Back to December

Slice of life | Neo

.:: Taylor Swift - Back to December ::.

 

"oh my god, Taekwoon thank you so much for agreeing on this!" Hakyeon cried joyfully when he met Taekwoon. Lately Hakyeon have been interested in making music, he gets -a lot of- helps -and encouragement- from his friend, Wonshik and now successfully made a song.

 

He's been working on that song since four months ago and it's almost done. He only need someone to sing it for him. But somehow, no voice could satisfy him. He does not find a voice that fits his song. Wonshik suddenly suggested a name. Jung Taekwoon. The man he used to be with. His ex. He tried his luck calling Taekwoon, not getting his hope high. But somehow, Taekwoon agreed to help him.

 

Taekwoon shook his head. "Nevermind. Wonshik asked me to help you", he stated. Hakyeon smiled. "So..." He continued as he leads Taekwoon into the recording studio.

 

 

••

 

Hakyeon has everything. His life was perfect, and he couldn't ask more. He got a caring family, friends he could trust and an understanding boyfriend.

 

He met Taekwoon during his first year in University. They were not from the same course, but somehow he met Taekwoon at the cafe and somehow he fall in love in the man. Things go on until he officially announced to everyone that Taekwoon is his.

 

Things were okay. Everything was okay. Taekwoon was really understanding. Even when Hakyeon kept coming home late because of practices or because he hangout with his friends, Taekwoon did not complain even a bit. He would smile, welcoming Hakyeon home with an open hands. He would hug Hakyeon when that man had a bad day. He would listened to Hakyeon's countless chattering about what had happened to him that day. 

 

Hakyeon grown comfortable to that. He was so used to have Taekwoon comforting him that he forgot that Taekwoon is a human too. He needs comfort too.

 

That night he got a text from Taekwoon when he's with his friend. 'at my friend's' he replied shortly before turning his phone off. He and his friends have a rule 'no phone when hangouts' so he did, not noticing how Taekwoon's message seems off. He did not notice how Taekwoon's text did not sound happy.

 

He got home late that night. It's passed two in the morning when he finally stepped in the house. He the lights and saw Taekwoon curling on the couch, eyes open looking at nothing.

 

"Taekwoon?" He called the man.

 

Taekwoon didn't reply. Only after he called in a louder voice Taekwoon finally looked up. "Hey, what's wrong?" He asked, approaching Taekwoon at the same time.

 

"you drank?" the first question Taekwoon asked as he gazed at Hakyeon up and down.

 

"Er... Yeah" Hakyeon rubbed his neck. "But I'm sober now. I walked on the way home. So..."

 

"You know I hate it when you drink, right?!" Taekwoon voiced. Taekwoon hates alcohol so much. His parents died when he was at high school, because of a drunk driver. Hakyeon knows that and he should have known better.

"Yeah, but I'm out with my friends, you know how they're like." Hakyeon explained, he actually felt bad, suddenly remembered the tragedy that took away Taekwoon's parents.

"Did you even look at your phone?" Taekwoon asked this time, only then Hakyeon decided to checked his phone. A few message from Taekwoon and the latest was 'I need you'. He teared his eyes away from the phone and looked at Taekwoon. "Taek, are you-"

"Forget it Hakyeon." Taekwoon stands. Hakyeon suddenly noticed a big luggage next to the couch.

"I'm tired Hakyeon. You were not there when I need you. All this time, you were never there! You never cared about my feelings. Everything is all about you!" Tears rolled down Taekwoon's pale cheeks. He used his end sleeves to wipe the tears away. 

Hakyeon didn't seem to get what Taekwoon meant. He frowned when Taekwoon grabbed the luggage, walking out of the house. "Taek, wait"

"It's over Hakyeon" Taekwoon said, he didn't even look back. He threw his luggage into the car and drove away.

it's a cold December night when Taekwoon left him.

 

•• 

 

Hakyeon tried to make a conversation. He tried asking how and what's Taekwoon being doing. They haven't keep in contact ever since that night, it has been seven months. Taekwoon seems to have his guard up, he only answered important things. Fully rejected it when Hakyeon tried to talk about them, about their past.

 

Well, if he really wants to forget it. 

 

They took the whole day to finish recording the song. When it's done, the clock showed a little more passed ten. 

 

"I gotta go" Taekwoon said, picking up his bag.

 

"Already?"

 

"Yeah, look at the time" Taekwoon pointed at the clock that's been hanging on the wall.

 

"ohhh... Well, yeah. Okay" 

 

"You sure you don't want me to treat you to lunch or anything? As a gratitude I mean" They walked out of the studio together. Taekwoon shook his head and gave a small smile. "It's okay, you don't have to"

 

Hakyeon nodded, if Taekwoon does not want then he can't force him to. "You drive?"

 

"yeah"

 

Hakyeon hummed. "there you go. I'm staying here a bit more" he said, grabbing the doorknob to open the door.

 

"Well... Goodbye Hakyeon". Taekwoon smiled, a sincere one before walking out.

 

Hakyeon keep looking at Taekwoon walking, each steps making their distance to grow farther.

One step.

Two.

Three.

Four.

Five.

Say it Hakyeon, don't be coward!"Taekwoon!" Hakyeon called Taekwoon, softly but loud enough for him to hear it. Taekwoon turned around, "hmmm?"

Hakyeon advanced towards Taekwoon. "I'm sorry" Hakyeon said when he finally have closes the gap between them. "for that night" He scanned Taekwoon's face ; his eyes, his expression, searching for something. A hope. A chance. If we loved again, I swear I'd love you right. I miss you. I really do.

"It's okay", Taekwoon replied shortly. Giving a firm answer.

Hakyeon couldn't find it. The chance. He loses it, since long time ago. This is the reality. It hurts so much that he hopes this was just a dream. He doesn't realise what happened, tears coming out without him knowing as he watch Taekwoon walks away. Not turning back again this time.

Goodbye.