get into more than her fair share of trouble, after all… But it was more than that...


Woo Bin and Yi Jeong taught the guy a lesson, as promised. Woo Bin and his men roughed him up.


Jan Di had been very hurt by Min-Ji's actions, and she planned to confront her about it. After Ji Hoo reluctantly shared the information from Yi Jeong and Woo Bin, he and Jan Di had discussed the matter.


"What hurt the most, Ji Hoo," she said, "…was that she had no reason to betray me like that…she liked Jun Pyo, and I wasn't even involved with him, so I don't understand why she was so jealous… I mean, I know Sunny, Miranda, and Ginger got to her, but still… She was going on and on at the club about how Jun Pyo liked me and I rejected him…"

Ji Hoo tightened his mouth.

"I don't know why she would even think that Jun Pyo liked me, why anyone would for that matter… He never asked me out, and for the longest time all he did was torture me…you know that well, Ji Hoo... I mean, I guess he's nicer now, which I don't really get, but still…to say that…"

Ji Hoo sighed and shoved his hands into his pockets. Jan Di could be a bit naïve, but Ji Hoo knew all too well what the deal was, and it wasn't a subject he liked talking about.

"Jan Di, when you were in elementary school, did a boy ever pull your hair or push you down?" Ji Hoo asked delicately. It was the best way he knew to explain.

She shrugged. "Sure, why?"

"Well, sometimes when boys like girls and they don't know how to properly express their feelings they are mean to them. Most guys grow out of that by Jun Pyo's age, but…well…Jun Pyo's not exactly like most guys…"

Jan Di gaped. "Are you saying that Jun Pyo was a jerk to me because he had a crush on me…?" It was news to her, but then again...she should have seen it, shouldn't she?

Ji Hoo sighed, "Let's just say, I never saw Jun Pyo give a girl the kind of attention he's given you…"

Jan Di blinked, and she pondered that. Ji Hoo decided to change the subject...


The following day at school, Jan Di arrived and Ji Hoo was there waiting for her in their usual spot. Jan Di informed Ji Hoo that she planned to confront Min-Ji. Ji Hoo had also planned to say a few things to Jan Di's so-called friend, but Jan Di asked him to let her take care of it. Ji Hoo tightened his mouth and nodded. He took Jan Di's hand in support, and they walked together.

They found Min-Ji. She stood amongst a crowd of female students before the large TV screen that displayed all the school's latest news—or gossip, rather, though some of it was actually true. Jan Di watched as her peers taunted Min-Ji with pictures of her as a child. They were belittling her for being so ugly and for having plastic surgery to correct her imperfections. Min-Ji stared at the floor, dejected.

Jan Di felt a twinge in her heart, and for a moment, she truly felt sorry for Min-Ji. Ji Hoo noticed Jan Di's face contort, and he squeezed her hand. Jan Di squeezed back and then released Ji Hoo's hand.

"That's enough," Jan Di said, as she approached Min-Ji. Ji Hoo stood there, a few steps back.

"So what if she had plastic surgery…," Jan Di spoke. "Haven't all of you had it done, too?"

Jan Di called out Ginger, Sunny, and Miranda for the work each of them had had done. "Your eyes…your nose…that watch…didn't you pay for them with money?"

The three gaped and stood there in stunned silence, as Jan Di berated them for their hypocrisy. "So, you're saying it's OK for someone who is already attractive to have surgery but not for someone who isn't…"

Min-Ji looked up, and then she approached Jan Di with moistened eyes. The crowd parted. "Jan Di-yah...," she muttered, "I don't expect you to forgive me, Jan Di-yah…" Jan Di slapped her in the face.

Jan Di tightened and looked away. Ji Hoo took a step forward—the crowd once again made room—and he stood by Jan Di's side.

"S-sunbae-nim…," Min-Ji stammered.

Ji Hoo stared at Min-Ji. He clenched his jaw, restraining himself from saying anything to her. Ji Hoo then put his arm around Jan Di's shoulders and silently led her away.


A few days later…

Min-Ji had chosen to leave Shinwha, leaving behind the plush lamb doll on Jan Di's desk, with a message. Jan Di smiled and a tear rolled down her cheek, as she listened to the message. Min-Ji had thanked Jan Di and expressed that she hoped they would meet again, and she sang their little song…


Sensing Jan Di was bummed out about her friend, Ji Hoo had been bending over backward to make Jan Di happy. It had become one of his main goals in life, actually, to make Jan Di happy, to see her smile…

It was Saturday, and Ji Hoo had asked Jan Di what she wanted to do that day. He'd insisted that they could do anything she wanted. And she'd suggested a picnic, since the weather was still so nice.

So, they had gone to the river on his bike, toting the lunch that Jan Di had packed.

When they arrived, Ji Hoo and Jan Di laid out a blanket by the riverside. They sat down together, and Jan Di began to unpack the doshirak she'd prepared.

Ji Hoo was quite impressed with what she'd assembled, and a smile crossed his face. He'd seen one of her homemade lunches before, but never one that was so…creative

"Wow, this looks amazing, Jan Di-yah," Ji Hoo commented.

She nodded. Jan Di's special lunchbox consisted of: rolled omelets, pan fried wiener sausages, rolled ham with cheese, carrot and cucumber sticks, and broccoli chips.

Ji Hoo pointed out a side dish of peas—which she'd arranged into a heart—upon a background of white rice. Jan Di blushed lightly when Ji Hoo commented on how cute it was.

"And what's this…?" he asked with a grin, pointing out another imaginative dish she'd concocted. It looked like a face…his face perhaps?

It was a rice dish, which she'd transformed into a face using: ginger-colored seasoned dried shredded squid for the hair; seaweed for the eyes, eyebrows, and nose, and a dab of strawberry pudding for the mouth.

Jan Di blushed further and glanced away. She gave him a light shove. "Don't make fun…"

"I'm not," he chuckled, "It's adorable. It's almost too cute to eat…it's like a piece of art…," Ji Hoo grinned.

"Ahh, you're being far too kind…," she chuckled, and Ji Hoo continued to observe the dish. Jan Di gave a sigh of mock exasperation. "Aigoo, you can't just look at it! You have to eat it! That's the whole point!" she chastised.

Ji Hoo gave a short laugh. "Yes, of course, Jan Di-yah. "

"Try it," she handed him a pair of chopsticks.

Ji Hoo smiled and took a bite, chewing thoroughly. Jan Di examined his face. "How is it?"

"It's delicious," he replied after finishing the bite.

Jan Di smiled widely. "I'm glad. Have more, as much as you'd like," she encouraged with her hands.

"What about you? You need to eat, too…"

"Always looking out for me, eh, Sunbae?"

"Ah ah…," he warned.

She smiled, "Ji Hoo, I mean."

"That's better," he grinned.

Right on cue, a low rumble emanated from the dark pit of Jan Di's stomach.

Ji Hoo smiled. "See, you are hungry… I knew it," and he held out a bite for her.

"You're going to feed me again, Ji Hoo?" Jan Di smirked.

Ji Hoo revealed his brilliant smile and simply held the bite poised. Smiling, Jan Di shook her head and took the bite.


Jan Di and Ji Hoo shared the lunchbox and talked. After they finished Ji Hoo commented that he was very full and needed a nap now. And he lay back upon the blanket, resting one hand behind his head and the other at his side. He closed his eyes.

Jan Di watched him for a moment. Her lips curved into a small smile. She watched his dark eyelashes flutter, and then he lay there completely still. Jan Di noticed his chest rising and softly falling, in a beautiful, lulling cadence.

"Sunbae…," Jan Di whispered, wondering if he had indeed fallen suddenly asleep once again. When no response came, she leaned down closer. "…Ji Hoo…," she repeated softly, inching even closer. She waved a hand above his face.

Jan Di gave a tender sigh. I guess he fell asleep…

Jan Di watched him for a moment. He looked so beautiful lying there… And then—unable to resist—she reached out with a finger and began lightly tracing the outline of his cheek and down his jaw.

Suddenly, she felt his arm wrap around her, and he pulled her all the way down and against his chest. Jan Di gasped lightly—her face turning a bright red—as she realized the position they were in. She lay there pressed against him and with her palm resting upon his broad chest.

Jan Di could feel and practically hear her thunderous heartbeat. "S-sunbae…," she stammered.

Ji Hoo sighed pleasurably. "I'm sorry to startle you, Jan Di-yah," he spoke—with eyes still closed and a soft smile upon his lips, "But you're just entirely too comfortable...I sleep so much more soundly with you near…"

Jan Di also smiled and her cheeks grew rosier. She considered suggesting that it was an odd time and place to take a nap—not so much for him perhaps—but she had to admit that she was very comfortable… And when he began to gently her hair, she was completely at his mercy.

Jan Di dropped her hand to her side—out of modesty—but allowed him to hold her snugly there. And before Jan Di realized, Ji Hoo was gently nudging her awake.


She'd drifted off right there against him, out in public, with people walking all around them! She hadn't thought it possible for her to just drift off like that—and out in public, at that—though she had been known to drift off in class when she was very tired... Perhaps it was true what they said about couples becoming like each other…

Jan Di bolted upright. "Aigoo! Did I really fall asleep?" She felt a bit embarrassed...

Ji Hoo chuckled, "I see that I'm not the only one who falls asleep at odd times and places," he grinned at her.

Jan Di gave a little laugh and forgot about her embarrassment, as he reached out for her hand. She smiled up at him and took it, and he helped her up. Ji Hoo led her to the water's edge.


The sun had already begun to set, casting shimmery golden hues upon the water, and Ji Hoo and Jan Di stared out across the river.

"You know, I think perhaps you must have been an otter in another life…," Ji Hoo spoke in a wistful tone.

"Huh?" she turned curiously toward him, "An otter?"

Ji Hoo nodded. "You're similar… You're both: diligent, eccentric, cute, and you can't live without water…" He gave her an affectionate smile.

"Ah, couldn't you just say I'm like a mermaid or something?" Jan Di suggested.

"No," Ji Hoo said immediately, shoving his hands into his pockets, "You can't be a mermaid. I don't want you to ever be a mermaid. That story is far too sad, don't you think? How the mermaid turns to foam… I never want you to suffer like that…"

Jan Di smiled faintly. She pursed her lips and nodded. That version was a very sad story, indeed.

"I never want you to be sad, Jan Di-yah… I only want you to be happy and to see you smile…just like the first day we met…," He turned to face her and placed his hands upon her shoulders, looking deep, deep into her eyes.

"Ji Hoo…," she uttered.

He was staring at her, as if he was suddenly deeply concerned for her welfare. Jan Di smiled up at him tenderly. "Why would I be sad, Ji Hoo…when you are in my life and looking out for me…?"

Jan Di immediately wondered if she'd spoken too freely or if the line had been far too sappy…but Ji Hoo simply gave her that beautiful smile of his. He seemed touched by it, and he slowly leaned down to give her a sweet kiss upon the lips.


"So, when do we get to meet this boyfriend of yours…?" Il-Bong questioned Jan Di with a sly smile, "Your father has to approve of him, after all…" Gong-Joo and Kang San shook their heads rapidly, insisting that they also needed to approve.

Like they won't approve… Jan Di thought with a wry smile.

Jan Di turned to her family. She simply chuckled and attempted to quickly change the subject. Her mother and Kang San continued on, though, urging her to bring Yoon Ji Hoo-ssi/Ji Hoo Hyung-nim over to their house.

Jan Di shook her head.

"Why not?" her mother practically whined, and Kang San began pleading with clasped hands.

"Because…Ji Hoo Sunbae is—" she began.

"Why do you still call him sunbae, Jan Di-yah?" her mother cut in, "He's your boyfriend, isn't it?"

"Well, yes… I guess I do because….I'm used to it….but, I don't always call him that…sometimes I call him by his name…," Jan Di stammered.

"Ahh," Gong-Joo nodded, but she didn't seem satisfied with this.

Jan Di sighed. "What should I call him, Eomma?"

"Hm?" Gong-Joo pondered. "Something more…affectionate," she said.

"Affectionate?"

Gong-Joo nodded, and Kang San and Il-Bong reinforced the sentiment.

Jan Di inwardly groaned. She suspected that—despite the short amount of time they'd been dating—her mother would want her to call Ji Hoo something like oppa or jagiya or something embarrassing like that. She was probably already imagining wedding bells, and she'd probably be calling her him future son-in-law.

"So, why haven't we gotten to meet him yet, Jan Di-yah, hmm?" her mother continued the onslaught.

"Well, because…Yoon Ji Hoo is a very private person…and…and…you'll scare him off!" Jan Di unintentionally blurted out the last part. Her family stared at her in shock and horror. And Jan Di immediately regretted her words.


Jan Di glanced away guiltily. Though she felt terrible for saying it, she couldn't deny that it was a concern of hers. Jan Di viewed it as nothing short of miraculous that a man like Yoon Ji Hoo could be interested in a plain, common, nothing girl like her… She had been as shocked as the Shinwha girls had... And she didn't want to tempt fate by exposing him so soon to her crazy family.

Jan Di felt like the worst person in the world for such thoughts and for what she'd said to them. She loved her crazy family, after all. And as they say, blood is thicker than water… So, if Ji Hoo didn't like her family, well that would be a problem for her. But she would not expect Ji Hoo to be anything but polite to them. Even if he did think they were nuts, he'd never say so…

How would such a meeting go? Jan Di wondered. And she imagined Ji Hoo meeting her family…

Jan Di didn't worry about whether or not they would like him—they definitely would; that was a given—but what would he think of them? It was just that…she really, really hoped he would like them... And she was nervous about that, so she kept putting it off… Perhaps she should just get it over with and have him meet them…

"Mianhae, Eomma, Appa, San-ah…I didn't meant that," she said. And she promised to bring Ji Hoo over to meet them soon, which appeased them for the time being.


Ji Hoo had grown up without a family, and that broke Jan Di's heart anew each time she thought of it. He wasn't used to having people around him—aside from F4—so how would he deal with an outspoken, energetic group like her family?

Ji Hoo had asked about her family once, and she'd described them as…colorful… What the heck kind of description was that, she wondered after… When he asked for more details, she'd found herself describing them honestly but also trying to boost them up a bit. And that, again, had made her feel like a bad person. She hated to admit it, but she was a bit embarrassed by them sometimes…

Jan Di wondered when she had turned into such a horrible person and daughter—one who only cared what her boyfriend thought…

Jan Di had been surprised that Ji Hoo had asked about her family, actually... She imagined it must be very painful for him to talk about family—something he did not have… And she wondered if he had any other family out there… But she didn't feel comfortable asking him about that. So, she simply changed the subject.


Ji Hoo hadn't been able to see Jan Di much in the past few weeks. She'd been very busy, or so she'd said… She had been breaking plans with him a lot, and her excuses for doing so seemed rather weak... He knew that something was going on, but he just wasn't quite sure what.

F2 was super helpful, of course, when he told them about his concerns for Jan Di.

"Maybe she's cheating on you…," Woo Bin joked.

Ji Hoo shot him a dirty look. "No, she wouldn't do that."

"Maybe she's going to dump you…," Yi Jeong suggested.

"Yea…maybe…," Ji Hoo muttered sadly and buried his head in his hands.

"Come on, Ji Hoo-yah…we were just kidding!" Yi Jeong interjected.

"Yea man! Geum Jan Di is definitely not going to dump you! She's crazy about you, Ji Hoo-yah…"

Ji Hoo sighed. "I just wish she would confide in me…"


Jan Di's father had racked up some gambling debts, so the Geum's financial situations was rather tight. As a result, Jan Di had been forced to take on some extra part-time jobs. This had led to Jan Di being unable to see Ji Hoo much outside of school and frequently breaking plans with him. And she had been making up excuses for doing so…

Jan Di felt guilty about lying to Ji Hoo, but she didn't want him to know about her family's struggles. If he found out he would probably try to help out, and this was something her pride would not allow. But she was quickly running out of excuses that would fool him…


It was 10 PM on a school night, and Jan Di was working as a pump attendant at the gas station. Jan Di yawned, as she leaned against the service station and waited for the next customer.


Ji Hoo drove up to the gas station to fill up his bike. But that was only part of the reason... He'd purposely chosen a gas station much further away than the one he usually went to because he'd noticed that a certain girl was working there now—a girl who had stolen his heart—and he wanted to see her and check in on her.

Ji Hoo was concerned for Jan Di. He knew that she'd been working multiple jobs, and she seemed to be working entirely too hard for his liking… Jan Di always appeared tired lately—she was even beginning to doze off in the middle of something, like him, now—and she looked as though she'd lost weight.


A helmeted motorcyclist pulled up, and Jan Di approached him with a bubbly greeting, asking how much gasoline he would like.

"Fill it up, please," the customer replied.

"And what payment can I help you with?" she asked, and Ji Hoo held up a can of coffee before her.

"S-sunbae!" Jan Di looked pleased to see him for an instant, but then her expression immediately changed, as if she'd been caught with her hand in the cookie jar.


Jan Di and Ji Hoo stood together at the pump. She sipped at the coffee he'd given her. "Gomawo, Sunbae. I was so tired that I thought I'd pass out…" Ji Hoo had more important things on his mind, so he let the sunbae slide.

Ji Hoo looked distressed. "How many jobs is that now, Jan Di? Four?" he asked.

"It's not four, is it?" She dug her foot into the ground.

"Yes, it is. I'm sure of it. There's your family's dry cleaning business, the porridge shop, deliveries, and now the gas station. That's four," he replied, "Unless there are more you're not telling me about," he folded his arms in disapproval.

Jan Di gave him a sheepish look. "No, no more."

Ji Hoo had also recently caught her at her delivery job…and he'd ended up helping her to make the newspaper and milk deliveries, despite her objections. Honestly, the man was everywhere—appearing, like a ghost, wherever she was.

"Aren't you overdoing it a bit?" Ji Hoo asked.

"Of course not! …Hey, it's me! I'm Geum Jan Di! I'm a commoner… I'm nothing if not full of willpower and stamina!"

"Liar..."

She blinked at him and furrowed her brow.

"Your body is telling me right now that you are lying…"

Jan Di immediately felt a warm, thick substance running from her nose. And all of a sudden Ji Hoo had taken out his handkerchief and was reaching for her.

"It's OK, Sunbae…I have tissues…," she tried to wave him off. But he didn't listen, and he took her face in one gloved hand, while pressing his handkerchief against her bleeding nose.

Jan Di stared at him doe-eyed.

"It's heartbreaking…," Ji Hoo muttered. He wore a pained expression.

"Eh?"

"It breaks my heart to see this, Jan Di-yah..."

Jan Di released a sigh and took the handkerchief from him. "It's alright, Sunbae, really. You shouldn't worry. Money is just a little tight," she admitted, "But it's not as bad as it seems. And it's only temporary…" She stared down at her shoes, while lightly dabbing her bloody nose.

"Why didn't you tell me that your family was struggling financially…?" He seemed hurt by this.

"Well, I, uh…" she stammered.

He had a feeling he knew the answer, though. It was all about Geum Jan Di's pride… Financial matters were a private thing for most people, but still, he could have helped. But as expected, Jan Di would never go for that…

Still, he had to try to do something

Ji Hoo put his hands upon her shoulders and turned her toward him. "Jan Di-yah, you don't have to do this, you know. You don't have to work so hard. And I don't want you to work so hard. If it's about money, I can help with that."

"No," she replied bluntly, immediately. Jan Di sighed and followed up with a shake of the head.

"…You know I can't accept that, Sunbae," she muttered.

Ji Hoo nodded in defeat. "I know…," he said.

"A little hard work never hurt anyone, after all!" She spoke in a bubbly tone. Ji Hoo sighed, not quite sure he believed that. Her body was already protesting all the work she'd been doing…

Ji Hoo gave a faint smile, but there was sadness in his eyes. Then, he tightened his mouth, "What can I do to help?" he asked.

"Nothing, Sunbae. I'm just happy being with you when I have the opportunity…" She smiled at him, and he returned it.

It was killing Ji Hoo, being so powerless, and it was taking everything he had to refrain from rescuing her, despite her wishes.

"I know how strong and capable you are, Jan Di, and I know you can handle it... And even though I hate to see you struggle, I respect you and your wishes. If you don't want my help, I'll step back. But please know that I am always here if you need anything…"

"Gomawo, Sunbae…," she smiled at him.


Jan Di hadn't wanted Ji Hoo to know about her family's situation. As expected, he only wanted to help—which wasn't a bad thing—but Geum Jan Di had her pride. Geum Jan Di didn't have much, but that was something she did have—and she wanted to keep it. She didn't want a relationship where her boyfriend was constantly bailing her out of jams. She wanted a relationship that was more equal. But perhaps it was impossible to ever be at an equivalent level to Yoon Ji Hoo…

"I appreciate your wanting to help me; I really do, but I need to take care of my own life...," she glanced away, "I knew that if I told you that you'd try to help me out, and I don't want that. I have to do it on my own. This is the only way I can keep my pride…"

Ji Hoo released a heavy exhale. Despite his frustration, he couldn't help but smile at her tenacity.

"There's really nothing you'll allow me to do for you…?" he asked, helplessly. "I am your firefighter, after all…"

Jan Di smiled at him. "Just do what you always do. Just be my Ji Hoo Sunbae…"

Ji Hoo gazed upon her tenderly.

"You know, you're really something, Geum Jan Di… And I feel very privileged to know you and to have you in my life…," he leaned down to give her a peck on the cheek before turning to leave. Jan Di placed a hand to her cheek and watched him hop on his bike and drive off.


Ji Hoo sat with F4 in their clubhouse. They were all simply sitting there, currently bored.

"Nice to see you again, Ji Hoo-yah," Yi Jeong grinned at him.

"Yea man, for a while there we weren't seeing much of you…," Woo Bin commented.

"I'm sorry about that. I was spending a lot of time with Geum Jan Di...but she's been very busy lately…" Ji Hoo spoke in a melancholy tone.

Yi Jeong and Woo Bin nodded. Jun Pyo scoffed.

"Something wrong, Jun Pyo?" Ji Hoo asked.

He didn't respond but waved Ji Hoo off with a hand and glanced away. Ji Hoo sighed.

"Oh, so we are your fall back then?" Woo Bin teased.

"Yes, I suppose we come in second place to Geum Jan Di now…," Yi Jeong folded his arms. He and Woo Bin looked to Ji Hoo for some type of reassurance.

Ji Hoo folded his arms. "Well, now you guys have put me in a tough spot. What do you want me to say?"

F2 continued to harangue him about brothers coming first, while Jun Pyo gave a subtle sneer and went to turn on a video game.

"You two can't really talk," Ji Hoo argued, "Remember that time you ditched me at that restaurant because you picked up those women… Where was your code then?"

"Oh, yes," Yi Jeong mused wistfully, gazing up at the ceiling in recollection. Yi Jeong and Woo Bin looked between each other, chuckled, and clasped hands. "That was a good night," Woo Bin interjected. Ji Hoo shook his head at them.

"But we're very sorry for that, Ji Hoo-yah," Yi Jeong added.

"It's forgiven…," Ji Hoo replied, "But what can I do to make it up to you for my absence lately? What would you guys like to do? Anything you want…"

The group suggested going to the shooting range Saturday, but Ji Hoo informed them that he already had plans. Jun Pyo made a noise in his throat and muttered, "Of course…"


Jun Pyo had been in a bad mood lately, and he'd been a bit snippy with Ji Hoo. They'd even had a couple of minor arguments in public, over stupid things, of course… Ji Hoo had been doing his best not to engage Jun Pyo in those arguments, but it seemed as though Jun Pyo wanted to fight with him… And when Jun Pyo wanted something, he usually made it happen... Ji Hoo knew what the real problem was, but he simply wanted to keep denying it for as long as he could…

"I'm sorry, Jun Pyo, but she has been working a lot lately, so I have to make plans to see her when she's available."

Jun Pyo snorted and continued playing his game.

"Why has Geum Jan Di been working so much anyway, Ji Hoo-yah?" Yi Jeong asked. The concept of work was rather foreign to F4. "Isn't her family's business doing well?"

"I don't know the exact details, but her family's financial situation is not the best right now… She didn't even want me to find out about it, and she tried to hide the fact that she is working four jobs from me…"

"Four jobs?! How does she manage that and school…?" Woo Bin asked, incredulous.

"Wow, the life of a commoner is so hard…," Yi Jeong commented, and Woo Bin nodded. Ji Hoo knew his friends were sympathetic, but he rather wished they'd stop using that word commoner

Ji Hoo sighed. "I don't know how she does it…she's really amazing…"

"She is the Wonder Girl, after all…," Woo Bin added. Ji Hoo smiled faintly.

"I think she's embarrassed that her family is struggling…," Ji Hoo said, sadly, "But I really wish she would let me help a little… I wouldn't think less of her…"

Yi Jeong and Woo Bin nodded.

"She's too proud," Jun Pyo interjected. "Geum Jan Di will never accept charity."

And they all agreed.

"So, what do I do? Trick her into accepting help perhaps…maybe make it seem like some kind of anonymous contribution… Or, maybe I just have to stand by and stay out of it like she wanted…," Ji Hoo sighed.

F3 was silent. It was a dilemma, for sure.

"But I want to do something nice for her…," Ji Hoo said. "She deserves a vacation or something…"

Woo Bin suggested bringing her along on their upcoming trip, earning a dirty glance from Jun Pyo.

"It's not a honeymoon…" Jun Pyo muttered. And Ji Hoo rolled his eyes.

"Well, I'm sure Woo Bin and Yi Jeong will have girls along, right?" Ji Hoo replied.

The two nodded.

"And you like Geum Jan Di, right, Jun Pyo?"

Jun Pyo got all defensive.

Ji Hoo sighed, "I mean, you're friends, right?" he clarified.

"Yeah…I guess so…"

"Well then…?"

"Fine! She can come along…" Jun Pyo sulked.

"Are you sure, Jun Pyo…?"

"Aish, yes, yes, I'm sure, bring her along! In fact, bring that friend of hers along, too!" Jun Pyo blurted out.

"Really?" Ji Hoo asked. He had the feeling Jun Pyo was being sarcastic, but it was a good idea.

Yi Jeong seemed to perk up at this. "The one from the porridge shop?" he his chin.

Woo Bin and Ji Hoo looked at him curiously.

"Yeah, yeah…that one, bring her along…"

Ji Hoo nodded, "Yes, of course. I'm sure she'll be more comfortable having her friend along. That's actually a great idea, Jun Pyo..."

Jun Pyo scoffed. "You're surprised?! I'm full of great ideas…," he muttered.

F3 chuckled.

"I hope we can get her to agree…she'll probably say she needs to work…" Ji Hoo mused.

"We could arrange to get her work covered for her," Woo Bin suggested. "We know some girls who could fill in for Geum Jan Di."

And Ji Hoo, Yi Jeong, and Woo Bin began plotting how they could arrange things so that Jan Di could and would go with them.


That Saturday…

Ji Hoo had wanted to take Jan Di out to a nice dinner at his favorite restaurant. Jan Di had been hesitant because she didn't really have a lot of nice clothes—and she wasn't exactly up on the proper etiquette for a fancy restaurant—but he was always doing nice things for her, so she should do this for him…

Ga Eul had let Jan Di borrow a nice dress, and Ji Hoo picked her up.

Ji Hoo led Jan Di into the large French restaurant in downtown Seoul, and Jan Di immediately felt underdressed, though Ji Hoo assured that it was fine and that she looked beautiful. The dining room was elegantly decorated with large crystal chandeliers, expensive floral arrangements, and beautifully laid out tables with white-linen tablecloths and intimate lighting. Jan Di briefly wondered if Ji Hoo had taken Seo Hyun here—and he probably had—but she decided it best not to think about it.


They were seated at a small table for two near a large picture window, where they could see the entire city. The waiter pulled out Jan Di's chair for her. She sat and he placed a cloth napkin in her lap.

"Kamsahamnida! I mean…um…merci?"

Ji Hoo smiled and nodded. "That's right, Jan Di."

The maître d bowed and said something in French. Jan Di gave him an awkward smile and turned to Ji Hoo.

Ji Hoo grinned. "He asked if Mademoiselle speaks French," he translated.

Jan Di laughed nervous and shook her hands at the maître d, "Oh, no no... Not much at all!"

Ji Hoo smiled and took a sip of his water. The maître d offered them wine, which Ji Hoo declined for them.

"This place is beautiful," Jan Di commented, "And the view is stunning!" She gazed out the window onto the wakeful city below.

Ji Hoo smiled tenderly, as he watched her gaze out the window with a childlike air.

Then, a waitress came over. "Ji Hoo!" she exclaimed and began speaking rapidly in French. Ji Hoo rose, and she kissed him on both cheeks—or rather kissed at the air and touched cheeks with him.

Ji Hoo explained that she was an acquaintance of his and Seo Hyun's from Paris. Jan Di plastered on a smile.

Ji Hoo held a hand out toward Jan Di. "C'est ma petite amie," he spoke in French.

"Ahh, quelle surprise!" The girl turned to Jan Di, looked her up and down—giving a subtle sneer out of Ji Hoo's sight—and turned back to Ji Hoo. Jan Di frowned, and the girl began speaking in French again. All she could catch was Seo Hyun's name.

Ji Hoo replied with something in French and took his seat, turning to Jan Di again. He asked for a moment from the waitress.

"Um, what was all that?" Jan Di gave an awkward laugh.

"Oh, well, I introduced you as my girlfriend, and she um…," he cleared his throat, "Asked what happened with Seo Hyun…I guess she hadn't heard…so, I just explained that we weren't together anymore…"

"Oh," Jan Di nodded and brought her water glass to her lips.

"What would you like to eat, Jan Di?" he asked, and he began to translate items for her on the menu. She asked for suggestions, and Ji Hoo recommended the canard a l'orange. "It's duck in orange sauce," he explained.

"Hm…well, I've never had duck before…" Jan Di decided to be adventurous. "I'll try anything, except for escargot," Jan Di joked, and Ji Hoo laughed.


Jan Di and Ji Hoo enjoyed a lovely dinner, aside from the—not-so-subtle, to Jan Di—distasteful looks from the waitress. Ji Hoo noticed once and asked the waitress if there was a problem in French, and she immediately shaped up—acting overly friendly and bubbly toward Jan Di. And then Ji Hoo ordered a chocolate soufflé for them to share.

Ji Hoo escorted Jan Di out of the restaurant afterward. "Mianhada, Jan Di-yah," he apologized sincerely.

"For what, Ji Hoo-yah?"

"For the way Chantal treated you," he said with a sigh. "She was very rude…"

"It's OK, Ji Hoo…"

"No, it's not. I wanted you to have a nice evening out, and instead you had to be treated that way… I was simply being polite to her because she's an old friend of Seo Hyun's, but I never really liked her… And honestly, Seo Hyun was not all that fond of her either. I didn't know she would be working there. I almost walked out with you a few times, but I knew you were enjoying the food…"

"Yes," Jan Di nodded, "The food was very good, Ji Hoo-yah…" She put on a smile.

"I'm so sorry, Jan Di… But trust me…we won't be going back there ever again…"

"Oh no… I ruined it for you, your favorite restaurant," Jan Di mumbled, dejected.

"No, Jan Di-yah. Don't think of it like that. An excellent restaurant needs more than fine food and atmosphere. The service should be impeccable as well. They didn't have that, so they lost my business. And you could never ruin anything for me, my otter…" Jan Di blushed lightly at the nickname. "…If anything, you lead me to wonderful, new things… In fact, you have already led me to many new experiences…"

"Really?"

"Mm," he nodded and helped her into the car.

Ji Hoo dropped Jan Di off at home, for she had to be home early for deliveries the next morning. Ji Hoo apologized again profusely.

"It's fine, really, Ji Hoo."

He nodded and sighed. "Jan Di…," he spoke softly, approaching her.

She looked at him.

"I wanted to tell you how beautiful you look tonight…," he said, and he moved in closer. Jan Di felt the blush creep up again. "Gomawo, Ji Hoo…"

"Now, if I try to kiss you in front of your home, you're not going to run away again, are you?" he asked with a grin.

Darnit, he remembered…

Jan Di shook her head, and he wrapped his arms around her. Ji Hoo's lips descended upon hers for a soft, lingering kiss. He kept it brief, for he knew she felt self-conscious here, but he certainly would have liked to deepen it.

"Goodnight, Otter," he said, and he placed a tender kiss upon her hand, giving it a last squeeze before taking his leave of her.


Shinwha High was going to be having a dance in a few weeks. Jan Di was quite certain that it was simply because they could… And Jan Di didn't really want to go, but surprisingly Ji Hoo did, and he wanted to take her...

Jan Di's reasons for not wanting to go were threefold. First, she was not much of a dancer. Though, she absolutely loved dancing with Ji Hoo the last time… Second, she didn't really feel like she belonged at Shinwha—she never had and probably never would—though she had much more of a sense of belonging now that she was with Ji Hoo and friends with F4. And the third reason was that she had absolutely nothing suitable to wear…

And this time Seo Hyun was not around to rescue her and provide her with a beautiful dress and full makeover. Although, she did have the heels that Seo Hyun had gifted.

Jan Di had wanted to turn Ji Hoo down when he first asked, but he really seemed to want to go with her—and she couldn't stand disappointing him—so, she agreed. Jan Di could tell that Ji Hoo sensed her apprehension, and he had assured her it would be fine. Though he didn't come right out and say it, it seemed like Ji Hoo was trying to make some kind of statement…as if he was trying to prove to the entire school that she belonged there and make it known that she was with him.


When Jan Di's family found out about the event they were very excited. And they insisted that she could not back out of it. She'd already been thinking of ways that she could do so… Maybe she would suddenly become very ill that night… But her family wasn't having it.

Jan Di's parents once again began rifling through the dry cleaning racks for something for her to wear, which Jan Di had always thought was ridiculous and just bad business…

And then her mother suggested that she simply hint to Ji Hoo and get him to buy a dress for her... Jan Di immediately shot this idea down. She knew Ji Hoo would do it, but she refused to use him for his money, even in the smallest of ways. But still, Jan Di vowed to look nice for Ji Hoo that night…

So Jan Di began working overtime to earn some extra money for a dress, but she ultimately decided to make one after obtaining some nice material. She had never made a dress before, but her mom had, and she taught her. Ironically, she had to blow off Ji Hoo more than a few times in order to have the time to finish it…


The day of the dance arrived, and Jan Di was simultaneously excited and dreading it. She was excited to spend time with Ji Hoo—it had been over a week now since she'd been able to see him—but she was rather dreading seeing everyone else at Shinwha. F4 excluded. They weren't so bad, and she wouldn't mind seeing them. How ironic that was…

Still, Ji Hoo seemed to have his hopes so high for this, and it was a lot of pressure on Jan Di…


Ji Hoo picked Jan Di up in front of her home that evening at 6PM. He began to get out of the car, deciding it was finally time he introduce himself to her parents, but Jan Di rushed out before he could do so.

"Good evening, Ji Hoo!" Jan Di exclaimed, slightly out of breath.

Ji Hoo smiled. He always smiled when he saw her—it was like a reflex; those muscles simply took over whenever he saw her…

"Good evening, Geum Jan Di." He took a moment to look her over. She wore a pale blue dress—light and flowing—that reached just above her knees. The dress had lacy cap sleeves and a thin lace trim across the chest.

It took Ji Hoo a moment to find his words—she had never looked so beautiful to him…

Jan Di wondered what he might be thinking as he stood there, gazing upon her. She glanced away out of shyness. "Is this…do I look OK? I…made the dress…," she admitted, "So, it might be a little flawed…"

The look he gave her exuded love and admiration. "It's perfect…," he uttered, "You're perfect…"

Jan Di bit down on her lip and glanced away again, her cheeks heating up like they always did—still—when he would give her a compliment.

She turned back and smiled shyly at him. "Gomawo, Sunbae…" Ji Hoo smiled. Sometimes she reverted to sunbae when she was embarrassed. He took her hand and led her to the car. Ji Hoo's secretary opened the door for them.


Upon arrival at the ballroom facility, F3 was already there. All but Jun Pyo smiled, as they watched Geum Jan Di walk in on Ji Hoo's arm.

Yi Jeong and Woo Bin immediately went to Ji Hoo and Jan Di and greeted them. After a moment, Jun Pyo reluctantly walked over to join the group.

"You look absolutely incredible, Geum Jan Di," Yi Jeong remarked with a suave smile. Woo Bin grinned and mirrored the sentiment.

Jan Di bowed. "Kamsahamnida, Yi Jeong Sunbae, Woo Bin Sunbae..."

"Oh, no need to be so formal, Geum Jan Di," Woo Bin chuckled. Jan Di smiled and nodded.


The nightmare trio had naturally taken notice of how F4 was gathered around Jan Di. They glared, with arms folded, and scoffed in frustration. "Who does she think she is…," Ginger muttered. The other two shook their heads and made exasperated noises in their throats. They still could not grasp how Geum Jan Di had so completely enchanted F4…


Woo Bin and Yi Jeong were eager to dance with Jan Di, but Ji Hoo insisted upon having the first dance. He led her out to the dance floor, taking her hand and placing his other upon her waist. Jan Di rested her hand upon his forearm. He stared into her eyes for a moment before beginning.

"I'll try not to stand on your feet this time, Sunbae," Jan Di smiled up at him, recalling how she had done so the last time they danced.

Ji Hoo smiled. "You can stand on my feet if you want to, Geum Jan Di…," Ji Hoo said tenderly.

Jan Di chuckled, "No, Sunbae. I don't want to stand on your feet, and I do want to learn to dance properly."

Ji Hoo smiled. "Well, we'll just have to dance more often then so you can get the hang of it…," he said. They exchanged an affectionate look, and Ji Hoo began to twirl Jan Di around the dance floor while the orchestra played.

Jan Di once again felt as though she was floating on air… When she danced with Ji Hoo it was as if the rest of the world faded away, and she entered some kind of beautiful dream world…


After the song ended, Yi Jeong tapped Ji Hoo on the shoulder, and Ji Hoo reluctantly allowed him to cut in with Jan Di. Yi Jeong gave Jan Di a little bow—which she returned—before wrapping his arm around her and taking her hand in his.

"Wow, who knew I would ever be dancing with F4's famous Casanova," Jan Di smirked. Yi Jeong grinned at her.

"Well, you're fascinating to me, Geum Jan Di…," he commented, with that smooth smile of his playing upon his lips.

"Fascinating, Sunbae?"

"Yes. And I like you. We all do. You're very fascinating to all of us. We've never known anyone like you, Geum Jan Di..."

Jan Di nodded and smiled faintly. She knew it was a compliment, but somehow it also made her feel self-conscious, like she was some object on display…

She had never truly intended to capture the attention of F4, and being the center of attention was never something that Jan Di really wanted… She preferred going about her life simply and quietly. And now—all of a sudden—she was some big deal to the most revered and powerful boys in the school.

She had to admit that she was a bit torn on how to feel about this… And ironically, it seemed to be the things that she felt were her shortcomings that they were most captivated by. Jan Di rather hoped this fascination of theirs would just die out someday…. That is, aside from with Ji Hoo. She truly hoped his interest in her didn't fade any time soon…


Still, Jan Di had to admit that she was a bit intrigued by F4… Why were they the way they were…?

Certainly their wealth and looks had much to do with that. But Jan Di had the feeling that they were all more complicated than they seemed, especially Jun Pyo. Jan Di had to admit that she was very curious about him…

Jan Di recalled what Seo Hyun had said about Jun Pyo being lonely and about what his life had been like… And then, after meeting his mother and hearing about what she was like, Jan Di had to admit that she felt sorry for Jun Pyo. And she felt herself beginning to care about his happiness…


Woo Bin cut in, stirring Jan Di from her reverie. Jan Di could have used a break, as she was beginning to feel that unpleasant pinching that a pair of heels gave after being in them for more than a few minutes. But she agreed to the dance, and Woo Bin began to take her all around the room.

Ji Hoo and Yi Jeong were wonderful dancers, but Woo Bin was in a class all his own. His moves were incredibly smooth and his style was…fancier, as best Jan Di could describe it. He even spun her into him, much to Jan Di's surprise.

She was unprepared for it and expected to awkwardly slam against him, but he slowed her approach and she glided toward him—light as a feather. Woo Bin ended the dance by dipping Jan Di nearly to the floor. Jan Di stared up at Woo Bin, wide-eyed—he wore a debonair smile—as Ji Hoo, Yi Jeong, and Jun Pyo looked on. Ji Hoo crossed his arms and smiled faintly, while Yi Jeong smiled, and Jun Pyo subtly smirked.


The nightmare trio glared as F4 took turns dancing with Jan Di. The Flower 4 seemed to have no interest in anyone else in the room. It was like Geum Jan Di was their shiny new toy—one that the boys were all fighting to have their turn with.


Jan Di expected—and hoped—to get a break after the dance with Woo Bin, but then Jun Pyo approached her. Jan Di was floored when Jun Pyo silently held out his hand to her. Jan Di took his hand and began to dance with him.

While they danced, Jun Pyo seemed to be avoiding eye contact with her. Both of them were, actually.

But it was silly…

Jan Di cleared and glanced up at him. "How have you been, Jun Pyo?"

"Fine," he mumbled, as he continued to methodically dance with her. He was also a good dancer—but his style was much like his personality, commanding…

Jan Di gave a nervous laugh. "I didn't know you were a dancer, Gu Jun Pyo…"

"Well, it was expected that I learn."

Jan Di nodded, as he continued to lead her around the floor. "Do you like dancing?" she asked.

Jun Pyo looked down into her eyes this time. No one usually bothered to ask him what he liked or didn't like, or what he wanted... "Not really," he answered honestly.

Jan Di nodded. "Well, what do you like to do, Gu Jun Pyo?"

Again, it was not a question he was used to getting. Jun Pyo sighed. "The same things that most guys like…," he simply said.

Jan Di smiled faintly. As she'd always expected… Money and power aside, Jun Pyo was just an average guy, and he wanted to be treated as such…

Jun Pyo suddenly ended their dance, before the song ended. Jan Di bowed to him, and he gave a subtle nod before walking off. Jan Di went to Ji Hoo and F2.


Ji Hoo glanced to Jun Pyo, with a concerned look, and Jun Pyo exited the ballroom.

"Jan Di-yah, would you excuse me for a moment…," Ji Hoo said, touching her arm lightly.

Jan Di nodded, and Ji Hoo strode after Jun Pyo.


Jan Di sat down in a chair on the sidelines, watching after where Ji Hoo and Jun Pyo had gone. Yi Jeong and Woo Bin began to make their way around the room, mingling.

Ginger, Sunny, and Miranda approached Jan Di. "Well, well, well…," Ginger smirked. The other two wore condescending looks.

"What do you want?" Jan Di asked. She'd long since had her fill of the three and had exhausted all her reserves of politeness.

"Isn't it obvious? We want you to stop making a mockery of F4..."

Jan Di released a heavy sigh. "This again? OK, let's settle this once and for all..." Jan Di rose from her seat, and the girls took a step back, as if she was going to brawl with them right there in the middle of the dance floor.

"Let's go outside and talk," Jan Di suggested, "We don't want to spoil the party, right?"

The girls nodded, and they all went outside, exiting from the opposite end that Ji Hoo and Jun Pyo had gone.


Once outside, the three and Jan Di stood in front of the pool. "OK, let's have it," Jan Di said, "Get it all out…"

Ginger put her hands upon her hips. Miranda and Sunny did the same.

"Who do you think you are, Cinderella? What, do you plan to marry the Prince and become a princess? That just doesn't happen in real life…"

"I suppose that makes you three the jealous, wicked stepsisters," Jan Di said, stone-faced.

The three scoffed in unison.

"Look, I didn't ask for F4's attention. And I think you're getting ahead of yourselves… Who said anything about marriage…? Ji Hoo Sunbae and I just started dating. I don't know how far our relationship will end up going, but that will be between him and me. I've told you before that it's none of your business. And I'm not going to let you bully me into ending my relationship with him. If it ends, it'll be on our terms."

Ginger, Sunny, and Miranda simply glared at Jan Di.

"Nice dress…," Ginger muttered sarcastically, at a loss for any other words, "Where did you get it?"

"Probably some discount store…," Sunny laughed.

"Yea… Was it on sale?" Miranda asked condescendingly, as if that was the worst possible way to obtain an item.

Jan Di was silent, and she prepared to walk off on them.

"Ohh, what's this?" Ginger tugged at a loose thread on the back of Jan Di's sleeve.

"Don't!" Jan Di exclaimed, as the thread began to unravel. Jan Di spun around, and Ginger yanked out the entire thread, causing the sleeve to sag off Jan Di's shoulder. "Ya!"

"Oops…I guess it wasn't very well-made…," Ginger mumbled with a sneer.

Jan Di held the sleeve in place. She glared at the three for a second. Then, she began to to feel herself welling up, but she refused to give them the satisfaction of making her cry, so she turned to storm off. But as she did so, Miranda stuck her foot out and Jan Di tripped over it, falling into the swimming pool.


Jan Di gasped at the feel of the cold water. She swam to the edge of the pool, as the Shinwha girls all laughed and taunted. A crowd had gathered now. Yi Jeong and Woo Bin arrived. And then Jun Pyo and Ji Hoo did, just as Jan Di climbed out of the pool.

Ironically, it was remarkably like the story…even down to the wicked stepsisters sabotaging her dress and trying to ruin her evening with the Prince…

There Jan Di stood—soaked, with torn dress and disheveled hair—while all of Shinwha stared and made snide comments under their breath. All but F4.

Ji Hoo called out to Jan Di and rushed toward her. The girls turned to Ji Hoo, blocking his path.

"Sunbae, do you see this…she's an embarrassment…" Ji Hoo glared and pushed past them without bothering to be polite. They didn't deserve it.

Jan Di had to admit that her pride was badly hurt, and she couldn't take it anymore. It was just too much, and not just for her—Ji Hoo Sunbae must be humiliated, too, she imagined...

Without thinking, Jan Di turned—blinking back hot tears—and rushed off.


"Jan Di!" Ji Hoo called after her. He began to go after her, but then he stopped and turned to face the nightmare trio. The look on his face could have turned anyone to stone. Ginger, Sunny, and Miranda simultaneously took a step back out of fear and reverence.

"Who do you think you are…," Ji Hoo spoke low and menacingly, "All of you?!" he raised his voice and gestured to the entire crowd. "Do you think you are better than her…? Well, I'll tell you something…you are not! How dare you!" he shouted. "How dare you treat my girlfriend this way!"

Ji Hoo shot them all a last look of disgust and fury and rushed off after Jan Di. After taking a few steps, he noticed that one of her heels lay on the ground. He scooped it up, put it in the pocket of his jacket, and ran off in the direction he'd seen her go.


F3 looked between each other—it was a side of Ji Hoo they'd never seen before, shouting and making a big scene in public.

Suddenly, Jun Pyo took a step forward, approaching the group of girls. He got in Ginger's face, wearing a hardened expression.

"S-s-unbae-nim…," Ginger muttered.

"How dare you…," Jun Pyo seethed, seemingly equally furious as Ji Hoo.

The three stared, petrified.

"If you ever…do anything against Geum Jan Di again," Jun Pyo spoke in a voice as cold as a killer, "I'll personally make you regret it…"

"B-but Sunbaenim, she's tearing F4 apart!" Ginger bravely argued. The rift between Ji Hoo and Jun Pyo had not gone unnoticed by the three of them, nor most of Shinwha.

"Do I need to repeat myself?" Jun Pyo raised his voice. His burning eyes held Ginger's captive—she'd suddenly been rendered unable to move, as though she was a mouse being stared down by a python. "I said, don't try anything again! Geum Jan Di has the full support of F4 now. So, doing something against her is like doing something against F4…"

The three gaped.

"…Try something like this again," he spoke in a voice, even lower and more chilling, "…And you three will be the next to receive red cards… Arasso?!" he shouted at the end, causing Ginger and her companions to cringe and stumble back in shock and fear.

Jun Pyo turned and walked off past F2. Yi Jeong and Woo Bin exchanged a look and then followed after him.


Ji Hoo ran around looking for Jan Di and finally he found her behind a series of neatly trimmed bushes.

"Jan Di-yah… Are you OK?" Ji Hoo approached her, as she stood hugging herself and shivering lightly. He watched her raise a hand to her face, and then she turned around to face him. "Oh, Sunbae…yes, I'm fine…"

Ji Hoo went resolutely to her and took off his jacket. He placed it over her shoulders.

"Mianhada, Jan Di-yah…," Ji Hoo mumbled, as he ran his hands up and down her arms to warm her.

"For what, Sunbae?"

"For not protecting you…"

Jan Di smiled faintly. "You don't always have to protect me. I can handle myself, Sunbae…"

"I know you can, but it's my job…as your firefighter. The bell, I missed it… I didn't do my job..."

"It's not your fault."

"I shouldn't have left you, Jan Di… I'm so sorry…"

"It's OK, Sunbae…you can't always be there…and it wasn't that big of a deal anyway…" She put on a strong face.

Ji Hoo stared down into her eyes. "Jan Di-yah…"

The dejected look upon her face was crushing him. She deserved so much better than what she had to endure on a daily basis… He had hoped to make things better for her at school. He had wanted to do something special for her, to give her a nice evening and show her how much he cared for her… He'd wanted to make her happy tonight. But instead, she'd gotten hurt again…

Jan Di sighed. "I'm sorry, Sunbae, to trouble you…you didn't need to come after me. You could have just gone home."

"Do you think I would just desert you?" Ji Hoo asked, gently, "I told you before that I never would, no matter what…"

Jan Di sniffed, "No, but…you didn't need to…," she turned away.

Ji Hoo sighed and stood behind her. "Jan Di-yah…" he placed his hands upon her shoulders. "Please don't take anything those horrible girls said to heart…they know absolutely nothing… And they're not going to bother you anymore, I promise… I'll make sure of it."

Jan Di turned around to face him. She wasn't often so forward—and it caught Ji Hoo a bit off-guard—but Jan Di wrapped her arms around his neck and went up on her tiptoes to give him a tender kiss. Ji Hoo instinctively tightened his arms around her waist—not yet allowing her to break way—and pressed his lips to hers. And then he pulled her in tight against him and embraced her.

"Sunbae, I'm getting you all wet!" Jan Di protested.

"I don't care about that," he whispered gently, as he her hair. "…But you should get into some dry clothes…before you catch a cold…"

He pulled her back, and Jan Di nodded. Ji Hoo looked deep into her eyes for a moment.


"Oh, I have something for you, Jan Di-yah," Ji Hoo said, and before Jan Di could ask what it was, he was down upon one knee on the ground before her, pulling something out of his jacket pocket.

"S-s-sunbae…wh-what are you doing?" Jan Di stammered.

Ji Hoo smiled up at her, "Returning your shoe to you, of course," he said, producing the heel from his pocket. "I think you lost this, Jan Di-yah," he held her heel out upon his outstretched hand.

"I know you're the Wonder Girl, but how far did you expect to get without this?" and he took her ankle in his hand.

Jan Di chuckled. The pocket had felt a little bulky… "Oh, yeah… Gomawo, Sunbae, but you don't have to…" But before she could finish speaking, he was already gently slipping the shoe upon her bare right foot.


Ji Hoo watched Jan Di's eyes suddenly grow misty. "Gomawo, Sunbae," she gave a short bow and turned from him again.

"Jan Di-yah… What is it?" he gently asked, putting his hands upon her shoulders and turning her back to face him.

"I just…wanted to look nice for you…and…," Jan Di sniffled, "…not embarrass you for once…"

Ji Hoo sighed and took her in his arms again, "You could never embarrass me," he whispered against her ear, sending tingles up and down her spine. His embrace brought with it a kind of warmth that transcended the chill from being damp.

"And as far as looking nice goes…," he pulled her back and gazed upon her. In actuality, his heart had stopped for a moment when he first saw her that night.

"You look absolutely breathtaking… You're the most beautiful girl I've ever seen," he her cheek with the back of his fingertips.

Though his words and touch threatened to melt her heart, Jan Di knew that Ji Hoo had to be exaggerating to make her feel better. She thought of all the other girls at school, with their fancy designer dresses, their salon-styled hair, and their top-of-the line cosmetic products… And here she was…with her handmade dress, her simple whisked up hair, and her touch of convenience store powder and blush… How could she possibly compare?

It truly was like the Cinderella story…here she stood before the amazing, handsome prince, but she was no princess… She was merely a common girl. And she wasn't even beautiful like Cinderella was… What was the prince thinking anyway?


Jan Di gave Ji Hoo an appreciative—yet halfhearted—smile. "That's sweet of you, Sunbae, but I know you're just being nice… I couldn't possibly compare to someone like Seo Hyun Unnie or so many of the other girls out there who like you..." Jan Di sighed, "Maybe you're just a little bit blinded because I'm your girlfriend and you care about me…"

Jan Di stared down at her borrowed heels. She hadn't meant to speak her insecurities aloud, but they'd been pricking at her all night—like nettles—and just slipped out in a moment of weakness…

Ji Hoo sighed, "Jan Di-yah, look at me…" His voice was gentle, soothing, and filled with affection. She looked up at him slowly. "Maybe you're right…"

She turned slightly, unable to hide the fact that his words stung. Ji Hoo ran his hands up and down her arms.

"Let me explain, Jan Di… They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder…," Ji Hoo continued, "You think I'm just being nice? You think I don't really mean what I'm saying but that I have to say those things because we're in a relationship? You think that I'm somehow blinded or my judgment is clouded…? Well, maybe there's a bit of truth to that…"

She gave a painful nod and looked away, doing her best to banish the tears that threatened to spill once more.

"They say love clouds your judgment…," Ji Hoo began again. This time he turned away.

Love?

Ji Hoo began to pace.

"Love can be exhilarating, overpowering, and even dangerous…," Ji Hoo continued, "…And I've experienced that type of feeling before… But it's so different this time, Jan Di, I can't explain…it's like I never knew what the real thing was before… But now I do…"

Ji Hoo turned to look at Jan Di again, and she was staring back, completely stunned. The sleeves of his jacket hung down over her small hands, making her even more adorable to him.

He approached her again. He stood before her and looked into her eyes. "If I am blinded or not thinking clearly, Jan Di-yah, that's only because I am so in love…"

In love… With me…? Had she heard him right?

Jan Di's lips parted, and her chest began to rise and fall heavily. She took a step back and stumbled, but Ji Hoo caught her by the arm.

"There I go, speaking too freely again…," he lightly scoffed at himself. She was still staring

"Oh, you're trembling…," He began rubbing both of her arms briskly again to create friction.


After a moment, Ji Hoo slowed the motion to a stop and held her arms. "…I know you don't think much of yourself, Jan Di, but I do. I think you are an amazing person…the most amazing I've ever known… And I want you to know how much I care for you…"

Ji Hoo paused, took a deep breath, and—with renewed determination—continued. "…For me, in this moment—right here and now—you are the most beautiful thing I have ever seen, Geum Jan Di…and…," he looked deep into her mahogany eyes, "…I am completely in love with you…"


Jan Di's heart was beating faster and faster…faster than she thought it ever had before. She was almost afraid, in fact, that it would beat so fast that it would suddenly stop, or simply explode…

And all she could manage in response was to utter his name. "Ji Hoo…"

Ji Hoo smiled tenderly at her. And then he took her face in his hands, leaned in, and gave her a passionate kiss…


After they broke apart, Ji Hoo rested his forehead against Jan Di's, caressing her soft cheek lightly with his thumb.

"I'm not going to let you be hurt anymore, Jan Di," he whispered, "I'm going to protect you and take care of you, always… I promise... Starting with taking you to get into some dry clothing and warm up…"

Jan Di smiled and nodded against him, and he put an arm around her shoulder and led her to the car.


A/N: Thoughts?

Ji Hoo falling asleep randomly at odd times and in odd places never gets old for me, and I had to get Jan Di in on that, haha! Of course JanHoo had to take a nap together at some point! I hope this chapter wasn't too boring. And yeah, I know…I'm horrible…everyone is so mean to Jan Di… Sorry, Jan Di! And there will be some better conflict later on…

Teaser for Next Chapter: New Caledonia: Fun in the sun for F4, Jan Di, and Ga Eul in New Caledonia! Jan Di questions Ji Hoo's love for her and whether or not he's truly over Seo Hyun. Yi Jeong and Ga Eul have a little chat and get to know one another better. Will the tension between Ji Hoo and Jun Pyo reach a head?