— how can I?

II. How can I show you?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Once more,” Hongseok said from across the court, rolled the ball he had been holding onto the ground until it landed conveniently close to the younger’s feet. “Go for another lay-up.”

Seonho nodded his head, wiped the beads of sweat that had gathered on his temples with the back of his palm. He hunched down and took the ball, and with purposeful strides made a safe distance away from the ring. He bounced the ball a couple of times and took an audible breath, clearing his head of any unnecessary thoughts then slowly drove right in. Though the younger still had a lot of flaws in his form and ball control, he somehow managed to control his pace; with each flick of his wrist Hongseok could see the way the younger’s hardly visible muscles stretched as he moved. Seonho bent his knees and before Hongseok noticed, Seonho suddenly quickened. The younger became a blur, shifting swiftly from left to right, evading his invisible foe as he made his way to the basket.

With a jump, quite effortless, like he was weightless, Seonho’s hand was close to the hoop, throwing the ball in with ease. There was a split second where the younger looked with he was suspending in mid-air, his jumping prowess somehow kept him afloat, and Hongseok thought that it looked beautiful.

Seonho landed the same time as the ball did and turned to look at his dad, a wide smile on his face, proud of his latest achievement.

“There you go, kiddo. That was a nice shot,” Hongseok said, returning the grin. “Here.” He handed the younger his half empty water bottle when the latter jogged towards where he was. Seonho gulped down the entire bottle an instant after; jumping that high had managed to all of his energy, he still lacked stamina. “You’ve gotten better, I’m impressed.”

“Thanks Dad.” Seonho smiled. “I still need to fix my take off, though. I usually get out of balance when I land. The rate of success in my jumps aren’t that high just yet.”

“True, you still have to polish a few things. But with how you are now, just continue practicing like usual, you’ll be amazing in no time.” And Hongseok wasn’t even exaggerating his assertion. Seonho was really good, there was no use sugar-coating his words. “You have the makings of a great basketball player, kiddo.”

“Better than you, Dad?”

Hongseok barely resisted the urge to roll his eyes at his son. Clearly Seonho was just teasing, even fighting back a smirk that threatened to spread on his face, but it never failed to irk Hongseok somehow. “Now let’s not get that far.”

Seonho had a thing for basketball; it was Hongseok who taught him. It became their common ground as the younger grew up, something they bond over. At first Hongseok thought he was just pressuring the kid, considering the older played for their collegiate basketball team back in the day and wanted nothing more than for his own son to inherit the same passion he did for the sport, but it seemed like Seonho really did appreciated the game on his own accord.

The younger was a natural, his raw talent was astounding, kept surprising Hongseok no matter how many times the older watched the younger practice and in action at his official games at school.

“That’s enough, kids,” a voice from afar called, both boys turned their heads to where its source came from. Jinho was wearing an apron, standing by the back door of their house, a plate of fried chicken on his hand, waving for the two with his free one. “Lunch is ready.”

The promise of food made Hongseok’s ears perk. “Race ‘ya to the table,” he said to the younger and was quick than ever before to head to the wooden table they had at their backyard.

“That’s cheating!” Seonho shouted but Hongseok already turned his heel and was gone. The younger made a run for it, following closely behind his dad.

“Slow down,” Jinho slightly scolded his two rowdy boys as they scrambled their way to the table, fighting like kids on who arrived first. They were going to have lunch outdoors like they usually do when the two adults don’t have work. It had sort of became a small tradition; a small way from them to bond with their only son. Hongseok already prepared the table before he and Seonho had their small match and Jinho cooked the food for them. “You guys smell of sweat, take a bath after this.” Jinho scrunched his nose in disgust when Hongseok passed by him, his husband’s strong masculine smell was too much to take in one whiff.

“Yes, Princess,” Hongseok teased when he was seated, reached for the elder’s shirt to pull him close when Jinho placed the food on the table, but Jinho swat his hand away. Hongseok faked hurt in his voice as he whined ridiculously. It made Jinho chuckle at the other’s childish antics before he settled beside Hongseok.

Seonho smiled fondly as he watched his parents interact. Jinho and Hongseok had always been affectionate with each other and was doing a very horrible job at hiding it. But Seonho never seemed to mind, he actually liked it, liked it best when his parents act like two love-struck teenagers in his presence. It made him feel so loved.

Albeit his young age, Seonho already knew he was different from the rest, he wasn’t like everyone else. He was special in a way. He grew up being teased or made fun of at school for having two dads. At first, he didn’t seem to mind it until other people started pointing it out, in either hushed voices or irrational gossips, rubbing it in his face like it was nothing. His dads were gay, that he knew. Although it was hard, Seonho was a strong kid, kept a happy face and never let it get to him. He loved both Jinho and Hongseok while all his heart, he was their kid and they were his parents no matter what. He loved them just the same.

And besides, being gay wasn’t a bad thing. Seonho knew fo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter