birthday soup

cheese cake and lattes
Please log in to read the full chapter

After Yoona hears that beep the studio lights make, she stands up from her stool and briskly walks to the vanity table and checks her phone. Pressing the home button, she sees all sorts of notifications pop up her lock screen. Her group mates were pretty active, as continuous speech bubbles popped out. Yoona let out a giggle and tried to reply, but as she typed, more speech bubbles popped out.

Happy Birthday, Yoong!

yoongie, happy birthday!

we love u, yoooooooooona

Unnie, stay healthy! Happy birthday!

She laughs, and thanked the group. Yoona told herself that she would thank them with a better reply later. She ended with a goofy sticker.

"Yoona," her manager calls her and lightly taps her shoulder. "We only need three more shots, and we're done for today." then gives poor Yoona an apologetic smile.

"Sorry you have to work tonight." Her manager says in a low tone. "We were supposed to shoot tomorrow, but the magazine editor completely messed up the schedule and forgot that the layouts needed to be finished by tomorrow." She sighs. Yoona knew that getting mad won't get her anywhere, so she closes her eyes, and smiles at her frustrated manager.

"It's alright, Unnie." Yoona says as she places a comforting hand on her manager's shoulder. "As long as we finish."

+++

Back at their dorm, it was minutes before midnight... Minutes before Eunha's birthday. Yuju restrained Eunha from doing the chores on her special day, so she she sat on their small sofa, waiting for her group mates to finish.

The other five divided their tasks. Some were prepping food in the kitchen, some were hanging up streamers made with magazine strips. They were so busy lately that they didn't get the time to buy decent decorations. Sowon felt guilty, but Eunha told her that as long as they were together, everything would be A-OK.

Bored, Eunha surfed through all of the channels, but there was nothing to watch but re-runs they've already seen. She then decides to tune in into a music show.

Tell me why~

The tune sounded too familiar. Eunha felt warm inside for no reason, turning the TV's volume up.

It was an old clip of Girls' Generation performing Lion Heart. They were all so pretty in those silver outfits. Eunha's eyes twinkled like the outfits the famous girl group wore when the camera caught a glimpse of Yoona.

Sunbae-nim...

Breaking her fantasy was a hyped up Yerin dancing to the chorus.

"Unnie!" Eunha calls, smiling to Yerin's silly version of Lion Heart's key move. The latter then sits beside the bobbed-hair girl and gives one cheek a kiss, like she usually does. At first, this habit of Yerin's  surprised her, but she got used to it eventually. "Happy Birthday, Eunbi-ya!" she greets, wrapping both of her arms around Eunha.

"How do you feel being a year older?" Yerin asks. Eunha smiles and looks at the ceiling.

"Oh Unnie, it isn't even midnight yet." she laughs.

"Soup's done!" Sowon shouts from the kitchen.

+++

After the shoot was done, she bids goodbye to her team and quickly drives to the nearest cafe to pick up a cake. Yoona would usually go for a sweet cake, like chocolate, a strawberry shortcake or something with coffee, but she thinks about somebody and shoves the idea of a sugar-induced cake. After a tough decision, she finally bought a strawberry cheese cake. Not too sweet, and definitely not too plain.

"I'll have this whole cheese cake," Yoona taps her finger on the freezer and points to the strawberry cheese cake. The barista was clearly starstruck, but she tried to hide it and look as professional as possible. "Would that be all, Ma'am?" She asks, trying to hide her shock. Yoona gives her a thumbs up as her other hand reaches for her wallet.

"Ah," Yoona pauses. "And please add in seven lattes. Six regulars and a large." She follows, handing in her payment.

 

With a cake box and two drink carriers in one hand, Yoona fishes out her phone with the other. She checks the time and sees that it was already half past midnight. She knew that rushing to get to her destination would most likely do her no good, so she breathes in and out. She was tense for one second, then gazes at the night sky and calms down. The cold, night air made her feel that everything was going to go smoothly.

She hops on her car, gently placing the cake and the drinks on the passenger side. Before she could insert her keys, her phone vibrates and smiles when she sees the notification. She lifts up her sunglasses up to her head and squints at the sudden light her phone emitted.

Unnie, I want to see you...

+++

"How was the food, Eunbi-ya?" Yuju chirps as she starts clearing up the table, with the help of Sowon. The older half of the "97-line" gives Yuju two thumbs-up. "The chicken was to die for, Yuna!" she exclaims, making Yuju embarrassed all of a sudden. "It was Sojung-unnie's idea to marinate it in lemons, though."

Eunha couldn't be thankful enough. For no reason at all, she clings onto the younger Eunbi, who could only cringe and make a silly face. 

"Yewon, help me-" SinB says as if Eunha was choking her. The youngest could only laugh at her Unnies' antics.

"Did you finish your soup, Eunbi?" Yerin butts in, joining in Eunha and SinB's embrace. She pecks both of their cheeks, making SinB let out another yelp.

"Yes, Unnie. It was good." Eunha says, booping Yerin's nose with hers.

The younger Eunbi looked like she couldn't take it anymore and Umji noticed, so she dragged poor SinB away from her clingy unnies.

 

After tidying up their dorm, it was time for everyone to sleep. It was a quarter past one in the morning. Before everyone could go into their respective rooms, t

Please log in to read the full chapter