Chapter 1

Blurred Lines
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“No one is looking at you. No one is looking at you.”

These are the words that Park Sooyoung has been muttering ever since waking up for the first day of school. “No one is gonna bully you today. It’s just the first day of school. And if they do, you can face them with your head high. You are a strong, independent woman. Go Sooyoung!”

 

Sooyoung makes her way downstairs and greets her baby sister, Hwayoung, who is already smiling as her big sister approaches her.

“Good morning Hwayoung.” Sooyoung kisses the top of her baby sister’s forehead. She then goes to the kitchen and hugs her mother from behind. “Good morning mom.”

“Good morning Sooyoung. Have you been to your father?” Sooyoung’s mother smiles at her daughter.

Sooyoung shakes her head. “Not yet. I was just about to go to him.” The girl lets go of his mother and goes to a shrine next to their living room with a framed photograph of Sooyoung's father. “Good morning dad. Today is my first day of being a 4th year high school. I’m a little scared but don’t worry. I’m a tough girl just like the way you taught me to be.” She smiles widely.

 

Mrs. Park can’t help but smile with a hint of sadness at her daughter. But she’s suddenly distracted by Hwayoung crying loudly near her ears.

“Who’s gonna watch Hwayoung today mom?” Sooyoung asks as soon as she sits on her place.

“Unfortunately, no one is available for today so I’ll be taking her with me at the office.” Mrs. Park frowns.

“Oh, I’ll just pick her up later after school then. I’ll ask Hana to come with me and we can watch her together. “ She beams at her mother.

Mrs. Park gives Sooyoung a thumbs – up. “That’ll be great since I have to work late tonight. I’ll leave you some food for dinner then.”

 

Sooyoung gets ready for school after eating breakfast and is ready to go just as her car is.

“Do I really have to be accompanied by Charlie? Can’t I just go to school using my bike?

Mrs. Park shakes her head. “You know perfectly well that you can’t and you know why Sooyoung – ah.”

 

Agreeing with her mother, Sooyoung kisses her and her baby sister on her cheeks before waving goodbye.

 

As soon as Charlie, her driver, opens her side of the car, Sooyoung dashes out and heads for the lockers but not before shouting “See you later Charlie!” at him.

“Good morning Sooyoung!” Hana, her best friend, waves at her. “I missed you.”

Sooyoung laughs softly. “I slept over at your place last week Hana.” She chuckles. “Speaking of which, wanna come over after school mom couldn’t find a babysitter for Hwayoung.”

“Sure thing! Just make sure we have lots of food for later.” Hana nods enthusiastically. “By the way, have you heard? We have a transfer student this year.”

“Really?” Sooyoung asks, sounding curious. “Did you hear anything else about it?

Hana nods again. “I heard that he or she used to live in Philippines but then 3 months ago they moved to England but moved here last month.”

“Whoa. The student is foreign then?”

“I guess so. Sure looks like it.”

“Must be hard. Why would you move out of England so soon, right?” Sooyoung thinks as she and Hana makes their way to their classroom.

 

As they took their seats, they are approached by 3 mean – looking girls.

“How was spending summer back in the dumpster Park Joy? It’s a surprise to see you here again. What did your family have to sell now just to make sure you return here?”

“You would know about spending summer I a dumpster, won’t you Kara?” Sooyoung chuckled. “Why don’t you tell me all about it?”

“Why you little…” Kara raises her hand and slaps Sooyoung right on the cheek.

Sooyoung wipes the side of that spilled some blood. “You hit like a baby. Let’s go Hana. I need to wash off the dirt on my face.” The two girls make their way to the bathroom.

 

Hana didn’t know what to do and just watches her friend wipe the trace of blood from the side of .

“Are you gonna be okay?” Hana asks.

Sooyoung turns and faces her friend. “I’ll be fine. Nothing ice couldn’t heal.”

 

They make their way back to their classroom and fortunately, their homeroom teacher as already inside.

“Okay class.” He began. “Now that you’re all here, I have some announcement.” Whispers break out inside the room. “This school year, we will be joined by a new student in our class. Please enter.” The teacher gazes at the door.

 

The sliding door suddenly opens and a boy with dark hair comes in and looks at everyone with indifference.

“Everyone, this is Yook Sungjae.” The teacher introduces.

The boy in front, too tall for his age, bows to everyone. “Hello everyone. My name is Yook Sungjae. Please take care of me.”

“Alright Mr. Yook, you can sit at the back beside Jo Kwangmin.” The boy name Kwangmin raises his hand, who is sitting next to a vacant seat behind Yoonseo. “That is all for today and quietly wait for your next teacher. Ms. Park, kindly close the door at the back please.”

 

Sooyoung quietly stands up but as she makes her way to the door, one of the girls that were with Kara earlier trips her on her feet. Hana stands up with shock on her face but her friend just shakes her head at her while everyone but 4 people laughs at her.

“You better wash that up since you only have one uniform.” The girl who tripped her says.

 

Sooyoung stands up and acts like nothing happened after closing the door and going back to her seat.

“I don’t know why you can’t let everyone know who you really are.” Hana whispered.

“Shh.” Sooyoung puts her finger in between her lips. “I don’t have time for fake friends Hana, you know that.”

 

What Hana and Sooyoung didn’t know is that the transfer student is looking curiously at the two, clearly understanding what the two was talking about.

 

As it is only the first day back, there is not much to do. Everyone is in chaos, rejoicing being with their friends again.

“Hi. Sungjae right?”” the boy next to him taps him on his shoulder.

Sungjae nods. “I’m Kwangmin and this is my twin brother, Youngmin.” Only now did he notice that next to his neighbor is another boy identical to Kwangmin.

“Hello!” Youngmin smiles. “Welcome! Hey, we heard that you’re from England. How come you don’t look foreign?”

Sungjae, feeling more comfortable with the twins, answer. “My parents are Korean but we migrated to Philippines when I was 10 until we moved to England 3 months ago. And then we decided to come back here to continue my studies.”

“Oh.” The twins’ faces are in awe.

“How come you’re not joining your classmates in celebrating?” Sungjae asks.

The twins look at each other. “We usually just keep to ourselves.”Youngmin says. “Look over there.”

 

Youngmin is now pointing to the big group of girls ogling at the three of them, squealing like there’s no tomorrow. And then Sungjae’s gaze suddenly is now on the girl in front of him, talking animatedly with her friend.

“Hey.” Sungjae whispers as quietly as he could that

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter