Night/Day

The Day He Met the Night

The night comes to life; it hums and shakes and reaches its arms out into the darkness to capture aloof and oblivious victims. It searches and yearns and pulls them in by the desires of their hearts. Tonight's victim is Kim Jonghyun, he's a slightly introverted producer--cramped in his studio and tapping out the melody of his next big hit.

Jonghyun is sort of a recluse, “loneliness creates the art of solitude” he once so fancifully said to his sister. She of which brushed him off, but today is different. Today she aims to get him out of his studio.

 

Jonghyun lifts his head when he hears the sound of padding feet nearing his bedroom door. He glances at his wristwatch wondering who would be sneaking around his place at 11:30 at night. He glances tentatively at the nearing shadow and then towards the baseball bat his mother gave him when he was twelve. He never used it much. He rises up slowly from his desk chair and edges his way over to the bat. The shadow comes to a stop just outside his room door and Jonghyun truthfully wonders who could be trying to rob him. He considers himself a tad bit below the belt of luxury; ripped jeans, Nike tennis and a wardrobe consisting of all black, so it comes to a shock that someone is actually going through the clothes in his hallway closet. A groan comes from the shadow and Jonghyun's left hand slowly wraps around the cold handle of the bat. Slowly...slowly. He chants in his head. And he steps cautiously towards the door, he uses his right hand to grip the edge of the door and then he yanks it open, the bat high in the air.

 

“I'll swing.” He exclaims flatly, trying to hide the racing of his heart. The shadow freezes and then a bright, far too familiar laugh comes from it.

 

“Jonghyun,”

 

“S-Sodam, what the hell?” He lowers the bat and flicks on his bedroom light. The warm, yellow glow doses his sister and illuminates her glowing face.

 

“I knew you'd be up, so I'm just paying a little visit.” She explains before continuing her exploration of his closet. Jonghyun sighs and leans against the wall. He stares at his sister in shock and frustration.

 

“I'm twenty-seven now, you can't just barge into my place…” he mumbles.

 

She peers him up and down and then into his room. Her eyes drift around his room first stopping at his bed and the made up blankets. With a smirk she murmurs. “It's not like you had anyone over,” she pulls out a leather jacket. “That's why I'm taking you out tonight.”

 

“Sodam, I told you already, I--”

 

She shoves the jacket into his chest. “There's plenty of men at the club you can charm.”

 

Jonghyun rolls his eyes and holds the jacket loosely in his arms. “That's not the point.”

 

“What? You haven't been out of this apartment in months.”

 

“I've been working on a new single.”

 

“Your fans can wait.”

 

“They've been waiting for a comeback for a year.” Jonghyun says exasperated.

 

Sodam shrugs. “You need a muse and that's what we're going to find for you tonight.”

 

“You're a ing mess.” He mumbles.

 

She raises her finger and wags it warningly. “Language.”

 

Jonghyun smiles sheepishly and holds the jacket out to look it over. “Where are we going?” He asks and Sodam smiles.

 

“To the club.”

 

Jonghyun freezes and stares at his sister in utter disbelief. “Noona!”

 

“It's time to let out the wild side of the Kim's!” She declares with a flip of her hair and a smirk. “Its masquerade night,”

 

Jonghyun begins to open his mouth in protest but Sodam whips out a pair of masks. “Don't worry my dear brother, you're in good hands.” She hands Jonghyun a mask and shoves him back into his room. “Hurry and change, I'll be outside.” She closes the door leaving Jonghyun in the silence.

 

He shoves a hand through his hair and stands in the middle of the room in thought. It's not that he hated clubs or the idea of clubbing, it's just that sometimes things got too out of control and Jonghyun's the type of person that likes having control in his life. When he goes to a club he feels as though he's spinning--it's dizzying and intoxicating. Everyone seems so mysterious in the dark, smoky air, the only glimpse of their face comes from the flashing lights.

 

The reason he stopped going to clubs was because it became addictive. He slides on his jacket and ruffles his hair. But for tonight, the idea of finding a muse is what pushes him to escape the confines of his bedroom. With a thoughtful grin he places the red and black mask over his face and escapes into the night.

 

A few moments later…

 

The club isn't just a club, it's an ornament in the heart of Seoul. It shines and glimmers and devours every soul that steps into its embrace. It's the type of club that makes Jonghyun feel as though he's living in another time. His sister pats him on the shoulder once they're inside and whispers beside his ear. “Welcome to paradise.” She teases in English, Jonghyun pushes her away but he does so with a smile. Sodam beams and hurries off into her own realm of the club. Jonghyun looks around; the music seems to thump with the beating of his heart and he smells something sweet in the air. Wine? Perfume? He glimpses from the corner of his eyes two bodies moving fluidly against each other, his cheeks flush and he hurries over to the bar.

 

The bartender looks him up and down and Jonghyun nods his way not sure yet about what he wanted to order. He sits on the barstool and studies the swarm of bodies on the dance floor--they're all wearing masks. Wildly enough it reminds Jonghyun of an opera, something he watched years ago on his own. It was either a romance or thriller or maybe both. Their bodies all seem to move as one, a swaying, mellifluous mass. Surprisingly it's a bit of a turn on for him. The way their hips move and lips part in search of air--a giant enigma of . He swallows and finally decides to order something to cool his throat. He downs the glass in one shot and then asks for another. The tempo to the music changes to something slow and jazzy, the type of music Jonghyun produces, it's only after a moment does he realize that it is in fact his song playing, a remixed version that is. His lips on the rim of the glass comes to a still and his eyes begin to glaze over. Am I drunk? He the rim of the glass dazedly and then hums along to the song. He closes his eyes allowing the atmosphere of the club to swallow him whole.

 

The air beside him shifts as someone takes a seat on his right, Jonghyun catches a whiff of their cologne and he inhales it deeply. Sweet.

 

“I'll take a Hennessy.” The person says, their deep voice awakening a feeling of euphoria inside Jonghyun. “Pure white, please and light on the ice.” The person, Jonghyun comes to realize is of a classy nature. The way he accentuates his words when he orders and the drink as well. Hen-ess-y. The way he pronounced such a word makes Jonghyun hot all over and desperate to hear it again...or maybe it's the alcohol.

 

“First time?” The man questions and it takes Jonghyun a moment to realize that the man is speaking to him. He opens his eyes in bewilderment and nearly chokes when their eyes meet. The man smiles. “Little lamb,” he muses. “You'll get swallowed up in a place like this.”

Jonghyun is momentarily confused, but then he laughs lightly.

 

“I'm no lamb.” He says offhandedly but judging by the expression on the man's face he's thinking of something else.

 

“Hmm.” is all he says before turning away. Jonghyuns gaze lingers on him and he's a bit taken aback by the glamour of his mask. A gold mask with black floral accents and pearls at each corner of the eye. Jonghyun has the sudden urge to address him as Fatale. He swallows thickly and crosses his legs, an action the man takes pleasurable note of. “Thanks.” The fatale says to the bartender as he's handed his drink.

 

Jonghyun slowly places his glass down, trying to appear as well put together as the man beside him. But Jonghyun quickly realizes that such a thing is not possible. This man has a certain charm and facet that is not easily attained by people other than himself. This Fatale is truly…

 

“Want to dance?” Jonghyuns surprised to hear such a question thrown into the air and even more surprised to find out that it's his own voice which has propositioned it. The Fatale raises a curious brow and places his glass down as well. And such a simple motion creates a vivid image of satin bedsheets and desperate moans. Jonghyun folds his fingers together and the Fatale tilts his head inquiringly.

 

“Shouldn't we exchange names?” To Jonghyun the question seems unnecessary as he's already taken to calling this attractive man his “Fatale.” But he nods either way because he hopes this will be the name he'll be calling for tonight and for a long time after.

 

“Sure, that would only make sense.” Jonghyun replies smoothly and his Fatale smiles and holy it's such a heart stopping smile. Jonghyun places a hand to his heart and his cheeks darken.

 

“Right….” slowly the man rises to his feet and his mask catches a glint of light that ignites his face in a magical glitter. Jonghyuns in love and aroused. He rises from his seat as well and follows the man onto the dance floor. “The name’s Kibum.” he yells above the music.

 

“K-Kibum?”

 

“Yeah,” his Fatale now known as Kibum assures him. “Yours?” He turns his back to Jonghyun and disappears on the dance floor. The swarm of bodies swallow him whole and his golden mask molds into the array of colors, flashing lights and swaying torsos. A momentary dread seizes Jonghyun's heart and he pushes into the wild bodies in search of Kibum. He catches a glimpse of his mask and then he's gone again. Now Jonghyun's heart is racing and the music pounds all around him, drilling a hole into his mind. He stops in the midst of the moving masks and looks everywhere in search of Kibum. The flashing lights blind him and the music numbs him. He breathes deeply and shoves a hand through his hair. “.” He hisses biting down on his bottom lip in frustration. Right when he had found someone, he outright loses them, his sister would enjoy such a pitiful story.

 

“Lost me?” Jonghyun shudders and chokes on the intensity of Kibum's voice beside his ear and the playful hand on his hip. “I told you this place isn't for you.” Kibum laughs lightly and begins to step back, but Jonghyun grips his hand and forces it down towards his crotch.

 

“This place might not be,” Jonghyun tilts his head and kisses Kibum's lower lip. “But you sure as hell are.” His dark eyes glitter, a sign that the magic of the club has begun to enchant him and Kibum smiles right into the kiss. He eases his hand over Jonghyun's crotch and palms him in tempo to the rhythm of the music. They sway together, their lips locked and tongues tangling. Their masks bump but that doesn't stop them, Jonghyun turns around so that they're pressed chest to chest. He shudders and moans into Kibum's mouth when their pelvises lock together. He reaches up and entangles his fingers in Kibum's dark hair.

 

“So soft…” he huffs and Kibum grins as he begins to dance with Jonghyun. He drapes his arms over Jonghyun's shoulders and leans down to kiss the side of his neck. Jonghyun's eyes flutter. This feeling, this intensity. Everything is flowing through him; Kibum's gaze and touch, the music and these sensations. Kibum's fingers inch up the waistband of his pants and Jonghyun shivers from expectation. Kibum teases him for a moment by using his finger to trace up and down Jonghyun's lower abdomen and then inch his way past his boxers only to stop. Jonghyun's grip on his hair tightens and he grunts beside Kibum's ear. “Stop. Teasing.”

 

Kibum smirks and then dips his hand down, his cool fingers wrap around Jonghyun's shaft and Jonghyun's back dips in and he breathes shakily. Kibum begins to dance, hiding his lewd movements by rolling his hips to the beat. Kibum tilts his head up to the ceiling and rolls his neck to the tempo. Jonghyun's gaze follows Kibum's sensual movements and his hand in Kibum's hair slides down to the base of his neck so that he can hold himself steady.

Jonghyun can admit that it's been a rather blank slate month for him, meaning that he hasn't had or felt pleasure in what seemed to be decades. So he knows he won't last long with the way Kibum is touching him and looking at him. Those endlessly dark eyes and alluring lips.

 

Jonghyun pulls Kibum down towards him and whispers. “If you don't stop…” he breathes shakily. “I'm going to .” Kibum's hand comes to a still and he leans back to peer into Jonghyun's eyes.

 

A cat like smile descends on his lips and he yells above the music. “But we've just met!” Saying this Kibum removes his hand and presses himself flush against Jonghyun's body. It's electric and intoxicating the way their hearts beat in tempo with each other. Kibum begins to gyrate his hips against Jonghyun, which doesn't help his ing predicament in any way. He groans and his hands wander down the curve of Kibums back to the supple shape of his . Jonghyun isn't a forceful person, but right now he wants to see how Kibum will react. He squeezes his buttocks which earns him a pleased whisper beside his ear.

 

“Harder.”

 

Jonghyun's body tingles; his throbs and his s harden. He inhales the smoky air. He swears he's high right now with the way his body is reacting and the euphoria he's feeling in his mind. But he doesn't want it to stop. This feeling is something he'd like to capture in his next song. The intensity, the pleasure...Kibum.

 

“Give me your number,” he requests shakily, his abdomen coiling with the creation of his . “Please.”

 

Kibum smiles and then leans down to kiss the side of Jonghyun's neck. He and bites leaving a beautiful red mark.

 

“Maybe next time.”

 

Jonghyun wishes to tear off Kibum's mask and clearly look at his face. So he a finger along Kibum's jaw and then slowly up to the edge of his mask. One tug and I'll be able to see.

Kibum smiles sweetly and with one final kiss he murmurs. “Sorry, sweetheart.”

 

Jonghyun forces his tongue into Kibum's mouth and grips both sides of his face as a warm liquid stains the front of his pants. He grunts and looks into Kibum's face for one last time. He smiles brazenly. It was going to be fun explaining this to his sister.

 

The next morning…

 

The night had come and gone and with it so had Jonghyun's heart. There’s this annoying ringing sound from beside his ear and Jonghyun feels as though he’s being watched, but he doesn’t care to open his eyes. So, he keeps sleeping and thinking of the night that had whisked by as though it were all a dream. Those lips, those eyes, those hands and Jonghyun shudders as he thinks about it, a lewd moan tugs past his lips and out into the quiet air.

 

“Gross.” a feminine voice comments from beside him, Jonghyun’s eyes twitch. “Wet dream?” she asks and Jonghyun registers the voice as his sister’s and forces himself to wake up. He quickly notices the familiar throb of his morning wood and calmly places a pillow over his lap.

“Morning, sunshine.” Sodam greets.

 

“Did I...cause you any trouble?” He asks weakly.

 

Sodam shrugs. “A little,” she gestures with her fingers. “But I’ll overlook it since you had a good time.”

 

“A good time?”

 

She nods enthusiastically as she hands him a hot bowl of hangover soup. “When I found you, you were out cold; a handsome guy was holding your hand as you used his shoulder as a resting pillow.”

 

Jonghyun’s cheeks warm over as his sister describes to him all that happened. “He was a really cool guy, I couldn’t see his face and all, but his voice was more than enough to tell you about his personality. I thought ‘hmm, maybe they exchanged numbers.’”

 

“No…” Jonghyun replies softly, his grip on the pillow tightening. “We didn’t.”

 

Sodam gasps and then knocks Jonghyun in the arm nearly tipping over the bowl of steaming soup. Jonghyun freezes and holds the glass as though it’s his life and then looks to his sister with a glare. “The hell?!”

 

“You didn’t get his number?” Sodam asks, her expression blank. Jonghyun ignores her as he cautiously steps out of his bed. Sodam grips him by his bicep. “You didn’t get his number.” She grits, but it’s no longer a question, instead it’s anger.

 

“Yeah, I didn’t...I was…” Jonghyun pauses as he remembers last night. “, I want to...taste your .” he huffs as he comes down from his high.

 

Kibum graciously kisses him on the lips and whispers sweetly. “Next time.”

 

“I was busy.” Jonghyun mumbles as he places the soup down on the nightstand and hurries off to the bathroom. He slams the door shut and leans against the counter, his palms flat against the marble. He breathes deeply and quickly splashes some cool water onto his face. It’s a bit reassuring to know that last night wasn’t a dream, but a feeling of panic begins to seize Jonghyun’s heart. Where can I find him? I don’t have his number, not even a proper description of his face. And now I’m hung up and...slightly for him. The water runs and runs, the rushing sound soothes his mind and he lifts his head to look at his reflection. Jonghyun’s never considered himself a love-at-first-sight type of guy, albeit his sister’s constant reminder that he is indeed that type of guy. That’s how it was with Roo and that’s how it’s always been with music. One chord and he’s in love. But the masked man from last night--Kibum--Jonghyun’s more than in love, what he’s feeling is probably darker than love.

 

“Addiction?” he muses aloud and he gasps, his eyes widening. “No-way…” But simply thinking of Kibum makes Jonghyun’s knees turn into jelly and the desire buried beneath his years of hard work and music begins to rise. It rises and slithers around his heart until its tail is wrapped around him and soaks him in something he can’t exactly describe as obscene, but as something simply stunning. Jonghyun shivers and quickly turns on the shower, he lets the water run cold to cool his mind.

 

Every week after that night, he visits the same club in search of Kibum. He doesn’t search for his face, instead he listens for his voice. A low, coaxing, yet sweet and kind tone. It’s a tone that makes Jonghyun write song after song; his manager has become extremely happy and his sister now reaches the brink of tears each time he calls her to say he’s going clubbing.

 

Just once, he’d like to see him again.

 

It’s Sunday morning when Jonghyun goes to a recently opened cafe a few blocks down the street from his apartment. He’s never had the chance of going because he’s either

 

1: too impatient to wait in the “hella long line” or

2: in a whirlwind of song-writing and finding Kibum.

 

So, he’s a bit relieved as he comes to a stop outside of the cafe and sees that there are only two people waiting up front. They seem to be chatting with the owner; they laugh and gesture dramatically. Jonghyun opens the door and a little bell jingles above his head signaling his arrival. He’s a bit taken with the sound of the bell and so he stands in the doorway for a moment as he tries to think of a way to incorporate the jingle into a song.

 

“Oh, I have a guest.” he hears the owner say, but he doesn’t pay them too much attention as he looks for a place to sit so that he can think about what to order. Just as he reaches his seat, he hears the owner call out to him. “Welcome!” Jonghyun’s body immediately goes rigid and his head snaps around as he gazes towards the owner. The man smiles. “We’ve just opened up, so there’s some menus on the tables if you’d like to get familiar with what we do.” he smiles sweetly and Jonghyun’s heart thumps.

 

“Y-your voice…” he begins shakily, unsure if he should throw his name into the conversation. But his voice sounds so much like….Jonghyun gazes at the owner who has honey blonde hair, almond eyes and dimples. ing dimples. Jonghyun quickly realizes that he couldn’t possibly realize such a thing in the dark. But he remembers that Kibum had black hair, not blonde.

 

“Hmm?” the man tilts his head cutely and Jonghyun recalls the way Kibum had tilted his head a few weeks ago as they kissed.

 

He swallows and bows. “I’m sorry. It’s nothing.” he murmurs, the man gazes at him questionably. Jonghyun quickly hurries to the restroom, so he doesn’t catch the way the man’s confused expression shifts into fluttering amusement.

 

Jonghyun skids into the vanilla scented bathroom and lightly slaps his face. The voice is too similar to Kibum’s. Jonghyun grits his teeth and grumbles. “I should’ve gotten a closer look at his face…” Jonghyun berates himself for a good five minutes before exiting the bathroom and swiftly finding himself a table in the corner of the cafe. He fiddles with the the menu for a moment before deciding to actually open it and look inside. There's a selection of sweets and coffees that are way too strong for him this time of day, so he settles on a mint green tea and a honey biscuit.

 

A waitress walks over to him, her vibrant pink her tied up in a messy bun. She smiles warmly. “Ready to order?”

 

Jonghyun returns her smile. “Yes.” He repeats his order back to her and watches as she hurries off and a soft giggle escapes her lips. Jonghyun wonders why and then shrugs it off. The cafe is sweet smelling and has a bit of a homely feeling to it, accentuated by the glowing blonde hair of the owner who is surprisingly walking over to him. Jonghyun immediately straightens up when their eyes meet and forces a smile onto his face.

 

“Did the hair throw you off?” The blonde asks and it takes Jonghyun approximately five seconds to recognize him. His eyes widen and he raises a rude finger towards Kibum's face in question.

 

“I-I really didn't recognize you.” He blubbers, earning him a sweet laugh from Kibum.

 

“My best friend works for a hair salon, I asked him for a change.”

 

“But I never...got a good look at your face that night.” Jonghyun murmurs as his eyes flick across Kibum's face in astonishment. To call Kibum beautiful would be an understatement; he's stunning and in some aspects unreal. Jonghyun has to reach out and touch his face to confirm his existence. “You're…” he trails off trying to voice his thoughts, but instead of trying to diminish Kibum's existence with a mere word, he simply leans forward and lightly kisses him. “I missed you.”

 

A few ‘oohs’ erupt throughout the cafe accompanied by girlish giggles, but Jonghyun ignores them as he goes to kiss Kibum once more. “One: to see if you're real. Two: because I missed you and three…” Jonghyun lowers his voice and whispers against Kibum's lips. “Because I wanted to.” He smiles when Kibum's eyes widen before leaning forward and claiming his lips once more. Jonghyun kisses Kibum longingly, his tongue parting Kibum's lips smoothly. And then he finally leans back to his own lips and exclaim breathlessly. “You're sweet.”

 

A flustered shiver courses down Kibum's spine, he clears his throat and hurriedly rises to his feet. This reaction is far different from the Kibum of that night. Jonghyun wonders if it has to do with the time. When the sun has set Jonghyun will meet his Fatale, but in the bright rays of this afternoon he meets the love of his life.

He smiles warmly and reaches a hand out towards Kibum. “I'm Jonghyun, I don't think I told you my name that night.” Kibum stares at Jonghyun's hand for a moment before enveloping it with his own.

 

“Jonghyun.” Kibum repeats with a baffled smile. They shake on it and the beautiful night embraces the awakening sun.


FIN

 

A/N Jongkey are symbolic of night and day, but Jonghyun as the sun wans't able to awaken until he met with the night and discovered the beauty of the shadows, nightlife, love, etc. So at the end he is able to see that the night can coexist with the sunlight which creates a breathteaking sunset which is representative of their future love/romance together.