Wake up

Slice of life | Neo

"Hakyeon, wake up" Taekwoon whisper as he shakes Hakyeon faintly. "Please"

"How am I going to live without you" his eyes starts to water, "I can't"

Hakyeon was still lying helplessly on the hospital bed.

******

Taekwoon's POV

Im not mute. I can talk if I want to. I talk if I need to.

It's just that, I refused to do so. I chose to observed instead of talking. It's comfortable being like this, observing the others.

But that's not what the other thinks.

'Taekwoon is a freak'

'Look at how he look at us, is he planning something'

'I've never heard his voice'

'Taekwoon is weird.'

I'm used to hear things like that. There are times when they act like they were whispering but it was loud enough for me to hear what they said about me. I hear it all. Sometimes they just say it in my face. I don't really care though. Let they say what they want. People are free to say what they want to say anyways.

After a while, people start to take advantage on me.

'Taekwoon will lift that heavy thing'

'Taekwoon will clean the classroom'

'Taekwoon will never say no, he don't talk anyway'

'let Taekwoon do it'

I just nodded and do what they ask me to do. It's not hard anyways. It felt helping them. I don't mind.

But after that,

They started to do more.

Sometimes they beat me without a reason.

'he won't say anything'

'Taekwoon can be punchbag for the day. He'll never report it to anyone'

'because he don't talk'
 

******

"Stop it. Why are you doing this to him?!" I heard someone yelled from a far. I saw he ran to us ; me and the three boys. Jay, minki and Junho. They used to be my friends. Well, I thought they are. Until one day they suddenly starts to beat me without a reason.

"are you okay?" the boy asked me in concern. I have never saw him face before.

"oh. new kid. seems like you wanted to get beat to. you need some teaching" Jay said, his fist are ready to punch the boy.

"Try if you have the gut." The boy said bravely. He is a lot smaller than the three boys, can he fight them?

Jay started to launch a punch to the boy but he was fast enough to dodge it. Seconds after that the guard came. The three boys run away. The boy then report to the guard "They bullied my friend!" Since when I became his friend? The guard nodded his head as he look at me with pity. "Bring him to the nurse's office" The guard said before continue chasing the three boys.

"Hey, are you okay?" The boy ask me again. He help me stand up. I nodded.

"What is your name?" He looks at me. I showed him my name tag. "Ohh~ Jung Taekwoon" he smiled.

Hakyeon extended his hand, "I'm Cha Hakyeon"

******

"Taekie you're back!!" Hakyeon cheered happily as I walk in the house. After that day, Hakyeon and I had become really close. We even went to the same university. Hakyeon had always been there for me. He protects me with all he have. He is cheerful and fun to be with, but sometimes I wish he can control his anger.

It's not that he ever beat me when he is mad or something. Hakyeon will never hurt me. He rarely gets mad at me. But he tend to hurt those who hurt me.

If only I didn't bumped into Kangin on the way home today, it will not turn out this way. "Taek?" Hakyeon called me as he noticed that I was avoiding him.

I covered my face with mask and wear my favorite black hoodie. "I'm tired." I said, hoping that he will understand and leave me alone.

"Something is wrong with you" I heard Hakyeon muttered. We have been for so long that he can notice even a slight changes of me.

"Wait!" He hold my wrist, preventing me from running away. He forced me to face him. He reach my mask and in a second the mask are off my face. Hakyeon observed my face.

His face slowly turned red, boiling with anger. "Who did this?" He touch my purple cheek. Obviously someone has hurt his bestfriend and Hakyeon wouldn't let that person go.

I flinched. This is not what I want. Last time someone had accidentally punch me at the stomach, Hakyeon punched him back and the boy had to stay in hospital for three days.

"Tell me who. I'll kill him with my own hands" Hakyeon said again. He punch the wall angrily.

"I promised to take care of you didn't I? I'll protect you. Tell me who! I'll search for him. I'll kill him for you. who the -"

He punch the wall again

"hurt-"

again

"you"

and again

"I'll kill-"

Hakyeon hand starts to bleeds

"him"

I reach him, locking his hand in my grip and hug him to cool him down. "It's okay. It's okay. Calm down." I whispered and patted his back. "I'm okay. I'm okay"
 

******
 

"Taek, what are you going to do if I'm not around anymore? Who's going to protect you?" Hakyeon asked one day when we were watching his favorite drama.

I stop crunching the food in my mouth and look at him. Hakyeon is strange like this. Sometimes he would ask weird questions all of sudden. "Are you going anywhere? or you have incurable illness? are you dying?" I asked him back. I had never dream a life without him.

"No. What? are you happy if I have that kind of illness? What kind of friend are you?!!" He punch me playfully "answer me"

"I think I'll live peacefully. I can protect myself. plus, I don' have to cook for you too hahahha" I laugh as I said it. Hakyeon pouted. "I hate you. seriously" He stand up and walk to his room.

"yah! are you sulking? I'm kidding" I laugh. He is so sensitive nowadays.

******

Hakyeon started to play his ukulele

When I'm gone, when I'm gone
You're gonna miss me when I'm gone
You're gonna miss me by my hair
You're gonna miss me everywhere, oh
You're gonna miss me when I'm gone

When I'm gone, when I'm gone
You're gonna miss me when I'm gone
You're gonna miss me by my walk
You're gonna miss me by my talk, oh
You're gonna miss me when I'm gone
 

"No I'm not" I said playfully. 
He sang louder and almost shout at me
 

When I'm gone, when I'm gone
You're gonna miss me when I'm gone
You're gonna miss me by my hair
You're gonna miss me everywhere, oh
You're gonna miss me when I'm gone

When I'm gone, when I'm gone
You're gonna miss me when I'm gone
You're gonna miss me by my walk
You're gonna miss me by my talk, oh
You're gonna miss me when I'm gone

******

'When are you coming back?' I messaged Hakyeon. It's been six days since he goes back to his hometown, Changwon. I admit that I felt a little bored alone at the house. Usually I would go back to my hometown too but my parents are on vacation so there's no one at home.

After five minutes I heard my phone rang, I pick it up

"You miss me don't you? I knew it you can't live without me" I heard Hakyeon loud voice on the other side of the phone. He is cheerful like always.

"no, I'm not. I'm just bored"

"You are so egoistic Jung Taekwoon. But whatever I took that as you miss me" He stated.

Seriously. Why did I pick up his call?

He is soooo full of himself.

"I'm hanging up" I warned him

"Jeez. I'm going back tomorrow. Happy?"
 

******

I ran into the hospital as soon as I reach there. "Taek hyung, wait for me" I heard Hongbin shouted from the back, but I can't. I have to hurry. I head to the counter "Yes, can I help you?" the nurse asked me.

"I..I..I" I keep stuttering as I can't form any word to say. My face was bloodless. This can't be happening. Tell me this isn't happening.

"We're looking for a patient name Cha Hakyeon" Hongbin panting, he said and catching his breath. "Okay, give me a sec"

******

We headed to the room the nurse had told us. Hakyeon lying unconscious on the bed. His face was pale. There's scratches all over on his face and his body. His leg broke and being supported. His head were bandaged.

"Ha-Hakyeon" I rush to his bed. "Ha-Hakyeon, wake up" I shake his left hand softly. My tears fall down like razor blades. "Wake up" I said again, crying.

Hongbin touch my shoulder from the back, he was crying too.

******

I told him to go back the next day, because it was raining so bad that day. But he said he promised his friend to come back early. I still remembered he smiled, saying he can't break his promises. He is so stubborn. If only he listens to me....

I recall what Hakyeon's sister told me.

Stupid.

You still broke your promise.

You said you're going back.

It's been a week.

Stupid.

Fool.

You said you're going back.

Liar.

You're a liar Hakyeon.

******

It's been two weeks since Hakyeon's accident. The doctor said that he was healing but he still haven't open his eyes. The doctor said everything is okay. but he isn't waking up.

I visited Hakyeon every single day. I even take turn with his family staying overnight at the hospital, taking care of Hakyeon. Sometimes I would bring flowers. Sometimes I bring book to read it to him. Sometimes I even talk to him, I tell him stories even though I know he'll not react to what I say. But somehow, deep in my heart I know he can hear it.

or maybe I hope so.

"You're a good friend Taekwoon" Hakyeon's sister patted me on the shoulder one day, she hand me an apple."At least eat something. When was the last time you eat?"

I take the apple and smile at her. I couldn't even remember when was it. I look at Hakyeon again. I look at the wire that being painfully connected to his body.

I suddenly remembered Hakyeon cheerful voice when I come back after having a rough bad day. 'Taekwoon are you okay? Let's do something you like! Remember that movie you liked so much? Let's watch it again! Taekwoon I bought your favorite meat. Let's eat it!! 

"Hakyeon is a good friend" I replied after a while.

Hakyeon always love watching drama. I remembered that one day he forced me to watch his favorite drama with him. I end up accompany him watching the dramas almost all the time.

"Hakyeon, guess what?" I said as I took a sit beside his bed.

He didn't reply, but back then he would always asked me back, "what?" excitedly. I miss his excited face that would glitter as he want to know what I'm going to say.

I open my laptop, "I downloaded your favorite drama. Remember that drama called cheer up? You love it so much right? We haven't finish the drama yet you know?"

I open a folder named 'Cheer up' and click 'play' on episode 8. "Let's watch it"

After two hours of watching the drama I get tired. I look at Hakyeon that was still lying peacefully. "Hakyeon, why are you still sleeping? Wake up."

"You said you'll protect me. How are you going to protect me if you're lying like this" my eyes starts to water again. I did not bother to wipe my tears. I hold Hakyeon's weak hand and squeezed it lightly, "I miss you"

Suddenly I remembered all Hakyeon's words. My memories with him being played again like a flashback. I remember the first time we met. Our graduation day. The day when we both got into the same university. The day when we first time drank liquor and get drunk together. The day when we begged our parents to let us rent an apartment near the university. The day when we went to Jeju Island for vacation. Everything being played back.

'Hi, I'm Cha Hakyeon'

'I promised to take care of you didn't I? I'll protect you'

'you're my bestfriend Taekwoonie'

'You miss me don't you? I knew it you can't live without me'

'You are so egoistic Jung Taekwoon'

'I'm going back tomorrow'

******

Hakyeon's POV

It hurts. My body hurts.

I look around. It was dark. I was left alone in the dark.

Where am I?

Am I dead?

'Hakyeon, why are you still sleeping? Wake up.'

'You said you'll protect me. How are you going to protect me if you're lying like this'

'I miss you'

Taekwoon?

Is that you?

Why...

Where are you?

I look around, searching for Taekwoon.

Suddenly I saw a light beam in front of me. I ran and ran, chasing the light

"Taek!! Is that you?" I scream wholeheartedly.

"Taekwoon!!" I yelled. The light slowly fading. I felt my body slowly started to weaken.

I close my eyes.

I'm scared.

Taek help me.



 

I open my eyes when I felt my hand being squeezed.

It's so bright that it hurts my eyes.

I look around to the unfamiliar place.

Where am I?

I try to move my hands and legs.

I thought I was, I thought I could move them.

I couldn't.

I desperately try to move my toes, but it felt like there was nothing there.

What happened? I started to panic. I tried again, slowly and steadily, I gained some control over my fingers. I could move my thumb. I sighs in relief.

I then notice someone crying while holding my hand. I squeeze his hand, and suddenly he look up.

He look at me in disbelief.

I wanted to ask what happened but I'm too weak, my voice won't go out.

Taekwoon. Taekwoon.

He look at me and cried. He cried and cried. "Hakyeon" He said

I nodded. I look at him warmly. I observe Taekwoon that look like a mess. His hair was all over and his face are swollen.

"You're back. I thought I lost you. I thought you left me!" He cried again.

"You promised to protect me but you didn't wake up. I'm afraid. I thought I lost you" He cried so bad.

"It was so hard for me. I miss you so much I felt like dying"

Seconds after, the doctor rush in, checking me all over.

After a while the doctor smiled, looking at me, "Welcome back"

I turn my head, looking Taekwoon. He was still crying.

I smiled at Taekwoon.

"W-Welcome back Cha Hakyeon"