Chapter 4

Blurred Lines
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

Sooyoung goes as far as the park near her school. Married at 19, she never would've imagined this. Even if it is just an arranged marriage, it'll still be the same. She'll have to live with and trust a person she barely knows. How is she gonna do that? What is he's a bad person? But if she doesn't agree to this, then her father's life and death would've been for nothing. Sooyoung adores her father even to this day and letting some power and money hungry family run the company would be an insult to his memory. After all, she might have the chance to leave if she wants to. Her mother will allow her, won't she? After all it's over, she can find someone who she truly loves and loves her in return.

 

She decides to walk back home to strengthen her resolve. In front of her home, she gazes at the house across theirs.

 

"What is Sungjae thinking now? Does he already know?" she utters to herself.

 

Sooyoung enters her living room and sees her mother waiting for her with a sad smile on her face. "Sooyoung – ah, I can understand if you don't want to do this. " Mrs. Park's voice is filled with guilt and apology. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't put such a huge responsibility on your shoulders. I shouldn't have thought of it in the first place..."

 

"I'll do it."Sooyoung cuts off what her mother is saying.

 

"What?" 

 

Sooyoung shrugs. "I'll do it. It's for our family, right?" she cups her mother's hand with her own. "But I do have some questions first?"

 

"Of course." Mrs. Park nods, encouraging Sooyoung.

 

"If I want to, will I be able to end the marriage?"

 

"Of course, I won't stop you from getting your own happiness Sooyoung – ah. As soon as we can do something about those people, we can put an end to it."

 

"Okay, I have another question. Sungjae seems to be a nice guy but what if he isn't?"

 

Mrs. Park chuckles softly at this question. "He's not a bad guy. Don't worry. Do you think I would let someone hurt you?"

 

"Okay." Sooyoung smiles sadly. "So, what's gonna happen now?"

 

"We'll meet with Sungjae's family again tomorrow at lunch." Sooyoung nods at her mother. "I'm really sorry about this Sooyoung – ah."

 

The girl shakes her head. "It's okay. I decided on this. So, do I need to bring something for him tomorrow?"

 

Mrs. Park thinks about it. "His parents say that he likes fishing so much. If I remember correctly, fishing and snowboarding are his favorite hobbies."

 

"Oh cool. I'll think of something tomorrow. I'll get some rest now." Sooyoung stands up her resolve stronger than ever remembering how her mother looked tired the past few months.

 

Arranged marriage or not, she want to make a very good impression to her husband – to – be. The name of their families are on the line, so when she goes back to her room and picks out her attire for tomorrow, something simple and cute: A white sleeveless dress with a blue cardigan over it and high heels. And tomorrow, she plans to stop by the mall to pick out a gift for him.

 

The next morning, Sooyoung makes sure that everything will be perfect. She wants to look simple so she straightens her hair to its normal look and put on her make – up.

 

"Sooyoung – ah, are you ready? We have to leave soon!" Mrs. Park calls her downstairs.

 

Sooyoung checks herself on the mirror before going downstairs. "I'm coming mom!"

 

"You look adorable!" she squeals as soon as she sees her daughter in the living room.

 

"Thanks." Sooyoung blushes slightly. "Can we stop by the mall? I want to buy a present for Sungjae."

 

"Sure dear." Mrs. Park agrees.

 

Charlie accompanies Sooyoung inside the mall after dropping Mrs. Park to the restaurant. The girl runs around different stores just trying to find the perfect gift, until finally, she finds a fishing store. She goes inside and inquires at the clerk. She buys the reel that the store clerk recommended and puts it in a pretty bag.

 

After buying the gift, Sooyoung and Charlie speeds off back to the restaurant. When they arrived, Mrs. Park is already sitting with three people, their backs facing her so she can't see their faces and vice versa.

 

"Sooyoung – ah!" Mrs. Park grins happily.

 

When she finally meets her future husband, she didn't expect the shock that the boy shows on his face. It's like he expects her to be a total stranger, a new face. But to his surprise, it's someone he knows.

 

"Park Joy?!" Sungjae exclaims as soon as the girl sits across him. . "You're my..." he can't even bring himself to finish the sentence. His ears immediately turn red.

 

As for Sooyoung, her face has been red the entire time, ever since her mother told her that Sungjae's gonna be his husband. She doesn't want to care much about it but if she told anyone she isn't nervous, she would be lying.

 

"Hi." He waves weakly at her.

 

"Great! So now that we're all here, let's talk business." Mrs. Park begins with authority in her voice. "Both of you knows what's at stake here. You can always back out if you want to. As your parents we won't stop you from saving yourself from doing such a dangerous scheme like this. Do either of you have any other objections?" Sooyoung and Sungjae shake their heads. "The wedding will happen in a week. We also know that you will be training starting on Monday. So right after your shift, Charlie will you to your wedding preparations. You will also do your wedding fitting tomorrow. I'm assuming you'll want to invite your friends too. But you must not... and I MEAN NOT... tell them the truth behind your marriage. It is safe for them."

 

"After the wedding, you two will move in a new house." Mr. Yook then follows. "Don't worry it won't be that far from us. You might think this is all exaggerated but if you look carefully and do not be obvious, around you, you will see that you're being watched."

 

Only then did Sooyoung and Sungjae realize that there are several men and looking them meticulously, mafia – looking people.

 

"Are they from the people that you told us about?" Sooyoung asks her mother.

 

Mrs. Park nods. "Yes. It seems that you will be watched from now on so be careful. Better be a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter