Final

Unexpected

Taemin didn’t know how he ended up in this situation. It started with him coming to his local coffee shop for a quick bite on his work break. What he didn’t expect to see was his boyfriend of a few months- Kibum, who hadn’t called called him in a few days, sitting at a table in front of a guy he knew not.

At first Taemin thought Kibum was busy or something. They were together but things weren’t very strict. The two of them were both easy going and wanted to go slow before eventually becoming serious. 

Of course Taemin seemed to have read the signs wrong. Taemin walked up to the pair and asked him calmly what he was up to. He expected Kibum to lie, try to save his , or spare Taemin’s feelings. But no, he didn’t. Instead he decided to come out clean and say: “Oh, sorry babe I uh, kinda found someone else. It’s okay thought right, I mean, we were never exclusive anyways so..” While Taemin found it in him to appreciate his honesty, his chest ached, did Kibum have no remorse?

That’s what led him here now, weeping his tired heart out in front of a complete stranger, who’s name Taemin came to know was Jonghyun. Jonghyun, a perfectly sweet college student, was on his way to class but had decided to grab a coffee, and he would have proceeded to buy himself a beverage, had he not been standing behind Taemin, in line waiting to order. 

Taemin’s weeps made his spin around. He surveyed the scene: A poor guy crying over his boyfriend cheating slash breaking up with him. Having not too long ago suffered through his own mishaps, something clicked inside Jonghyun, told him to stick up for the weeping boy. And that’s just what he did; told the rotten ex to beat it, sat Taemin down and a table, and bought both of them some tea.

Once seated, Taemin was still sobbing, albeit a little confused that a random stranger had taken it upon himself to care for him. But Taemin didn’t protest, not when his heart had just been stepped on. Through blurry eyes he watched Jonghyun; he was definitely a sight for sore eyes, and boy was Taemin in need of a pick me up.

The first half of the conversation was filled with small words of; Are you okay? Do you need something? What can I do? It was sweet, really, and flattering too, to have this guy Taemin hardly knew, look after him. Taemin shook his head every time Jonghyun asked him a question, but was a little flustered when Jonghyun decided to take the conversation somewhere else.

“Shh baby, don’t wast your tears on him, he isn’t worth it,” Jonghyun spoke softly, leaning a little closer next to Taemin.

Baby? Taemin gulped in embarrassment at Jonghyun’s words. He didn’t love Kibum, but he was sure he was on his way there, and even so, he couldn’t lie to himself that having Jonghyun near him sent goosebumps over his body. And while his heart ached still, he found it in himself to smile at Jonghyun’s new approach. He gulped again when Jonghyun brushed a thumb over his flushed cheek, wiping away a few stray tears he had spilt.

“Mm, it just- hurts so much.” Taemin mumbled. Jonghyun hushed him again and reached for some tissues near him at their table, He handed Taemin one and when Taemin didn’t reach for it he decided to blot away the tears himself.

“I know, I know, trust me,” Jonghyun whispered. Taemin coughed a bit and Jonghyun didn’t know if he was okay or not, didn’t care about the looks he might get, was only focused on wrapping Taemin up in his arms. While the hug itself made Taemin feel a bit better, the sounds escaping him didn’t seem so pleasant, and Jonghyun pulled back when he heard his whimpers, having thought he did something wrong. 

“Is- sorry I just-” Jonghyun tried to say, pink creeping up on his own cheeks. Taemin shook his head and reached for one of Jonghyun’s hands.

“It’s alright.” Taemin spoke softly. 

Taemin didn’t love Kibum, but he wouldn’t mind using that four letter word on the man in front of him someday.