Sweetness

Styrofoam

Kyungsoo gets handed a steaming styrofoam cup that smells like coffee.
 

He watches as people walk slowly on the sidewalk.
 

A little girl passes by giggling holding a bright orange balloon.
 

Kyungsoo smiles.
 

Jongin gets handed a steaming styrofoam cup that smells like chai tea.
 

He watches as the boy in front of him sips on his drink.
 

A little bright idea suddenly appears in his distracted mind.
 

Jongin smiles.
 

"Excuse me, may I sit here?"
 

Kyungsoo looks away from the window and turns to face the stranger talking to him.
 

Kyungsoo stares up at the male, blurting out a curt response, "Yes."
 

He clears his throat, cheeks becoming warm. "I mean, yeah, uh, sure."
 

Kyungsoo makes a gesture with his right hand and removes his books from the table.
 

"Thank you for letting me sit here," the stranger says.
 

Kyungsoo nods shyly, his suddenly dry lips. "It's no problem, really, I know there aren't many tables available."
 

"I'm Jongin, a third year. What about you?"
 

Kyungsoo puts down his cup and gives Jongin his undivided attention. "I'm Kyungsoo, a third year as well." He smiles, accepting Jongin's hand and shaking it. "It's nice to meet you, Jongin."
 

"Likewise, Kyungsoo."
 

They held hands for a few more seconds before letting go.
 

"Do you always sit alone?" Jongin asks, rummaging through his bag to grab a packet of animal crackers. He offers a camel to the boy in front of him who accepts the sweet treat with a polite smile.
 

Kyungsoo chuckles, eyes roaming over every student enjoying their lunch before focusing them again on Jongin's face. "Yeah, my friends don't have this lunch so I sit alone each day. It's just me and this styrofoam filled, cup."
 

Kyungsoo shakes his head. "What about you?"
 

Jongin munches on another cracker. "My friends like to eat out most of the time. But I declined their invite today."
 

Kyungsoo nods, accepting another cute cracker. "Oh, were you not hungry today?"
 

"Something like that."
 

Kyungsoo gives the male in front of him a look and shrugs his shoulders. "Not hungry yet you're eating animal crackers?"
 

 "Um..." Jongin taps on the cookie before popping it into his mouth, chewing and swallowing it. "Fine, I'm a little hungry," he grumbles, giving Kyungsoo a few more before dunking a hippo into his chai tea.
 

Kyungsoo smiles, shaking his head. "Why don't you buy a sandwich? I'm sure there are plenty left."
 

"I'm pretty sure they're not that fresh."
 

Kyungsoo rolls his eyes. "Alright, hold on a sec." He stands up with his bag and disappears for a good ten minutes, leaving Jongin with his tea and crackers wondering if Kyungsoo forgot all about him and decided to leave.
 

"Here's a burger with fries and a chocolate frosty," Kyungsoo spoke upon arrival, placing the hot items on the table before Jongin who looks at him with an expression of shock.
 

"What."
 

"Eat it because I spent a little over ten minutes in a line behind stupid people just to get you this." Kyungsoo plops down onto the chair and gives Jongin a pretty smile.
 

"Um," Jongin looks down at the food before him and looks back up at the space in front of Kyungsoo. It was empty. He then broke off a piece and gives Kyungsoo half of everything. "We are sharing, okay? You can't say no to me."
 

Those words caused Kyungsoo to let out a loud laugh and take the food from Jongin's extended hand. "Sure, okay," he replies, taking a bite of the burger.
 

"You know," Jongin begins after swallowing and taking a sip of his tea.
 

"Hm?"
 

"I have a feeling that we're going to be great friends."
 

A blank look was sent Jongin's way. "Because I bought you food?"
 

"No, because I like you."
 

Kyungsoo's eyes widen slightly, cheeks becoming baby pink. "Oh...I like you too, Jongin."
 

Jongin smiles. "Let's hang out after school if you want?" Jongin suggests as he gives Kyungsoo half of his fries.
 

"Yeah, sure, that sounds cool with me." 
 

"Great, we can go get some ice cream."
 

Kyungsoo lifts up a fry and brings it to his lips, pink tongue darting out to the salt off before his white teeth bit into it. "Isn't that what couples do, though?" Kyungsoo wonders out loud as he eats another fry.
 

Jongin watches Kyungsoo the fry and sees how his plump lips wrap around it— "There's nothing wrong for two friends to get some ice cream together, right? It's not like we're going to date or anything like that."
 

Jongin immediately regrets uttering the last few words when he saw the glint in Kyungsoo's eyes dull the slightest bit. "Ah, um, n-not that I wouldn't mind dating you! B-because you're also very handsome a-and," Jongin stutters, fleeting eyes glancing away to the window. "I'm going to stop talking now."
 

Kyungsoo sits silently staring at Jongin. "Jongin, hey, look at me."
 

Jongin slowly turns his head to look at Kyungsoo. He bit his lip out of nervousness. This wasn't like Jongin at all. Usually, he was very confident and suave with everyone else but ever since he heard Kyungsoo sing a song for the talent show, Jongin knew he had to talk to him. So here he is, completely flustered and making a fool out of himself. 
 

"Yes?"
 

Kyungsoo leans forward and smiles. "I wouldn't mind dating you either but I also don't know anything about you, so how about we go get that ice cream and we can—"
 

Jongin cuts him off. "Sorry, but I should be the one saying that."
 

Kyungsoo giggles and it was the sweetest sound Jongin had ever heard. "Of course, my apologies."
 

They eventually get up and left together, walking side by side while still keeping their conversation alive.
 

"So where should we meet?" Kyungsoo asks as they were standing in front of his next class. Jongin said that his class was upstairs on the second floor.
 

"Um," Jongin thinks for a few seconds. "In front of the cafeteria where that little water fountain is."
 

"Where people sit on tables to talk nonsense?"
 

Jongin finds himself laughing yet again. He's never smiled so much in his life. "Yeah, where the people your mom tells you to stay away from."
 

Kyungsoo shoves Jongin playfully and joked by saying, "Are you included in that category too?"
 

"Does it look like I am?" He struck a pose and Kyungsoo let out a peel of laughter.
 

"Okay, I'm going to have you stop there."
 

"You're just jealous."
 

"Yeah," Kyungsoo agrees, smiling up at Jongin. "I guess I'll see you when the bell rings then."
 

Jongin nods, smiling as well. "Yeah. See you later, Kyungsoo."
 

"See you," Kyungsoo replies, turning around and disappearing behind the door.
 

Jongin stands before the door Kyungsoo disappeared through with a silly smile on his lips. He then turns around and proceeded to his last class of the day.
 

+
 

The time is 2:20 PM and the sun is high in the sky shining down on students mingling throughout the entire school.
 

It's hot and cool at the same time.
 

Kyungsoo doesn't know how that works but it seems like it does so he sits by the fountain, earphones in to drown out the loud chattering surround him.
 

The song Armoire Nocturne whispers into his ears and calms his racing heart. Kyungsoo doesn't know why he's feeling so nervous about seeing Jongin again. He scrolls through his messages and opens a recent text from his mother stating that she won't be home until Tuesday morning. Business trip. She'll be away for an entire week, again leaving her son to fend for himself.
 

Kyungsoo sighs sadly, already used to being home alone all the time. He scratches the back of his neck to get rid of a little itch and closes the messaging app in order to go to the internet. He searches up a recipe in how to make strawberry shortcake cupcakes. Since he'll have nothing to do while his mother is away, might as well bake something to bring to his friend's.
 

There's a sudden tap on his shoulder and Kyungsoo jumps, phone tumbling from his hands into a tan hand that gives it back to him. Kyungsoo gasps and quickly looks up only to find Jongin's face inches away from his own. "Um," Kyungsoo says, cheeks on fire as he watches Jongin leave his personal bubble with a laugh.
 

"Sorry," he apologizes. "I didn't mean to scare you but you weren't answering when I called for you."
 

Kyungsoo figures jongin hadn't seen the earphones he was wearing due to his hoodie covering the white cable. "It's alright, Jongin. I was listening to music while waiting for you."
 

Kyungsoo accepts Jongin's hand and together they proceed to leave the courtyard and head to the gates, or what Kyungsoo thinks they were going. He follows Jongin to the schools parking lot, looking around at all the other students standing by and others getting into their cars.
 

"My car is this way," Jongin says after being silent. He takes out his keys upon arriving at a sleek black car and unlocks it, going around to open the car door to Kyungsoo who wasn't expecting it.
 

"Oh, thank you, Jongin." Kyungsoo felt his entire body warm up and hurriedly got into his seat, looking away when Jongin gives him a smile and shut the door.
 

"It's no problem," Jongin says once he turns on the car and backs out to leave. "Um, so what are you studying?" He asks to get rid of the awkward silence.
 

Kyungsoo chuckles, pink tongue his dry lips. "Music. What about you?"
 

"Dancing, even though my parents want me to become a neurosurgeon since that's what they both are but it's not my kind of thing."
 

Kyungsoo's eyes widen at the information. "Wow, you must be loaded then!"
 

"Yeah, but my parents are never home so I'm always alone which sounds pretty sad but yeah." Jongin shrugs his shoulders as he puts the blinker on to go left.
 

Kyungsoo hums sadly. "Well, my dad isn't around and my mom is always on business trips so I usually bake when she's out. If not I'd stay locked up in my room watching anime or something."
 

The car turns left and keeps going straight for about six minutes. 
 

"Yeah? I guess we both feel lonely then."
 

They turn to each other and smile. "Yeah, but if you're going to be my company then I wouldn't mind staying home alone." As soon as Kyungsoo says that his face heated up.
 

"I wouldn't mind at all either if it was you, Kyungsoo."
 

+
 

Jongin holds the door open for Kyungsoo and soon they are inside the ice cream store. Rows upon rows of different flavors and colors hid behind rectangle sized windows. Their eyes lit up and they hurriedly approached the counter to order their frozen treats.
 

"Pick any flavor and toppings you want, okay? I'm paying." Jongin reminds Kyungsoo as he begins to order first.
 

Kyungsoo nods, stepping close to Jongin to also look at the variety of flavors. They were almost pressed together and neither of the two, minded. "I would like two scoops of mint chocolate, please."
 

Jongin stands to the side eating his frozen treat while staring quietly at Kyungsoo.
 

"Would you like any toppings?"
 

Kyungsoo nods happily and points at the bottle of melted marshmallows. "Yes, some of this and marshmallows, please."
 

"Cute," Jongin mumbles under his breath, lips curving up into a sweet smile.
 

Once Jongin pays, they sat down in a secluded booth. "Hey, Soo, how old are you?"
 

Kyungsoo pauses his movements at the nickname before bringing it back down to his ice cream. "I'm 17, why?"
 

Jongin shakes his head, the corner of his lip. "Just asking. I'm also 17." He says and opens his mouth again, "When's your birthday?"
 

"January 12th."
 

"Really?! Mine is on January 14th!"
 

"We can celebrate our birthdays together then!" Kyungsoo suggests as he smiles.
 

They spend the rest of their day together trying different ice cream flavors even though Jongin knew his wallet would be crying by the end of the day, he didn't mind it seeing how Kyungsoo's face would light up with a sweet smile every time he discovered a new flavor he liked.
 

"I had such a nice time with you today, Jongin," Kyungsoo says with a smile as he turns to Jongin when they stop in front of his house. He has his book bag resting on his lap while his fingers on his right hand were busy fishing out his house keys.
 

Jongin chuckles, shyly scratching the back of his ear. "I did, too, Kyungsoo."
 

A soft pop song was playing in the background as the two males stared at each other quietly, small smiles on their lips.
 

"Will it be okay for me to pick you up tomorrow morning?" A shy blush blossomed on Jongin's cheeks as he waits for Kyungsoo's answer.
 

"I would really like that," He smiles, eyes twinkling. "You'll be my personal driver." Kyungsoo laughs cutely, covering his mouth when he sees Jongin's shocked expression. It was the cutest thing ever.
 

"Again, what." Jongin snorted and slowly wraps his fingers around Kyungsoo's wrist to pull his hand away from his mouth. "Don't hide your smile."
 

"Uh?" Kyungsoo tilted his head to the side, confusion swimming in his brown eyes. "Why not?"
 

"Because it's pretty."